• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hands-On With Apple's New Powerbeats Pro Earbuds

CyberPanda

Banned
Apple's new wire-free Powerbeats Pro are set to launch this Friday after pre-orders became available last week, and ahead of their official debut, we were able to get a pair to test out to find out whether Apple's latest Beats-branded earbuds are worth the $250 price tag.

While Apple is planning to sell the Powerbeats Pro in four colors, including ivory, moss, navy, and black, only the black version is available right now, with the other options coming later in the summer.

Powerbeats Pro share many features with the AirPods, but the design is totally different because they're aimed at vigorous physical activity like sports and working out. There are a set of earhooks that wrap around your ear to keep the Powerbeats Pro in place, along with four sets of ear tips for a customized fit.

powerbeatsprosize-800x450.jpg

Multiple tips means the Powerbeats Pro will fit most people, and while it's early, we found them to be lightweight and comfortable overall, though any earbud is going to cause ear fatigue after long periods of usage. This kind of around the ear fit isn't going to appeal to everyone, and it can take a bit of practice to be able to get them positioned in your ears correctly.

The Powerbeats Pro fit on the ears super securely, and it's unlikely these are going to fall out of your ears during physical activity. Powerbeats Pro fit in the ear canal unlike the AirPods, and will drown out ambient noise, which is something to be aware of. We tested these out with sunglasses and found them comfortable, so these may work well for those who wear glasses regularly.

powerbeatsprodesign-800x450.jpg

As for sound quality, with the tips positioned correctly in your ears, the Powerbeats Pro sound impressive. Everything is full, crisp, and clear, and parts of songs remain distinguishable. Bass sounds great and is not muddy, which can be an issue with other wire-free headphones.

Powerbeats Pro have a carrying case, but it's a lot bigger than the AirPods case. It's not really pocketable, and it's worth noting that wireless charging is not an included feature. You need to charge this case using a Lightning cable. Opening up the case causes the Powerbeats Pro to pair with your device just like the AirPods and thanks to the H1 chip, easy pairing, easy device swapping, and "Hey Siri" support are all Powerbeats Pro features.

powerbeatspropairing-800x450.jpg

We were impressed with how quickly the Powerbeats Pro were able to pair with an iPhone, and it's worth noting that the Live Listen feature available on the AirPods is also available on Powerbeats Pro. Live Listen is designed to let the iPhone serve as a microphone, amplifying the ambient noise around you and beaming it to your earbuds.

Automatic play/pause functionality will pause audio when you remove an earbud and play it again when it's put back in place, a super handy feature, and there are some physical buttons for doing things like playing music, pausing music, adjusting volume (these buttons are at the top) and skipping tracks. Physical buttons are nice, but it's not always easy to use the button on the first try and it takes a bit more effort than the tap controls on the AirPods.

powerbeatsproandcase-800x450.jpg

Powerbeats Pro offer up to nine hours of listening time per earbud along with 24 hours of additional battery life from the charging case, plus there's a fast fuel feature that offers up 1.5 hours of playback with a five minute charge. We haven't had the Powerbeats Pro long enough to test the battery life sufficiently, but we'll be providing more detail in a future video.

So are the Powerbeats Pro worth the $250 price tag? We think the answer is yes if you're looking for a set of earbuds that have a secure, comfortable fit with all of the features offered by the AirPods. They're perfect if you live an active lifestyle or are looking for a more traditional earbud fit than the AirPods offer.

We'll be doing a follow up video comparing the Powerbeats Pro to the AirPods, so make sure to keep an eye out for that tomorrow, and for more info on Powerbeats Pro, check out our Powerbeats Pro guide.

Just watch the youtube video, if you don't want to read the whole article.

The irony is I am an apple user (for now). And I have watched the video. I might be wrong about the beats aspect, but I can’t justify spending a third of the phone cost on some earphones tbh.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't know if quality has improved but I remember reading headphone review articles and Beats were always rated among the worst. I remember Consumer Reports rating it last with a black dot rating.

The best overall headphones were always ones in that $50-100 range.

CyberPanda

Banned
I don't know if quality has improved but I remember reading headphone review articles and Beats were always rated among the worst. I remember Consumer Reports rating it last with a black dot rating.

The best overall headphones were always ones in that $50-100 range.
I’ve read that Apple has improved them, and I have a consumer report account. I should look at the list to see where they are standing currently.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I’ve read that Apple has improved them, and I have a consumer report account. I should look at the list to see where they are standing currently.
Does CR let you go back to old issues and filter product searches? See when Beats were rated last. Maybe it wasn't a black dot? (I used to have CR in the 90s). But I remember them last. Maybe it was a super low rating score.

CyberPanda

Banned
Does CR let you go back to old issues and filter product searches? See when Beats were rated last. Maybe it wasn't a black dot? (I used to have CR in the 90s). But I remember them last. Maybe it was a super low rating score.
I don't think they allow you to go back to check the old reviews anymore. I can't seem to find it, but I found these so far:

Screen-Shot-2019-05-07-at-11-48-48-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-05-07-at-11-49-31-PM.png

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Just buy the bose earphones that have water resistance.

Mista

Banned
Eh, lame. I’m still using the wired headphones and not still not 100% sure about the AirPods

Nymphae

Banned
Eh, lame. I’m still using the wired headphones

Same, I just recently bought 4 old sets of iPod wired headphones, the old ass original model ones not the newer conical shaped ones.

People used to complain about them but I have no idea why - they are one of the only types of earbuds that do not need to be inserted into your damn ear canal. I am not super picky about sound quality either, and to me there is no problem with how they sound, in fact they sound better than any other pair of headphones I own (various buds and over ear models ranging $10-maybe $50.)

Pagusas

Elden Member

Lol jk. I’ll use my normal easily breakable earphones thank you very much. Whenever apple is concerned I always get the feeling I’m getting ripped off even if I don’t know exactly why. Even more when Beats are concerned.

I feel if you are worried about the price than these products and Apple in general really isn’t for you. It’s a few hundred bucks, not thousands.

Last edited:
I feel if you are worried about the price than these products and Apple in general really isn’t for you. It’s a few hundred bucks, not thousands.

Iphone - £600
Earphones - £200

I feel you didn’t get my point. For headphones I can get a pair that cost £5 that’ll work for my needs which are not much. A few hundred bucks is therefore a massive amount for something needless. So I don’t see how my unwillingness to spend that much money which I cannot justify is a statement to my financials.

But Iphones do cost too much generally, and my next phone will probably be a cheaper android.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Same, I just recently bought 4 old sets of iPod wired headphones, the old ass original model ones not the newer conical shaped ones.

People used to complain about them but I have no idea why - they are one of the only types of earbuds that do not need to be inserted into your damn ear canal. I am not super picky about sound quality either, and to me there is no problem with how they sound, in fact they sound better than any other pair of headphones I own (various buds and over ear models ranging $10-maybe $50.)

Give the VE Monk Plus earbuds a try, Nymphae . No fuss traditional earbud design, inexpensive and sounds better than the apple buds. Like night and day better.

Nymphae

Banned
Give the VE Monk Plus earbuds a try, Nymphae . No fuss traditional earbud design, inexpensive and sounds better than the apple buds. Like night and day better.

Thank you very much! I will absolutely try these, I tend to go through a lot of earbuds over the years because no matter how much I try to take care of them I'm always running chair wheels over them or dropping my ipod with them in and eventually the wiring gives and they stop working.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Consumers will always kick against the price, and the majority can't make headphones like Bose.

CyberPanda

Banned
Reviews from Other Sites

You can go on Amazon or AliExpress today and find true wireless earbuds for less than $30, so the $250 asking price of the Powerbeats Pro is a considerable spend. But none of those budget alternatives will come close to the design refinement, wireless performance, sound quality, or fit and stability of the Powerbeats Pro. Or that nine-hour battery life. Apple took a long time to spit out a truly new Beats product, but now that it has, the wait has absolutely been worth it.

Beats just released a new truly wireless model called Powerbeats Pro, and they feel like a revelation. I can’t believe how much I like these earbuds and want to wear them and don’t even feel embarrassed when I do.

Beats has borrowed almost all of the best elements of Apple’s AirPods, and then improved on them. Audio quality is up, yes, but I was even more impressed by the fit, the improvements in controls, battery life, and how nicely the Powerbeats Pro work with non-Apple devices.

It’s not quite a clean sweep. The $249.95 price tag puts Powerbeats Pro at a significant premium over much of the competition, and the charging case – while not heavy – is undeniably bulky. The fact that it’s Beats’ way or the highway when it comes to audio tuning, too, could limit the earbuds’ appeal, while road warriors may still want something with active noise cancellation.

I’ve used AirPods for almost all listening every day since they launched in December 2016, and Powerbeats Pro are the first wireless earphones to rank higher on my list for my needs. The less pricey, more minimal AirPods should still be the starting place when considering wireless earphones for most people, but Powerbeats Pro should absolutely be considered when buying premium wireless earphones.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
These look cool, I’ll wait until a few more come out and the price drops. Powerbeats 3 I got for just over 100 and that was cool for me. I like the way beats are tuned towards bass/modern mix styles and they have volume. I’ve had them a couple years and they’ve gotten wet, survived many workouts and still look new.

Nymphae

Banned

Got these in the mail today, I'm quite happy with them! I only paid like 11 bucks. They come with the little foam covers for earbuds which you never see anymore, it's always this disgusting rubber material nowadays. Cord is decent length, they feel good in the ear and they sound pretty good, although I'm not super picky about sound quality, to my ear they sound as good if not a little better than the ipod ones I was using, maybe more noticeable bass. Thanks again!!!

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
Been using mine for almost a week now (I was in the first order window).

For reference of my audio cred: I've likely spent well over $5000 in the past 10 years on headphones. I've regularly read up and contributed to Head-Fi. I own custom in ear monitors ($800+). I own multiple pairs of $300+ bluetooth cans. I own AirPods.

... with that out of the way.

The Powerbeats Pro are simply, great. The only downside is the bulky charging case that I can't just leave in my pants pockets all day like I could with the AirPods...but with 9 hours of battery life, I'm not as anxious to get them juiced up constantly. For my work commute and desk work they're a perfect companion...much better than AirPods.

Sound quality wise, they follow a V-Shaped sound signature to my ears (emphasized lows/highs, slightly suppressed mids). I've found the "bass emphasized" comments comical, personally. Yes...the bass is emphasized. But they aren't nearly emphasized in a way that murders the mids to get the job done...and they aren't emphasized in a way where suddenly Beethoven's 5th Symphony sounds like it was produced by Flux Pavilion like I've heard on some "basshead" cans.

The trick is of course a good seal. Got a 6-pack of Comply Foam tips (the Beats specific tips fit these perfectly despite the site not confirming this yet...they just got their PowerBeats a couple days ago) and the sound is immensely more pleasurable. The "oomph" in the bass with the provided silicone tips was there, but not THERE. Now they're THERE. The highs are sparkly and bright, and not sibilant to my ears. Cymbal splashes and guitar plucking sound natural.

Soundstage is middle of the road. Not excessively wide or narrow.

Mids definitely suppressed, but if you're familiar with V-Shaped headphones, these do a fairly good job of maintaining mid-clarity.

Overall, for $250 these are quality headphones. The sound is really solid, the functions are great, the hooks keep them secure...you just have to fit the charging case into your life.

I mean if someone like Linus will actually speak positively about them, you know they have merit outside of the Apple Fandom™

CyberPanda

Banned
Been using mine for almost a week now (I was in the first order window).

For reference of my audio cred: I've likely spent well over $5000 in the past 10 years on headphones. I've regularly read up and contributed to Head-Fi. I own custom in ear monitors ($800+). I own multiple pairs of $300+ bluetooth cans. I own AirPods.

... with that out of the way.

The Powerbeats Pro are simply, great. The only downside is the bulky charging case that I can't just leave in my pants pockets all day like I could with the AirPods...but with 9 hours of battery life, I'm not as anxious to get them juiced up constantly. For my work commute and desk work they're a perfect companion...much better than AirPods.

Sound quality wise, they follow a V-Shaped sound signature to my ears (emphasized lows/highs, slightly suppressed mids). I've found the "bass emphasized" comments comical, personally. Yes...the bass is emphasized. But they aren't nearly emphasized in a way that murders the mids to get the job done...and they aren't emphasized in a way where suddenly Beethoven's 5th Symphony sounds like it was produced by Flux Pavilion like I've heard on some "basshead" cans.

The trick is of course a good seal. Got a 6-pack of Comply Foam tips (the Beats specific tips fit these perfectly despite the site not confirming this yet...they just got their PowerBeats a couple days ago) and the sound is immensely more pleasurable. The "oomph" in the bass with the provided silicone tips was there, but not THERE. Now they're THERE. The highs are sparkly and bright, and not sibilant to my ears. Cymbal splashes and guitar plucking sound natural.

Soundstage is middle of the road. Not excessively wide or narrow.

Mids definitely suppressed, but if you're familiar with V-Shaped headphones, these do a fairly good job of maintaining mid-clarity.

Overall, for $250 these are quality headphones. The sound is really solid, the functions are great, the hooks keep them secure...you just have to fit the charging case into your life.

I mean if someone like Linus will actually speak positively about them, you know they have merit outside of the Apple Fandom™
Thanks for your impressions.

Xenon

The majority of these will be purchased to show they can. Airpods/buds are the new Jordans. That said I love my airpods 2. Seemed like a lot to spend but its worth it. I was blown away by how good they sounded at low volumes. They ruined cheap headphones for me and going back to a cord seems like imprisonment. The only downside is ear aches after a few hours of use.

edit: They work great with android fyi.

Last edited:

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Got these in the mail today, I'm quite happy with them! I only paid like 11 bucks. They come with the little foam covers for earbuds which you never see anymore, it's always this disgusting rubber material nowadays. Cord is decent length, they feel good in the ear and they sound pretty good, although I'm not super picky about sound quality, to my ear they sound as good if not a little better than the ipod ones I was using, maybe more noticeable bass. Thanks again!!!

Glad you like them! Give it a few weeks of listening and then go back to your old buds. I think you’ll notice a difference then.

highrider

Banned
I’ve had these for a few days now, try the different tip sizes for a good seal and man these sound great. I listen to everything from hip hop to classical and for the comfort and usability of these, fantastic product. Had the powerbeats 3 and I liked them but these are a whole new level in polish and design. 250 was too much but Amazon had them for 199 on sale and I cracked. I gave my 3s to my son last year so I’ve been in peasant mode lol. And the moss green is stuntin’ on fools.

ow86gz7.jpg

Top Bottom