• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has this always been here or is it new? Facebook Like/Share under Post Reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
We're still tweaking things, try not to jump to conclusions which gaffers seem to always do. Increased the gap, and the button will use the dark style if using the dark gaf theme.

Too late Timan. GAF is dead.
RIP

It's just a prank, bro!

Megasoum

Banned
Really looks terrible on the dark theme. It's the most colorful thing on the page so the eyes are automatically attracted to it. Kinda sleezy thing to do.

Kozak

Banned
Its about time.

Now I can share my superior interweb habits with my friends.

NeoGAF about to get a huge influx of members fam.

Its gonna be litt
878b50b77a8baf0d6c51f028ebf64de6.png

Where are our "likes" going to? A NeoGAF facebook that shares the best topics from Gaming and OT would be dope haha.

Timan

Developer
Okay, fair enough, I will block it on my side then. But "every other popular site does it" is weak logic, in my opinion

Right, the "me too" excuse is never correct either, but I think if the vast majority can "deal with it" there, its not the end of the world for it being where it is. Could have easily thrown it at the top of the page, and the bottom, and after first post, and the header etc. I think its placement at the bottom of the page, is out of the way from 99.999% of the users here.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I eagerly await the first threads about someone accidentally 'liking' some crazy or inappropriate thread and sharing it with family and friends.

Like & Share buttons one day, next day it's now a dating site named GAFR

Actually yo Timan while you're ducking around in there reintegrate smilies and animated avatars plz

Evilore don't have to know

Ekdrm2d1

Gross.

The evolution of social media and forums though. Everything is tied to Facebook and Twitter.

Edit: Can we revamp the forum software at least? Very, very old.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Are you guys playing with the manifest file for android chrome? I saw the header flash blue for a sec. It'd be neat if you got it set up so pinning GAF to my homescreen opened it as its own app in the switcher, splash screen and all.

Tho then the address bar would be hidden and I couldn't copy thread urls, so maybe not.

CTLance

May I request that the staff look at sharriff or the more traditional two-click solutions (e.g. 1, 2)?

I know I'm asking a lot and complicating things, but I'd really like to not be tracked by Facebook of all sites, on neogaf of all sites. I know there's ways around that crap, but I do lurk on gaf on like three dozen machines, some of which I have no admin rights on, others don't have the necessary software in the first place.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
looking forward to one of you guys sharing something and then it pops up on my news feed. I want to see friends on here.

daveo42

Banned
I was about to ask the very same thing. Glad I'm not crazy or just never saw it before at the bottom of the page.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ah, so it has begun now.

I await the train of social media icons underneath each post that awaits us in 2020.

Jobbs

Banned
Did anyone ask for this feature? I'm just curious

I don't particularly care. I find it a little distracting but it's not the end of the world

From a design perspective I'd suggest moving it further away from the reply button.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Oh yeah! I noticed it, but didn't think much of it.

There have been times I've wanted to share a particular thread I was reading on GAF, but had to go about it the annoying way, such as copy/pasting the thread link to my timeline and sharing it that way. This way is much more straight forward.

And to people that don't use social media, you can just keep ignoring it like always. It seems like a pretty harmless, yet useful to those who want it, feature.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Are you guys playing with the manifest file for android chrome? I saw the header flash blue for a sec. It'd be neat if you got it set up so pinning GAF to my homescreen opened it as its own app in the switcher, splash screen and all.

Tho then the address bar would be hidden and I couldn't copy thread urls, so maybe not.

you already figured out why that's a bad idea but for anyone who still wants this they should read the post "Regressive Web Apps" by Jeremy Keith

Ozium

Code:
Now Facebook plans to collect information about all Internet users, through “like” buttons and other pieces of code 
present on Web pages across the Internet.

“Our buttons and plugins send over basic information about users’ browsing sessions. 
For non-Facebook members, previously we didn’t use it,” Andrew Bosworth, vice president of Facebook’s ads and 
business platform, told the Journal. “Now we’ll use it to better understand how to target those people.”

disgusting

daveo42

Banned
With this new feature, I feel like all OPs should now include some form of the Like Comment Subscribe line, just so we can know the good threads from the bad.

And to people that don't use social media, you can just keep ignoring it like always. It seems like a pretty harmless, yet useful to those who want it, feature.

I notice it as a thread creator who doesn't want to have his threads so easily made visible on Facebook of all places. Perhaps this might even bring some light into other ways that threads are publicized outside of gaf through human and non human ways, which is something i haven't thought of until this thread. And if it comes to be that people will actively use this, i'm sure i'll think two, even three times before considering making a thread. Which will be to the liking of some i imagine, but not to mine.

Timan

Developer
I notice it as a thread creator who doesn't want to have his threads so easily made visible on Facebook of all places. Perhaps this might even bring some light into other ways that threads are publicized outside of gaf through human and non human ways, which is something i haven't thought of until this thread. And if it comes to be that people will actively use this, i'm sure i'll think two, even three times before considering making a thread. Which will be to the liking of some i imagine, but not to mine.

But what was stopping someone from sharing your post manually on twitter or facebook before?

Ekdrm2d1

Is anyone here actually happy about this?

Embed features please. Imagine if we could embed Youtube, Twitter, etc.

Emojis? Even Facebook has them..

Like/Dislike buttons? Even Facebook has them..

Being old school is nice I guess. We don't have to worry about the new technology which *most* of the other forums have. More of a relaxed setting. Basic and to the point.

Dinjooh

Also if you're not a fan of it, nothing stopping you from installing extensions to block it.

Its placement will prob be tweaked a bit more, don't want to mislead someone to click that vs new reply/new thread.

Good, just wanted to make sure that was allowed. Cool cool, blocked it for now then.

Megasoum

Banned
Embed features please. Imagine if we could embed Youtube, Twitter, etc.

Emojis? Even Facebook has them..

Like/Dislike buttons? Even Facebook has them..

Being old school is nice I guess. We don't have to worry about the new technology which *most* of the other forums have. More of a relaxed setting. Basic and to the point.

We were able to embed tweets directly in the thread for like 2 hours one day... It was fucking glorious.

Ekdrm2d1

I hate "rep" and "negging". Maybe only a like button and no dislike button. Spread positiveness, no point in a "dislike" button.

These days, if you have a certain amount of negative rep, you can get banned by the community. It's unfair. One's ex could get them banned by just negging them at every post.

We were able to embed tweets directly in the thread for like 2 hours one day... It was fucking glorious.

i remember when we had a "who quoted me" feature for like a day, yeah i know you can still search for your quote but it was still cool

::

Please Like, Share and Subscribe if you enjoyed this post.

Not really a fan of this, especially if this:

Code:
Now Facebook plans to collect information about all Internet users, through “like” buttons and other pieces of code 
present on Web pages across the Internet.

“Our buttons and plugins send over basic information about users’ browsing sessions. 
For non-Facebook members, previously we didn’t use it,” Andrew Bosworth, vice president of Facebook’s ads and 
business platform, told the Journal. “Now we’ll use it to better understand how to target those people.”

is true.
I don't really like FB/Twitter/etc. It's not the end of the world, but I like that GAF is its own separate community and isn't like every other site out there.

But what was stopping someone from sharing your post manually on twitter or facebook before?

Inconvenience? And thought perhaps they did, they might now with ease, and that it is an option included in the design menu of the forum page itself should too increase the number of posters who think of it as an option in the first place.

Otherwise, i had never thought of something like this before and posted threads without this consideration, a consideration which has now not only been brought to my attention but suddenly increased in import. Which is not to say that i would consider it a blemish upon a holy ground, it's not my place to do so but as part of the community it saddens me to consider that i'm now less willing to participate in thread making.

Ekdrm2d1

I don't really like FB/Twitter/etc. It's not the end of the world, but I like that GAF is its own separate community and isn't like every other site out there.

Exactly. Basic and to the point.

At the same time, shouldn't forums evolve to keep up with the surrounding world?

Lomax

I love how all the people on here complaining about Facebook tracking clearly haven't done anything about it for the last 5+ years while Facebook has been tracking them on basically every other site on the web.

looks tacky against the minimalism.

I also have to wonder why now; Is there some large contingent of people who desperately need to discuss gaf discussions on non gaf platforms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom