• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the American entertainment industry become too centralized in Hollywood?

Jubenhimer

When it comes to making mainstream American entertainment, there's one place that all the action takes place at, California, specifically places at or near Hollywood. For years, most TV and Film studios were made in or around Hollywood, and it used to be that most of the best talent was curated there. But over the years, with the controversy, hypocrisy, and decline in quality surrounding Hollywood entertainment, it really exposed a massive oversight. Why haven't other parts of America grown in the same way? Back in the day, it made sense to have most production done by studios in Hollywood, as the climate and infrastructure were ideal for film making. But these days, when the barrier to entry for making content is lower than ever thanks to the internet, having all of our mainstream entertainment centralized in a place like Hollywood/California is looking more and more outdated.

We can talk about Hollywood's moral lecturing, or hypocrisy, or political activism all we want. But I feel like the cause of those issues, is because for years California/Hollywood has seemed to operate in a large bubble. Because the vast majority of American made entertainment is made in one place, there are no real outside voices to provide a different perspective. Hollywood has in essence, built an echo-chamber, where everyone says the same thing, makes the same stuff, agrees with the same points, and fights for the same causes. And those who don't do any of that, are promptly fed to the cancel culture wolves.

This has also caused the quality of their work to decline sharply over the years. Because Hollywood has become too focused on identity politics and moral lecturing, while trying to cozy up to communist China when they think nobody is looking, most Hollywood Movies these days end up being bland, safe, and committee designed to death.

If the entertainment industry wants to excite American people again, then it should be branching outside of Hollywood, we're at a point now where there is no reason that some small start up studio in Ohio can't make something as well written or engaging as a big $200 million Hollywood epic. Having more voices from more places in the country can potentially, breathe some new life in the industry, and perhaps show Hollywood/California that they are not the final arbiters of storytelling. People are tired of Hollywood monopolizing the entertainment industry, and lecturing us about climate change or toxic masculinity. We know these vapid celebrities and studio executives don't believe half the bullshit they spout, so why are they the only people making our movies and tv shows?

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yes, but this isn't unique to Hollywood. When a mode of communication requires technology and education, it will naturally slip into the hands of a narrow group of people. We see a lot of indie stuff but a lot of them are only doing it to get their "Big Break" i.e. putting in work simply to be noticed by Hollywood so they can join Hollywood, too. Or they'll put their stuff on YouTube and accept the peanuts from advertisers and Patreon for their efforts.

I think we need less media entertainment. We're past the point of saturation.

Jubenhimer

I think we need less media entertainment. We're past the point of saturation.
Not sure I agree with this. I think what we need is a better way to market the independently made stuff. There's a lot of great indie talent out there, but most of it is usually never given the opportunity to break into the mainstream. YouTube in particular has become a shell of its former self because the talent that it was once built on, has been pushed aside in favor of making it yet another marketing vehicle for celebrities and the mainstream media. As a result, a lot of the best stuff on YouTube is buried by YouTube's algorithms.

If the industry can find a way to cultivate the talent outside the system, without assimilating them into the system, then I feel like it'll benefit everyone.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Not sure I agree with this. I think what we need is a better way to market the independently made stuff. There's a lot of great indie talent out there, but most of it is usually never given the opportunity to break into the mainstream. YouTube in particular has become a shell of its former self because the talent that it was once built on, has been pushed aside in favor of making it yet another marketing vehicle for celebrities and the mainstream media. As a result, a lot of the best stuff on YouTube is buried by YouTube's algorithms.

If the industry can find a way to cultivate the talent outside the system, without assimilating them into the system, then I feel like it'll benefit everyone.
I'd love for this to happen. However, there needs to be a shakeup for how people discover things on the internet. The industry does not want to cultivate talent outside the system without assimilating them into the system.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i live in GA and know many people who have worked on TV shows and movies. Atlanta is kind of Hollywood of the South. lots of Marvel films are shot here. Black Panther has the art gallery down the street from me, and you can see the lawn where i played a show with a band once. the mall season of Stranger Things was shot at the mall i used to go to as a kid. one of my friends did locations work for Vampire Diaries, another did costumes for The Walking Dead. i know people who have worked for Adult Swim, mostly doing web stuff, but some animation as well. there is a lot of media industry work here, because it is far cheaper than shooting in Hollywood. Atlanta's own Ted Turner founded CNN, which is why they are based out of here too, rather than the coasts.

i do agree though that the coasts have a monopoly on media, it seems. NYC and LA both kind of dominate. the country is so vast and different with so much to offer from so many states, so it sucks to have things always be about how amazing these cities are.

for sure. the internet and modern technology allows pretty much anyone to make a movie. the means of production have been seized by anyone owning an iphone and a copy of Adobe Premiere.

the hard part yeah it having people see it. but i think if someone were to make an independent movie and release it free online and it was really good, word would get around.

maybe the theaters being in dire straights can step in, and offer rentals to independent filmmakers. sadly, that probably won't happen, as licensing agreements and contracts have those seats tied up, empty or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom