• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmonix announces Rock Band Rivals paid expansion for Rock Band 4

Storm360

... I very much want to buy this to support HMX, but the lack of new songs makes it really hard. I still have people over for RB pretty regularly but we're Quickplay folks that play together IRL pretty much exclusively even back when RB did have online stuff. IDK that there's much here for groups like mine.

If it makes you feel better, there are some pre order bonus songs, I guess you can work out what ones you want and subtract that from the expansion price to justify it

BTM

I'd be all over this but only having 10 songs and them being pre-order only is disappointing. With a paid expansion I'd expect at least like 20 songs to be included. Darn.

This is a huge disappointment. RB was a series that could do no wrong in my eyes last gen, but the way 4 has been handled across the board is a letdown.

Only stuff like bug fixes will be free. Additional features added via patches are tied to owning Rivals.

Oh boy...

giphy.gif

Think it was confirmed a while back that updates after the expansion will still be free for everyone. The wording in their statement is shitty.

Are you sure? This is what the Rock Band Rivals page for the Xbox says:
"The Expansion Pack also sets you up to receive free ongoing content updates leading into 2017, including:
o Synchronous Online Multiplayer this Holiday
o Additional character customization options
o Other new features"

Leatherface

FYI, these are the songs you get for pre-ordering:

Bring Me The Horizon –“Happy Song”
Capital Cities –“Safe and Sound”
Eagle-Eye Cherry –“Save Tonight”
Pharrell Williams –“Happy“
The Neighbourhood –“Sweater Weather”
Of Monsters And Men –“Little Talks”
Semisonic –“Closing Time”
Sia –“Chandelier”
Skillet –“Feel Invincible”
Weezer –“King of the World”

And these 2 are exclusive to Amazon pre-orders:

Maroon 5 –“One More Night”
Matchbox Twenty –“3 AM”

All will be available as DLC at some point.

Should be called Pop Band: playin' it safe

I may be wrong, but I recall them stating RB4 was going to be a platform, and we wouldn't be making yearly purchases. Just the game, and any songs we want.

This is the way gaming is going, particularly with Harmonix being smaller than they were back during RB2/3 and the market not being as strong. It's something we see often from other games, just usually phrased much better. This is Rock Band: Cataclysm. Rock Band: The Taken King. Rock Band 4: Year 2.

It's not something we're used to from this genre, and the lack of new songs is a big no-no, but with additional features coming in later on top of the Rockumentary and Rivals mode this is, essentially, the Rock Band 4 season pass. What's been revealed so bar hasn't been too...incredible, but it's a bit early to judge.

Still likely to be better than the Arkham Knight season pass, if only by price alone.

MrNelson

Banned
Are you sure? This is what the Rock Band Rivals page for the Xbox says:
"The Expansion Pack also sets you up to receive free ongoing content updates leading into 2017, including:
o Synchronous Online Multiplayer this Holiday
o Additional character customization options
o Other new features"
They said already that it will only be content (modes, rock shop items, etc.), stuff like bug fixes and QoL things (like interface updates, improved sorting, etc.) will be available to everyone.
Should be called Pop Band: playin' it safe

They tend to be the top selling items, so I can't blame them for doing it. That said, I'm down for at least half the pre-order songs.
I may be wrong, but I recall them stating RB4 was going to be a platform, and we wouldn't be making yearly purchases. Just the game, and any songs we want.
That's precisely what this is.

Rivals isn't standalone, you need RB4 to play it. They're just doing new hardware bundles to get people that may have held off on the game last year due to things like lack of content at launch, exports not being sorted, and being unhappy with the Mad Catz instruments.

If you don't want it, you can keep playing RB4 all the same, and still get the new dlc.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2015/3/5/8130935/rock-band-4-harmonix-ps4-xbox-one

There will be no more ongoing sequels, no yearly releases. The arms race is dead. Rock Band 4 will launch Rock Band as a platform, and Rigopulos told us to expect continual updates, some of which will be paid, and some of which will be free.

Qwark

Fyi, for any Road Crew members, Rivals will be free for you. Pretty cool, I'm not sure if I would've purchased it otherwise.

Xav

Harmonix and Rock Band have been good to me ever since the first game. With that said I have no interest in a "story" mode. I just download DLC tracks sometimes and enjoy quick play.

As for Rock Band 4. I'm cool with it. It's served it's purpose as the game that makes sure your DLC/instruments investments from last generation didn't go to waste.

Yeah Rock Band 4 is bit bare bones but getting 1000's of DLC dating back to 2007 across multiple systems to work on new hardware isn't easy. In fact, it's a pain in the ass and Sony is useless when it comes to PSN.

Locking online multi-player behind a paywall? Not cool Harmonix.

ViciousDS

Banned
I didn't see an announcement of a new drumset

Guess no buy from me since the only set in have is the RB4 one and the Xbox one versions of them are trash

The only important Rockband release in October is the Xbone ION drumkit adapter. Can't wait to finally play Drums on Rockband 4.

Also I think it is funny that people either bitch about not including songs or bitch about what songs they include. There are TONS of DLC songs availalbe. Just go buy the ones you want to play, it is that simple. You can basically shape the music library the way you want to shape it. Then use it in the new modes.

I didn't see an announcement of a new drumset

Guess no buy from me since the only set in have is the RB4 one and the Xbox one versions of them are trash

PDP is making a new one for the band bundle, they'll sell them separately I believe.

They have a couple of expert drummers testing the drums to get them right.

Where THE FUCK is my Metallica DLC then?

Lol. I'm sure Metallica asks for too much money, or they probably would only do a Metallica Rock Band only.

Ridley327

Where THE FUCK is my Metallica DLC then?

I imagine it's a combination of A) not being cheap to license, B) the band being pretty hands-on with their licensing and C) the band being pretty busy with what sounds like putting the finishing touches on their new material, which they would probably try to push at the forefront, like they did with Death Magnetic.

I really wish the game released on PC, the community would be putting in good work.

And now that they don't give a damn and don't use stems there's no reason to buy DLC.

While I'm pretty mad over the fact that online play is locked behind expansion, I can kinda understand where Harmonix is coming from buisness-wise. They needed something to entice people to buy the DLC especially since no new songs are going to be included in the DLC.

Honestly it seems like a lose-lose situation for Harmonix with this expansion. If they included the online play in base game and then released the DLC how it is w/o online play then the DLC would of flopped. If they do what they're doing now then people get mad and may start dropping the game.

Not the best situation all-around.

I haven't bought the game anyway so I might buy the new bundle when it comes out tho <_< >_>

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Why are people complaining about there being no songs? Adding 10 pre-order bonus songs makes it a happy medium for those who don't care about the expansion and appeases those who do want some new songs. Pre-ordering the expansion basically gives you $20 in dlc free.

I hope the expansion adds some more animations for band members :eek:

MrNelson

Banned
Guess I'm done. I hate the strat with a passion. The hottest of hot garbage.

Not buying used guitar hero 3 guitars either.

Have you even used the RB4 one? It's miles better than the old ones.

I even played through several strum heavy songs with both my GH5 guitar and the RB4 strat to compare and ended up with the same percentage each time (95%+).

Fumpster

So for those of us who didn't buy RB4, does this include all of the songs from that? Or do you have to buy both of them separate?

xzeldax3

Those 10 bonus songs are all right, so that definitely eases the $30 price tag. I am really interested in the new campaign mode and don't really care about online modes unless they are Score Duel or Tug of War.

ViciousDS

Banned
PDP is making a new one for the band bundle, they'll sell them separately I believe.

They have a couple of expert drummers testing the drums to get them right

Good to hear, glad their marketing department took my note seriously that I sent them. I told them to check all the issues and listed them out. They responded back to stating thanks for the input and we will look into comparing the new set with the old one to make sure all issues would be addressed in the design.

Bakkus

Is it possible to get all the songs from the previous games to the latest one? Remember Rock Band 1 had many classics.

U_Know_Me

Rock band and guitar hero should have came back as a free to play and just let people buy the songs they want. All the old peripherals should have been supported since there are so many out there already. All they would have had to worry about is putting out new songs every so often.

I want to support Harmonix by buying Rock Band 4 and Rivals, but I can't justify the purchase if I don't see a single of my favorite bands in the game.

MrNelson

Banned
Is it possible to get all the songs from the previous games to the latest one? Remember Rock Band 1 had many classics.
If you already paid for the exports for the previous games, then you'll be good to go, all you have to do is redeem them on the PS4 or Xbox store and download them.

If you didn't redeem the exports already, then you're SOL. The only ones that can still be obtained currently are Rock Band 3 and the track pack discs (Vol 2, AC/DC, Metal, Country 1 and 2, and Classic Rock).

Only if you've already exported it before. The ability to buy the export now has expired.

Rock band and guitar hero should have came back as a free to play and just let people buy the songs they want. All the old peripherals should have been supported since there are so many out there already. All they would have had to worry about is putting out new songs every so often.

This basically already happened except for the ftp. You can use your old instruments and download whatever you want.

AdamMPSP

Maybe I'm missing it, but I can't find a price for the expansion by itself? Also no way to pre-order just the expansion?

MrNelson

Banned
Maybe I'm missing it, but I can't find a price for the expansion by itself? Also no way to pre-order just the expansion?

The expansion alone is $30.

It's only available standalone digitally.
So in order to get the Amazon songs you have to buy another bundle?! Wtf?!

Oh and the Prime Discount doesn't work? Guess I'm passing then...
Just like every other set of pre-order songs, they will be available as dlc a few weeks after release.

Also it should be eligible for GCU at Best Buy, that's how I got the band bundle for $200 instead of $250 at release last year.

MooMilk2929

I never heard of full band kit. Does that mean you get all the dlc songs for one price? Pretty expensive but I'm guessing you'd save money in the long run.

j-wood

In the thing I ready the other day, Harmonix said online multiplayer comes to the base game in a free patch in December. So you don't have to buy the expansion.

Top Bottom