• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 25th anniversary, Donkey Kong! I wrote you an article <3

Flynn

Nice feature. I remember my first time playing Donkey Kong in an arcade at University of Washington around '82. It really did stand out against the rest of the games. It was colorful.

ziran

surprisingly interesting article.

donkey kong has lost its way for the last several years. dk '94 was a masterpiece and i loved playing it on the super gameboy, it was the last time the greatness of the original was recreated.

i remember being 11, way under age for the local arcades (though it didn't seem to matter if you had cash), pouring money into the game, it was simply a revelation for the time. pacman and space invaders were great, but dk really did bring something new to arcade games, which is explained well in this article.

i agree about the rare games. at the time someone told me when miyamoto was questioned about the game he basically said '......nice graphics', but i was never sure if he actually felt this way, so it's good to find out he did. the dkc games were terrible imo. an abomination of bad controls, crappy gameplay and poor level design, yet they sold like billyo. interestingly the games seem to be widely derided today, maybe because it's so obvious they don't hold up as well as the ead developed platformers, and it was a case of being wowed by the graphics at the time.

saying that, i can't say the paon or nst games are a return to form. they're okay, but ead needs to be in charge of what should be a premier nintendo franchise. dkjb was good and fun, but too niche. i can't help but think the series could be another huge seller if ead can pull a nsmb and create something which returns to why nintendo was so successful in the first place, also drawing in the returning/new gamer.

yeah, dk'94 is the best dk ever. but mario vs dk is also great and has got the nice classic dk feeling included. hopefully the next mario vs dk will rock rock rock. are the mario nbots making a return in the ds version? I hope not. a real 3d revamp/redesign of the classic dk type gameplay is seriously needed. well, I want it. dk is the best nintendo game series and there's only a couple of real games in the franchise. makes me sad.. or not

oh yeah. rare's dk games are CRAP

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really loved Mario vs. DK. It was a great game, and didn`t have Rare ****ing it up.

Great article Kobun.

:lol
Joseph Merrick said:
oh yeah. rare's dk games are CRAP

TheTrin said:
and didn`t have Rare ****ing it up.

Probationsmack said:
Rare has ruined him. i was hoping that jungle beat was an indication that they were going to give him a blank slate again without dopey sidekicks, but diddy, dixie, dipshitty,etc are still there in king of swing ds and bongo blast.

Sadly, for all their technical merit, none of the three DKC games that Rare released in rapid succession were especially fun to play.

You fail at gaming.

Kobun Heat said:
You answered your question for me, thanks!

Well I said maybe. I still find it hard to look at this game and say it's not a platform game:

24eclf8.gif

WTF is wrong with you people? The DKC games are brilliant. Not "fun"? Sounds like you're biased against them because they're popular/have good graphics/weren't developed in Japan. Kobun you shouldn't let your personal biases get in the way of writing a professional article.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I love you Donkey Kong!

I AM THE MASTER OF SMASH BROS. WITH YOU! FOR LIFE!

P.S. And I agree about the dislike towards DKC. I never really found them at all fun to play and only ever really bothered to touch the first two. There was just something missing from them.

Pope Benedict XVI said:
Well I said maybe. I still find it hard to look at this game and say it's not a platform game:

24eclf8.gif
Hey, that's Space Panic! I loved that game. The Apple ][ clone was fun as hell, though missing the cool look of the arcade game.

As for Donkey Kong, I loved it the first time I played it at a Shakey's Pizza when I was about eight years old. A few years later, I remember stealing a $50 bill from my mom's purse just so I could run over to the laundromat to play some games...DK, Moon Patrol, Gorf, and Tutankham. I spent the whole day there blowing endless quarters on those machines, but spent the majority of my stolen money on DK...trying to 'finish' it. I got a major ass-whuppin' by my mom when I returned late that night. Was worth it at the time, though...heh.

The Crazy Kong coin-ops of the time were more fun than plain ol' DK, though. The reordered level sequences and slightly different graphics in places made it seem like a real sequel at the time, to me.

Space Panic is a great game on Colecovision, and ****ING hard as hell. I was a lot better at it 20 years ago.

Great article, Kobun. Reading your stuff makes me REALLY want to pick up a copy of Power-Up, which I'll do as soon as I have the cash.

shuri

Banned
I think it's pretty obvious that Nintendo fans started hated on DKC when Der loved Leader said so. Did it destroy in sales a miyamoto title that year?

The game was really popular back then, and every single mag gave it glowing reviews back then. Don't make me pull out the egm from 1994 saying it was the game of the year! :lol Heck I remember when DKC was a pack-in with the system

DKC was the one of the last pure platformer that didnt have any crazy gimmick like later nintendo titles..

border

Universal didn't even own the copyright to King Kong; it was in the public domain. Nintendo collected $1.8 million from Universal when all was said and done, plus another fifty grand in royalties that Universal had unlawfully collected on a King Kong game that ripped off DK.

How is it that King Kong is in the public domain? Or was in the public domain as of 1981?

So is anyone allowed to like both the classic barrel jumping DK and DKC games(Someone actually complained about the controls!?) Cause I do...Like many I'm not fond of alot of the Rare characters. They should have stopped introducing new side characters after DKC2. Part 3 was just overkill and you still couldn't use the title character.

The series has been ****ed since it hit the N64 though. All the Kongas and Jungle Beat(Seems like this was only made a DK game because of the franchises current association with the crappy bongos) only made things worse. Mario vs DK was really good though the control did need some tightening.

It's been so long since the Rare games that restarting the series wouldn't be a bad idea. Just keep a few key characters and drop the rest. The GBA/DS games got this right.

Agent X

Nintendo Ate My Children said:
The 2600 version was released by Coleco, not Atari. Atari never had any rights to Donkey Kong.

Although Coleco was the first home video game maker to obtain rights to home versions of Donkey Kong, Atari did nab some home rights to the game later on.

In 1983, they got the license to produce home computer versions the game (in contrast to Coleco, who had the rights on video game consoles). They produced a version for their 8-bit Atari 400/800/XL/XE computers, which I have not played, but is supposedly an excellent version of the game, and I believe the first home version to feature all four levels. They also ported it to some other competitor's computers, such as Commodore 64 (I have played this version--excellent!), Commodore VIC-20, Apple II, TI-99/4A, and IBM PC.

A few years later, Atari obtained some console rights. They rereleased Coleco's 2600 version under the Atari label, and also created a new 7800 version which was a port of the NES version.

jgkspsx

shuri said:
I think it's pretty obvious that Nintendo fans started hated on DKC when Der loved Leader said so. Did it destroy in sales a miyamoto title that year?
I'm not much of a Nintendo fan, and I've hated on it since it came out :)

I know I'm not the only one.

I wish I had the review of DKC I wrote when I was 14. I mean, I have it, but it's in a stack of fanzines on the other side of the country.

Space Panic definitely looks like a platform game, but looks can be deceiving. It's not the fact that you played as a dude who climbed up ladders, it's the underlying mechanics of Donkey Kong that established the genre.

ziran said:
donkey kong has lost its way for the last several years. dk '94 was a masterpiece and i loved playing it on the super gameboy, it was the last time the greatness of the original was recreated.
It is strange to think that DK '94 will soon enough be as old as the original Donkey Kong was when DK '94 came out.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Kobun Heat said:
Space Panic definitely looks like a platform game, but looks can be deceiving. It's not the fact that you played as a dude who climbed up ladders, it's the underlying mechanics of Donkey Kong that established the genre.
I do want to hook up my Colecovision and play that Smurf game eventually... yes, DK predates that, but I've been told it has the "feel" of a modern platformer (SMB-style).

Agent X said:
Although Coleco was the first home video game maker to obtain rights to home versions of Donkey Kong, Atari did nab some home rights to the game later on.
In 1983, they got the license to produce home computer versions the game (in contrast to Coleco, who had the rights on video game consoles). They produced a version for their 8-bit Atari 400/800/XL/XE computers, which I have not played, but is supposedly an excellent version of the game, and I believe the first home version to feature all four levels. They also ported it to some other competitor's computers, such as Commodore 64 (I have played this version--excellent!), Commodore VIC-20, Apple II, TI-99/4A, and IBM PC.
The Atari 8-bit version is very good. I had screenshots somewhere... I'll have to get them up on TMK for you folks.

spookyfish

Happy birthday, DK.

The first arcade game that I really practiced at and played over and over again.

Ah, memories.

Thanks, Kobun.

shuri said:

The game was really popular back then, and every single mag gave it glowing reviews back then. Don't make me pull out the egm from 1994 saying it was the game of the year! :lol Heck I remember when DKC was a pack-in with the system

DKC was the one of the last pure platformer that didnt have any crazy gimmick like later nintendo titles..

Oh, like Diddy, Dixie and other questionable sidekicks?

My view that DKC hasn't aged well (once I beat the thing, I never looked back) has nothing to do with my love of Nintendo or Miyamoto. Personally I think Ocarina of Time is one of the most overrated games ever, and that's a game many Nintendo fanatics (and even some non-fans of Nintendo) call the second coming.

And yes, Donkey Kong '94 rules. It's good to see that time has validated my preference.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I went into that article expecting the worst (not being a hardcore DK fan), but it was a very enjoyable and informative read. Kinda reminded me of Power Up in structure and depth. Lots of facts, a fair bit of opinion (loved the DKC bashing), drama, legal battles... Not surprisingly, I suppose. :)

Vargas

shuri said:

Basically. There were some people that never liked the games but that number has grown a lot in the last four years.

