• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

The group in Nightfall seems to be diverse like FuD, which is a definitely more representative of what the UNSC should be like. Hopefully this can be extended into the games as well; at least for the marine personalities. They were quite well done in Halo 2 with their conversations, I might add.

Agree, on all points.

Random17

Furthermore, everything points
to the Flood powder thingys mentioned in the Forerunner saga. Basically the Ancient Human empire came across a bunch of powders from ancient starships. Initially found to be harmless, they used it on their pets as a way to genetically customize them. Lo and behold, the Flood arises out of these pets and the Ancient Human Empire takes drastic steps.

Also:

1. Darkness on an abandoned ring with a previous Flood infection.
2. The director of Prometheus is producing this. The helmet's yellow lights already suggest some link between the two.
3. Flood is coming back into the Halo story line as we saw in Escalation.
4. Fighting the Covenant again is very unlikely, and while it is possible that ONI/rogue UNSC/Innies might be present, I doubt they are the main threat.

TLDR:
The Flood is likely to be in Halo Nightfall.
Remember that the suggestion that the substance only harms humans may be false; it is not the absolute truth, but it is what they believe in.
Or, the Flood is targeting humans specifically.

Could someone elaborate on why Halo 4's multiplayer is better than Destiny's?

I can only speak for myself but the visual clarity of headshots combined with movement of thumbsticks in the gunplay is more accurate in any Halo title than Destiny. Currently I'm still in the phase of getting used to the sensitivity and headshotting as well simply getting a set of weapons and character build I feel comfortable with. It says a helluva lot for even starts vs. progression systems.

I'm a level 5 or 6 now and barely have any knowledge of the 4-6 main weapons at my disposal and there's more build options inbound all the time. It will take time, that's a given, but for me I feel sloppy in my aim given ADS and recoil. I'm feeling more random in my headshots than I ever have in Halo. For me in Halo when I miss it's because I missed, not the controls or my use of them. In Destiny when I miss half the time I'm struggling to identify the headshot during the moments of battle I need to and I'm still left feeling like it was my use of the controls lacking more so than me missing based on my aiming skills alone.

Sure it might be hard for an old dog like me to move away from Halo FPS aiming mechanics, it's not like I never played Quake or Doom or Duke or PC/keyboard or one stick goldeneye N64 etc but Destiny beta so far feels lacking in the clear cut PVP enemy headshots and my use of controls in getting it done.

I also feel more out of depth based on the builds/weapons than anything else I suppose. This generalised point is simultaneously Destiny's strength and weakness for me. In terms of the coop/story side I'm loving the aspects of getting used to the tower, finding items to be decrypted and making a character build (oh and dancing, a mate and I bumped in mid air and he fell to his death so I just up and owned it with a dance, that was surprisingly funny in chat). The seamless matchmaking is beautiful and it's hats off to Bungie with their implementation here, the ships, the randoms, the public events and all that gel so very well and on the fly for the most part.

On the crucible side in battle I feel disadvantaged due to my build and I'm simply not feeling even remotely close to 100% in sync with the gunplay controls. I know I have only played for a few hours so far and there is so much more to go but I would have thought that the aiming in Destiny would have been second nature for a Halo veteran. I need to find that build or weapon that agrees with my aiming muscle memory or whatever.

Perhaps it's just time required but so far I love the PVE and world stuff but I'm not a huge fan of the PVP so far. The lighting is drop dead gorgeous. The audio is top notch but the sound tracks pop in and out at weird inappropriate times. The cutscenes and story thrill me where the in game implementation seems off somewhat.

I'll definitely be purchasing Destiny and spending a great amount of time in this world, a number of friends have expressed as much and these are from guys'n'girls who still play Halo 4 regularly too. Perhaps I'll get in sync with my aiming or find a weapon/build that I do feel in sync with and then I'll probably claim Destiny PVP to be more fun or competitive :)

Given the two PVP maps are control objective based I hope we see more objective modes over slayer out of Bungie but for now I'm finishing work, spending time with the family, kissing the kids goodnight and then off to a Strike on hard (once I get ranked to the right level).

One thing Destiny solidifies for me personally...please always have the traditional Halo scoping aiming mechanics in future Halo titles. If you implement ADS don't do what Destiny has done and NOT have a Halo style mechanic alongside ADS weapons. I have no idea if I'm in the minority or majority here but I feel lost without it.

Perhaps it's why I never really picked up BF or COD against Halo.

QKT100

Banned
Furthermore, everything points
to the Flood powder thingys mentioned in the Forerunner saga. Basically the Ancient Human empire came across a bunch of powders from ancient starships. Initially found to be harmless, they used it on their pets as a way to genetically customize them. Lo and behold, the Flood arises out of these pets and the Ancient Human Empire takes drastic steps.

Also:

1. Darkness on an abandoned ring with a previous Flood infection.
2. The director of Prometheus is producing this. The helmet's yellow lights already suggest some link between the two.
3. Flood is coming back into the Halo story line as we saw in Escalation.
4. Fighting the Covenant again is very unlikely, and while it is possible that ONI/rogue UNSC/Innies might be present, I doubt they are the main threat.

TLDR:
The Flood is likely to be in Halo Nightfall.
Remember that the suggestion that the substance only harms humans may be false; it is not the absolute truth, but it is what they believe in.
Or, the Flood is targeting humans specifically.

Good, there hasn't been a good Halo game which hasn't had The Flood. A subset of gimp fans have tried to keep them out of the series for too long. At this stage, they are the only thing left which can save the series.

-Ryn

Banned
Destiny's multiplayer may have some balance issues but if those are ironed out and it gets a decent ranking system I think it could have a good competitive game. Can't wait to play the OTHER game modes. So far it's a lot of fun. If the PvP doesn't get fixed though it's fine. The PvE is where it's at anyway.

I hope we see a return of the flood but without any knowledge of it. Let it be something that creeps up on us instead of constantly putting out trailers with a quick shot of phallic tentacles slipping just out of view. Halo CE was awesome all the better for not showing them off.

Destiny's multiplayer may have some balance issues but if those are ironed out and it gets a decent ranking system I think it could have a good competitive game. Can't wait to play the OTHER game modes. So far it's a lot of fun. If the PvP doesn't get fixed though it's fine. The PvE is where it's at anyway.

I hope we see a return of the flood but without any knowledge of it. Let it be something that creeps up on us instead of constantly putting out trailers with a quick shot of phallic tentacles slipping just out of view. Halo CE was awesome all the better for not showing them off.

The mystery of this unknown threat, that we came to know as the Flood, was amazing in CE. If they do come back, I am in agreement that is how they should return.

Posted?

"The Nightfall character Locke, who was revealed to be played by Mike Colter earlier this week, will play a major role in Halo 5: Guardians. During the Q&A, the actor for Locke--who will be playable in Halo 5--said he "can't confirm whether he's a friend or foe of Master Chief." Frank O'Connor, Halo's franchise development director, says Nightfall will work as an origin story for the character. "You will see some new Spartan armor on Locke in Halo 5," he adds.

The show won't include the Pelican vehicle seen in the games, but the panelists did talk about a new vehicle known as the Condor, a mid-range transport that'll be a major part of the action. O'Connor says they originally referred to it as a "Super Pelican."

Talking about the game's world, O'Connor said, "Earth has been through a lot, but the colony worlds are a bit of mixed-bag." He then brought up the problems experienced on the planet Reach, but the colony in Nightfall is a "scrappy group trying to make it work."

