• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harrison Ford accidentally pilots over plane with 110 passengers, FAA to investigate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hesemonni

Banned
These audio clips remind me that I could never be a pilot since I can't make out shit they're saying right there.

bill0527

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/03/entertainment/harrison-ford-faa-investigation/

Was following some google links and apparently he's been cleared of the incident. Kind of mind blowing really. Everyone is human and makes mistakes but damn when your mistakes seriously endanger the lives of over 100 people...wonder how big of a check he had to cut for this.

I'd be scared shitless to be in the vicinity when he's out flying. He crashed a plane on a golf course and apparently he's also crashed a helicopter and also clipped a runway.

kiguel182

Being rich and famous allows you to get away with a lot of shit. After all his incidents he shouldn't be allowed to have a license anymore.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Was following some google links and apparently he's been cleared of the incident. Kind of mind blowing really. Everyone is human and makes mistakes but damn when your mistakes seriously endanger the lives of over 100 people...wonder how big of a check he had to cut for this.

I'd be scared shitless to be in the vicinity when he's out flying. He crashed a plane on a golf course and apparently he's also crashed a helicopter and also clipped a runway.
Wasn't the golf course one a forced landing due to plane malfunction? I think it wasn't his fault, and that he avoided a bigger disaster by staying clear of residential areas.

Jacce

Banned

None of his previous incidents prior to this were his fault. He actually was praised for what he did about the gold plane crash, he did all he could to avoid landing it in an area with a lot of people.

Wasn't the golf course one a forced landing due to plane malfunction? I think it wasn't his fault, and that he avoided a bigger disaster by staying clear of residential areas.

Yep, exactly.

KHarvey16

how did he make the mistake?

by being careless

Reckless is not the same as making a mistake. He wasn't doing anything wrong other than mistaking the taxiway for the runway. He was on the radio like he should have been, he wasn't ignoring anyone or intentionally breaking any kind of rule.

I'd say he was grossly negligent. He came dangerously close to a fuelled airliner full of passengers on that taxiway.

In an industry that has investigations into near misses based upon hundreds of meters to a mile of distance, you can't dismiss this as a mistake.

Calling it a mistake isn't dismissing it. They have or will look into the circumstances and determine what should be done. This airport has a history of confusing pilots like this so it's not without precedent.

highrider

Banned
I'm not a pilot but I'm guessing like a vintage car they require more mental and physical dexterity to operate. Harrison stop.

bill0527

None of his previous incidents prior to this were his fault. He actually was praised for what he did about the gold plane crash, he did all he could to avoid landing it in an area with a lot of people.

Yep, exactly.

But the fact he keeps having these incidents, his fault or not, means he has been extremely lucky to have not killed himself or anyone else. Eventually that luck is going to run out. If my 74 year old grandfather kept having incidents in his car, I think it would be time to have a family intervention and teach him how to uber.

The Hermit

PF6NFv8.gif

Oh shit

People used to say the same thing about my ex.

#dead
solo

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Being rich and famous allows you to get away with a lot of shit. After all his incidents he shouldn't be allowed to have a license anymore.
It's a weird double-edged sword. He gets to keep his license, but the whole world knows he's a terrible pilot.

Jacce

Banned
But the fact he keeps having these incidents, his fault or not, means he has been extremely lucky to have not killed himself or anyone else. Eventually that luck is going to run out. If my 74 year old grandfather kept having incidents in his car, I think it would be time to have a family intervention and teach him how to uber.

His planes stalling out has nothing to do with him or his age. Literally every other time but this one could have happen to a 30 year old just as much. It was Ford's skills as pilot that saved people when his plane gave out.

The various incidents before this are not comparable to an old man driver. They had nothing do with his ability nor age.

D i Z

They haven't revoked his license yet? Never mind his track record of incidents, dude gets injured on the sets of fake aircraft.

FyreWulff

They haven't revoked his license yet? Never mind his track record of incidents, dude gets injured on the sets of fake aircraft.

This the first one that's actually his fault. The other ones were all various mechanical failures, and he puts in lots of flight hours.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
This actually isn't that surprising, and not because of Ford's celebrity status. For several years, the FAA has taken a more "kinder and gentler" approach to pilot discipline. This is in an effort to get pilots to self report through ASRP, which I would be surprised if Ford didn't do. ASRP is a program joint program between NASA and the FAA to encourage pilots to self report incidents so that incidents can be better tracked.

Also, so long as he was cooperative with the investigation and had a good record (that accident he had a while back was a mechanical failure, so it wouldn't really count against him), him not facing stiff penalties for the incident make sense.

Here's the procedure for self reporting with the FAA (well, reporting with NASA technically)

The FAA considers the filing of a report with NASA concerning an incident or occurrence involving a violation of 49 U.S.C. subtitle VII or the 14 CFR to be indicative of a constructive attitude. Such an attitude will tend to prevent future violations. Accordingly, although a finding of violation may be made, neither a civil penalty nor certificate suspension will be imposed if:

The violation was inadvertent and not deliberate;
The violation did not involve a criminal offense, accident, or action under 49 U.S.C. § 44709, which discloses a lack of qualification or competency, which is wholly excluded from this policy;
The person has not been found in any prior FAA enforcement action to have committed a violation of 49 U.S.C. subtitle VII, or any regulation promulgated there for a period of 5 years prior to the date of occurrence; and
The person proves that, within 10 days after the violation, or date when the person became aware or should have been aware of the violation, he or she completed and delivered or mailed a written report of the incident or occurrence to NASA.

NOTE: Paragraph 9 does not apply to air traffic controllers, who are covered under the provisions of the Air Traffic Safety Action Program (ATSAP), as described in the ATSAP Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).

https://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/overview/immunity.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom