• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
You know, I am really enjoying the UI. I know we said this, but navigation is SUPER simple, like, almost impossible to get lost or confused, but the stuff the UI enables actually makes it incredibly fun to browse and sample - and while I don't go in for stats or challenges much, that aspect of it is incredibly satisfying.

Halo UI has always been the best in the industry. I remember the UI in Halo 2 and 3 and I was amazed that no one else in the industry tried to copy the format. COD4 did an okay job of their UI, but Halo has always been simple and minimalistic, simply perfect.

Doubles between the first three games and then Anniversary would be A-OK with me. I've never played Doubles in CE.

Exactly what I'm hoping for, wasn't a huge fan of H4 doubles since most of the maps were fairly large. (Praying to every god imaginable we get a perma-doubles list)

However, literally the only unknown left and they knocked it outta the park.

My buddy and I have just been saying "they understand" for the past few months, and they really do. Good to see a game i've loved for about 13 years get such good treatment from such talented individuals.

Halo UI has always been the best in the industry. I remember the UI in Halo 2 and 3 and I was amazed that no one else in the industry tried to copy the format. COD4 did an okay job of their UI, but Halo has always been simple and minimalistic, simply perfect.

Yep, I'm actually using the different Halo UIs for a GUI's Comp Sci course presentation next month, can't wait.

wwm0nkey

You know, I am really enjoying the UI. I know we said this, but navigation is SUPER simple, like, almost impossible to get lost or confused, but the stuff the UI enables actually makes it incredibly fun to browse and sample - and while I don't go in for stats or challenges much, that aspect of it is incredibly satisfying.
I know it's probably not in, but Halo 2 styled "where I died on the map by who" things on b.net were pretty cool, could we ever see the return of that since it really helps show danger areas for indivdual players.

Nebula

Have we been given a one click button to save films after a game or is it all reliant on DVR?

Ramirez

The issue with using MLG is that if MLG becomes the so-called standard (it's only a standard to those people because they're the ones who run the largest Halo tournaments in history), then it will be tough for 343 to introduce any kind of rule set. Now, MLG has had some good rules in the past, no doubt about it, but 343 needs to be able to alter their own esports rules when they feel the need to do so instead of waiting on MLG to come out with v1, v2, v3, v4, v4.5, etc...

Blizzard doesn't have to put up with this crap. They run SC2 tournaments and it's the same damn game everyone plays, pro or noob...it's the same game.

Make a solid universal setting and make it the standard in the esports playlist from day one. Let it evolve over time, kinda like how Capcom adjusts their characters in Street Fighter. MLG doesn't even need to be catered to, it's not necessary.

343 has in-house Halo pros that can provide more than enough, and on top of that, 343 can basically call up any other Halo pro into the studio and pay for their help/consulting. MLG doesn't own the Halo pros any more.

You say they don't have to be catered to, but whatever league picks the game up is already being catered to. In your example, there only needs to be one Hardcore playlist, which was my entire fucking point to begin with.

Same. Stat overload, but so well implemented.
It was a ridiculous amount of stats. Every weapon in the game had a dedicated page of stats, then for each gamemode. Extensive leaderboards.

A lot of people never even seen this. But for those of us who like that stuff it was there and easily accessible.

Gears 3 deserves way more credit. Fantastic game

Trey

The biggest draw is contingent upon what your favourite Halo from the collection is. 3 dedicated playlists is too much for a 6 map exhibition demo for XboxOne Halo, particularly when one of those maps is Ascension, one of the poorest maps from H2.

90% of the people buying MCC are doing so for Halo 1, 2, or 3.

H2A is just an added bonus.

It's clearly the component that is the face of this collection. It's what 343 is pushing the most, showing off the most, doing tournaments with. H2A is the core around which the MCC is built. It's the draw.

That's why it has 3 playlists. What you personally want, or what the general Halo population wants to play, will inform 343 going forward.

JonCha

Would have liked a dedicated Tam Objective playlist. Maybe more BTB too. Aside from that I think it's a decent launch day selection. Most bases are covered there.

willow ve

Guys think...for one thing the descriptions were vague. Also, it says "tournament approved" gametypes in Halo 2 and 3. Therefore it's probably the good ol MLG gametypes a lot of people crave for Halo 2 and 3. The e-sports hopper is for current e-sports.

If those playlists are so insignificant to you all then stay out of them? The pro scene has never really stolen tons of players from the other playlists.

I am thinking.
I'm thinking I want Squad Battle because 6v6 mixture of slayer/objective was the most fun I had in Halo.

Sephzilla

You'd probably imagine wrong.

i'd just imagine simple math would come into play. there are more possible variations for BTB objective games than slayer variants. The # of different objective choices should greatly outweigh the slayer choices. still though, i think there should be one or two dedicated objective playlists. The way halo was meant to be played.

You say they don't have to be catered to, but whatever league picks the game up is already being catered to. In your example, there only needs to be one Hardcore playlist, which was my entire fucking point to begin with.

Ramirez you seem pretty hostile. I know I'm fairly new around here, but it seems uncalled for.

I read your previous response to me and I understand it for the most part, however I think you might be missing my point. Otherwise I'll just agree to disagree. My point is e-sports is being given a lot of attention and that's a good thing for Halo. More exposure the better. E-Sports is being integrated into the Halo Channel even.

Since most pros have been saying lately that they think different leagues/tournaments are going to be focusing on Halo 2 Anniversary because it's new and has the best graphics, the e-sports hopper will probably contain only those settings. It's a place to practice and get into the scene.

Since the MCC is a throwback game simultaneously, it's great that they are including a hopper for old school tournament settings. If there was only one "Hardcore" playlist then it would be too hard for someone to go in and practice with their team because of the high chance they would get a game or gametype that's not in the current e-sport scene. That's what I'm trying to emphasize and it seems logical.

-Ryn

Banned
i'd just imagine simple math would come into play. there are more possible variations for BTB objective games than slayer variants. The # of different objective choices should greatly outweigh the slayer choices. still though, i think there should be one or two dedicated objective playlists. The way halo was meant to be played.
Despite objective being superior, unfortunately most of the time if there is ANY slayer type available it will win the vote in my experience.

Why does MC need a poncho anyway?

78IIytj.png

Ramirez

Ramirez you seem pretty hostile. I know I'm fairly new around here, but it seems uncalled for.

I read your previous response to me and I understand it for the most part, however I think you might be missing my point. Otherwise I'll just agree to disagree. My point is e-sports is being given a lot of attention and that's a good thing for Halo. More exposure the better. E-Sports is being integrated into the Halo Channel even.

Since most pros have been saying lately that they think different leagues/tournaments are going to be focusing on Halo 2 Anniversary because it's new and has the best graphics, the e-sports hopper will probably contain only those settings. It's a place to practice and get into the scene.

Since the MCC is a throwback game simultaneously, it's great that they are including a hopper for old school tournament settings. If there was only one "Hardcore" playlist then it would be too hard for someone to go in and practice with their team because of the high chance they would get a game or gametype that's not in the current e-sport scene. That's what I'm trying to emphasize and it seems logical.

Hostile? lol, c'mon bro.

The e-sports is the only non radar playlist that needs to exist, as it's the only one anyone will care about.

Team Hardcore will flop around with a population of 100 or lower, but we'll revisit this topic in a few months.

Would be cool if you could "subscribe" to a specific playlist and immediately hop on to and play.

Hostile? lol, c'mon bro.

The e-sports is the only non radar playlist that needs to exist, as it's the only one anyone will care about.

Team Hardcore will flop around with a population of 100 or lower, but we'll revisit this topic in a few months.

Sorry if misinterpreted your tone, I'm a sensitive flower. But anyways, yeah we will see. I think you are being really hyperbolic about it and you seem really against e-sports Halo in general, but we'll know more later. My point falls or stands on what is being played in current e-sports while your point stands on population.

I just bet that if there was a single hardcore hopper containing games/gametypes not currently played in the e-sports scene they would abandon Halo again because they don't have a dedicated playlist for themselves. How you feel about that is a different story though.

