• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatred - Reveal & Gameplay Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lerozz

A sociopath's wet dream.

I like how it looks but, eh, don't want to gun down and stab random and helpless people though. The context here is not fun at all.

This game will get its media attention, that's for sure.

Zomba13

All people in Manhunt were criminals, who kinda were actors in some snuff movie for a crazy rich guy. Manhunt 2 also had a justification for killing that I don't want to spoil here. We'll see if there is one for this game here.

Yeah, with Manhunt it is still fucked up (like, the kill animations and how it glorified them) but there was context in the world.

Same with Hotline Miami, it had context for the killing (and was still fucked up though a fun and challenging game). No Russian in MW2 had context and also didn't actually need you to fire a single bullet.

In GTA the main goal isn't to kill random civilians, it's just something people do because they think it's fun. The main goal is to rise up in a criminal empire. That usually involves a lot of violence, mainly against cops and rival gang members and criminals but it has context and the part where you go on murder sprees in the streets killing unarmed civilians isn't the main part, just something you can do.

Here, the main part is the killing of civilians that can't defend themselves.

"These days, when a lot of games are heading to be polite, colorful, politically correct and trying to be some kind of higher art, rather than just an entertainment"

They lost me at that quote. I don't mind you making a game focussed on entertainment and nothing more, but you don't have to put down others to make your game sound 'unique' (it's not). Also the idea of the game is really stereotypical. Kill as many innocent people without reason? That is the kind of game your mom thinks you are playing already.

Unison

You aren't listening at all. There is NO narrative context to killing civilians in Fallout 3, and it's not encouraged. It's optional, but not at all required or encouraged. That is NOT AT ALL the same as a game predicated on the slaughter of innocent civilians. Same with Hotline Miami, in which you are killing mobsters (and, yes police, whom I believe are corrupt if I recall correct.) Difference between Hatred and Hotline Miami is that HM actually said something interesting about the violence in it, whereas (as far as we can tell at this time) this is just a civilian killing sim with nothing to say.

And if you want to completely remove the difference between civilians and hostile enemies for the sake of your argument, then you must have a hard time finding games you find acceptable.

Again, a thin layer of narrative context is just that... It doesn't really justify games that are largely predicated on mass murder to me.

Also, I am not the one who is offended here. I am fine with this game's existence.

Unison

Yeah, with Manhunt it is still fucked up (like, the kill animations and how it glorified them) but there was context in the world.

Same with Hotline Miami, it had context for the killing (and was still fucked up though a fun and challenging game). No Russian in MW2 had context and also didn't actually need you to fire a single bullet.

In GTA the main goal isn't to kill random civilians, it's just something people do because they think it's fun. The main goal is to rise up in a criminal empire. That usually involves a lot of violence, mainly against cops and rival gang members and criminals but it has context and the part where you go on murder sprees in the streets killing unarmed civilians isn't the main part, just something you can do.

Here, the main part is the killing of civilians that can't defend themselves.

Urrm... the protagonist in Hatred is clearly insane.

There is narrative justification for his killing.

DieH@rd

Banned
Well, that was unexpected.

This is one of those rare occasions that I though that this game deserves AO rating and that it would probably not be certified to appear on PS4/Xbone. Trailer just became more and more and more violent and genocidal as it went on, pretty disturbing.

pj

Banned
This is so stupid I have to interject. How can you compare Uncharted to this?

It's the way the narrative is framed that is a blindingly obvious, massive difference between the games.

This is the synopsis of this game:

So if you had a kid, or anyone, playing this, your mindset is going to be different. Because of the way the story is laid out, you are meant to be relishing in the slaughter of innocent people in gruesome ways.

This will obviously make what you think as you play completely different to Uncharted, where the narrative is you saving the day in some big adventure. Your actions aren't framed around slaughtering innocent people to notch up points.

I don't like being told what to think. I analyze games as they appear to me, not how the developer chooses to summarize them. Nathan Drake doesn't "save the day", he murders hundreds of people and destroys irreplaceable ruins and artifacts. Every god damn game ends with an ancient city collapsing into the void. He's a selfish opportunist and a misogynist to boot.

I haven't played Hatred, so I can't judge it yet like some others here, but I doubt it will be any worse than the other mass murder simulators I've played. Payday, Uncharted, GTA, Fallout, Call of "Duty", etc etc

They should just name this game "Story at 11." At least then it would serve as some sort of comment on society. As is it's just devoid of any thought, any mental effort on the part of the developers. It looks like a complete waste.

soultron

Banned
Again, a thin layer of narrative context is just that... It doesn't really justify games that are largely predicated on mass murder to me.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess.

To me this is in the same ballpark as dozens of other popular games. Hotline Miami would be another one to consider as a point of comparison, as that also has you playing a psychopathic mass murderer.

If you play FO3 with the sole purpose of RPing a mass murder who specifically targets unarmed civilians, that's good for you, I guess, but not really the point of the game.

Hotline Miami is also different because of its narrative context. You're right in that it's an incredibly brutal game. But you're not killing unarmed civilians, you're killing members of an organized crime syndicate. You do kill police in the game too, but IIRC, it's something you can either do when you're escaping or not. There's a level set in a police station but the narrative context attempts to justify this.

Hotline Miami is also not presented in such high fidelity. Its pixel art style (during gameplay, not the character portraits in story bits) means you can't see people's faces when you're doing something like smashing their heads against a wall. You also can't ever hear/read characters speaking during gameplay (nor do they do things like beg for their lives), so the fidelity of the simulation is much lower than something like Hatred. The game doesn't even have dialogue that's spoken aloud, it's all text.

Rockstar also published Manhunt, which had similar kill cut scenes...

I guess that they were "enemy gang members" is supposed to make all the difference?
IIRC, Manhunt also had a layer of narrative context that contextualized everything: you were captured and set free in a fake city with people who were paid to kill you. It was kill or be killed.

doofy102

What's all this about there being no "context" to justify the violence? Sure there's a context, a story, it's there in the first half of the trailer. You just don't like it.

Unison

If you play FO3 with the sole purpose of RPing a mass murder who specifically targets unarmed civilians, that's good for you, I guess, but not really the point of the game.

Hotline Miami is also different because of its narrative context. You're right in that it's an incredibly brutal game. But you're not killing unarmed civilians, you're killing members of an organized crime syndicate. You do kill police in the game too, but IIRC, it's something you can either do when you're escaping or not. There's a level set in a police station but the narrative context attempts to justify this.

Hotline Miami is also not presented in such high fidelity. Its pixel art style (during gameplay, not the character portraits in story bits) means you can't see people's faces when you're doing something like smashing their heads against a wall. You also can't ever hear/read characters speaking during gameplay (nor do they do things like beg for their lives), so the fidelity of the simulation is much lower than something like Hatred. The game doesn't even have dialogue that's spoken aloud, it's all text.

IIRC, Manhunt also had a layer of narrative context that contextualized everything: you were captured and set free in a fake city with people who were paid to kill you. It was kill or be killed.

Well, that was unexpected.

This is one of those rare occasions that I though that this game deserves AO rating and that it would probably not be certified to appear on PS4/Xbone. Trailer just became more and more and more violent and genocidal as it went on, pretty disturbing.

Yeah, I'm thinking this game will be PC only.

Not tying to be rude but what is your point? Solid =/= novel/innovative
It doesn't look special is all I was getting at. These games rarely interest me usually so that probably explains my off non relevant comment. You're right though solid doesn't mean novel or anything. My bad.
The brilliant thing about media is that you have a choice of whether you consume it or not and whether you enjoy it or not.

Too often I feel like as a community we get our torches and pitchforks out about things and force developers into self censoring.
You are right, I don't have to consume it and I won't. Doesn't mean we can't talk about. Also if you read the thread barely anyone, heck no one is saying censor the game.

Usobuko

Banned
I'll advise the developer to tone down on the bloated, narcissistic self-narration and allows more subtlety. Make your character multifaceted, hatred isn't the only viable option for a serial murderer to assault civilians. And lastly, build up another unstoppable as rival/monster and clash it with the protagonist at the end.

Popnbake

As other people have speculated in this thread, I do wonder what will happen if you choose not to kill people.

This is so stupid I have to interject. How can you compare Uncharted to this?

It's the way the narrative is framed that is a blindingly obvious, massive difference between the games.

This is the synopsis of this game:

So if you are a kid, or anyone, playing this, your mindset is going to be different as you play. Because of the way the story is laid out, you are meant to be relishing in the slaughter of innocent people in gruesome ways. And that is harmful.

This will obviously make what you are thinking as you play completely different to your thoughts as you play Uncharted, where the narrative is you saving the day in some big adventure. Your actions aren't framed around slaughtering innocent people to notch up points.

Kids shouldn't be playing this and a mature person should be able to determine that this game is just that, a game.

The guy who keeps warping the narrative to suit his needs.

That's the narrative in the f*cking game though.

The one that is warping the narrative is YOU. You can apply any narrative that you want to Uncharted, like the one in your head where 'I'm playing as Drake and I'm a mass murderer' and completely ignore the story.

You could play Super Mario and the narrative in your mind could be 'I'm wickedly slaughtering hundreds of different animals' but that doesn't mean that that is what the game is framed around and that is not what the devs are encouraging you to buy into as you play the game.

THIS game has been set by the devs as basically a mass-murderer simulator. Uncharted wasn't.

I don't like being told what to think. I analyze games as they appear to me, not how the developer chooses to summarize them. Nathan Drake doesn't "save the day", he murders hundreds of people and destroys irreplaceable ruins and artifacts. Every god damn game ends with an ancient city collapsing into the void. He's a selfish opportunist and a misogynist to boot.

Like I said, just like Indiana Jones. Do you have a problem with him as well?

inki

This is pretty metal. If the dude was into the occult it would be icing on the cake.

It looks pretty black metal imo. Also, are the creators from Sweden or Norway? (only a point because black metal is popular/originated there). The CEO in the employee bio section is wearing a black metal shirt as well (can't make out the band).

They want to make something vulgar for their first game. That's their choice. Its just not for me.

Seriously, what a lot of people being hypocrites.

I don't agree with the Uncharted example, but don't pretend like the motivations in other games to kill people are very strong. And besides that, the context in which you kill people in other games is almost completely ignored by players anyway.

I don't like the info on the website, as it seems as they do want to create something like this to stand out, but personally I am very interested in games like this.

Definitely seems like a stupid game that doesn't need to exist. I mean I'm at the age where I look for and crave novel narrative experiences, and it doesn't really look like this is going for anything more than shock value. Unimpressed, will not be buying or caring about this game.

Kiru

It looks pretty black metal imo. Also, are the creators from Sweden or Norway? (only a point because black metal is popular/originated there). The CEO in the employee bio section is wearing a black metal shirt as well (can't make out the band).

They want to make something vulgar for their first game. That's their choice. Its just not for me.
Poland, I think.

pj

Banned
Like I said, just like Indiana Jones. Do you have a problem with him as well?

Ugh, don't get me started on Indiana Jones.

"Oh look, there's hitler. I'll just get his autograph instead of killing him." Not to mention the slavery references with that completely unnecessary whip.

I haven't played Hatred, so I can't judge it yet like some others here, but I doubt it will be any worse than the other mass murder simulators I've played. Payday, Uncharted, GTA, Fallout, Call of "Duty", etc etc

If you can't see the difference between this game and Uncharted, then f*cking hell. You probably think The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Indiana Jones are the same as things happen to die in both of them.

Begaria

Here's a question: If you have a problem with this game do you have a problem GTA V too? How about Hotline miami? In GTA V you straight up torture a dude and in Hotline miami you kill a bunch of cops in the most brutal manner.

I was having this same thought while I was reading through the thread. There's a lot of fucked up violence in video games - what's one more to add to the pile? Hatred looks like a modern take on Postal.

hmmm ??

I looked at the screenshots first and thought, wow nice old school view, great art direction....

THEN I saw the Trailer

SERIOUSLY ....AS A GAME DEVELOPER MYSELF I FIND THIS DISTURBING....

Where are the limits ....JESUS!

I would think that as a game developer you would want no limitations placed on what you can create. I know there's a line in the sand somewhere - something like 6 Days in Fallujah being based on actual events was probably taking it too far - but Hatred is complete fiction in an industry that has already had several examples of over the top violence.

