• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harpooned: Japanese Cetacean Research Simulator

monoRAIL

Banned
Harpooned was on Attack of the Show but I didn't see it, being in Australia and all that. Did anybody Tivo it? I think it gets repeated on Saturdays so if someone could record it and let me know I'd be very grateful!

Update - Harpooned is released

harpooned_logo_small.jpg

Download the game at the website: http://harpooned.org

Trailer on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR4KN6EfX6M

Screenshots: (click for larger versions)

__________ Original post below ___________

Work in progress video of my latest game - Harpooned
I'm developing this with Torque Game Builder. I hope to get it finished in the next couple of weeks to coincide with the Japanese fleet's latest whaling season.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G4WHqNtS2O4

harpooned01.jpg

harpooned02.jpg

Crushed

Fry Daddy
This just gave me an idea for an incredible game.

Whaling, early 19th century style. You spend the day cruising to the various whaling grounds of the Pacific, searching for signs of whales or their food.

Then, once you find the whale, you have an epic battle in which you paddle out in a boat and harpoon and kill it in an SotC-like fight between man and beast.

Crushed said:
Then, once you find the whale, you have an epic battle in which you paddle out in a boat and harpoon and kill it in an SotC-like fight between man and beast.
Basically the lake boss fight in Resident Evil 4?

jgkspsx

monoRAIL said:
Work in progress video of my latest game - Harpooned
I'm developing this with Torque Game Builder. I hope to get it finished in the next couple of weeks to coincide with the Japanese fleet's latest whaling season.
Whether it plays like crap or not, you rock.

"Super scientific!" :lol

besada

Banned
Yay for you! The game looks good and makes fun of Japan's ridiculous whaling policies.

Is there eventually a depth charge that kills every whale on the screen. For research?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Sho Nuff said:
Wahahhaha! I shouldn't be laughing but I am. I love the pools of blood in the water.

Hey, not our fault that their tender spines contain such healthy blood-filled arteries.
800px-Hvalba_beach_whaling%2C_Faroe_Islands.jpg

NOM NOM NOM

monoRAIL

Banned
PolyGone said:
are there greenpeace boats to avoid?

Yes, I'm also thinking of including Sea Shepherd and the Australian navy boats.

Besada - no depth charges I'm afraid. This is supposed to be a highly accurate representation of legitimate scientific research techniques!

pubba

Very, very cool. Did you do all of this yourself? The graphics and music too? If so - very impressive.

Just played a few rounds. Love the 'Results' of the research being cans of pet food and whale burgers :lol

monoRAIL

Banned
pubba said:
Very, very cool. Did you do all of this yourself? The graphics and music too? If so - very impressive.

I did the art and programming and some of the sound effects. Kevin Ross did the music and Alex Parker did some additional sound effects. The whole game took around 5 weeks to make, mostly working in the evenings and weekends.

You can get stuff done pretty quickly with Torque Game Builder, after you get the hang of it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Kudos on making a game, it does look fun to play.

But maybe I'm too sensitive regarding animals. I can't find it funny or feel like playing such a concept. Crushed's blood pic actually made me a little sad and I can't even fathom clicking the link he posted.

Edit: I got the joke/sarcasm, I just don't find it funny.

M3d10n

"Our research has determined whales are afraid of our boats. We must kill more whales to figure out the cause behind this."

Awesome game. Made me read more about the issue.

kswiston

Some people need better satire detectors. Good job at highlighting just how ridiculous the whole "whaling for scientific research" stance is.

I've always wanted to take an arcade "Whac-A-Mole" game and retrofit it into "Club-A-Seal".

I'd replace the moles with white, adorable baby seals that would squeal pitifully when you hit them and the ground with ice and holes. The attract mode would play upbeat music and every so often an annoying guy would say "Hey! Let's go Clubbin'!" At the end of the game, it would flash you score and then hidden red LCDs would turn on over the whole facade that said "Fur is Murder! Game Over"

I think it would be a big hit.

monoRAIL

Banned
Alaluef said:
But maybe I'm too sensitive regarding animals. I can't find it funny or feel like playing such a concept.

I know what you mean, the game is disgusting and bloody and some people can't stomach that. But it's only disgusting because real whaling is disgusting. If you can't stand to play this game, then I hope you won't stand for real whaling either. Are you going to do something about it or are you going to let whalers continue with their disgusting behavior?

Wii - that happens sometimes if you have a joystick connected. Just use the joystick instead of the keyboard.

M3d10n - getting people to notice whaling in the news and read a bit about it was one of the goals of the game. I'm glad it had an effect on you!

Thanks everyone for the comments. Please forward the game on to your friends and post about it on forums. It's creative commons licensed so you can copy it and distribute it if you like.

ThirdEye

monoRAIL said:
Yes, I'm also thinking of including Sea Shepherd and the Australian navy boats.

Besada - no depth charges I'm afraid. This is supposed to be a highly accurate representation of legitimate scientific research techniques!
Need to add pet food of Green Peace meat, too.

KTallguy

Banned
monoRAIL said:
I know what you mean, the game is disgusting and bloody and some people can't stomach that. But it's only disgusting because real whaling is disgusting. If you can't stand to play this game, then I hope you won't stand for real whaling either. Are you going to do something about it or are you going to let whalers continue with their disgusting behavior?

Have you ever eaten a cow? Or a fish? They bleed too, you know?

If we limited ourselves to eating only things that didn't feel pain, we would only be eating byproducts of scientific research, which is the very thing that these whales support! :lol

But seriously, this whale controversy baffles the hell out of me.

Edit: The game is quite well made though!

Alts

KTallguy said:
Have you ever eaten a cow? Or a fish? They bleed too, you know?

If we limited ourselves to eating only things that didn't feel pain, we would only be eating byproducts of scientific research, which is the very thing that these whales support! :lol

But seriously, this whale controversy baffles the hell out of me.

Edit: The game is quite well made though!

Actually, a good number of animals lack the necessary nervous system developments to feel what we call 'pain.'

Pressure and heat are a different story, though.

edit: Also, chances are monorail is a vegetarian.

Top Bottom