• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Potter Film Collection UHD HDR Blu-Ray out later this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigolo

http://www.avsforum.com/harry-potter-film-collection-coming-ultra-hd-blu-ray-2017/

Burbank, CA, – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment announced today that all eight films in the popular and acclaimed Harry Potter series will be released on Ultra HD Blu-ray in 2017.

The last four films in the series will be released on March 28, 2017 and will include Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire will be available later in 2017.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows- Part 2 will be available on March 28 on Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack for $44.95 SRP each, and feature an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc with the feature film in 4K with HDR, a Blu-ray disc with the feature film and special features in HD, and a Digital HD* version of the feature film. Fans can also own the Harry Potter films in 4K Ultra HD via purchase from select digital retailers.

The Harry Potter films on Ultra HD Blu-ray will contain the same special features that were included on each of the film's previous Blu-ray releases.

empyrean

Is it wrong that I actually want them to get a "remaster", some of the special effects are truly awful particularly in the first few films.

Stitch

Gold Member
The Troll CGI will look amazing in 4K lol

just bought the whole set on BD so whatever. 4K my ass.

Bane

I want to say it's weird they're not putting them out all at once but with a $45 msrp I guess they figure most won't buy them all at once anyway.

Gravidee

So will the film's regular blu rays that come in the pack also use an updated master of the movie or will they just reuse the old disc for those?

styl3s

I literally just paid $100 for the blu-ray steelbook collection now this? Son of a bitch.

$45 is just MSRP it means nothing but i will wait till it's in a collection form or on sale. I got every Hunger Games on UHD for $12 not long after they came out and those MSRP'd for $30.

DOWN

Banned
Have you guys never checked the MSRP of movies on Amazon? Many regular Blu-Rays are $30-40 MSRP and have been for years, but retailers sell them for less. Years of inflation and a quality upgrade at $45 MSRP ain't that weird

SpaceWolf

Banned
Philosphers Stone - Great
Chamber of Secrets - Great.
Prisoner of Azkaban - Perfect.
Goblet of Fire - Good.
Order of the Pheonix - Eh.
Half Blood Prince - Eh...
Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - Good.
Deathly Hallows: Part 2 - Good.

They are releasing the last 4 films first!?
They probably have to do more work on the older films to upscale them.

I just bought those new Blu-ray versions of the first five to complete my collection (I had the last three films on Blu already), but Jesus $45? I'm good. Even the usual markdown will only bring them to like $30 which is excessive for a movie.

ascii42

I think it's time to move on from physical media for movies.

UHD Blu-ray quality video and audio can't reasonably be streamed at this point, at least not by most people. Until physical media no longer can provide a better experience than streaming, it will have a place for some people.

I wish Freeform would suck it up and let Warner release the cut content editions.

So stupid. Until then I don't see myself buying these films in any format.

robotrock

Banned
That price checks out. UHD is new so they're still pretty overpriced, but expect amazon to have them up for $30 a piece.

Timeless

Most UHD catalog titles don't bother re-rendering effects, right? The troll in HP1 won't even be rendered at 4K, let alone have an updated model or effects.

up4WvuNe0xKQU.gif

-shadow-

€45 a pop? I can get the deluxe edition with all films and bonus discs for less than double that on normal blu-ray...

Lagamorph

I bought the regular Blu-ray collection for like £20 a year ago.
$45 per film? Sod off for that. That's the most I'd pay for all 8.

Guy.brush

The post-production pipeline for at least the first 2-3 movies most certainly was 1080p or 2k at a maximum. LoTR 1 had most of the CG done in 1K back in 2001.

Nobody is going to see the $45 price tag. This is pretty normal. Movies don't sell for MSRP usually.

Correct. The highest (going by Amazon) I'm seeing for most are $29.99, that's where the cap for most of them are. There are movies listed for $40+ like Assassin's Creed and Resident Evil: The Final Chapter but those aren't likely finalized prices as they're not out yet.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
This is what I get for being a Potter bitch. Gotta pay up and upgrade once again. Can't wait for Star Wars UHD -_-

Don't upgrade. Most modern movies that are on UHD Blu-Ray weren't shot in 4K, had SFX done in 2K or had 2K digital intermediates. In other words: the 4K is fake when 4K (or higher) wasn't part of the plan every step of the way from shooting the movie to the finished product. Even HDR can be added in post processing. See http://realorfake4k.com/faq/ for all the details.

There are relatively few 4K HDR movies that are the real thing. That goes for Netflix too. A number of Netflix shows have received the HDR post-processing treatment recently. IMO They look so bad that I prefer the non HDR version.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
ITT: people who have never seen a home video press release before.

The post-production pipeline for at least the first 2-3 movies most certainly was 1080p or 2k at a maximum. LoTR 1 had most of the CG done in 1K back in 2001.

Sorry, but there's no way the LotR effects were done at 540p.
Unless you don't know that 2K and 1080p are almost the same thing?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I stopped after Order of Phoenix. Seems I didn't much. Loved the book.

The other movies are fine. They fucked up the final confrontation badly, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom