• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hands-on with The Legend of Korra on PS4

ethomaz

Banned
Then you're one of the few people not complaining about what TV shows they don't like in these threads, I'll give you that much.

It's really dense to say that Platinum games are all the same when that's blatantly false. Furthermore, no one with any credible knowledge of character action games would say GoW or DmC of all things are even close to Bayonetta, let alone be under the impression that those games are even remotely above it. Being better than Lords of Shadow is also not a challenge.
I like the animation because I loved the first one... the Last Airbender... so I started to watch this one months ago and it is good but not the same level than the previous (I don't like how they messed with the original plan in the Last Airbender).

It is not that they are the same... I meant more like all I played are boring and tedious... it was close to pain replay Bayonetta to get Platinum trophy... Vanquish I didn't even get enough to finish it and Rising died in the Beta (give me another name but didn't call this bad controls a MGS game).

These are the games I played and with all of them I was extreme disappointed.

BTW Bayonetta is so easy to beat that the Witch Time makes the games ridiculous... you can't even got damage how it is so easy to use this dodge/attack more... and even in the hardest difficult when you didn't can use the Witch Time you need only use Swoerd and hold Triangle for 2 seconds and release it to kill all enemies (repeat again... works in every single enemy with 100% chance to kill in two or three hits)... I made a video doing that to a friend and I try to find it again to show to us how boring the system is.

I can't. I just can't.

I guess opinions are opinions but it looks like they can be wrong sometimes.
Well I got Platinum in these games and I really didn't enjoyed Bayonetta hack'n'slash... I do enjoyed a lot GoW3 and DmC... in terms of Gameplay DmC and GoW:A (even with shit story) are the best hack'n'slash launched to me.

That's fine, a lot of people don't like Platinum. But I wonder which developer you think would do a better job than Platinum at capturing the bending styles and making it into a decent action game?

Aside from Bayonetta and Vanquish, I actually like DmC more than their other games, but I don't think there's any dev better suited for this than Platinum or maybe Capcom. So much that I didn't believe it when I first read that Platinum was working on this, it was just a perfect match.
I don't know who can make the game because I'm not that into the developers but I don't thing Platinum a good ideia for my tastes :(

DmC is one of the best gameplay wise when you talk about hack'n'slash... you can do everything with full combos with different ways/weapons to mix.... you can really became better and better with the time you use in this game learning new ways... it is really amazing how people didn't appreciate it. I don't even know how made the game.

Castlevania is another bad example of hack'n'slash for me.

Gbraga

BTW Bayonetta is so easy to beat that the Witch Time makes the games ridiculous... you can't even got damage how it is so easy to use this dodge/attack more... and even in the hardest difficult when you didn't can use the Witch Time you need only use Swoerd and hold Triangle for 2 seconds and release it to kill all enemies (repeat again... works in every single enemy with 100% chance to kill in two or three hits)... I made a video doing that to a friend and I try to find it again to show to us how boring the system is.

This is fair criticism, actually, but why doesn't it ruin DmC with the ridiculously overpowered trinity smash and demon dodge? You have to be consistent. A game with a much deeper combat system becomes garbage because you can lame it out but the one with less depth doesn't?

ethomaz

Banned
This is fair criticism, actually, but why doesn't it ruin DmC with the ridiculously overpowered trinity smash and demon dodge? You have to be consistent. A game with a much deeper combat system becomes garbage because you can lame it out but the one with less depth doesn't?
It is a fair point... I think how amazing the complexity of DmC mechanics in my view blinded me about these issues... that because I said "boring" in my comments... I felt bored on Bayonetta but in DmC I want to reach others level with the crazy system.

Good part of my view is based in my tastes and I'm open to see a good Platinum game for me.

Edit - I was more surprise how the guys like Platinum games here after read all the comments :D but I can't disagree with any opinion because I like Cross Edge JRPG (it is a garbage but I really enjoyed it).

Famassu

Maybe. But seeing a GAF thread titled "Hands-on with the Legend of Korra on PS4" that could've been about any game site, but is instead about a game company's blog post, made me think about how weird and uncomfortable this situation is.
It doesn't really matter what the source of information is. People just need to be aware of the nature of the source, have some ability for source criticism. PS Blog is as good as any at giving some basic info on how the game plays, even if they can't necessarily be trusted at giving a fair assessment as to the actual quality of a game. I don't necessarily expect all previews to be some incredibly in-depth almost-reviews of an unfinished game, sometimes I just want to know some stuff I can expect to do with the combat system (how the combo system works, are there counter-attacks, some of the movement abilities etc.), you don't need to be super critical to inform people about how it functions. As of now, the game sounds like it has potential. I'll wait for reviews & impressions to see if it's worth trying out once it's released.

MavFan619

Banned
A counter system, the combat seems to be well received so far and a final boss Platinum themselves are hype about, yup day 1 and I didn't know what Korra was before yesterday.

PSYGN

It sounds good!

I don't watch this show, what's happening to her?

I like the anime... so if it was another developer I will be more interested but that's me and not everybody.

I tried a lot of Platinum games and all of them are the same... boring and meh... the best one for me was Bayonetta that I give a 7/10 score (not the same Hack 'n' Slash level than DmC or GoW but well it is better than Castlevania LoS), even so it was one of easiest games I ever played.

1NtG2.gif

Gbraga

It is a fair point... I think how amazing the complexity of DmC mechanics in my view blinded me about these issues... that because I said "boring" in my comments... I felt bored on Bayonetta but in DmC I want to reach others level with the crazy system.

Good part of my view is based in my tastes and I'm open to see a good Platinum game for me.

Edit - I was more surprise how the guys like Platinum games here after read all the comments :D but I can't disagree with any opinion because I like Cross Edge JRPG (it is a garbage but I really enjoyed it).

Platinum is really loved around here.

I think it's just that the character action genre clicked with you with DmC, you'd probably enjoy Bayonetta more playing it after DmC with that same mentality of exploring the combat system (assuming you didn't give it another shot already)

Trey

Previews are boring and increasingly useless to readers, and this is testament to that. If a preview written on a game company's blog reads just like a preview written on a game site, something's horribly wrong in the way game sites are approaching their coverage, don't you think? Maybe we need to take a long hard look at preview culture and think about who it's really serving.

Maybe in general. But in this particular case, I would like as much information as I could get my hands on on the heels of such an exciting announcement, and PSblog (and now Destructoid) has it.

I like the animation because I loved the first one... the Last Airbender... so I started to watch this one months ago and it is good but not the same level than the previous (I don't like how they messed with the original plan in the Last Airbender).

It is not that they are the same... I meant more like all I played are boring and tedious... it was close to pain replay Bayonetta to get Platinum trophy... Vanquish I didn't even get enough to finish it and Rising died in the Beta (give me another name but didn't call this bad controls a MGS game).

These are the games I played and with all of them I was extreme disappointed.

Well I got Platinum in these games and I really didn't enjoyed Bayonetta hack'n'slash... I do enjoyed a lot GoW3 and DmC... in terms of Gameplay DmC and GoW:A (even with shit story) are the best hack'n'slash launched to me.

I don't know who can make the game because I'm not that into the developers but I don't thing Platinum a good ideia for my tastes :(

DmC is one of the best gameplay wise when you talk about hack'n'slash... you can do everything with full combos with different ways/weapons to mix.... you can really became better and better with the time you use in this game learning new ways... it is really amazing how people didn't appreciate it. I don't even know how made the game.

Castlevania is another bad example of hack'n'slash for me.

Is this opposites day or what? DmC, let alone GoW, doesn't come close to the depth of games like Bayonetta and Wonderful 101. But if you just spam one move, you're not gonna appreciate that. Of course a game is boring if you don't learn its systems. It's like spamming fireballs in Street Fighter. What you invest is what you get out of it. Watch some high-level Bayonetta play or Saur's Wonderful 101 vids. It's astonishing design.

Platinum are masters of their craft. They're the bread and butter of action games.

Squishy3

So why do they include the colored enemies that purposefully limit what kind of weapons you can use on them because you can only damage them with either angel or demon weapons? DmC isn't in the lowest tier of character action games, and it's not a bad game by any means, but it's a huge step-back from previous Devil May Cry games or other games in the character action genre.

I like the anime... so if it was another developer I will be more interested but that's me and not everybody.

I tried a lot of Platinum games and all of them are the same... boring and meh... the best one for me was Bayonetta that I give a 7/10 score (not the same Hack 'n' Slash level than DmC or GoW but well it is better than Castlevania LoS), even so it was one of easiest games I ever played.

Bayonetta worse than DmC and GoW. I've officially heard it all now.

By children yes

image.php

The irony is fucking killing me.

I better leave this thread now. >_>

ED Cantu

Have Gamespot's impressions been posted already?
If not here's the link: I Played With Fire in Platinum Game's The Legend of Korra

Each set has several different attacks, split between light and heavy strikes. Holding down either button will charge Korra and make her attacks even stronger. Different levels of charge are unlocked as the game progresses. The developer promises that the four different elemental sets allow for numerous different combos. Leveling up Korra will also unlock different light moves and collecting the game's currency lets you purchase heavy strikes and finishers.

Platinum has made sure that attacks are as fluid as possible, which means you can switch between elements on the fly, even mid-combo. He showed us sequences where Korra would bounce an enemy in the air with an Earth attack, shoot him with long-range Water strikes, jump up and land a dozen punches on him in rapid succession with Fire moves, then blow the guy away with a Wind attack. Finally, he would land and use one of the element-specific finishing moves to kill the enemy for good.

In addition to fluid offensive strikes, Platinum is also adding a counter system for players who wish to approach the game more defensively. If timed correctly, Korra can block and send long-range attacks back toward the enemy. Although this counter system works well, Kurooka said that the game is much more fun if the player takes advantage of Korra's offensive capabilities.

Kinda surprised nobody's talked about the pro bending yet - the polar bear dog Temple Run minigame looked pretty whatever, but the pro bending stuff I played seemed potentially rad. The other benders have life bars over their heads, but instead of indicating their health, they indicate how close they are to being knocked back and losing territory. It's pretty clever!

In order to keep the series' identity, they'll probably go with something like "probender", instead of the usual Platinum crazy, unfortunately.

They told me that the working title for it is called "Insane" right now, but maybe thay could change. The producer I spoke to (Atsushi Kurooka) also mentioned that the "middle" difficulty is balanced for people who are experienced with third-person action games, so that's pretty reassuring, I think!

Astarte

You're killing me smalls

Kinda surprised nobody's talked about the pro bending yet - the polar bear dog Temple Run minigame looked pretty whatever, but the pro bending stuff I played seemed potentially rad. The other benders have life bars over their heads, but instead of indicating their health, they indicate how close they are to being knocked back and losing territory. It's pretty clever!

They told me that the working title for it is called "Insane" right now, but maybe thay could change. The producer I spoke to (Atsushi Kurooka) also mentioned that the "middle" difficulty is balanced for people who are experienced with third-person action games, so that's pretty reassuring, I think!

Question: What was the function of the Air Scooter? Is it for mobility or can it be used in combat?

BadWolf

Can you say what other character action game the combat for Korra felt close to? Did it feel like it had potential to be deep?

Question: What was the function of the Air Scooter? Is it for mobility or can it be used in combat?
It's a mobility move - you activate it by tapping R2 twice. According to them, it's the fastest way to get around the world, but I guess theoretically you could use it to get to an enemy quickly and keep a combo going? Not 100% sure about that.

Actually, all four bending styles have their own mobility moves - the waterbending one is a double-dodge, the firebending one is a long aerial dash (fire shoots out of Korra's feet, it's pretty dope), etc.

Can you say what other character action game the combat for Korra felt close to? Did it feel like it had potential to be deep?
I go pretty in-depth on the combat in this video, but the best point of comparison is proooobably Bayonetta. The "press block at the last minute" counter system is SUPER reminiscent of how Witch Time worked, and the whole world even slows down a bit when you execute it right. Successfully countering projectiles and knocking them back at opponents feels pretty great.

It's a mobility move - you activate it by tapping R2 twice. According to them, it's the fastest way to get around the world, but I guess theoretically you could use it to get to an enemy quickly and keep a combo going? Not 100% sure about that.

Actually, all four bending styles have their own mobility moves - the waterbending one is a double-dodge, the firebending one is a long aerial dash (fire shoots out of Korra's feet, it's pretty dope), etc.
The only one you didn't explain was the Earth bending. ;_;

This game is sounding super hype though! Seems to have a lot of gameplay options for a downloadable title.

Gbraga

Unlockable past Avatar skins for Korra. #drool

SHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET THAT WOULD BE SO GOOD

It'll be DLC

I'd buy it

Would you say it is this game's version of a bloody palace mode?

That's pretty good, please tell us more! Did you get to listen to some of the game's tracks?

Insane sounds even more boring than probender though.

Does element switching has an animation you can use to cancel the recovery of slower moves? If you charge something and then switch elements, the one you charged will still come out regardless of the one you're in now, correct?

If you compared Korra's gameplay to any other character action character, which would you say she's the closest to?

PLEASE TELL US EVERYTHING

EDIT:

I go pretty in-depth on the combat in this video, but the best point of comparison is proooobably Bayonetta. The "press block at the last minute" counter system is SUPER reminiscent of how Witch Time worked, and the whole world even slows down a bit when you execute it right. Successfully countering projectiles and knocking them back at opponents feels pretty great.

Oh, cool, thanks a lot, I'll watch it, just give me a minute.

This game sounds waaaaaaay better than I expected, why didn't they just show a video to us? D:

ED Cantu

So am I right to expect that the Avatar state will be used kind of like the Devil trigger in DMC games? that would be awesome.

And other thing that just came to my mind, the music, do you think they'll use music from the show or new original music? because aside from animation the other thing that this show excels at is the music IMO.

Top Bottom