I loved the Colecovision Donkey Kong and I also played the Commodore 64 version
of Donkey Kong and it was great….I think it was the best home version I played , it is better than the NES Donkey Kong. By the way what is the best Home version Donkey Kong that was ever made?
The Atari 2600 was so bad. What was the Intellivision and Atari 7800 Donkey Kong like? I always wanted to play them. I know Intellivision had a great Pac Man. People don't forgat Donkey Kong Jr.:)

I don't have a problem with his opinion on DKC, but my problem is that the way he states it in the article (Donkey Kong Country was released in 1994 and it wasn't fun) makes it sound like he is stating a fact. The fact that his opinion is in the extreme minority, held only by the most jaded of gamers, only makes it worse.

the fact is; DKC wasn't fun. not then, not ever

I'm sorry some of you guys were too young for the old donkey kong and didn't know about dk'94 when it happened and lacked any sort of critical perspective vs DKC. there's no excuse for missing mario vs dk, and the upcoming mario vs dk 2 though. do the right thing; forget about the DKC abominations and embrace the real dk

Joseph Merrick said:
the fact is; DKC wasn't fun. not then, not ever
Nah, that's still opinionated.

The article was a good read, but even though many people seem to hate DKC, I don't think the bashing needs to be in the article either. It's like those people writing articles about the Mario series and saying how much of a dissapointment Mario Sunshine was, even though some people thought it was just as good as Mario 64.

Jungle Beat is way underrated, and is not getting enough love here. It's the most brilliant, most fun game I have played in a long time. Suprisingly easy to control, very fast, very varied-it's just a blast. This should be the direction Donkey Kong takes. It doesn't have to keep the bongo control, but the idea, the pace, the look, and the actual gameplay are great.

pitt_norton

Great article Chris. Thanks.

My first experience with Donkey Kong AND Nintendo was with Donkey Kong Jr. on the Game & Watch back in 1988. I was 10 years old.

Today, I love DK Jungle Beat.

Quick question for anyone about the Nintendo home versions of Donkey Kong... did Rare's DK64 contain the full version of Donkey Kong arcade with everything intact?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
pitt_norton said:
Quick question for anyone about the Nintendo home versions of Donkey Kong... did Rare's DK64 contain the full version of Donkey Kong arcade with everything intact?

It did, as far as I recall... I believe I heard that it was actually emulated, but there is a weird "DK Coin" tweak in one version of it, so I'm not sure whether it is emulated (and hacked) or merely ported.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
This thread needs high-scores!

I'll start cause I just got a new personal high.

(AC-Nes ver.)
Level 5
Stage 2
97200 pts.

:)

Edit: Actually I do got some more questions.

1.) Whats with the squeaky feet?
2.) Does the arcade version say "made in japan"?
3.) Why couldn't the NES get a perfect port?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Joseph Merrick said:
here's another fact; super mario sunshine is better than mario 64
To some certain extent I can agree on this :|

But the first four levels in Super Mario 64 is easily some of the greatest for me.

Vargas

Joseph Merrick said:
I think you misread me writing "fact" as "opinion". don't do it again

The only area that Sunshine is better at than 64 are controls. Everything else is better in Mario 64. Everything.

Vargas said:
The only areas that Sunshine is better at than 64 are controls, camera, level design, challenge, replay value, and graphics. Everything else is better in Mario 64. And by everything I mean it has better ending music.
Fix'd

I don't have a problem with his opinion on DKC, but my problem is that the way he states it in the article (Donkey Kong Country was released in 1994 and it wasn't fun) makes it sound like he is stating a fact. The fact that his opinion is in the extreme minority, held only by the most jaded of gamers, only makes it worse.
QFT.

Joseph Merrick said:
Wow! :lol People better don't trust your opinions ("facts")

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Great article, Kobun.

I admit to enjoying the first two DKC games (never played the third), but it's also been at least ten years since I played them.

if Donkey Kong wasn't a Nintendo game, this thread would of never of been created.

Nintendo fans seem to amass in legions for anything N without questioning.

the Original Donkey Kong Coin-Op was a remarkable arcade game and so was Donkey Kong Jr. following that.

Donkey Kong 3 sucked

and then the Rare redesign of DK killed him, and I don't understand why Nintendo stuck with the Rare redesign with his bulging eyeballs and retarded face.

If it was a Galaga anniversary or a Pac-Man anniversary or Q*bert anniversary, this thread wouldn't of been created simply because they are not Nintendo games

Flynn

Polari said:
How would a B-side chart?

DJs give it spins. One extreme example is "I Saw Her Standing There" by the Beatles. The song was the B-side to "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and recieved enough play to hit #14 on the Billboard charts.

Duderz

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:

Here's a third: Your opinions on videogames are just as bad as demi's.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
JoshuaJSlone said:
The same reason most arcade games don't get ported home perfectly?

Cause it came to early in the systems life? I dunno but the NES was obviously good enough to do it perfectly post-Megaman/Mario/etc. Kinda feel gipped is all.

gutter_trash said:
Donkey Kong 3 sucked

:(

Well I like it anyway....

Top Bottom