Nightfall will also link back to the first Halo. O'Connor said that the story is set on a "partially functioning fragment of the original Halo ring," which has crashed onto the colony planet."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/comic-con-2014-halo-nightfall-directly-leads-into-/1100-6421287/

huh, very cool :D

jem0208

For me it's because of how imprecise Destiny feels. I have no idea, when I'm shooting someone, whether or not I'm going to get a headshot. This is in part due to the very random Reach esque bloom on the weapons. And also due to the aiming system. The hip fire reticule is far too large and inaccurate to consistently land headshots at any distance other than close quarters. Then the ads scopes cover where you're aiming with a red dot sight. This is okay for mid range (although good luck getting a headshot after your first shot due to the random recoil / spread) however it makes headshots unnecessarily luck based at long distances.

In Halo, I know when I'm going to get a headshot and when I'm not. I know that when I miss a headshot it's my fault and not due to random spread. The basic gunplay is far more precise than Destiny for this reason and others.

I also feel destiny is quite spammy. Mostly because of the prevalence of full auto weapons which are capable at mid to long range.

Another issue I have which plays into the same problem as above is that you have these traversal mechanisms which initially seem great. However I quickly discovered that you cannot accurately shoot whilst in the air due to bloom/spread! You have no accuracy in the air and as such completely grounds you in firefights. Instead of being able to take advantage of new navigational routes or use vertical movement as a means of dodging / evading fire in a shootout, you are forced to stay attached to you ground. Or else you will be an open target who can't shoot properly. It really helps makes the combat feel dull.

Another problem I have is the lack of any information which tells you how much health your opponents have. In Halo I know that after 4 body shots and a headshot my opponent will be dead. Obviously I've been playing Halo a long time however even the most inexperienced player will know that after a shield pop only one headshot is required to kill the other spartan. It's also easy to identify an unshielded player. In Destiny I have no idea whether this shot or the next will kill the player (I also have no idea whether these shots are guaranteed to be headshots) and there's nothing telling me this info. This really ties in to the problem of making the combat feel spammy and imprecise. In destiny I'm going to keep firing bullets at this guy until he hits the ground. In halo in going to fire 4 into the chest they sweep up for the 5th, then I can move on to his friend.

This also links to the issue that the TTK is far too low. 90% of the time the person who shot first will win. Get into a fight with more than one player? You're basically guaranteed to die unless they suck and can't aim. So few shots are required to die that I feel the majority of my deaths are caused by players I don't even see. Whether they be behind me or off in the distance hiding against the background which in many places makes the players almost indistinguishable from the scenery. In Halo if I'm shot in the back I have the chance to turn around and react. Shooting first at someone from behind is not a guaranteed kill. And as such the skill gap on halo is automatically higher. The low TTK also makes getting kills extremely unsatisfying.

All this combines to make the basic combat unsatisfying and frustrating for me. Then you have all the other issues. One hit guaranteed kills with supers where the opponent has no way of reacting or countering, spawning with one hit kill shotguns and snipers, OP weapons that you can only actually find through blind luck, stupid regenerating grenade mechanics etc.

There's more problems that I can't be bothered to list or go into detail about but that's the majority of them.

TL;DR: Halo is a more precise shooter with a much higher skill ceiling that relies on accuracy and headshots rather than one hit kill golden guns.

TL;DR2: They took all the problems with Halo Reach and removed everything which made it good.

Kibbles

Destiny MP is absolute shit that just depends on what you do and unlock/level up in campaign. It is not even whatsoever, easily the standout worst multiplayer game I've played since Far Cry 2. I've enjoyed the story mode so far but the MP is bad.

daedalius

Nightfall sounds like it will be amazing, looking forward to watching the panel when it's available!

The pvp in destiny is now filled with everyone starting with assault rifles and snipers, why use anything else?

-Ryn

Banned
Really wish I had a Kinect right now.

I just had a match on the moon map where I sent one of the enemy players across the map with a (accidentally) well timed rocket. It was great because he ended up falling off a ledge on the other side. The match was laggy though so the physics were probably also screwed.

jem0208

Really wish I had a Kinect right now.

I just had a match on the moon map where I sent one of the enemy players across the map with a (accidentally) well timed rocket. It was great because he ended up falling off a ledge on the other side. The match was laggy though so the physics were probably also screwed.

I genuinely love my Kinect.

I had my Xbox turned on, signed me in, and loaded up Wolfenstein exactly where I left off last night without me picking up my controller all whilst making breakfast.

I know people shit on it all the time but it's so fucking cool.

-Ryn

Banned

I had my Xbox turned on, signed me in, and loaded up Wolfenstein exactly where I left off last night without me picking up my controller all whilst making breakfast.

That's badass man.

The idea of being able to just dismissively wave at my TV like a king and have it do stuff is what made the Kinect cool. All I want is to be able to make waffles in the morning while I tell my Kinect to turn on something. I don't care what I'd just do it because I can. It'd be like having my own Jeeves.

Eventually the Xbox will also dispense drinks with little umbrellas...

That's badass man.

The idea of being able to just dismissively wave at my TV like a king and have it do stuff is what made the Kinect cool. All I want is to be able to make waffles in the morning while I tell my Kinect to turn on something. I don't care what I'd just do it because I can. It'd be like having my own Jeeves.

05d.jpg

jem0208

That's badass man.

Exactly. Sure, it's a bit shit when it comes to gesture controls etc. and I can't see it being used that compellingly in games except for gimmecky little mechanics. However the way everything is set up around voice commands is fantastic. Totally worth the money.

I need me a little Xbox waiter.

TheOddOne

The latest Escalation comic was legit fascinating. Found the pacing and content in previous issues uneven in places, because it mostly felt like they were padding it out. The latest one was devoid of that, just straight up good stuff from beginning to end.

Overall thoughts:
- Scummy way to use Chief as excuse for the New Phoenix incident;
- Fred, Kelly and Linda and Chief getting along like old times. Glad they did not introduce some kind of petty conflict to prevent them from working together;
- Wish they didn’t kill off the whole Spartan Black team;
- The tunnel with the bodies looked like something out of Hellraiser;
- I’m not sure if “Composer’s Abyss” is a location or thing;
- “I look forward to welcoming them to my world” is just a pretty cool line.

Same. I still feel freaking cool walking home and the first thing that happens when I walk into my room is my TV turning on and my Xbox telling me "Hi, Luis!" And getting my game ready before I even sit down and take my shoes off.

http://i.minus.com/iGhayKMqNG8Gz.gif

Halo 5 pls.

Love that vehicle and its physics.

My second night on Destiny was less enjoyable than the first. Did the 'Devils Lair' mission and couldn't wait for it to finish ten minutes in. how does a company that eschewed boss battles in 2001 in favour of thoughtful, dynamic enemy placement and encounter (think AotCR's dual bridge hunter battle or the final segment of Two Betrayals) decide that a giant floating orb being shot in the eye over and over again is in any sense exciting or engaging? And how dated is that Devil's Walker fight?

Fuchsdh

My second night on Destiny was less enjoyable than the first. Did the 'Devils Lair' mission and couldn't wait for it to finish ten minutes in. how does a company that eschewed boss battles in 2001 in favour of thoughtful, dynamic enemy placement and encounter (think AotCR's dual bridge hunter battle or the final segment of Two Betrayals) decide that a giant floating orb being shot for in the eye over and over again is in any sense exciting or engaging? And how dated is that Devil's Walker fight?

It took three of us about 30 minutes to plow through those bosses. It was a major uninteresting slogfest.

I'm not sure I'm going to buy Destiny in the fall. It's just not what I want. Borderlands at least had charm, some fire and wit. Destiny feels leaden with "grand space opera story" trappings, and I just can't get into it. I don't feel like the world is worth exploring like a Halo mission. I hate how the Tower feels like they took Fable 3's "in-game menu" system and just threw the pieces further away from each other (why the hell won't any of these major characters speak to me? It's just a gear screen after gear screen. I don't even get VO for the Crucible invitation?)

The PVP feels like a jumbled mess. I'm sure if I'd play longer I'd learn all the super powers, and I'd figure out more of the guns--but the arsenal is vast and so I'm always going to feel like loot was the deciding factor. If you had issues with Halo Reach and Halo 4's AAs/tac packages I don't see how this isn't 100x worse. Hip firing always feels ineffective to me, the bloom is Reachx10 on some weapons (which really gets annoying in the aforementioned boss battles where I'm just trying to finish it faster), and I realized that I don't feel like I can put the same care into aiming with the game--I'm watching numbers pop out of it rather than adjusting my aim consciously.

Lazslo

So I know people have said this before but I just got Xbone and was furious when I realized there's no way to play a Halo Game on it. Worst business decision ever. I haven't played many video games in the past couple years so I'm really out of the loop, but why in the world would MS put out a new platform without their biggest Franchise being compatible? Am I missing something here?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I know people have said this before but I just got Xbone and was furious when I realized there's no way to play a Halo Game on it. Worst business decision ever. I haven't played many video games in the past couple years so I'm really out of the loop, but why in the world would MS put out a new platform without their biggest Franchise being compatible? Am I missing something here?

This is a common thing now (I assume you're talking about backwards-compatibility). Different system architectures mean less chance of making old games work (or more work to get them to work).

Luckily for you, pretty soon you'll be able to play Halo 1-4 again in 1080p 60fps (with multiplayer!).
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KSQHX1K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you're bored right now try out the Destiny beta as it's open to everyone. Also there are some solid games to play aside from Halo.

Thanks for explaining your thoughts. There have obviously been a lot of positive impressions, but no real detailed mixed impressions so I'm glad to see some other ideas.

I don't think infinity settings are better, but legendary is IMO.

I agree that classic Halo (CE or H2) is better than than Destiny's multiplayer. When I compare the Destiny Beta PvP to Halo 4 it's to Infinity settings. It's kind of unfair to compare beta settings to settings created months after a full game release.

jem0208

there_is_no_need_to_be_upset-4390.gif

Just wait till the 11th of November.

Lazslo

This is a common thing now (I assume you're talking about backwards-compatibility). Different system architectures mean less chance of making old games work (or more work to get them to work).

Luckily for you, pretty soon you'll be able to play Halo 1-4 again in 1080p 60fps (with multiplayer!).
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KSQHX1K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you're bored right now try out the Destiny beta as it's open to everyone. Also there are some solid games to play aside from Halo.
Yeah true, I just would like to think the Brass at MS aren't all slow adults. Good Business is making your best selling franchise playable Day One on the new console you want to sell. I hope the decision for not being able to play Halo on XBone for a whole Year was for Tech reasons and not business related. But who knows, I got it anyway and I'm having fun in the Destiny Beta. Can't wait for that MC Collection, hoping there will be some fun HaloGaf Customs going on when the time
comes

willow ve

So in Destiny are the super long load times apparent on X1 or PS4? I feel like I spend as much time in my space ship as I do in the actual missions and multiplayer. Takes forever to fly from planet to planet on the 360.

My second night on Destiny was less enjoyable than the first. Did the 'Devils Lair' mission and couldn't wait for it to finish ten minutes in. how does a company that eschewed boss battles in 2001 in favour of thoughtful, dynamic enemy placement and encounter (think AotCR's dual bridge hunter battle or the final segment of Two Betrayals) decide that a giant floating orb being shot in the eye over and over again is in any sense exciting or engaging? And how dated is that Devil's Walker fight?

The Sparrow is great.

I've played the strike about 6 times now on both difficulties, and I still find it fun. I've pretty much done everything there is to do in the beta, now I'm just going to rock Crucible until it's over.

Fuchsdh

II assume the journos will be pretty quick on it, they got the Nightfall info up quickly and that was mostly tangental to the games.

Top Bottom