• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halt and Catch Fire |OT| Starring Lee Pace - Sundays 10/9c - S1 now on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadayi

Banned
Wow. Didn't expect that. Very pleased. Albeit I was rather down on the show initially it really grew on me with the later episodes so I'm glad AMC have decided to renew. Good Stuff.

Linius

I finally finished the first season. I watched the premiere when it actually premiered so it took me a good while. Enjoyed it a quite a bit overall. Interesting characters, good acting and a great soundtrack (Suuns!). Good to see it got renewed, I'll be on board.

It takes place 15 months after the end of Season 1 in 1985.

That is a completely interesting time jump.

Predictions:

- Cameron's company, Mayhem, is huge and now is a proto-Google.
- Cardiff is gone.
- Joe has seemingly vanished but at some event makes an awkward yet prophetic return.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Woah. I haven't seen that guy in a while. It's funny since I was thinking about him recently, after I started re-watching Six Feet Under.

They filmed the show around here, and I just found out that a friend of mine who does a lot work as a set builder (and occasional extra) is actually one of the students in the college lecture scene where Cameron first meets Joe.

Looking forward to the second season, as I'm curious where they go from here.

ezekial45

Banned
Woah. I haven't seen that guy in a while. It's funny since I was thinking about him recently, after I started re-watching Six Feet Under.
Yeah, the last time I saw him on a TV series was on Boardwalk Empire. He's an incredible actor, I'm looking forward to seeing him on this series.

ezekial45

Banned
Aleksa Palladino (Boardwalk Empire) and Mark O’Brien (The Republic of Doyle) are joining the cast for Season 2.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/hal...mark-obrien-aleksa-palladino-cast-1201437102/

Aleksa Palladino and Mark O’Brien have joined the second season of AMC’s “Halt and Catch Fire” as a series regular and recurring character, respectively, the cabler announced Thursday.

Palladino (“Boardwalk Empire”) will play well-traveled and highly educated freelance journalist Sara Wheeler, who comes from a wealthy background, but is self-reliant and responsible. Due to past experiences, Sara is skeptical of relationships, but after reconnecting with Joe (Lee Pace), whom she first met back in college, the couple shares a real, deep connection.

O’Brien, who starred in the CBC’s series “The Republic of Doyle,” has been cast as Tom Rendon, an IT department head at a law firm who is an early adapter of Cameron’s (Mackenzie Davis) computer startup company, Mutiny, and shares her same brilliance and passion for gaming. His character is described as having a conservative exterior but a strong hacker ethos that may rival Cameron’s.

Season 2 of the computer-age period drama picks up over a year after the freshman finale left off, starting up in March 1985.

Earlier this year, showrunner Jonathan Lisco commented on changes to expect in the new episodes: “This season is going to be a bit more grounded and bit more contained. Those time jumps will be a little bit less befuddling…we’re certainly looking at pacing for season two.”

“Halt and Catch Fire” also stars Scoot McNairy, Kerry Bishé and Toby Huss.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sorry for the bump, but what was the consensus on season 1? Worth it?

Uneven - but mostly pretty decent. It starts out rough but definitely finds itself in the last 1/2-1/3 of the season. It's not a great season but the fact that they turned things around from, never "bad bad", but pretty mediocre bodes well for season two, I think.

I'm glad I watched it.

ezekial45

Banned
Yeah, the first episode is really great, but it sorta struggles for a bit after that. Halfway through, it picks up steam, and the last three episodes are good stuff. It's a solid series, and I think the second season will be really great.

I'm hoping ratings pick up for S2. With on-demand available now, and Netflix streaming coming in April, it's a great time to pick up the series.

ezekial45

Banned
Airing on Mondays will give it a better chance at success due to lowered competition and also lower expectations from AMC.

That's true. Sundays are far too competitive now, and every new show that debuts have so much pressure on them. BCS has turned out well on Mondays, and Turn might be better off now. I think HCF can really find itself on Monday, but I still sorta feel that it's a Sunday show, if that makes sense.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That's true. Sundays are far too competitive now, and every new show that debuts have so much pressure on them. BCS has turned out well on Mondays, and Turn might be better off now. I think HCF can really find itself on Monday, but I still sorta feel that it's a Sunday show, if that makes sense.

waaiit

I got confusled

Turn is airing on Mondays and Halt and Catch Fire is still TBA (may be Sundays, may be Mondays)

oops XI

ezekial45

Banned
waaiit

I got confusled

Turn is airing on Mondays and Halt and Catch Fire is still TBA (may be Sundays, may be Mondays)

oops XI

Yeah, they just said it was coming back in the Summer, no other date or time info given. But much like Turn, they did seem to rename it as Halt and Catch Fire 2.0 during the commercial.

Tagg9

Yeah, the first episode is really great, but it sorta struggles for a bit after that. Halfway through, it picks up steam, and the last three episodes are good stuff. It's a solid series, and I think the second season will be really great.

I'm hoping ratings pick up for S2. With on-demand available now, and Netflix streaming coming in April, it's a great time to pick up the series.

Definitely one of the TV highlights from last year for me. I've personally made about 5 different people watch it since then, and I'm sure many other people have too via the methods you mentioned.

TVexperto

I just finished the first season. The pilot was amazing, but it took me a long time to get through the next few episodes which were not amazing but not bad either, however the second part of the season was fantastic. I loved the
convention episode.

However there is one thing I did not understand in the last episode:
Why did Joe steal the truck and burned it? And why did he go camping?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wow, back in May. AMC isn't playing around, and only two weeks after the Mad Men series finale.

There should be a boost in new watchers soon. Pretty sure Season 1 is being added to Netflix in April.

ezekial45

Banned
So glad to have it back. I'm hoping they kick ass with this season.

I just finished the first season. The pilot was amazing, but it took me a long time to get through the next few episodes which were not amazing but not bad either, however the second part of the season was fantastic. I loved the
convention episode.

However there is one thing I did not understand in the last episode:
Why did Joe steal the truck and burned it? And why did he go camping?

He destroyed the computers because they weren't what he envisioned for a new and memorable PC. After seeing the Mac, he realized their PC was just another computer with a couple of neat gimmicks, and not "the future". The Giant that ultimately shipped was a compromise, which is why he destroyed the shipment.

He went into the wilderness to find someone at the observatory in Colorado. Most likely his mother. But it was also about him trying to find something new. Hence the stargazer line from the gas station guy.

Schrade

Can't wait for this to start again. Love the mood and feel of this show. Has had great music and the intro rocks.

ezekial45

Banned
I am looking forward to seeing what James Cromwell's role will be like, and also how Joe will bounce back after what happened in the finale. That burn that Cameron gave him about his mother was fucking brutal.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Since this was bumped: Where can I get the first season with English subtitles/SfD/HH digitally? Last I checked, iTunes, PSN, et. al. didn't do that sort of thing. :/

ezekial45

Banned
Since this was bumped: Where can I get the first season with English subtitles/SfD/HH digitally? Last I checked, iTunes, PSN, et. al. didn't do that sort of thing. :/

Not sure. What about Amazon video? I do know it'll be on Netflix next month, which will no doubt have it, but other than that you'll have to wait for the video release in May.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dunno. Never bought off Amazon video. I did notice that recently Playstation Network has subs for some shows, like the pilot of White Collar which was free to buy years ago had it. But I dunno if that's available for all shows or just specific ones since PSN never specifies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Awesome. They are planning this to follow Mad Men, cool.

Walking Dead --> Mad Men --> Halt And Catch Fire --> Fear The Walking Dead --> The Walking Dead

Solid Sunday lineup for AMC out to next March.

Here's my speculative AMC 2015 schedule:

Winter/early spring:

Sun - The Walking Dead
Mon - Better Call Saul

Spring:

Sun - Mad Men
Mon - Turn: Washington's Spies

Early summer:

Sun - Halt and Catch Fire
Mon - Humans (might be Saturday)

Late summer:

Sat - Hell on Wheels
Sun - Fear the Walking Dead

Fall:

Sun - The Walking Dead
Mon - Enter the Badlands (might be Saturday)

Their lineup is looking really solid this year.

ezekial45

Banned
It's pretty smart of the them to have TWD on during Spring, Summer, and Fall. It keeps getting more popular, and they're pretty much profiting all year. Hopefully their other shows can find their audiences as well.

I'm super worried about HCF, though. I hope it'll get a big Netflix in time for its premiere.

I'm super worried about HCF, though. I hope it'll get a big Netflix in time for its premiere.

At least they realized they can't go all-in with a new series and just cancel it when the first season doesn't live up to Breaking Bad/TWD's viewership, like what happened with Low Winter Sun. I think they'll see a sizeable spike in viewers because of the Netflix crowd.

Sorry for the bump, but what was the consensus on season 1? Worth it?
I find this post curious.
Here's my speculative AMC 2015 schedule:

Winter/early spring:

Sun - The Walking Dead
Mon - Better Call Saul

Spring:

Sun - Mad Men
Mon - Turn: Washington's Spies

Early summer:

Sun - Halt and Catch Fire
Mon - Humans (might be Saturday)

Late summer:

Sat - Hell on Wheels
Sun - Fear the Walking Dead

Fall:

Sun - The Walking Dead
Mon - Enter the Badlands (might be Saturday)

Their lineup is looking really solid this year.
Yeah, not too bad. Turn, Halt, and Hell are lower-tier but I'm excited about most of the rest. Hoping they're back on the upswing where they belong, reclaiming their place on the FX/HBO podium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom