• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Bullshit, people have to stop saying this.
I expected a somewhat balanced pvp mode with imprvements after the alpha, and there are none.

It is the same thing like many people who still play Halo 4, they think it is still good or ok because they just dominate, but even that is just a sign of very poor matchmaking, gets even worse when they are bragging about "pub stomps" and then complain about the game when they get wrecked in customs by good people.
Same with destiny most people I see who like it are the ones who also use the OP autorifles, the tank thingy and brag how they killed lots of guys with their supers.

It plays similar to Halo, as far as the weightiness and shooting aliens goes. But the game is most definitely not Halo. Especially so in PVP. I actually really like the Control mode, I think it works really well, and probably would work well in Halo, too.

The PVP is a ton of fun for me, because it took what they were trying to do with Reach as far as classes and customizability is concerned and just explodes it into this ridiculously complex "meta" game. But it works way better here than it ever did "tacked on" to Halo. It's like having all your gun unlocks and skill trees/CoD create-a-class tied into the rest of the game modes in one slick package.

Looking at some of the skill trees for the higher level subclasses and weapons/gear and I just can't wait to see what this game becomes near the "end-game". There's triple jumps, explosive rounds, superman-style smash supers, teleporting, matrix-hovering, etc, etc. There's just a ridiculous amount of depth if you want to go into it. But because you're so "weak" at a base level, for the most part, if you shoot a guy and do well with your headshots, etc, he will die, no matter what upgrades you may have. Unless you're playing in the Iron Banner, that is. Which will also be really interesting to see in the higher levels.

I dunno, I like how Crucible (and any other mode, really) isn't so much an isolated experience away from everything else, and you get rewarded for playing across different modes, in each of those modes.

Again, it isn't Halo at all. But it is really fun and "feels" very similar when put next to a CoD or a Battlefield or even Borderlands. I highly doubt we will see this go "competitive" in the same way that Halo did, if at all, though. It's just too much about building and playing with your Guardian for that, but who knows.

Played about five games of Destiny PvP (360 version) and had a lot of fun. As soon as the game was announced as a weapon class/cod customisation/unbalanced starting brand of shooter I had very low expectations; I mentally dismissed it as a game I could play 'seriously'. Despite the imbalance and plethora of uncontrollable variables, it was still a blast to play. Double jump feels perfectly weighted, vehicles have great physics (if a bit OP), the sniper is very satisfying and the game overall has that polished Bungie sheen which made the Halo games such accomplished works. Still not sure if I'll buy the game though, if only because I don't think I'd have the time to play it, particularly with MCC coming at the end of the year.

Jezehbell

sdcc-halo-nightfall-mike-colter-3-682ead124b3941c6a1db2cf1525405c3.jpg
Classy as fuck

Played about five games of Destiny PvP (360 version) and had a lot of fun. As soon as the game was announced as a weapon class/cod customisation/unbalanced starting brand of shooter I had very low expectations; I mentally dismissed it as a game I could play 'seriously'. Despite the imbalance and plethora of uncontrollable variables, it was still a blast to play. Double jump feels perfectly weighted, vehicles have great physics (if a bit OP), the sniper is very satisfying and the game overall has that polished Bungie sheen which made the Halo games such accomplished works. Still not sure if I'll buy the game though, if only because I don't think I'd have the time to play it, particularly with MCC coming at the end of the year.
After playing Titanfall I find the double jump to be terrible and floaty.

I kinda agree with you but I feel the PVP is boring and unbalanced. PVE is something that will bore the shit out of me if I play it more than 3 times a week.

Still excited to play the full version.

Woorloog

Banned
Give Pulse Grenades EMP effect but no damage, ie they strip shields, or perhaps partially only, and shut down vehicles for sometime, (the further they're from the detonation, the less effect). Boom, we have unique utility grenade, that is picked up one at a time instead of two.
EDIT alternatively give them flashbang effect.

Fuchsdh

I do like some of the grenades from Borderlands in their unique effects--some turn into homing bomblets that return health, others serve as damage-over-time tesla coils. I think you could do something similar with grenades, but as people have pointed out you don't have to do much to pulse grenades to differentiate them more.

Bullshit, people have to stop saying this.
I expected a somewhat balanced pvp mode with imprvements after the alpha, and there are none.

It is the same thing like many people who still play Halo 4, they think it is still good or ok because they just dominate, but even that is just a sign of very poor matchmaking, gets even worse when they are bragging about "pub stomps" and then complain about the game when they get wrecked in customs by good people.
Same with destiny most people I see who like it are the ones who also use the OP autorifles, the tank thingy and brag how they killed lots of guys with their supers.

It IS somewhat balanced though. The weapons stats are equaled upon entering PvP, so even if you have some ridiculously powerful autorifle it will be nerfed for PvP.

The vehicles are awful, and matchmaking really needs to have some sort of skill matching, but other than that I really have no issues. Supers are easy (not free) kills and work well. Everyone has a powerful weapon set that ensure you have a weapon for almost every scenario. Special/Heavy ammo drops solves the issues spawning with power weapons. I don't understand how people can say Halo 4
....or CoD Ghosts....
is better, but everyone has their preferences. I have minor gripes with Destiny, but this might end up being Bungie's best multiplayer since Halo 2. Well at least for me.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I thought needler as soon as I saw the fallen weapons, the little grunt fallen guys seem to carry plasma pistols as well :p

Only they shoot blue instead of green.

