• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardest Fighting Game Characters To Master

For me, it's probably Geese from KOF and Dimitri from Darkstalkers. To get their combos and supers to work at 100% accuracy is very, very difficult.

I've always had issues playing with Gen in SFIV. I just can't find the rhythm or timing. It really filled me with so much pleasure to see him used to destroy top players at Evo.

For me it was always Akira in Virtua Fighter.
He is generally regarded as the hardest isn't he? He always comes up in regards to the character learning curve.

AAK

If you're judging how hard a ucharacter is based on difficulty of combo's/supers? That's extremely subjective considering every game has specific combo's that are only humanly possible using programmable inputs and such.

I'll give my input:

As for execution.... I'd probably say Ino from Guilty Gear XX AC+

As for knowledge of the character... definitely Yoshimitsu from Tekken Tag Tournament 2

If you're judging how hard a ucharacter is based on difficulty of combo's/supers? That's extremely subjective considering every game has specific combo's that are only humanly possible using programmable inputs and such.

I'll give my input:

As for execution.... I'd probably say Ino from Guilty Gear XX

As for knowledge of the character... definitely Yoshimitsu from Tekken Tag Tournament 2

I'm judging based on accuracy performing moves and combos. I can use shotokan street fighter characters with probably 95% accuracy. But with Geese, for example, I cannot perform combos and supers at anywhere near that sort of accuracy. The timing and button inputs needed make that sort of precision impossible for me.

When I think of truly mastering a character, I think of having at least 98% accuracy, i.e. making almost zero input mistakes, as well as knowing which moves are the best suited for a particular situation.

Shun

Stance Characters. Period.

All characters are hard to master, it's just some are easier to pick up at first than others.

NEO0MJ

Stance Characters. Period.

When I entered this thread the first thing that came to mind was Lei Wulong from Tekken, he just seems like an impossible character with all those stances and situational moves. But maybe pro level with that characters drops a lot of them.

Anth0ny

high level Fox is a beast like no other

meleefoxtechskillz1kuj.gif

Shun

She really isn't imo, it just seems that way.

She's not as input heavy as other characters and it's really only learning your frames so that you can Rest reliably.

Once you learn that, it's just Wall of Pain, drill rests, and Pound-tilts to recover. Bread and butter. She has a lot of options, but your entire game is mostly in the air with the occasional throws and smashes.

The only real difficult part is spacing and keeping yourself away from the opponent and away from kill percentage.

I'm judging based on accuracy performing moves and combos. I can use shotokan street fighter characters with probably 95% accuracy. But with Geese, for example, I cannot perform combos and supers at anywhere near that sort of accuracy. The timing and button inputs needed make that sort of precision impossible for me.

Any game with a Raging Storm motion can be done HCB X 2, DF + Whatever.

The Deadly Rave just takes a bit of time to feel the rhythm of the button presses. They vary between games.

The best game to practice both motions is SVC Chaos. And if you want to practice the Deadly Rave without Geese you can sub Terry in do the Rising Beat instead. You can also sub your practice game for Regulation A.

The above will get you on your way but knowing motions doesn't equal mastery.

Hatchtag

Banned

Not really. Even in casual play, if you play her for more than 5 matches you can start lining up rests pretty well.

Characters I'd consider hard for Smash, in casual play, would be Yoshi, Samus, and Ness. I'm always amazed when I see someone doing cool shit with them, because I can never figure out how to.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I always thoguth Mr Game And Watch was the only Smash character that confused me, but he was always really good with others

Bleep

high level Fox is a beast like no other

meleefoxtechskillz1kuj.gif

I haven't spent a huge amount of time playing Melee compared to other fighting games, but Fox really does seem crazy difficult in terms of execution. Traditional fighting game players are often quick to dismiss Melee, but the quality of execution needed to use Fox/Falco is incredibly high.

I never really found execution in Blazblue to be overly difficult, the game buffers inputs and it is quite slow. Carl requires smart play, but I think Guilty Gear has characters with a similar play style that are harder to use in terms of execution. I lost interest in Blazblue after the first revision though, so I could be wrong here.

Yaqoub

Akira from VF was the most challenging, but once I learned how to play him well he's the most satisfying character to use. Learning him helped me get better in VF overall with proper practice.

Yaqoub

I'll give my input:

As for execution.... I'd probably say Ino from Guilty Gear XX AC+

I don't play I-NO personally (Slayer all the way lol) but I remember a friend trying to learn her false roman cancel-heavy combos and they were a bitch to learn/execute. I felt his pain throughout his practice so I understand why she's mentioned.

Good find, lol.

Bleep

I agree with everyone saying Akira from Virtua Fighter is the most difficult character to play as. I've only played as him casually, but my friends who use Akira have put a hell of a lot of time into learning him.

Tekken has a number of characters that are quite difficult to play as. Mishimas have a reputation for being very difficult, requiring very precise inputs to pull off moves and movements that will be bread and butter for any Mishima player. I put quite a lot of time into learning these characters to get to a point where I am comfortable that I can use them without messing up my inputs.

kazuya__s_ewgf_by_mis8ckkf.gif

Youtube: TEKKEN TAG 2 - Mishima Combo Exhibition 6 by The Main Man

I also want to mention Nina, she has a number of techniques that make her very difficult to use from an execution standpoint. In particular her multiple flapping butterfly combo stumped me for a long time before I was even able to pull it off in training mode. It is deceptively simple to look at, but difficult in practice.

i5gAT7wzAlVi9.gif

Youtube: Tekken 6 BR: Nina's Multiple Flapping Butterfly Tutorial by Papioll

Yaqoub

I agree with everyone saying Akira from Virtua Fighter is the most difficult character to play as. I've only played as him casually, but my friends who use Akira have put a hell of a lot of time into learning him.

Tekken has a number of characters that are quite difficult to play as. Mishimas have a reputation for being very difficult, requiring very precise inputs to pull off moves and movements that will be bread and butter for any Mishima player. I put quite a lot of time into learning these characters to get to a point where I am comfortable that I can use them without messing up my inputs.

kazuya__s_ewgf_by_mis8ckkf.gif

Youtube: TEKKEN TAG 2 - Mishima Combo Exhibition 6 by The Main Man

I also want to mention Nina, she has a number of techniques that make her very difficult to use from an execution standpoint. In particular her multiple flapping butterfly combo stumped me for a long time before I was even able to pull it off in training mode. It is deceptively simple to look at, but difficult in practice.

i5gAT7wzAlVi9.gif

Youtube: Tekken 6 BR: Nina's Multiple Flapping Butterfly Tutorial by Papioll

I think the Mishimas are basically an execution challenge for their electrics but in general aren't too difficult to play. Despite not pulling off EWGFs with Kazuya reliably I found him generally straight forward to use. Not downplaying any advanced execution requirements but it comes down to his electric to start considering Kazuya in high level play. Laggy screens suck :/

Bleep

I think the Mishimas are basically an execution challenge for their electrics but in general aren't too difficult to play. Despite not pulling off EWGFs with Kazuya reliably I found him generally straight forward to use. Not downplaying any advanced execution requirements but it comes down to his electric to start considering Kazuya in high level play. Laggy screens suck :/

My impression was that this thread was specifically about execution, which is why I wrote about them. Once you have the tools under your belt I agree that they are no more difficult than other Tekken characters to actually use in a match, ignoring the mechanical execution of pulling it off.

Laggy screens do suck! I did a lot of research to find my current monitor. I'm also pretty lucky that I have an arcade where people play Tekken close by so I don't have to worry about different set ups! Unfortunately no Virtua Fighter here though...

Yaqoub

My impression was that this thread was specifically about execution, which is why I wrote about them. Once you have the tools under your belt I agree that they are no more difficult than other Tekken characters to actually use in a match, ignoring the mechanical execution of pulling it off.

Laggy screens do suck! I did a lot of research to find my current monitor. I'm also pretty lucky that I have an arcade where people play Tekken close by so I don't have to worry about different set ups! Unfortunately no Virtua Fighter here though...

Yeah absolutely correct. Leveling up execution though is a ton of fun. Sadly there's no VF scene here in Kuwait so I just play against CPU from time to time to keep from getting too rusty. When I travel to Japan I live at Club Segas.

Maybe I should play TTT2 again. It's been a while.

Tager from BlazBlue, incredibly slow, aerial vulnerability, needs complete mastery of 360s n 720s to deal significant damage. The matchup with Hazama is particularly bad.

Top Bottom