• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmonix announces Rock Band Rivals paid expansion for Rock Band 4

MrNelson

Banned
I never heard of full band kit. Does that mean you get all the dlc songs for one price? Pretty expensive but I'm guessing you'd save money in the long run.

The full band kit gets you one of the new guitars, the new drums, a microphone, and Rock Band 4 with the Rivals expansion. If you pre-order the bundle you get those 10 songs for free, and if you get it from Amazon you'll get two additional songs on top of the 10. If you don't pre-order, you can still get those songs as dlc a few weeks after release for $1.99 a piece (or cheaper if they do a pack with them).

The new full band kit is actually cheaper than the full band kit when RB4 launched last year.
In the thing I ready the other day, Harmonix said online multiplayer comes to the base game in a free patch in December. So you don't have to buy the expansion.
No, it's just poor wording on Harmonix's part.

Online is a free update for owners of Rivals, not for all owners of Rock Band 4.

Iorv3th

Where THE FUCK is my Metallica DLC then?

Ask Metallica. Since Guitar Hero they haven't licenses their music to any game. Rocksmith would die to have them in it and it hasn't happened yet.

No, it's just poor wording on Harmonix's part.

Online is a free update for owners of Rivals, not for all owners of Rock Band 4.

Are you sure because I read it multiple times and it sounds like the online update is free for everyone that owns the base game. It will be out after Rivals launches though.

Are you sure because I read it multiple times and it sounds like the online update is free for everyone that owns the base game. It will be out after Rivals launches though.
There are mixed messages. F'r instance:

Harmonix announced earlier this year that it is adding synchronous online multiplayer — a feature that had been part of the series since its inception — to Rock Band 4 as part of a free update that’s scheduled to launch in December. Half of Rock Band Rivals is also dedicated to online multiplayer, but of a different kind.

vs. this:

The expansion will eventually include synchronous online multiplayer too, though Rock Band product manager Daniel Sussman reiterated this functionality will be added in a separate update this December. Sussman also confirmed players must purchase the Rivals expansion in order to obtain the synchronous online multiplayer update; it will not be available as an independent download.

MrNelson

Banned
Ask Metallica. Since Guitar Hero they haven't licenses their music to any game. Rocksmith would die to have them in it and it hasn't happened yet.

From the original announcement:

http://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/s...layer-coming-to-rock-band-4-for-holiday-2016/

"This is just one of the exciting features included as a part of our first big expansion pack coming in the fall. Online multiplayer will be available shortly after that for everyone who has the expansion. Stay tuned for more details at E3!"

Here is what the Harmonix community lead said in a Reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/comments/4o8ajp/hmx_continues_to_confuse_me/d4awk8h

"Everyone who buys Rock Band Rivals will get online multiplayer as an update around the holidays"

StereoVsn

So in order to get the Amazon songs you have to buy another bundle?! Wtf?!

Oh and the Prime Discount doesn't work? Guess I'm passing then...
Prime Discount should work if it's physical. I preordered a guitar/game bundle that comes with 12 songs for $72 vs $90. Don't see it on BestBuy though.

CloudWolf

This whole no songs business is baffling. Their excuse was really weak too.

"We don't want to divide the player base".

Oh come on, your entire game is based around the songs! You divide the userbase by making online an expansion-only thing, not by providing songs for buyers.

Have you even used the RB4 one? It's miles better than the old ones.

I even played through several strum heavy songs with both my GH5 guitar and the RB4 strat to compare and ended up with the same percentage each time (95%+).

It's more sliding my fingers and not the strumming. I just can't get comfortable with it. I played for about 2/3 hours with it on RB4 and gave up. I know some of it is rust, but I just can't get comfy with a strat. It's my third one and they all just end up collecting dust. Xplorer still is my jam forever and always.

BrokenBox

They really should consider offering online as a separate purchase from Rivals because I have a feeling down the line this will happen and fans will get pissed off once again.

RedStep

This whole no songs business is baffling. Their excuse was really weak too.

"We don't want to divide the player base".

Oh come on, your entire game is based around the songs! You divide the userbase by making online an expansion-only thing, not by providing songs for buyers.

The excuse is lame, but it effectively does come with 10/12 songs if you preorder. I like the songs, so that covers $20 of the cost for me. If you're a fan of the game and want it to keep going, I don't know why you wouldn't go ahead and preorder. Not that games are charity, but we all know the difficult financial situation Harmonix has been in for a while - it's in my best interest to toss them some cash, at least.

Hell, if you're feeling cheap go buy it in Brazil Bucks™ where it's only $17 or so USD.

FYI, these are the songs you get for pre-ordering:

Bring Me The Horizon –“Happy Song”
Capital Cities –“Safe and Sound”
Eagle-Eye Cherry –“Save Tonight”
Pharrell Williams –“Happy“
The Neighbourhood –“Sweater Weather”
Of Monsters And Men –“Little Talks”

Semisonic –“Closing Time”
Sia –“Chandelier”
Skillet –“Feel Invincible”
Weezer –“King of the World”

And these 2 are exclusive to Amazon pre-orders:

Maroon 5 –“One More Night”
Matchbox Twenty –“3 AM”

All will be available as DLC at some point.
Three of those are worth a damn, and only barely.
Locking online behind a paid expansion is just shitty.
If Harmonix wants to save the game and their studio in the process, this isn't the way to start.

Top Bottom