However the biggest problem with the pve gameplay for me is that all the loot is exactly the same except for some stat boosts. There's nothing interesting about it. The weapons in each weapon type feel identical. I am liking the DMR (or whatever its called in Destiny) though. Shame I found an AR with better stats :/
Any chance you were playing PvP last night? There was a dude in our game named jem218 or something

It IS somewhat balanced though. The weapons stats are equaled upon entering PvP, so even if you have some ridiculously powerful autorifle it will be nerfed for PvP.

The vehicles are awful, and matchmaking really needs to have some sort of skill matching, but other than that I really have no issues. Supers are easy (not free) kills and work well. Everyone has a powerful weapon set that ensure you have a weapon for almost every scenario. Special/Heavy ammo drops solves the issues spawning with power weapons. I don't understand how people can say Halo 4
....or CoD Ghosts....
is better, but everyone has their preferences. I have minor gripes with Destiny, but this might end up being Bungie's best multiplayer since Halo 2. Well at least for me.

It's balanced in the idea that everyone is packing something overpowered as hell, but my issue is that I have no idea who is packing what or even when their one-shot kill ability is up.

CE > H2 > H3 > H4 > Destiny > Reach

That's my list as of right now. Maybe once we're able to start unlocking more powers and gameplay is more diversified will it be more fun for me; some of the later abilities look awesome. Right now with only three maps and a multiplayer that feels almost as grounded/restricted as CoD (and probably even more unbalanced), I don't think I'll be spending much time with Destiny after its first month.

At the end of September there's Hyrule Warriors, then Smash early October followed by Evolve/Sunset Overdrive at the end of the month, then TMCC and Smash in November (because Nintendo wouldn't release Smash after Black Friday, right?). Doesn't seem like Destiny will have much legs with me.

I do like some of the grenades from Borderlands in their unique effects--some turn into homing bomblets that return health, others serve as damage-over-time tesla coils. I think you could do something similar with grenades, but as people have pointed out you don't have to do much to pulse grenades to differentiate them more.
The same can be said with several weapons, so hopefully we'll see more diversity in the sandbox.

It's balanced in the idea that everyone is packing something overpowered as hell, but my issue is that I have no idea who is packing what or even when their one-shot kill ability is up.

I think there name is colored yellow if they have their super ready. All of the supers have a start up time and give you a short amount of time to kill the person trying to use the super.

CE > H2 > H3 > H4 > Destiny > Reach

That's my list as of right now. Maybe once we're able to start unlocking more powers and gameplay is more diversified will it be more fun for me; some of the later abilities look awesome. Right now with only three maps and a multiplayer that feels almost as grounded/restricted as CoD (and probably even more unbalanced), I don't think I'll be spending much time with Destiny after its first month.

At the end of September there's Hyrule Warriors, then Smash early October followed by Evolve/Sunset Overdrive at the end of the month, then TMCC and Smash in November (because Nintendo wouldn't release Smash after Black Friday, right?). Doesn't seem like Destiny will have much legs with me.

The same can be said with several weapons, so hopefully we'll see more diversity in the sandbox.

With regards to only the Halo titles, I never understand how people think the games just get progressively shittier with every subsequent release. My MP list is probably:

PC > 3 > 4 = Reach > 2 > CE

My biggest issue with Destiny pvp isn't even the differing abilities or 45 explosions going off at all times. The player movement just isn't good, feels like I have an anchor tied to me. It's very clunky.

My biggest issue with Destiny pvp isn't even the differing abilities or 45 explosions going off at all times. The player movement just isn't good, feels like I have an anchor tied to me. It's very clunky.
The clunkiness is one reason I disliked Halo 3 after CE and Halo 2. Switching weapons felt slow, aiming felt sketchy, movement and overall gameplay felt sluggish/clunky. Reach took a step back by not improving and even removing several features (while continually making the movement slower, jump height lower, increasing the power of weapons/abilities while shitting all over your movement options) while Destiny throws any identity of Halo balance out the window.

Destiny will be that game where you just want to jump into multiplayer for a few matches just to use some of the cool abilities lol

EDIT:
Halo 2's rapid-fire weapon switching felt more like a lack of polish than an intentional design decision. It's also the reason we got things like people luring enemies in lunge range only to whip out the Sword and take them out in the blink of an eye.
That was a problem with the lunge distance and not having weapons appear on the character models in Halo 2.

Halo 2's rapid-fire weapon switching felt more like a lack of polish than an intentional design decision. It's also the reason we got things like people luring enemies in lunge range only to whip out the Sword and take them out in the blink of an eye.

So a floating trip mine/homing grenade. That's cool does it work well?

Swarm actives if you are too close to the trap so it works wonders in corridors and corners, cant kill enemies fully shielded but weak them enough for a easy kill or do the final blow if you manage to weak them before reaching the trap.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I posted this in the beta thread earlier, but Destiny PvP is the Mario Kart of FPS. It's unbalanced and sometimes infuriating, but it's enhanced with skillful play and generally fun as hell.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I posted this in the beta thread earlier, but Destiny PvP is the Mario Kart of FPS. It's unbalanced and sometimes infuriating, but it's enhanced with skillful play and generally fun as hell.

I still think it's a mess but I'm always down for GAF donging parties. Everything's fun when you win every game!

Destiny multiplayer finally feels like actual Call of Halo, and is pretty fun but I would suspect the fun evaporates fairly quickly if you aren't in a party. I might buy it just for the co-op though, but like Henery said MCC is coming out too so why bother?

So it's an Arcade Arena Shooter? Party Shooter? Either way, that seems like an accurate assessment.

Are they on the remains of Installation 04, or 04(B)? I'm guessing B considering it should still be able to support life to a degree, and would tie in with Chief possibly being on the Ark.

Top Bottom