• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmonix announces Rock Band Rivals paid expansion for Rock Band 4

Dubbed "Rockudrama" a narrator will tell the story of your band's trials and tribulations as your group was riding high... before it all came crashing down. Before the inevitable comeback, of course. Rockudrama will also include its own new venues, Rock Shop items and gameplay challenges.

The other major addition in this DLC is in the title. Rivals mode will allows players to asynchronously challenge each other to various songs. There will even be options to join a crew and compete against rival bands as a team effort.

Rock Band Rivals will be available as an expansion, but also bundled with a full Band Kit for $199.99 (or your local equivalent). There will also be an $89.99 Wireless Fender Jaguar Bundle that includes the core game, Rivals DLC, and the upcoming foldable blue Fender Jaguar guitar controller (which will retail for $69.99 on its own).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-19-rock-band-4s-rivals-dlc-detailed

Storm360

Worth noting online multiplayer... aka the biggest draw for this expansion is locked behind the paid portion and will not be coming to the base game

TimPV3

I hope things workout better for them this year, with a lower price and no competition from Guitar Hero.

Gleethor

"Hey I just got the new Rock Band expansion"

"Cool, what songs?"

"Oh, uh, there weren't any. Oh but there is a documentary mode-hey wait where'd you go?"

Ridley327

"Hey I just got the new Rock Band expansion"

"Cool, what songs?"

"Oh, uh, there weren't any. Oh but there is a documentary mode-hey wait where'd you go?"

Well, there are songs you get if you pre-order the expansion, but they're not going to be exclusive to it, nor should they be.

For the PDP-published version of the game, they're also giving away a pair of pretty big pop-rock singles with Amazon pre-orders:

•Maroon 5 "One More Night"
•Matchbox 20 "3AM"

Justified

Having Online lock behind the expansion, and need updated to the base game isnt a great decision

8EZb9Do.png

bounchfx

are you shittin me

game still isn't everything it was supposed to be as a valid successor of RB, and after all this time now they want to release a PAID expansion when the rest of the base game isn't there yet

damn

MrNelson

Banned
FYI, these are the songs you get for pre-ordering:

Bring Me The Horizon –“Happy Song”
Capital Cities –“Safe and Sound”
Eagle-Eye Cherry –“Save Tonight”
Pharrell Williams –“Happy“
The Neighbourhood –“Sweater Weather”
Of Monsters And Men –“Little Talks”
Semisonic –“Closing Time”
Sia –“Chandelier”
Skillet –“Feel Invincible”
Weezer –“King of the World”

And these 2 are exclusive to Amazon pre-orders:

Maroon 5 –“One More Night”
Matchbox Twenty –“3 AM”

All will be available as DLC at some point.

are you shittin me

game still isn't everything it was supposed to be as a valid successor of RB, and after all this time now they want to release a PAID expansion when the rest of the base game isn't there yet

damn

Aside from online multiplayer, which will be included in the expansion, what else really is there to add?

FaintDeftone

As much as I love Rock Band and would love new content, locking all of those previously announced features like online play behind the pay wall is pretty scummy since that shit should have been in the base game in the first place. We did pay $60+ for this game at launch, Harmonix, and it shipped with half of the stuff found in previous Rock Band titles.

That being said, I'm a whore and I'll still buy it.

Not including any songs is a fucking joke. You gotta be kidding me... pre-order only? This is gonna come back to bite them on the ass.

MrNelson

Banned
As much as I love Rock Band and would love new content, locking all of those previously announced features like online play behind the pay wall is pretty scummy since that shit should have been in the base game in the first place. We did pay $60+ for this game at launch, Harmonix, and it shipped with half of the stuff found in previous Rock Band titles.

They never said anything about online play until Rivals was announced. It was never promised for free.

ElNino

I don't recall them previously announcing online play, just that it was too expensive of a feature for them to get out with RB4.

RB4, and anything Harmonix does now, is hard to compare to previous titles given the publishing support they had back then.

"We would divide the userbase"

So locking online/story in this expansion isn't dividing the userbase?
I don't see how they could afford to release it for free. I doubt the DLC sales are what they were during the RB1/2/3 days.

RB4, and anything Harmonix does now, is hard to compare to previous titles given the publishing support they had back then.

Yeah, it's kind of crazy that RB4 even released in today's market to be honest, looking at the size of their team now. Hell, I'm still surprised that they managed to get a ton of hardware forwards compatible with the new systems, and that all of our entitlements for thousands of songs are still being sorted through and negotiated with record labels even to this day.

I love how people are getting mad about an expansion. Would you like them to keep churning out a new game year after year?

I'd rather have an expansion that adds to the base game, which by the way, at this point is only really missing online atm. They've added things back in over the year.

StereoVsn

I haven't played Rockband for a long time. Not going to lie, that controller bundle for game and expansion with bonus songs for $72 is tempting.

btags

I love how people are getting mad about an expansion. Would you like them to keep churning out a new game year after year?

I'd rather have an expansion that adds to the base game, which by the way, at this point is only really missing online atm. They've added things back in over the year.

I think people are more angry that they are releasing this stuff as a paid expansion when the base game was so bare bones, not that it is an expansion per se.

SuperPac

I like the idea of supporting a game that I play often, like Rock Band. No new songs is a bit of a kick in the pants though.

Storm360

I'd at least like them to match my 6 year old game first, and if you think online is the only thing wrong with the base game... you probably need to play it more.

FaintDeftone

They never said anything about online play until Rivals was announced. It was never promised for free.

From what I recall, they announced all of this stuff along with Rivals, which made it seem like Rivals was a separate product and the updates were for everyone. They never stated that all of it was bundled together from what I remember. I was under the impression that they were boosting the game's feature set due to complaints and then selling Rivals as an expansion. We really knew nothing about Rivals or its pricing until now.

I understand why they're doing this. These features aren't cheap to develop, but as an owner of Rock Band 4 who was disappointed with the overall package, I feel like some of these should have been free content updates. It is what it is though.

I'd at least like them to match my 6 year old game first, and if you think online is the only thing wrong with the base game... you probably need to play it more.

I play it a lot. If we really wanna get into the nitty gritty of what is missing from RB3, I'll list it.

-Keys(never coming back, no one played them)
-Online(Coming)
-Challenges(Coming with Rivals)
-Bass boost(not in)
-Effects switch(Not in)

They've also said that there's still gonna be free updates , such as the new song selection and ratings system.

I think people are more angry that they are releasing this stuff as a paid expansion when the base game was so bare bones, not that it is an expansion per se.

Yeah, but they've added to what RB4 launched as. They've added, setlists, practice mode, expanded stats and more.

Yeah, $72 with bonus songs and expansion and guitar sounds a lot better then vanilla for $130.

Yep. I wish that they were priced that cheap a year ago. This is a great price for newcomers.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Seeing this series fall so hard makes me sad. Kind of feel like they should have just stayed dead.

It's just like seeing a washed up band do a pathetic reunion tour for some quick cash.

Harmonix is just being authentic. :^)

Seeing this series fall so hard makes me sad. Kind of feel like they should have just stayed dead.

It's just like seeing a washed up band do a pathetic reunion tour for some quick cash.

Harmonix is just being authentic. :^)

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/19/12...pansion-career-rockudrama-multiplayer-preview

But Daniel Sussman, product manager on Rock Band 4, told Polygon during a Rivals demo last week that the studio is "thrilled" with the game’s sales performance, which totals $100 million at retail so far (including purchases of the game and instruments, but excluding downloadable songs). As far as DLC sales go, Sussman added that Rock Band 4 has the highest attach rate of any game in the history of the franchise, meaning that Rock Band 4 players are buying more Rock Band songs on average than ever before.

Yeah, it's really fallen off a cliff. I wished it stayed dead as well.

MrNelson

Banned
I've been playing several times a week since launch, outside of online and keys (which I've accepted are never coming back), my only gripe is my missing track pack exports and delisted dlc, and I say that as someone that bought that damn keyboard for full price back in the day.

Spending most of your cash on independence will do that.

That said, Rock Band 4 doesn't kick me back to the XMB constantly, so that's a huge win over 3 for me.

Storm360

I play it a lot. If we really wanna get into the nitty gritty of what is missing from RB3, I'll list it.

-Keys(never coming back, no one played them)
-Online(Coming)
-Challenges(Coming with Rivals)
-Bass boost(not in)
-Effects switch(Not in)

They've also said that there's still gonna be free updates , such as the new song selection and ratings system.

I'm just talking about things that are wrong with the base game first, not things that are missing

Disappearing Notes at random while playing in Full Band (Granted, this one is rare, it still occurs and is enough to break combo), FPS Drops at random along with micro stutters, especially in long songs, heck, it took me two attempts to FC Jesus Of Suburbia today because of the game stuttering at random in the middle of the song, audio glitches, long load times etc.

Calibration issues - Calibration is still a total nightmare in the game, I have to recalibrate pretty much every time I play the game, along with every time I change instrument

Drum Issues - Drumming in this game is still pretty bad, it struggles with faster notes, struggles registering most things etc

That's ontop of some legacy bugs still existing such as

99% Vocal Glitch - The game will sometimes accidently list a vocal FC as 100%, this has been present since The Beatles Rock Band.

Vocal Band 8x Overdrive scoring glitch - Present since RB3.

RB4 has improved yes, but it still has a long way to go, that's not even mentioning stuff like delisted DLC still not being present, or as a european with a PS4 (This problem is actually so bad i've had to switch back to my Xbox for Rock Band 4), the exports and currently listed DLC being still marked as PS3 only. I can buy a pack in the Rock Band 4 store and be told I can't download it

... I very much want to buy this to support HMX, but the lack of new songs makes it really hard. I still have people over for RB pretty regularly but we're Quickplay folks that play together IRL pretty much exclusively even back when RB did have online stuff. IDK that there's much here for groups like mine.

Top Bottom