• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardest Fighting Game Characters To Master

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I salute anyone who can play properly with Vega
Street_Fighter_Tribute___Vega_by_Varges.jpg

Keihart

Ivy from Soul Calibur. I couldn't do SHIT with her ever.

I can't do shit with Ivy after SC2, i don't understand in the new SC with Ivy, it used to have very easy to understand stances and especific moves for those.

I might be wrong, but i feel that some characters in tekken and GG in general are a pain to master, wich is fun , because is a mix of execution with understanding of their arsenal.

Don't really know about especific characters, since i tend to pick 2 or 3 mains, and never again touch the other characters.

cody from street fighter 4 for me he has a couple of 1 frame links but the hardest part and most enjoying about him is that he doesn't have a get out a jail free card you need good reads on your opponent when you're under pressure to get some breathing room and lay the hurt

Village

I didn't really mean it literally, just that her design is leaned more towards a stick user. There are some pad prodigy types out there for sure though, like Vangief.

I dunno I feel like Viper was better for me on a pad, I am not some stick expert or anything. But for me anyway.

Tekken-6-Story-nina-williams-15844091-1280-720.jpg

Anna and Nina Williams from Tekken. Then again, I love complicated, challenging characters.

akira-virtua-fighter-1358813-863-1243.jpg

Akira is a little easier to play now imo, but he was insanity to master in the older Virtua Fighter games.

512px-Sarah_DOA5.png

Sarah from Virtua Fighter is also a little complicated imo,

Most grapplers in 2D games imo are tough to master such as Zangief or T-Hawk.

Syril

I tried to play as Akira from Virtua Fighter in practice mode and I couldn't even get some of his moves to execute at all.

Definitely Virtua Fighter characters.

Akira, Kage, Goh, Vanessa, Wolf, Aoi, etc...it takes time just to even begin to have any offense.

NEO0MJ

I'm surprised by how often Akira is mentioned, you'd think the protag would be one of the easier characters to play. The Mishimas require good execution due to the EWGF but other than that they're no more challenging than other characters in the game and frankly have good and relatively easy to use moves.

I dunno I feel like Viper was better for me on a pad, I am not some stick expert or anything. But for me anyway.

I play primarily on controller myself, though I'm very accustomed to a stick. A few have told me I should go at it with one since I play Claw, but I think I do pretty well with the ole cross pad.

Is C.Viper really considered a difficult character? She's probably one of the Street Fighter IV characters I have the easiest time playing as. Then again, I would hardly say I've "mastered" her.

NEO0MJ

Is C.Viper really considered a difficult character? She's probably one of the Street Fighter IV characters I have the easiest time playing as. Then again, I would hardly say I've "mastered" her.

She relies on a lot of quick spacial cancels and tight excecution to use in the pro level.

Kain

Possibly Venom from GG. Yeah, Testament or Arakune are the trap masters, but Venom is another level of insane with all that ball (lol) positioning.

I main Vega in SFIV and I tell you I can't, for the life of me, perform some of his 1-frame links. Not that they are useful, but fuck.

But I was thinking Vega is hard to master because you have to play defensively and adapt to the opponent's state of mind. You can't bash the same combos over and over again, you have to wait for your opportunity and strike. Mind games, positioning, baiting, footsies... all combined. You don't see that in any other characters and I love it.

petran79

Banned
funny that you mention Demitri.
In Darkstalkers he feels the more familiar since he is closest to the shoto archetype

Other characters like Lilith, Morrigan, Bulleta, Jedah, Lord Raptor are more execution heavy. I use Lilith and her links are very hard.
they require amazing precision and execution. by the time it takes for me to go from one button to the next, others have performed an Illusion combo already. Cant for the life of me reach that speed.

On the other hand and regarding gameplay, Anakaris is the hardest to master, due to his fewer options.

I find Garou: Mark of the Wolves the most execution heavy.
Especially characters like Marco, Terry Bogard, the younger Hwan brother and Gato.

their cancel moves are impossible for me to master. they require a dragon punch, followed by AB cancel, then a super, usually 2xdf punch or kick, some even 3xdf punch or kick.Performing that move even once takes its toll from me and I cant do much else afterward. others can dp cancel three times in a row!

The other characters are easier since they have a df punch or kick, AB cancel and super.

in the middle are Rock Howard (360 punch and AB cancel) and Kim (d, u charge, kick, AB cancel)

the shoryuken move is infinitely more difficult to cancel. mastering those characters makes SF4 Viper like a walk in the park.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
For me it was always Akira in Virtua Fighter.

Akira from VF was the most challenging, but once I learned how to play him well he's the most satisfying character to use. Learning him helped me get better in VF overall with proper practice.

I agree with everyone saying Akira from Virtua Fighter is the most difficult character to play as. I've only played as him casually, but my friends who use Akira have put a hell of a lot of time into learning him.

I tried to play as Akira from Virtua Fighter in practice mode and I couldn't even get some of his moves to execute at all.

Definitely Virtua Fighter characters.

Akira, Kage, Goh, Vanessa, Wolf, Aoi, etc...it takes time just to even begin to have any offense.
while it's true that some of Akira's commands - namely the GBoD and the knee - take some practice before you'll be landing them consistently, his MO is actually really straightforward. in this regard, he's one of the simplest characters in the game!

666P at medium disadvantage, combo on CH, fuzzy guard on block
mix up guard breaks (6P+K+G -> combo) and throws (46P+G is best forward, 64P+G -> combo is best back throw) if you think your opponent will block

and that's it.

I get why people are intimidated by him, but don't even worry about the knee and GBoD for now. the knee isn't even that great now that 666P is so good. go learn Akira because he's cool as shit

Maxi from Soul Calibur. From a pure knowledge stand point, you need to know every move in every stance & when you can & can't use them & know all of his transitions as well.

Armor King from Tekken. All of the complexities of Mishimas & King combined with only half the reward.

Silky

Banned
Street Fighter:
Vega/Claw.

King of Fighters:
Rin (2002), Duo Lon

Skullgirls:
Double

Marvel:
For the life of me, I cannot play with Dante.

Tekken:
Wang Jinrei

Virtua Fighter:
Goh

Guilty Gear:
I-NO, Johnny, and A.B.A (speaking as an A.B.A main.)

BadWolf

Angel from KOF is worth mentioning as well I think, a unique and complex move set and style.

May Lee could be difficult as well with her style switching in the midst of offense and combos.

poople

Neo Member
Mishimas - mishimas are execution heavy wavedash, ewgf etc. Add that on top of tekkens large amount of matchups hundreds of different moves

Vsav characters- while there are some easier ones a lot of cast of vsav has a high execution barrier pretty much every character has something that requires a large amount of skill. Also the game over all has a relatively low amount of hitstun on a lot of moves

I-no is definitely the most execution heavy character in guilty gear but guilty gear is similar to vsav most characters are relatively hard to learn

For me personally it's either lilith from vsav(I suck at buffering demon out of anything) or twelve from 3s. I think that it's fair to say that large a part of learning character is matchups and twelve is a character so bad it takes a lot more than execution to learn how to win as him.

Clawww

Possibly Venom from GG. Yeah, Testament or Arakune are the trap masters, but Venom is another level of insane with all that ball (lol) positioning.

I main Vega in SFIV and I tell you I can't, for the life of me, perform some of his 1-frame links. Not that they are useful, but fuck.

But I was thinking Vega is hard to master because you have to play defensively and adapt to the opponent's state of mind. You can't bash the same combos over and over again, you have to wait for your opportunity and strike. Mind games, positioning, baiting, footsies... all combined. You don't see that in any other characters and I love it.

His 1-frame links are super duper important, actually. They are definitely a bitch though. The rest of what you're saying: footsies, zoning, playing lame etc. is definitely not unique to Vega, and in fact, he's pretty straightforward if you stick to his obvious strengths; in SFIV he's hard to use in a sense because he's not very good. In other games, he's a fucking monster and pretty easy to pick up.

Flysquare

Soul Calibur IV Ivy is hard to learn and master, yet when you do, she's like the most interesting character in a fighting game.
She's trash in Soul Calibur V though, very boring... saddly.

Soul Calibur IV Hilde is also very unique and interesting.

Virtua Fighter characters need some dedication. I like Aoi, but she's not easy to learn.

Garcia

Some of KOF's bosses have truly horrible power sequences... I can't remember any other game with such awkward inputs.

FourMyle

Cancel heavy characters in MOTW, like Terry, can be pretty demanding. You have to have lighting quick reflexes and be ready to perform a multi cancel combo at any second. That said, I never reached mid/high level in MOTW so maybe it gets easier once you've played for a few months.

You literally never see Jill in Marvel3 being used because of the insane amount of execution necessary to make her even viable. I've see Clockwork do some wild shit with her in level 3 Xfactor beast mode, but your average human can't get close.

I-No from Guilty Gear XX Accent Core.

HCL 6FRC6 is one of the hardest things I've seen in a fighter and it's necessary to play her well.

Imm0rt4l

Any character in sf4 that has to block for an extended period of time cuz they have no invincible dp, or teleports. Eat divekicks and like it.

vocab

The problem with c viper is that you need to know execution techniques that aren't really explained at all in the game. Meterless fadc. Fierce feint fierce. Tk seismos. Sjcs ultra from normals. If I had an all in one guide I would probably put effort into learning her but all of the info is segmented across many different resources.

My pick is ash from kof 13 though.

Angel from KOF is worth mentioning as well I think, a unique and complex move set and style.

May Lee could be difficult as well with her style switching in the midst of offense and combos.

Wow, I came to post exactly these two. Also, fighting against someone who has mastered them is no fun, since I generally have no freaking clue what's going on :p

Kazuya from Tekken. If you really must master this character at a high level you'll be relying on movement, wiff and block punishers with EWGF to do any real damage. This is because he has almost no abusable pokes and must rely on mixups and punishing.

Meanwhile characters like Bob and Miguel can jab you to death.

stn

SF4:
C. Viper - needs high execution
El Fuerte - his run loop is really hard
Gen - stance changes
Honda - piano'ing into HHS
Blanka - st. jab into electricity piano'ing

SFxT:
Jin - special step cancels are hard
Kazuya - ditto

SF3:
Urien - charge partitioning