Ramirez

Sorry if misinterpreted your tone, I'm a sensitive flower. But anyways, yeah we will see. I think you are being really hyperbolic about it and you seem really against e-sports Halo in general, but we'll know more later. My point falls or stands on what is being played in current e-sports while your point stands on population.

I just bet that if there was a single hardcore hopper containing games/gametypes not currently played in the e-sports scene they would abandon Halo again because they don't have a dedicated playlist for themselves. How you feel about that is a different story though.

Well have you come to the right place.

No 2v2 when it was CE's best mode and by definition doesn't require as large of a population as bigger matches, duplicated functionality between eSports and Hardcore (I feel like those two will cannibalize each other's demographic, unless they're somehow wildly different), only FFA in the game is H2A, redundancy with H2A and H2A social (I don't see why the social playlist exists as-is, honestly. Is it for guest parties? If so, why is it only H2A?).

List is weird. I hope we get specifics - I want to know what the weighting for Slayer is in the game-specific playlists.
Le sigh..
If a rotational proves hugely popular it will be considered for more permanent status. The footprint of the game and the population drive this.
Mind touching on why CE isn't in Team Hardcore? It was the game that started it all, the competitive console game that sparked interest in millions of gamers. Halo 50k, for example, and HP Darkman throwback. It's just unfortunate that come time to paint an image to the public about competitive Halo, CE isn't found in the one playlist that has "Hardcore" in it, and how about eSports?

Motion tracker for CE? If so, it's going to feel really weird playing with it lol. The thing is so ugly too compared to later Halo games.

I think the new guys should be glad Devo doesn't come around here often.

Huh? She may not come here often but she still posts on a semi-frequent basis elsewhere like BCT. I think she just got too tired putting up with general halogaf fuckery. I have to admit, I'm here for Halo, not for the community. The Halo GAF community sucks ass more often than not. You guys are too insular sometimes.

Huh? She may not come here often but she still posts on a semi-frequent basis elsewhere like BCT. I think she just got too tired putting up with general halogaf fuckery. I have to admit, I'm here for Halo, not for the community. The Halo GAF community sucks ass more often than not. You guys are too insular sometimes.

Oh deffo.

Although I don't mind the insular part. Not one bit.

Yeah, as if you haven't happily been a part of it.

Team Hardcore
A collection of tournament-approved game types from Halo 2 and Halo 3. The Battle Rifle is your primary weapon. 4v4.

Halo eSports
The official Halo eSports playlist. 4v4.

ice_cube_wtf_gqvqs30u.gif

uh, really? should have slapped on a universal ffa playlist. but as for the rest:

Team Halo 2: Anniversary
Play a mix of Team Slayer and objective game types on re-mastered maps. 4v4.

Halo 2: Anniversary Rumble
Challenge seven other opponents on re-mastered maps. This is your fight and yours alone. 8-player Free-For-All.

Team Halo 2: Anniversary Social
Play with a team in unranked Team Slayer and objective game types on re-mastered maps. 5v5.

Team Slayer
Eliminate the enemy team across four Halo games: Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 2: Anniversary. Nothing but Team Slayer, 24/7. 4v4.

Big Team Battle
Battle it out in 16-player warfare with vehicles across Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 4, and Halo 2: Anniversary. 8v8.

Halo: Combat Evolved
The game that started it all. Play a mix of Slayer and objective game types in Halo: Combat Evolved for the first time on Xbox Live. 4v4.

Halo 2 Classic
It’s back. A mix of the most popular Team Slayer and objective game types from the original Halo 2. 4v4.

Halo 3
A selection of fan-favorite Team Slayer and objective game types from Halo 3. 4v4.

Halo 4
A mix of Team Slayer and objective game types from Halo 4, on a selection of small to medium-sized maps. 5v5.

GD2wa.gif

wwm0nkey

Eh it's gotten a lot better than the weeks following Halo 4. We've actually been taking Halo now lol

But yeah there was a few times were the shit here caused me to just close out of by browser and go outside lol

Tawpgun

OH SO YOU'RE TOO GOOD FOR US

Top Bottom