• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's on like a 20th Anniversary of Donkey Kong [Country]!

Walnuts, peanuts, pineapple smells,
Grapes, melons, oranges and coconut shells!
Ahh yeah!

~Snippet of lyrics from Donkey Kong 64's DK Rap
tumblr_n0jadpJ6mz1rezdhvo1_500.gif

Nintendolife.com Article said:
Donkey Kong is Nintendo's first major star, having made his debut in the arcade game that effectively turned the company into the global monster it is today. However, when Mario decided to become Super on the NES and take his place as Nintendo's number one mascot, DK was bumped down the pecking order and relegated to a secondary role — until 1994, that is.

UK studio Rare — now part of the Microsoft family but back in the '90s a key Nintendo ally — took the popular primate and gave him his own platforming adventure on the SNES. Donkey Kong Country was remarkable not only for the fact that it played brilliantly, but also because it used ground-breaking CGI visuals which looked leagues ahead of other 2D games on 16-bit consoles.

Today marks the 20th anniversary of the game's North American launch (it arrived in Europe on November 24th and Japan on the 26th).

Let's talk about favorite game, favorite Kong, favorite animal buddy, favorite music track, and perhaps the TV show.
That's right. There was a TV show.

Tizoc

I was actually planning on making a thread for this =)
Happy 20th anniversary. The games are quite fun but it's been a long time since I replayed them.

This is the game that made my 18 (at the time) year old brother proclaim, "arcades are dead." Him and his buddies would regularly come over and play the shit out of DKC.

To celebrate this momentous occasion, NoA will be releasing the original DKC trilogy on the eShop starting immediately. Who am I kidding? Mario Pinball Land is the game we've all been waiting for.

DKC was a really fun game, my first exposure to it was the bonus stages being used on a kids tv show in Australia.

Got to play the proper game for myself months later, it was highly addictive.

Top Bottom