MattyG

Banned
What's all this about there being no "context" to justify the violence? Sure there's a context, a story, it's there in the first half of the trailer. You just don't like it.
Nobody is disputing the fact that there is narrative context, we're disputing the idea that this narrative context that requires you to murder civilians is somehow akin to the player's choice to murder civilians in games like Fallout 3 and GTA.

The press is going to have a field day with this. Why can't the developers just use zombies or aliens as the enemies to avoid all the inevitable bad press? Graphically, it looks like a step up from previous engines, though, that's for sure.

Ramenman

The question you may ask is: why do they do this? These days, when a lot of games are heading to be polite, colorful, politically correct and trying to be some kind of higher art, rather than just an entertainment– we wanted to create something against trends. Something different, something that could give the player a pure, gaming pleasure.

What.

This statement makes no sense whatsoever, in so many different ways.

Take lots of very different directions that have nothing to with each other and that, even though they exist are FAR from the majority, call it a single "trend" (seriously what's the link between colorful, polite, higher art etc ?), and then act like "pure gaming pleasure" isn't something games strive for (in a world where something like Sunset Overdrive comes out in 2 weeks), and link that to making a very violent game.

Frankly I don't even care they're making a very violent game, people canmake whatever they want, if that doesn't please me I just won't play it, but this statement is incredibly idiotic.

They act like they're making a violent game just because they want to, but instead of saying "just because we want to" they come up with some going against metatrends something bullshit x)

The press is going to have a field day with this. Why can't the developers just use zombies or aliens as the enemies to avoid all the inevitable bad press? Graphically, it looks like a step up from previous engines, though, that's for sure.

Because they're not trying to avoid it.

It's their only way to get attention, and it's working.

Damerman

if it had more substance it I would be interested. but the presentation is pretty conspicuous in it's thematic direction. This is not for me... pass. Also, I implore people who compare this to GTA V and Hotline miami to think harder about themes and direction... this is significantly different.

I think they want bad press. It's free advertising. They are trying to be like Rockstar.

People arguing for this game are making an awful lot of concessions. By your very own diatribe you would insist that Snuff films have as much integrity as The Godfather. It's a stupid stance to take and you're not really convincing anyone. Like I've already said, it's fine to stand up to censorship, but to take ridiculous stances in anticipation of such talk only serves to discredit your opinion on the art of games. Your stance becomes a profession of poor taste. If that's really the case, then fine. Enjoy your shitty games.

Usobuko

Banned
These days, when a lot of games are heading to be polite, colorful, politically correct and trying to be some kind of higher art, rather than just an entertainment– we wanted to create something against trends. Something different, something that could give the player a pure, gaming pleasure.

I don't reject these kind of games, in fact I'm interested to delve into a killer psyche if it's done right. But based on this statement, I have no faith with the developer.

Damerman

Rockstar also published Manhunt, which had similar kill cut scenes...

I guess that they were "enemy gang members" is supposed to make all the difference?

do you even themes?

it's pretty obvious what this director is trying to depict. GTA V civilians said humorous things, even when you went on a rampage, so did the police. they are begging for their lives in hatred with really graphic depictions of violence... you are ignoring a lot of themes and obvious presentation motifs if you think Manhunt and this are similar.

soultron

Banned
People arguing for this game are making an awful lot of concessions. By your very own diatribe you would insist that Snuff films have as much integrity as The Godfather. It's a stupid stance to take and you're not really convincing anyone. Like I've already said, it's fine to stand up to censorship, but to take ridiculous stances in anticipation of such talk only serves to discredit your opinion on the art of games. Your stance becomes a profession of poor taste. If that's really the case, then fine. Enjoy your shitty games.

Pffft. Who watches The Godfather for its storytelling, artful composition, or wonderfully realized characters? I just watched it for the severed horse heads and killing!

no angel

I can't see any of the big names attaching themselves to something like this, is it being self published? I think this is the first game I've seen where I've gone 'nope, that's too far', and the mainstream media will tear it to shreds. I predict many uses of the term 'murder simulator'.

Unison

The real argument is that virtual killing is nothing to be ashamed of and doesn't need to be justified. It can be entertaining/exhilarating/fun in its own right.

It's not even a question of morals to begin with. It's a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom