• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardest Fighting Game Characters To Master

For me in particular: charge characters on a stick, but I never really practice.

My contribution will be...

KoF13: Elizabeth
SFIV: Dhalism - Matchups and performing perfectly

Ultratech

Yeah, high-level Fox is just bonkers.

The amount of crap they can pull off...crazy.

Voldo from the Soul Caliber series. Just could never get in the flow of using him.

Voldo is fun as hell once you know what you're doing.

It's like pulling off a mad dance...only that you're beating up somebody else while doing it.

For me in particular: charge characters on a stick, but I never really practice.

My contribution will be...

KoF13: Elizabeth
SFIV: Dhalism - Matchups and performing perfectly

Charge characters usually require a different mindset to play with. To counteract the charge times of their special moves they usually have great normals that you can abuse (Bison s.HK, Mitsuru 5A, etc.). Charge partitioning in 3S is really hard though, it's part of the reason why I can't play Urien really well. I can do easy stuff like s.MP xx headbutt and his juggles aren't so bad, but mixing them all together on the fly is tough.

Saw someone else mention A.B.A. from Guilty Gear and that's one I'd definitely agree with. You have to manage her forms properly (do I go for max damage? do I go for double keystab? should I use a bloodpack here?) or else you are gonna get Instant Killed. Her execution is really, really easy but actually playing her against competent players is a completely different story.

Jedah and B.B. Hood/Bulleta from Darkstalkers are very difficult to play as well IMO.

GooeyHeat

I-No's stuff is so hard that one of her biggest "buffs" in Guilty Gear Xrd is changing Chemical Love's input to a 214(button) (imagine computer numpad for the directions). Before it was 632146(button). Nasty stuff.

Johnny, too. It makes me sad that he's so technical, because he got so many good buffs in Accent Core +R, as well as his new alternate color. The one on the right, specifically, that red trim... sogood.franco

LowParry

Tekken has a number of characters that are quite difficult to play as. Mishimas have a reputation for being very difficult, requiring very precise inputs to pull off moves and movements that will be bread and butter for any Mishima player. I put quite a lot of time into learning these characters to get to a point where I am comfortable that I can use them without messing up my inputs.

I agree with this to an extent. Using Kaz an example, there are tools around the character that makes it rather difficult. First you have the KBDs, then you have wavedash. These two specific tools can take some time to pull off. Followed with EWGF, the character can be a bit hard to learn. However! Not all these tools can make the character work. I think the one you can get away from are the wavedash. I think it's been said with the FGC that the oldschool Tekken players don't see it as a great tool for Mishimas. Me personally can't do wavedash on the fly but it's part of my execution with closing the gap with movement. It's muscle reaction at this point where I can do it but when just trying to get it done over and over, it just doesn't come out.

Tekken as a whole though takes some dedication to learn. You have a huge roster of characters to start.

I-No's stuff is so hard that one of her biggest "buffs" in Guilty Gear Xrd is changing Chemical Love's input to a 214(button) (imagine computer numpad for the directions). Before it was 632146(button). Nasty stuff.

I think HCL had its range nerfed but the new input and the removal of FRCs is going to make her a monster in Xrd. I haven't really watched a lot of gameplay of her, but from what I have seen, she looks great.

Easier combos + her already amazing note oki is going to be so awesome.

Neff

Yoshimitsu, before Tekken became a complete cointoss.

Eh, he's still the master's character, more than ever.

Dr. B I could never, ever get the hang of, but that might just be me.

Not going to argue with Akira, but I think this guy is just as hard to master:

kagemaru.jpg

They're all hard to master of course, but I think Kage is very competent with only a dozen or so moves. He's high risk/reward, but he's got power, offense and defense where he needs it. He's a total contrast to somebody like Yoshimitsu who is mostly high risk/showoff material, and is going to get bodied unless you know him very, very well.

Ivy from Soul Calibur. I couldn't do SHIT with her ever.

She's an excellent long-range character and an ok close-range character, mostly because of her command grabs. Her mid-range kind of blows.

danmaku

Lei Wulong in Tekken. He's like a walking encyclopedia of moves, and you need to use them to be effective. You can't just limit yourself to the "10 best moves" you found on Tekken Zaibatsu or you'll suck.

lei-br.jpeg

Jedah is not that difficult. His flight install and lack of sweep is his hardest obstacles. Oh and talbain kinda owns his soul.

I just find it very difficult to maintain pressure with him. He's one of those characters where if you lose your momentum it's hard to come back since his defensive tools are kind of weak.

shaowebb

A part of me wants to be that guy that claims Brad Wong from DOA is such a character but he's not honestly...you just have some crazy stuff thats hard to pull off you can do for swag. Nothing like a well timed fall to dodge Jann Lee's kick.

Real talk.
C VIPER
JADE
JOKER/CYBORG/LEX LUTHOR
JILL VALENTINE (mvc3 version)

Came in to say I-No, Carl, and Akira.

Before I knew about Akira being like he is, I tried VF5 FS on a whim one day ($5 sale for the base game so I thought "why not", I tried him and was like "man this game's too hard for me lol" and I barely gave it much thought again. I did go back to it, switched to Jacky, and still play/suck at it since, but yeah, thinking everyone was Akira level really took me out of it at first lol.

As for I-No, her playstyle in XX is very fun for me but the execution is just too much, lol. Once in a while when my friend and I are just playing for fun/no seriousness I'll use her. Knowing she's going to be a little easier in Xrd makes me excited to try her out at some point whenever the port releases.

Coxy

Jeffry from VF, Akira might be hard but he hasnt changed as much as grappling has been changed from game to game in VF

512px-Sarah_DOA5.png

Sarah from Virtua Fighter is also a little complicated imo,

I always found Sarah and Jackie to be good button masher characters. You could mash buttons and perform some effective moves, but the leaning curve really went up when you tried to master them.

Wolf was my favorite character in the series, but I always liked his graphing mechanics.and throws.

Eh, he's still the master's character, more than ever.

Dr. B I could never, ever get the hang of, but that might just be me.

They're all hard to master of course, but I think Kage is very competent with only a dozen or so moves. He's high risk/reward, but he's got power, offense and defense where he needs it. .

This is true, but some of the VF characters just have a higher entry level than others. Kage and Akira are really unforgiving to new players that want to mash buttons.While other characters are a little more accessible from the get go.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I agree with everyone saying Akira from Virtua Fighter is the most difficult character to play as. I've only played as him casually, but my friends who use Akira have put a hell of a lot of time into learning him.
Akira is just a matter of getting the execution down. Conceptually he's rather straightforward.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I find Akira being easier to play than Magneto from UMvC3. I can't get down his dash + H combos at all.

Akira to me is about timing. He has a few quick knock downs, but what you really need to get down are his chain combos. He's my main in VF.

High level Akira reads are awesome to see. I get to the point where I use his Chouzan Housui instead of going for another combo.
His P+K+G commands are rough to get down, but they look the best out of all his combos.

I have problems with his D, B,F + P and his P+G (release G after 1st frame) I believe.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I find Akira being easier to play than Magneto from UMvC3. I can't get down his dash + H combos at all.

Akira to me is about timing. He has a few quick knock downs, but what you really need to get down are his chain combos. He's my main in VF.

High level Akira reads are awesome to see. I get to the point where I use his Chouzan Housui instead of going for another combo.
His P+K+G commands are rough to get down, but they look the best out of all his combos.

I have problems with his D, B,F + P and his P+G (release G after 1st frame) I believe.
i can't do the knee on pad, but it's easy to me on stick nowadays.
for his double palm you must either buffer the crouch state with a crouch dash (making the input 3346P), or do it during the input buffer of anything that puts you in a crouch state (2P, blocking a low, landing from a jump, rising from a tech roll)
This is it for me. I can't even complete his command training. That move where you have to "release G after five frames". My fingers just can't move that fast.
heh... one frame...
easy on stick, hard on pad.

GamerJM

Banned
Eh, depends. There are characters in bad fighting games like the Mortal Kombat games post-3 and pre-9 that are just weird to learn because of the game's design. Then there's stuff like Urien and Chun in Third-Strike and Fox/Falco in Melee that's legitimately hard to master and not because of bad game design.

Ninjimbo

i can't do the knee on pad, but it's easy to me on stick nowadays.
for his double palm you must either buffer the crouch state with a crouch dash (making the input 3346P), or do it during the input buffer of anything that puts you in a crouch state (2P, blocking a low, landing from a jump, rising from a tech roll)

heh... one frame...
easy on stick, hard on pad.
One frame, god. It's been awhile since I've tried command training with him. I play with both stick and pad but I could never pull off that move. The timing eludes me. I remember dedicating an afternoon to learning him in VF5 vanilla hoping to put my own spin Akira's move set. It didn't go anywhere though since I couldn't get a grasp on him.

So besides Akira (who is a pain in the ass to use), I also nominate Alpha Patroklos. That guy is like Setsuka on crack, you have to be on it to use him in any capacity because 95% of his game is JFs.

Baiken and Zappa from GG are also tough to use correctly, from my experiences with others playing them (I don't play them so my info is second-hand here).

oneida

One frame, god. It's been awhile since I've tried command training with him. I play with both stick and pad but I could never pull off that move. The timing eludes me. I remember dedicating an afternoon to learning him in VF5 vanilla hoping to put my own spin Akira's move set. It didn't go anywhere though since I couldn't get a grasp on him.
brush G with your thumb while pressing down K with your middle. once you get it, you got it.

Baiken and Zappa from GG are also tough to use correctly, from my experiences with others playing them (I don't play them so my info is second-hand here).
My knowledge of Zappa is very limited but Baiken is one of the easier characters in AC. Her FRC points are very lenient and she has meter less guard cancels which are great at blowing people up. Her combos are pretty easy too. IAD Tatami can be tough until you get the motion, but that's probably the hardest thing to learn.

Sizzle55

I can not use Chun Li from Street Fighter for shit! I have tried many times but I can't make it work for me, I mainly stick to Cody as he suits my style. What advice can you give me to get to grips with Chun Li because I like her character.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I can not use Chun Li from Street Fighter for shit! I have tried many times but I can't make it work for me, I mainly stick to Cody as he suits my style. What advice can you give me to get to grips with Chun Li because I like her character.

Thats pretty backwards there considering had always found Cody to be a harder character to use due to his odd move set in comparison to Chun Li. lol

Any character that has actual style changing like Gen / Lei for 2 examples are always ones I can never use well and am impressed by those who do.

oneida

poke with stHP and stHK
pressure with stMP
kinda SOL for anti air

anything xx Ex legs > ultra

Sizzle55

Thats pretty backwards there considering had always found Cody to be a harder character to use due to his odd move set in comparison to Chun Li. lol

Any character that has actual style changing like Gen / Lei for 2 examples are always ones I can never use well and am impressed by those who do.
I probably fluked a couple of wins with Cody and stuck with him, Got walloped using Chun Li and gave up. I also have issues with Superman in Injustice and have the most success with Aquaman.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Johnny, too. It makes me sad that he's so technical, because he got so many good buffs in Accent Core +R, as well as his new alternate color. The one on the right, specifically, that red trim... sogood.franco

Yoooooooo I haven't been following Xrd much but this is fucking fantastic news. Ino is my girl but like others said her execution is crazy. Really hyped for Xrd now.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I probably fluked a couple of wins with Cody and stuck with him, Got walloped using Chun Li and gave up. I also have issues with Superman in Injustice and have the most success with Aquaman.

Ive seen some insane combo vids of cody and was like wtf he can do that? lol cool stuff though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Only thing hard about I-no before was how often you had to do them and how strict her FRC timings were. It's more of an execution barrier thing. I'd still say Carl is harder than her in the long run due to how much more shit you have to learn with him and manage as well as execution.

For me, Viper, Hwoarang, and Alpha Potroklos

I still can't pull off a Fierce Feint Fierce during a match with Viper and even more stuff with Alpha Potroklos.

Yaqoub

while it's true that some of Akira's commands - namely the GBoD and the knee - take some practice before you'll be landing them consistently, his MO is actually really straightforward. in this regard, he's one of the simplest characters in the game!

666P at medium disadvantage, combo on CH, fuzzy guard on block
mix up guard breaks (6P+K+G -> combo) and throws (46P+G is best forward, 64P+G -> combo is best back throw) if you think your opponent will block

and that's it.

I get why people are intimidated by him, but don't even worry about the knee and GBoD for now. the knee isn't even that great now that 666P is so good. go learn Akira because he's cool as shit

You're right, but you'd come to this realization once you learn how to play him properly, lol. I still have trouble with that knee move releasing G at 1 frame. Can't ever pull it off reliably. Another thing that I found tough is moving Akira around. I firmly believe if you can learn how to move Akira around the stage you can pretty much handle movement with the rest of the cast with relative ease, with the exception of Taka Arashi maybe?

Oh God I wanna play so bad now...

LCGeek

formerly sane
In SCV, Yoshimitsu's pretty execution heavy too coupled with worse risk reward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP9eqZA6En8

One reason why I stopped playing him. I've seen great tourney level players give up on for that factor you mentioned at the end.

Love yoshi especially since he has insane potential but getting to work is just outright not happening when lot of characters in various version offer the same with much less risk reward. Love his suicide stab heal and or some of his just frames.

Top Bottom