• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harrison Ford accidentally pilots over plane with 110 passengers, FAA to investigate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today the FAA released the ATC audio of the incident.

https://www.faa.gov/data_research/accident_incident/2017-02-13/

Here is an excellent visualization of what happened with the audio synchronized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzy9jCFk0Iw

Damn that video is mindblowing. He comes within a hundred feet of that boeing.

KOlnnn.gif

Mimosa97

Today the FAA released the ATC audio of the incident.

https://www.faa.gov/data_research/accident_incident/2017-02-13/

Here is an excellent visualization of what happened with the audio synchronized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzy9jCFk0Iw

Please tell me the audio was sped off. I can't understand shit. Thank god for the subtitles.

How do pilots/air controllers manage to understand each other with all the different nationalities and accents and the shitty audio transmissions lol

MultiCore

Please tell me the audio was sped off. I can't understand shit. Thank god for the subtitles.

How do pilots/air controllers manage to understand each other with all the different nationalities and accents and the shitty audio transmissions lol
It sounds like normal air radio traffic. You get used to hearing it.

There's a lot of specific phrases you learn to expect, it helps out with understanding a lot.

I do it for work.

Mimosa97

It sounds like normal air radio traffic. You get used to hearing it.

There's a lot of specific phrases you learn to expect, it helps out with understanding a lot.

I do it for work.

They talk super fast though. Why take the risk of a misunderstanding with such sensitive information ? I know the controllers have to manage a lof of planes at the same time but still ...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
He's done some good as a pilot but yeah, bit of a fuck up there.
This must be the ultimate embarrassment for someone who prides themselves on being a competent pilot. A regular citizen might not have gotten any of the coverage he has, one of the ways being famous can be a real bitch I guess.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
This must be the ultimate embarrassment for someone who prides themselves on being a competent pilot. A regular citizen might not have gotten any of the coverage he has, one of the ways being famous can be a real bitch I guess.
You could hear it in his voice. No pilot wants to be given a phone number to call.

Loxley

Jesus, I misread the title and thought he now almost accidentally flew a plane with 110 passengers on board XD

you say this like he doesn't have a history of fuckups

Jezbollah

He wasn't reckless, he made a mistake. He'll lose his license for awhile or face some kind of punishment. What he did is certainly not criminal.

I'd say he was grossly negligent. He came dangerously close to a fuelled airliner full of passengers on that taxiway.

In an industry that has investigations into near misses based upon hundreds of meters to a mile of distance, you can't dismiss this as a mistake.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Please don't kink shame me but I'd pay good money to have Harrison Ford crash his plane into me.

Septimius

I mean, shit happens. I'm guessing it was a genuine mistake to mistake taxiway charlie for the runway. However, what seems odd to me is that you don't instinctively abort the landing when there's a plane on what you assume is the runway, especially when you've clearly registered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom