• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 20th Birthday SEGA Mega Drive |_O| Genesis !

Ah, the Genesis... the 16-bit console I played most during the actual 16-bit generation. Oh, sure, I was a Nintendo fan from the beginning, but I liked Sega too for sure... Genesis was a great console. I definitely love having the system (and a Sega CD) now, for sure. It would be hard to decide between SNES and Genesis though... I like both.

As for Altered Beast, though... looking at it from a "playing it for the first time in the last few years" perspective, it's just not a good game. It's not even that it's short, it's that it's boring and doesn't play well... and I like beat 'em ups. Sure the sprites are big, but that's all it has going for it. Maybe if I'd played it in 1989 I'd think a lot more of it... it's not a terrible game and that article makes a good point that the game did a good job of showing off the system's powerful graphics hardware, but still... gameplay-wise? I tried it and didn't like it much... though I will admit that I haven't played it all that much. There are so many better games out there to play... (another Genesis game I only played a little bit before turning it off out of boredom is Decap Attack. Maybe it has a few interesting ideas, but overall, I just found it really, really boring...)

Sonic was the fist Genesis game I played, I would imagine. It's such a great, great game... it's still a spectacular platformer with great gameplay, graphics, and music.

As for games, there was a fantastic list made of pretty much all the games worth mentioning on the system, ranked. I forget the link, though...

Other games... far too many to mention. My most recent Genesis purchase was Battle Squadron, which I just got within the last month. It's an okay game, but is quite difficult, for sure. Decent gameplay, and definitely worth getting, but tough. You get killed easily and don't have many continues... the best US-released Genesis shmup is Lightening Force. Yes, I know that many fans like Thunder Force III more, but I prefer the fourth one. The gameplay's at least as good or better and the graphics are exceptional. Outstanding game.

Oh, and it's not great by any means, but Devilish is interesting. Hard (no continues), but interesting. I don't know of any other Breakout-style games with a fantasy/horror theme like that and that kind of a unique double-paddle system...

I could do the usual praise for obvious stuff (Ranger-X, Vectorman 1 and 2, the other Sonic platformers, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Wonder Boy in Monster World, Beyond Oasis, Mega Turrican, etc), but not now.

... Oh yeah, and Combat Cars... I love Micro Machines, and this game had a chance of being good because of how much it plays like Micro Machines, but Accolade made one mistake: No continues. Finish in last ONCE at any point in the entire circuit and you start the entire thing over, from the beginning. It makes a potentially fun game insanely hard and no fun at all... and it's too bad too, because the base game is good. :(

camineet said:
There's no doubt Nintendo expected to have 90-95 % of the 16-bit market, just like they had with the 8-bit market. Instead, SEGA forced Nintendo to split the 16-bit market with them.
Even though SFC/SNES sold more than MD/Genesis, Sega still had 35 to 40 percent of the worldwide market, easily. I don't have exact numbers but i'm sure it was something like that.

There are exact SNES numbers, but I don't know of any exact Genesis numbers, just guesses and approximations and partial numbers.

One issue: models!

SNES models
--
SNES model 1
SNES model 2

addons
--
BS-X Satellaview

Genesis models
--
Genesis model 1
Genesis model 2
Genesis model 3
Nomad
Mega Jet
CDX (Genesis + CD)
LaserActive Genesis addon module (Genesis + CD)
X'eye (Genesis + CD)

addons
--
Sega CD
32X

... Now addons can be counted separately, but that's a lot of models from three different companies (or four, if you count the Genesis 3 as being from Majesco instead of Sega) that you'd have to add up to get the system's total... which is why I can understand why the numbers aren't exactly as easy to find as SNES numbers. Still, as I have said before, it is odd that there aren't more accurate ones... oh well.

SNES was 49 million total. Genesis... 20 or 30 million something, most likely (my guess is in the low 30s somewhere), but we don't know exactly what, I believe.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Altered Fucking Beast

First Genesis game I played (yes, before Sonic). Damn fine game. Worth the 600 VCbucks.

camineet

Banned
djtiesto said:
Phantasy Star II is still the best RPG ever.

I agree, and Phantasy Star II is still better than Phantasy Star IV, IMO.

Here's my own original model Genesis, with my two favorite Genesis games, and the very magazine that first showed me what the Genesis actually was

wv5ssh.jpg

camineet

Banned
Grug said:
SNES (Real 16 bit) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Genesis (fake 16 bit) BTW.

More like Genesis (fast 16-bit) vs SNES (slow 16-bit)

But why should I attempt to argue with a joke character and his joke post?

borghe said:
umm.. the 68K was sure as hell real 16-bit. Just ask the Amiga, Atari ST, or even the Sega System-16 arcade boards.

Yup. The 68000 was a 16-bit/32-bit processor (some aspects of it are actually 32-bit)

The Macintosh, Amiga, Atari ST, Sharp X68000, Sega Mega Drive/Genesis,
Sega System-16 arcade, the various Sega Super-Scaler boards, Capcom CPS and CPS2 boards, NEO-GEO MVS arcade/AES console and countless other computer and arcade platforms used the 68000.

camineet said:
Black Falcon, MD/Genesis sold 28 or 29 million units worldwide, according to what I've read.

I talked about that here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12869118&postcount=34

Essentially, that source's numbers don't add up unless you believe that between 1995 and 1998 the Sega Genesis sold 1 million units in the US, going from 13 million in 1994 to 14 million overall.

Obviously, I find that VERY hard to believe... unless that "14 million" number doesn't include things like the Genesis 3, Nomad, etc, in which case it is very hard to believe my maybe vaguely plausible, though considering how close the SNES and Genesis were for so long in the US, it'd be interesting to know how the SNES sold 23 million in the US and the Genesis only 14 million, if those numbers are right... 13 million to 1994? Perhaps, we don't have a year breakdown for the SNES I think, who knows what it was at that point. But 14 million overall? I know that the Genesis market started falling apart in 1994 and sales after that point were surely much, much lower than before, but THAT low just doesn't seem right.

As for the worldwide number, 29's the only number we have really... can't really say much more than that.

But does either number include the X'eye, for example?

thrasher

Banned
Emtional day. Happy Birthday my true companion for 3 years.

Will never forget Revenge of Shinobi, Quackshot, Sonic 1 & 2 with four player goodness of General Chaos and APT Tennis.

camineet

Banned
Does anyone besides me have any love for Herzog Zwei?

mdherzogcm2.jpg

2qbbyiv.jpg

k9wh1i.jpg

Do people realize that this one fairly obscure tiny 4-meg game made by a small Japanese developer that didn't sell more than a few 100k that was and is largely unknown by the masses of gamers that owned Genesis was responsible for inspiring a MAJOR genre of games on PC ?

btrboyev

what a lovely thread. I love the genesis. Still the best looking console to ever come imo. At least the original model.

camineet

Banned
btrboyev said:
what a lovely thread. I love the genesis. Still the best looking console to ever come imo. At least the original model.

Thanks. I did my duty as far as keeping out any imagry of Genesis2 and everything that was associated with the later years of Genesis when it went mainstream, to me that would've taken away from what MD/Genesis was in the beginning.

camineet

Banned
I need to get a new composite cable for my altered beast/model 1 Genesis. I hate RF. I used to have a composite but in the mid 90s my cat chewed it.

IIRC that unit doesn't output stereo from the rear, only through the headphone jack.

camineet said:
I need to get a new composite cable for my altered beast/model 1 Genesis. I hate RF. I used to have a composite but in the mid 90s my cat chewed it.

IIRC that unit doesn't output stereo from the rear, only through the headphone jack.

Yeah, you need a Genesis 2 or 3 to get stereo A/V out of the AV cables. The Genesis 1 only has a mono AV cable, as well as RF; the Genesis 2/3 has both mono and stereo ones as well as RF.

If you have a Genesis 2 or 3, don't get the mono AV cable... make sure you get the stereo one!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I have my Gen 1 rigged to output stereo to the TV through the headphone jack. You need an adapter for it but they're pretty cheap.

camineet

Banned
andymcc said:
I'm hooking up my Mega Drive tonight. This thread has been begging me to it.

I usually play Genesis games via emulation (or PS2 SGC) but not Herzog Zwei.
It's best to play certain games on real hardware :D

Hive

Banned
andymcc said:
I'm hooking up my Mega Drive tonight. This thread has been begging me to it.

There's just something about Mega Drive/Genesis that makes it so nostalgic compared to other systems. The "SEGAAA" chime also takes me back.

Some people say the SNES is the system of the forever, and they're right! But don't forget the Genesis. It deserves to be placed in that category.

Oh, i'm going to purchase the Genesis version of Nobunaga's Ambition!

adelante

camineet said:
Does anyone besides me have any love for Herzog Zwei?

*herzog zwei pics*

Do people realize that this one fairly obscure tiny 4-meg game made by a small Japanese developer that didn't sell more than a few 100k that was and is largely unknown by the masses of gamers that owned Genesis was responsible for inspiring a MAJOR genre of games on PC ?
Posted this up at the Herzog-Zwei appreciation thread:

One of the most fond memories I had with that game happened when I was over at a friend's with several others for a school project discussion...while two of us were busy using the pc, me and this other friend popped in Herzog Zwei for some micromanaging fun...after playing the hell out of one map, we decided to duke it out against each other braveheart-style...we chose a map called LOCH which had a huge long lake in the centre, and made as many water units as possible (i believe the limit for total units was 50 per player) at opposite ends of the lake where our homebases were. But anyone who's familiar with the game knows that to make units (or even deploy them! damn design flaw!), you need points...and points accumulate automatically but slowly...so we left the game running for bout an hour so we'd have enough to make 50 damn boats each and deploy them to each other's base.

Lol before moving forth with our epic battle, i remember us both controlling our robo-plane s, handing out stupid fake war speeches to our units "william wallace" style...needless to say, the game became this huge mess...a lot of the units got stuck trying to navigate their way to each other's base and as a result, they lost all their energy (another design flaw!). So we found ourselves frantically carrying our boats to and fro nearby mini-bases to replenish their energy...hahahah despite that turn of events, we, and the other two who got distracted by us, found ourselves laughing hysterically throughout.....wahahahahaha

Oh and I've to add, my favourite soundtrack (quite possibly my fav. Genesis music) is "Sniper"

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GENESIS!!!

I still own one and played the hell out of it. Also played my Genny games via my nomad as well.

Outrun.jpg

Played the living shit out of this game. I put at LEAST 400 hours into OutRun. It is a very faithful port IMHO.

lordmrw said:
Coop Altered Beast, Forgotten Worlds, Golden Axe, damn.

Yes! I'd also like to mention the following:

Aerobiz
Aerobiz Supersonic
Aero Fighters
ATP Tour
Bahamut Senki
Blades of Vengence
Bonanza Bros.
Boxing Legends of the Ring
Crack Down
College Football's National Championship
College Football's National Championship 2
College Slam
Contra: The Hard Corps
Dai Konsen
Dino Dini's Soccer
Dodge Ball: Kid Kuy
Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story
Fever Pitch Soccer
Forgotten Worlds
Gain Ground
Gauntlet IV
General Chaos
Ghost Hunter
Gunstar Heroes
Head-On Soccer
Ichidant-R
International Rugby
International Superstar Soccer Deluxe
Lost Vikings
Mega Bomberman
Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament
Mortal Kombat 3
NBA Action 94
NBA Jam
NBA Jam Tournament Edition
NCAA Final Four Basketball
NFL 95
NFL Quarterback Club
NFL Quarterback Club 96
Olympic Gold
Paperboy
Paperboy 2
Party Quiz: Mega Q
Pele II
Pepen ga Pengo
Pete Sampras Tennis
Sega Sports 1
Slam Dunk From TV Animation
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Soldier of Fortune
Super Skidmarks
Tant-R
Tiny Toons: Acme All Stars
Ultimate Soccer
Virtua Fighter 2
Wimbledon
World Championship Soccer II
World Cup USA '94
Worms
WWF Raw
Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyo Toitsusen

Now....with that said,

camineet said:
I usually play Genesis games via emulation (or PS2 SGC) but not Herzog Zwei.
It's best to play certain games on real hardware :D

It is always better to play the games on the real thing. But there is one benefit to playing them in emulators....

A program called CGA(Classic Gaming Arena). Classic Gaming Arena allows you to play Genesis, Sega Master System, Sega 32X, and Sega CD games O-N-L-I-N-E, via an emulator called Kega Fusion, which supports the above mentioned system. If you have Kega Fusion and CGA, you can relive some of those co-op memories of Altered Beast, Sonic and Knuckles, etc.

I don't want to turn this into an emulation thread but it would be nice to play some of you Sega fans in some great Genesis games online using CGA. If you want more info about it feel free to PM me or simply do a Google search on Kega Fusion and Classic Gaming Arena.

Happy birthday Genny :)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Wow the graphics in Sonic CD are AMAZING! Better than Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 even! Lot's of crisp visuals and a very nice and strong color palette. Love the level design as well :)

Top Bottom