• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anyone besides your spouse requested to take out a life insurance policy on you?

Stouffers

Banned
I had this happen today. While I think his heart is in the right place, I can’t help but feel insulted and uncomfortable.

My answer is “no,” but relaying that too him is going to be awkward.

How does someone who is not dependent on you have their heart in the right place when they want to get money off your death?

Unless this is like a longterm partner you may as well be married to, it sounds like the first step in a murder plan.

Last edited:

Stouffers

Banned
I already have 10x my salary in term life insurance. My In-Laws are convinced I’m going to die before the kids are out of the house and my FiL floated the idea to my wife earlier today. He would take out the policy and she would be the beneficiary. My weight is no bueno, have high cholesterol/BP and I’ve recently been diagnosed with a brain aneurism.

I told her to tell him I’d be ok with HIM taking out one on himself with her as the sole beneficiary. She thinks it’d be rude to suggest that.

Nester99

My company takes life insurance out on key partners. Especially if they took a loan from the company to buy in.

With the medical issues you mentioned it does not seem super crazy if they think 10x your salary is insufficient.

Could your family survive with the same standard of living with 10 times your salary? It’s hard to tell if that’s $250k or $1mm. How does it relate to your debt? Does your wife work? Are your kids young or close to being on their own?

he would have to prove he has an “insurance interest” in your death which might be possible but seems like a stretch as he is not a dependent or blood.

honestly sounds like he just wants you to have more insurance to protect his daughter. I don’t think that’s terrible thinking.

Could you increase your current limits and have him pay for it?

Time for real talk:

1) does he like you? What are the odds he then wants to take you fishing with no life jackets and lots of beer?

2) if your family is this concerned about your health..what are you doing to be healthy? Move more eat better stuff?

I had my first child this summer @40. Change how I thought about my own mortality and longevity. I made a decision to try and not be dead by 60. I was very sedentary and 280lbs. I am down 50lbs now and working out 2-3 times a week. No way old me could keepup with kids otherwise.

number two is going to be here this summer so will be increasing my limit shortly.

before kids, with both is working, i just wanted all our debts paid for my wife as she was still working. My limit was 120% of my mortgage. With kids I need to clear debt and replace my income until they are no longer dependent while assuming my wife is not working.

Last edited:

BigBooper

No, although I don't think I would have a problem with it except I've heard it could negatively affect your own efforts to get life insurance.

Nester99

My existing policy is well north of 1M. I didn’t think about him having an “insurance interest.”

does he know you have that? Does he know the limit? Seems pretty reasonable limit if you don’t have a ton of debt. I would not tell him “no” straight out but rather ask why does he not think it’s an adequate limit. If not what does he think is adequate?
Since your being so forthcoming, send him back some awkwardness and ask him if his wife should be expecting an inheritance when he passes ;)

Dont be offended, he is just looking for peace of mind for his daughter and grand kids as he contemplates his own mortality

Corrik

How much would it cost for an insurance policy on someone with a brain aneurysm? You could in theory die in any second, no offense. With that diagnosis the policy would probably be astronomical.

Stouffers

Banned
How much would it cost for an insurance policy on someone with a brain aneurysm? You could in theory die in any second, no offense. With that diagnosis the policy would probably be astronomical.
It’s a small one and we could all die at any moment. They’re more common than you think. ;)

Corrik

It’s a small one and we could all die at any moment. They’re more common than you think. ;)
Usually brain aneurysms are removed when found and if they can't be they warn you any bump could end your life, that you could live 1 more second or 10 more years.

Guy at work literally got refused to return to work because he got diagnosed with a brain aneurysm. They said it was unsafe.

Stouffers

Banned
Usually brain aneurysms are removed when found and if they can't be they warn you any bump could end your life, that you could live 1 more second or 10 more years.

Guy at work literally got refused to return to work because he got diagnosed with a brain aneurysm. They said it was unsafe.
That’s just not true. They only recommend surgery if the risk of rupture is greater than the risk from surgery. Most aneurisms are never detected and will never burst in a persons lifetime. Mine in less than 2mm.
My neurosurgeon recommends changing nothing (beyond losing weight). He says there’s no reason to lose sleep over it. He knows I spend a lot of time driving and doesn’t seem concerned.

Corrik

That’s just not true. They only recommend surgery if the risk of rupture is greater than the risk from surgery. Most aneurisms are never detected and will never burst in a persons lifetime. Mine in less than 2mm.
My neurosurgeon recommends changing nothing (beyond losing weight). He says there’s no reason to lose sleep over it. He knows I spend a lot of time driving and doesn’t seem concerned.
Idk. That guys aneurysms are both large and on top of one another that they cant operate on it without potentially killing him though

Stouffers

Banned
Idk. That guys aneurysms are both large and on top of one another that they cant operate on it without potentially killing him though
Mines a small one in the cavernous carotid artery. If it bursts, it can be fatal, but less so than a standard berry aneurism at the base. Or so I’m told. I have three small kids so I try not to think about it.

Cato

Banned
Cool. You can take out life insurances on people outside your immediate family?

... Me rushing down to the life insurance company office to get a life insurance policy on Amberlynn Reid.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
giphy.gif

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Take one out. You never know and IDK if you are worried about funeral expenses OPT for cremation.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Why don’t you just simply, stop eating food more than once a day?

One meal, then water. Every day of your life

How overweight are you?

Top Bottom