• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harrison Ford accidentally pilots over plane with 110 passengers, FAA to investigate

Status
Not open for further replies.
428560.gif

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
For reference, this is what the airport approach looks like:

john-wayne-airport-santa-ana-california.jpg

Ford was cleared to land on runway 20L (19L in this old picture).

I'm guessing the re-surfaced 20R through him off as the shorter private runway is not super distinctive from the taxiways.

That said, I'm not really sure how you could mistake ANY of those taxiways as a runway. He's lucky there was only a single plane taxing that he came over the top of. Then again, if there was a line of planes waiting for take-off he probably wouldn't have attempted to land on the taxiway.

I'm gonna guess, he landed on the one left of 20L?

For reference, this is what the airport approach looks like:

john-wayne-airport-santa-ana-california.jpg

Ford was cleared to land on runway 20L (19L in this old picture).

Kinda easy to mistake the taxiway for the runway there.

I know he loves flying, but he needs to give it up, before he gets himself or someone else killed. I'm surprised the studios haven't had a raging fit about it.

Nevasleep

This isn't the first time this has happened, hell sometimes planes even land at the wrong airport.
Although if he could see the other plane, why didn't he go-around.

Kyuur

Was anyone really in danger other than Ford himself? I can't imagine a plane of that size putting even a scratch on an airliner.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Didn't he crash one recently?

Yeah but that was determined to be mechanical failure and the investigation indicated he did everything right to minimize damage and risk. It won't be factored in to the investigation of this incident.

Kyuur

These are mid-air collisions though, no? My interpretation here was that the airliner was essentially parked or maybe rolling along.

Mr.Shrugglesツ;230320448 said:
Almost all planes are basically just flying reynolds wrap with turbines.

Lmao, really? I guess appearances can be deceiving. I suppose with the intense focus on simply not having aircraft collide with each other and the need for them to well, fly, mitigation of collision damage is not a huge priority.

Duplolas

Banned
Taking away his license is stupid. How many of you people actually click and read the whole article?

Ford is revered as an excellent pilot in aviation circles. He has been inducted by the Kiddie Hawk Air Academy as a Living Legend of Aviation.

A witness to Ford's 2015 Santa Monica crash told NBC News that Ford "saved several lives" by rerouting his crash landing to the Penmar Golf Course to avoid a tract of suburban homes.

C'mon people...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom