• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatred - Reveal & Gameplay Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all fantasy to me... This game hardly looks or feels real enough to be disturbing to me. A thin narrative pretext doesn't really absolve virtual bloodlust, so when it's removed, I don't care. I just own up to the fact that it feels satisfying to kill people in games sometimes.

But why would it be fun to graphically execute innocent people as they beg for their lives? There were a few shots in that trailer where the main character was sticking guns in the mouths of men and women as they screamed for help and blew their brains out. Is that normal to want to play something like that? I don't understand how it's entertaining.

Unison

But why would it be fun to graphically execute innocent people as they beg for their lives. There were a few shots in that trailer where the main character was sticking guns in the mouths of men and women as they screamed for help and blew their brains out. Is that normal to want to play something like that? I don't understand how it's entertaining.

You aren't the target market...

There are millions of people who are.

Games like Fallout 3 or Grand Theft Auto or Postal are a testament to this.

It's all fantasy to me... This game hardly looks or feels real enough to be disturbing to me. A thin narrative pretext doesn't really absolve virtual bloodlust, so when it's removed, I don't care. I just own up to the fact that it feels satisfying to kill people in games sometimes.

If you can't see the difference between this and Quake you're full of shit, certifiably insane or lacking mental capacity. I doubt there's a gamer on these boards that wants anything censored, but that doesn't mean you need to go out of your way to encourage morally repugnant titles.

It's like hearing a KKK metal song and saying, "oh, I totally dig the music here. Yeah, I don't see the difference between this and NWA's Fuk Da Police"

MattyG

Banned
I guess I am not very thin skinned about this stuff... I've seen dozens of games that do this sort of thing over the years.

I feel like if everyone was wearing a turban in this game, no one would be flinching.

That's not a judgment... if this particular disturbs people, that's understandable, but it seems like a matter of degrees when comparing this to most other violent games, at best, to me.

url-21.gif

I guess the Postal comparison is fair, but Fallout and GTA? You have the choice to kill civilians in both of those, they aren't games based around it.

soultron

Banned

How does Fallout 3 fit in here? I'd even argue that GTA borders on the lighter side of satire and dark humour, next to something like the original Postal.

I like how you're grouping Fallout 3, GTA, and... Postal together as games that justify your fallacy. Because Postal is totally a top seller.

Also, as has been pointed out, GTA and Fallout aren't nearly as graphic or as... needless, I suppose. Fallout is an RPG with a ton and a half of things to do, and in GTA, yeah, you can mindlessly slaughter people, but it's not the entire point of the game.

Maybe we're all just getting ahead of ourselves because the trailer lacked any context for why this noble hero is going on his killing spree...

Maybe they cut out the part where he was given a pair of sunglasses after a twenty minute fight with Rowdy Roddy Piper?

giphy.gif

kiguel182

I have no idea what to think of this.

On one hand I think the concept could be used to explore some twisted concepts and shock people.

One another I felt the tone of that trailer didn't handle the subject all that well and it felt more juvenile than it should've. Too cartoony in content but to brutal gameplay wise.

Either way I don't think I could play this. I could barely finish the trailer. Really violent and repulsive imaginary.

Maybe we're all just getting ahead of ourselves because the trailer lacked any context for why this noble hero is going on his killing spree...

Maybe they cut out the part where he was given a pair of sunglasses after a twenty minute fight with Rowdy Roddy Piper?

giphy.gif

I have to admit....I laughed at this. I love They Live.

Just an idea, they should release a mod kit for this game. I would probably mod in new character models and music for Hotline Miami.

MattyG

Banned
You can graphically slaughter as many innocents as you like in the Fallout games.
The key word here is "can". You don't have to, and it actually can make the game more difficult if you do. Contrast this with Hatred which seems to be a game where your sole purpose is to slaughter innocents.

Hmm well I love the GTA series. That doesn't actually encourage killing innocents for fun though, it gives the player a choice and works more as a gangster / crime story.

Postal is a different story. Deplorable franchise.

Thing is I even enjoy films like Irreversible and A Clockwork Orange but they have strong statements to make and a context to put their horrific acts against. This… not so much.

Oh well if there's a market for it who am I to complain.

giphy.gif

Why would you leave the major plot theme out of your trailer? In this case the only reason would be to stir up controversy, which would be incredibly scummy and misleading. Either way, screw this game. Also, it wouldn't change the moment to moment depictions of slaughter. Even Modern Warfare 2's No Russian tried to give narrative reasons for its civilian slaughter level, and the level still came off as incredibly immature and gross.

Also, They Live is one of my favorite movies ever. Props

If you think about the context of Uncharted for two seconds, you can easily pierce the justifications the game gives you on the surface.

The game starts out with Drake and Sully planning to go get treasure, so they go to the country of interest, and Drake shoots the place up (and Drake and Sully clap for themselves after.) Then, after the fact, the story turns into something supposedly bigger.

Anyone who knows anything about these kinds of mercs they kill knows that they're generally uneducated, impoverished people who don't have a choice like, say, go to medical school or be a merc. I'm sure some cold blooded killers are in there, but the justification in the game is actually "who will notice a couple thousand dead poor minorities in 3rd world countries, lets go get treasure." I don't care if it doesn't say it in explicit words, that's still what the gameplay is expressing.

The fact that this game says it outright is more like its blowing the cover on other video games.

Oh, I see you didn't play the games.

Nathan and Drake go to some remote locations where the big bad dudes (crime lords) have set up camp (which is illegal, and with orders to shoot to kill anyone who isn't a merc). Drake usually goes in with the intention of sneaking past or minimizing damages, because he doesn't want to get in a shootout, but fuck it, things get wacky and they do.

(At this point I'd like to remind you that the first game actually starts out with on a boat getting attacked by rocket launcher wielding people.)

Then you talk about how these "poor" mercs are supposedly uneducated people. Eddy's people are pirates and the rest are highly trained killers. Only a portion are from South America, and there's nothing to note in any of these games that they are poor people doing what's right in their mind, just nameless mooks out to kill on orders.

So yeah, if you completely warp the narrative of the games, I guess I could see the mercs as some sort of misguided people, and the crime lord leaders as nice guys when you get down to it.

taku

But why would it be fun to graphically execute innocent people as they beg for their lives. There were a few shots in that trailer where the main character was sticking guns in the mouths of men and women as they screamed for help and blew their brains out. Is that normal to want to play something like that? I don't understand how it's entertaining.
Have you ever watched a movie where the antagonist kills a civilian?
I'm going to go ahead and guess that you have. These developers clearly state that you are playing as the antagonist.

Games are like movies in the sense that you can project yourself into a certain situation.
Entertainment does not always have to be about having fun, it can also be as simple as experiencing something that you might not have experienced before or ever will..

And lastly, I'm not saying that I would like to play this game but I do not find it particularly offensive.

mocoworm

I don't have a problem with this game getting made and released but I won't personally play it.

That said, you seriously don't see the difference between this and GTA, Tomb Raider, Uncharted? Seriously?

I was being a bit flippant I suppose. Yes, of course I do see the difference in context, but in a game that is complete fantasy I won't feel any different while playing as Trevor and torturing someone to death with pliers and electric in GTAV as I will to shooting some civilian in the face for no reason in this game.

It's just a game.

I am very against censorship.

soultron

Banned
You can graphically slaughter as many innocents as you like in the Fallout games.

That's not the sole goal of FO3.
That's not the narrative context.
You don't watch incredibly gruesome execution scenes where you insert your gun into their mouths and pull the trigger. At its worst, you'll watch in slow motion as you gib their appendages or entire body.

You can certainly roleplay as a mass murderer in Fallout 3. In Hatred you (probably) don't have a choice in how or who you play.

The only player verbs in Hatred appear to be shoot, reload, and engage in close-range contextual executions.

Kimosabae

Banned
The comments strictly dismissing this as mere shock value are kinda dumb and guttural. You don't know what the motivations of the creators are. The intention very well could be to push the boundaries of what's acceptable in gaming (or what jaded people like to dismiss as "edgy"; dressed with pretentious quotation marks to boot). I find that completely admirable, even if it's using an ornament I personally wouldn't pursue or play and even if it fails.

That criticism is also ignoring the fact that the gameplay looks damned solid.

Why would you leave the major plot theme out of your trailer? In this case the only reason would be to stir up controversy, which would be incredibly scummy and misleading. Either way, screw this game. Also, it wouldn't change the moment to moment depictions of slaughter. Even Modern Warfare 2's No Russian tried to give narrative reasons for its civilian slaughter level, and the level still came off as incredibly immature and gross.

Also, They Live is one of my favorite movies ever. Props

Yeah don't worry, buckets of sarcasm on my part there. I'm almost certain it's violence and controversy just for the sake of it, with no justification for it other than controversy garners attention.

There was just a thread about this game right? No way I'm playing a game like this. Its just disturbing.

Its the same reason I don't play uncharted.

Its a joke

Aesthet1c

This game looks disgusting.

I realize you can kill innocent civilians in plenty of other games, but in a game where that is the sole purpose just feels wrong. Especially with those gruesome executions.

Reading the synopsis of the game, I can't believe there are people that insist that no videogames have a negative impact on anyone that plays them.

The comments strictly dismissing this as mere shock value are kinda dumb. You don't know what the motivations of the creators are. The intention very well could be to push the boundaries of what's acceptable in gaming - or what jaded people like dismiss as "edgy", dressed with pretentious quotation marks - and I find that completely admirable, even if it's using a ornament I personally wouldn't pursue.

That criticism is also ignoring the fact that the gameplay looks damned solid.

I guess that is what is the most disturbing is that the gameplay does look very solid. I would like to see Hotline Miami and a Punisher game like this. This is running on Unreal Engine 4, and I don't think Steam Workshop would be out of the realm of possibility.

Listonosh

You can't really compare this and GTA when the latter is a parody, usually accompanied by humor, and the main focus of the game isn't actually about killing innocent people.

However, this game has civilians literally begging for mercy, as you insert a gun in their mouth and pull the trigger. Man that's brutal. If it was fully isometric with no up close kill cams, that would be one thing.

With that said, I am still intrigued as to how the actual game is, and am truly wondering what kind of splash it makes once released, but I'm not sure whether I'd actually feel comfortable playing it.

*Goes back to playing Senran Kagura*

Unison

That's not the sole goal of FO3.
That's not the narrative context.
You don't watch incredibly gruesome execution scenes where you insert your gun into their mouths and pull the trigger. At its worst, you'll watch in slow motion as you gib their appendages or entire body.

You can certainly roleplay as a mass murderer in Fallout 3. In Hatred you (probably) don't have a choice in how or who you play.

The only player verbs in Hatred appear to be shoot, reload, and engage in close-range contextual executions.

Again, a thin layer of narrative context is just that... It doesn't really justify games that are largely predicated on mass murder to me.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess.

To me this is in the same ballpark as dozens of other popular games. Hotline Miami would be another one to consider as a point of comparison, as that also has you playing a psychopathic mass murderer.

pj

Banned
Oh, I see you didn't play the games.

Nathan and Drake go to some remote locations where the big bad dudes (crime lords) have set up camp (which is illegal, and with orders to shoot to kill anyone who isn't a merc). Drake usually goes in with the intention of sneaking past or minimizing damages, because he doesn't want to get in a shootout, but fuck it, things get wacky and they do.

(At this point I'd like to remind you that the first game actually starts out with on a boat getting attacked by rocket launcher wielding people.)

Then you talk about how these "poor" mercs are supposedly uneducated people. Eddy's people are pirates and the rest are highly trained killers. Only a portion are from South America, and there's nothing to note in any of these games that they are poor people doing what's right in their mind, just nameless mooks out to kill on orders.

So yeah, if you completely warp the narrative of the games, I guess I could see the mercs as some sort of misguided people, and the crime lord leaders as nice guys when you get down to it.

So I guess you support the idea of one (white) criminal, who is trying to illegally steal important artifacts from some country, to be judge jury and executioner of hundreds of people who are just trying to do the same?

So I guess you support the idea of one (white) criminal, who is trying to illegally steal important artifacts from some country, to be judge jury and executioner of hundreds of people who are just trying to do the same?

That's cute, asking adorablely loaded questions like that.

"So you support the murders of babies as well, by a man with a gun?"

No, I'm saying context has merit, and that there's a stark difference between what Drake did, and what this game is doing.

Unison

You can't really compare this and GTA when the latter is a parody, usually accompanied by humor, and the main focus of the game isn't actually about killing innocent people.

However, this game has civilians literally begging for mercy, as you insert a gun in their mouth and pull the trigger. Man that's brutal. If it was fully isometric with no up close kill cams, that would be one thing.

With that said, I am still intrigued as to how the actual game is, and am truly wondering what kind of splash it makes once released, but I'm not sure whether I'd actually feel comfortable playing it.

*Goes back to playing Senran Kagura*

Rockstar also published Manhunt, which had similar kill cut scenes...

I guess that they were "enemy gang members" is supposed to make all the difference?

Have you ever watched a movie where the antagonist kills a civilian?
I'm going to go ahead and guess that you have. These developers clearly state that you are playing as the antagonist.

Games are like movies in the sense that you can project yourself into a certain situation.
Entertainment does not always have to be about having fun, it can also be as simple as experiencing something that you might not have experienced before or ever will..

And lastly, I'm not saying that I would like to play this game but I do not find it particularly offensive.

I think that's something entirely different. I'm a filmmaker myself and understand the process of narrative and films made for artistic reasons. Encouraging a player to take control of a character and kill a ton of innocents for a prolonged series of time is very different to a moment in a film that is key to the narrative.

Like i said earlier this is more comparable to a film like August Underground (Basically a faux snuff film) which is something I really have issues with.
However I hate censorship above all else so hats off to the developers for putting money into something like this that will most likely be banned in many countries. They are brave in that regard.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Where's that murderer thread at? That looks brutal.
Eh, this isn't the kind of murder simulator that was being discussed. Mass murder is boring, I wanna be a serial killer in a video game.

This game could be incredibly interesting or just dull and boring. I'll need hands of time to really judge it instead of knee jerk reaction.

A game where you executed unarmed civilians while they plead for mercy. I'm pretty sure some government agency put this out to root out domestic terrorists. Honestly this game makes me wonder about the devs and their mental health. I'm not for censorship but I wouldn't ever buy this and I would question the character of someone who did. I really think you might get some men in suits knocking on your door if you purchase this.

GavinUK86

Looks like it could be fun but it would've been better without that disturbing monologue at the beginning of the trailer.

Kiru

Rockstar also published Manhunt, which had similar kill cut scenes...

I guess that they were "enemy gang members" is supposed to make all the difference?

All people in Manhunt were criminals, who kinda were actors in some snuff movie for a crazy rich guy. Manhunt 2 also had a justification for killing that I don't want to spoil here. We'll see if there is one for this game here.

The only difference between this and GTA is the tone. When you make civilians remotely sympathetic, it's a serial killer sim. When civilians just run around and scream, it's GOTY. Gamers have been killing virtual people for years and suddenly playing a terrorist is taboo? What's the difference, GAF? Why is killing people fun in any other game but this?

Tik-Tok

I don't understand why this is a conversation. I don't also understand why there are conversations about whether a came is too sexualized, or misogynistic or any of that.

The brilliant thing about media is that you have a choice of whether you consume it or not and whether you enjoy it or not.

Too often I feel like as a community we get our torches and pitchforks out about things and force developers into self censoring.

MattyG

Banned
Again, a thin layer of narrative context is just that... It doesn't really justify games that are largely predicated on mass murder to me.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess.

To me this is in the same ballpark as dozens of other popular games. Hotline Miami would be another one to consider as a point of comparison, as that also has you playing a psychopathic mass murderer.
You aren't listening at all. There is NO narrative context to killing civilians in Fallout 3, and it's not encouraged. It's optional, but not at all required or encouraged. That is NOT AT ALL the same as a game predicated on the slaughter of innocent civilians. Same with Hotline Miami, in which you are killing mobsters (and, yes police, whom I believe are corrupt if I recall correct.) Difference between Hatred and Hotline Miami is that HM actually said something interesting about the violence in it, whereas (as far as we can tell at this time) this is just a civilian killing sim with nothing to say.

And if you want to completely remove the difference between civilians and hostile enemies for the sake of your argument, then you must have a hard time finding games you find acceptable.

Unison

That's cute, asking adorablely loaded questions like that.

"So you support the murders of babies as well, by a man with a gun?"

No, I'm saying context has merit, and that there's a stark difference between what Drake did, and what this game is doing.

Drake's motivated by money and a sense of "adventure" to kill hundreds...

Which one is the psycho again?

This is so stupid I have to interject. How can you compare Uncharted to this?

It's the way the narrative is framed that is a blindingly obvious, massive difference between the games.

This is the synopsis of this game:

[the] player takes the role of a cold blood antagonist, who is full of hatred for humanity. It's a horror, but here YOU are the villain. Wander the outskirts of New York State, seek for victims on seven free-roam levels. Fight against law enforcement and take a journey into the antagonist's hateful mind. Gather equipment of the dead ‘human shields’ to spread Armageddon upon society. Destroy everything on your way of hunt and fight back when it's disturbed...

So if you are a kid, or anyone, playing this, your mindset is going to be different as you play. Because of the way the story is laid out, you are meant to be relishing in the slaughter of innocent people in gruesome ways. And that is harmful.

This will obviously make what you are thinking as you play completely different to your thoughts as you play Uncharted, where the narrative is you saving the day in some big adventure. Your actions aren't framed around slaughtering innocent people to notch up points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom