• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardware numbers for Russia

D.Lo

Dragona Akehi said:
Well they are shipments, not necessarily sales. It'd be nice to see actual sell-through numbers if possible.
That's even more puzzling to me.

I'm surprised Nintendo would even bother selling there, if they in fact have. MS and Sony no doubt already have supply lines for all their other products, so adding a console to existing lines is easier, but why would Nintendo bother to sell 50k that would probably be better served somewhere else that buys games? I'd be guessing all these consoles are imports from elsewhere, or at the very most only semi-officially sub-distributed. And given the numbers are so low, the sub-distributor might as well have just grabbed an allocation or two from France or somewhere.

IE shipments are just whatever someone has bothered to bring into the country.

Haunted

In repatriation, Captain Smoker should PM me for a free tag.
:eek: Dragona knows how to play them.

and here I was all ready to grab my pitchfork and torches and everything.

HK-47 said:
Dragona Akehi
You Shall Be Judged...j/k have a free tag
(Today, 12:28 PM)
Reply | Quote
:lol

Hesemonni said:
So, how does this differ from the rest of world?

Yes I went there.

I take offense to the insinuation that Asians pirate 99% of our software!

It's closer to 99.99%

Kinan

Yea, the original article is from quite serious mainstream website/publisher, so the numbers are in general correct. The author of the article is clearly not that familiar with the videogames industry though, so some phrases from there would make gaf laugh. :)

Also 50k for xbox360 is from official distributor only, but there is quite big "gray" market for xboxs in Russia and they say that the recent price drop there was aimed on fighting the import of x360. So the total installed base there is bigger.

I dont know where they got estimates for piracy though, article only says "experts".

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Kinan said:
I dont know where they got estimates for piracy though, article only says "experts".
Attach rates? :p
When a console has 1:1 attach, you can safely assume 90+% piracy.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
In Soviet Russia, Wii waggles you.

Stumpokapow said:
Well, you get banned for posting "Weekly World News reports Bush has a love triangle with Condoleeza and Batboy" stories in Poligaf, so I don't know why there'd be any difference for sales age.

So, they make up the numbers? Or how do I have to understand this?

Shiggy

picture.jpg

"I neither need Uncharted nor S.T.A.L.K.E.R."

Are Russian folks even allowed to decide which console to buy? If it was like their elections I'd say no.

But that's a different story...
I think with increasing prosperity it is a given that also Russians console sales will increase.

Tideas

Banned
nubbe said:
Finland $24,07 5.307.220 127.752.880 $

I thought Nokialand was rich. The spending seem low.

probably averages out for more NDS games than 360/PS3 games

(neutral) Captain Smoker
Banned for 10 minutes and all I got was this tag
(Today, 09:07 AM)

Safe Bet

Banned
Shiggy said:
picture.jpg

"I neither need Uncharted nor S.T.A.L.K.E.R."
Ok..

The shirt off thing while fishing I can buy but no one goes hunting through brush without a shirt on.

:(

Shiggy said:
Are Russian folks even allowed to decide which console to buy? If it was like their elections I'd say no.
Take the sty from your own eye before you worry about your brother's sty.

nli10

These numbers are very confusing.

On the one hand PS3 could be higher in sales because it can't be pirated like the other systems, but you don't pirate the hardware just the software. This would logically dictate that more hardware would be sold for the systems that could have pirate games made for them easily. Yet all 3 systems have very similar sales!

I guess that in Russia piracy doesn't effect the choice of systems bought (or all dodgy chipped systems are not counted for sales tracking).

I've visited the Virtually Groundless Countz site message-board to shudder at the inaccuracies in their weekly UK sales threads. Their enthusiasm is much greater than their knowledge, and anyone brave enough to spend enough time there to find a genuine fact deserves a mighty tag indeed.

Hitmeneer

Wow ... wouldn't think that the xbox360 piracy rates would be higher then the Wii. Also the PS3 is already cracked as far as I know. But only on a really small scale.

I'm really not suprised however by the rates. It's quiet known that Russia, like China, is a walhalla for piracy.

dr_rus

PC piracy is quite low in Russia actually.
PC games cost about $20-30 here and they are mostly localized while console games cost $80-100 and are mostly English versions.
Oh, and most PC games here use Starforce, yeah.

That Commersant.ru article is full of shit in every detail (f.e. they think that low piracy on PS3 is a result of the prices for Blu-Ray recorders :lol ) so I wouldn't trust it's numbers.
And the number of Wii sold isn't given directly, it's just said to be 'on par' with X360 sales.

As for the PS3 sales, according to this (in Russian) they're closer to 100k not 60k. Which is actually more in line with my own expectations because of the power of PlayStation brand here in Russia.

Hitmeneer

avaya said:
Like you mean not cracked at all?

I heard from a friend that he wanted to get his PS3 modded, because a friend of him also did it. I live in Holland and he had to get his PS3 to Germany for that. But I have never seen it, so I'm not 100% sure but I don't see any reason why he would lie about it.

Safe Bet

Banned
Hitmeneer said:
I heard from a friend that he wanted to get his PS3 modded, because a friend of him also did it. I live in Holland and he had to get his PS3 to Germany for that. But I have never seen it, so I'm not 100% sure but I don't see any reason why he would lie about it.
That's called "talking out of your ass".

Top Bottom