• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku Project Diva series general discussion thread

Shinta

Banned
Well I finally got my copy, and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed so far.

The graphics are phenomenal. The colors pop, and I was instantly thinking this is one of the best looking Vita games. But so far, most of the videos, the actual content, the direction, are not as great as some past videos in the series.

The audio also sounds flat. I always play these games with my nice headphones plugged in, and all the songs sound flat. Even songs I had heard before on youtube sound better to me for some reason. I can't tell if it's just my imagination or what, but the vocals all sound louder, and the music sounds much quieter. The sound effects for the button presses are all louder as well, and a bit more obnoxious.

I'm not liking the touch screen stars at all. Not one bit. It's clumsy and inaccurate. I would have rather had tapping on the rear touch, tapping on the front screen, L and R buttons, anything but swiping.

I'm not liking the chance time success thing (the big star that extends songs). The songs all feel like they're going on a bit too long, and overstay their welcome. Also the big star usually triggers some stage specific sound effect that further muddles the music. I don't know why they did this. Each of the final verses feel tacked on, because it can either start or stop the song.

And so far, the song selection itself feels pretty mediocre compared to past games. There are definitely a few great ones I'm loving so far, but I haven't replayed any of them yet. On the 3 previous PSP games, I just would sit and replay one song over and over for a while before even moving on.

Maybe I'm just irritable tonight, and it'll grow on me. But so far, the game is definitely good, great even at times, but I still feel a little disappointed.

The graphics are phenomenal. The colors pop, and I was instantly thinking this is one of the best looking Vita games. But so far, most of the videos, the actual content, the direction, are not as great as some past videos in the series.

The audio also sounds flat. I always play these games with my nice headphones plugged in, and all the songs sound flat. Even songs I had heard before on youtube sound better to me for some reason. I can't tell if it's just my imagination or what, but the vocals all sound louder, and the music sounds much quieter. The sound effects for the button presses are all louder as well, and a bit more obnoxious.

I'm not liking the touch screen stars at all. Not one bit. It's clumsy and inaccurate. I would have rather had tapping on the rear touch, tapping on the front screen, L and R buttons, anything but swiping.

I'm not liking the chance time success thing (the big star that extends songs). The songs all feel like they're going on a bit too long, and overstay their welcome. Also the big star usually triggers some stage specific sound effect that further muddles the music. I don't know why they did this. Each of the final verses feel tacked on, because it can either start or stop the song.

And so far, the song selection itself feels pretty mediocre compared to past games. There are definitely a few great ones I'm loving so far, but I haven't replayed any of them yet. On the 3 previous PSP games, I just would sit and replay one song over and over for a while before even moving on.

Maybe I'm just irritable tonight, and it'll grow on me. But so far, the game is definitely good, great even at times, but I still feel a little disappointed.

I can agree with the graphics and occasionally the big star introduces confusing sound (Black Rock Shooter springs to mind), but the rest I don't get. The big stars do not extend songs. The video direction is amazing, especially compared to the PSP games where a good 50% of songs were just Miku prancing around in small room or tiny stage. I can't think of anything as creative as Time Machine, World's End Dance Hall or Nyanyanya on the PSP. And what you said about the song selection, well, I've felt that about every game in the series. Musical taste is a bitch.

ArchAngel

I was disappointed at first too, thought something felt odd. But after a while I was amazed by the PV direction and the songs. Very good game, even if it feels a bit different than the PSP games. Made everything on excellent on normal and some greats on hard. I just love it right now :D

-GJ-

Received my copy today from PlayAsia. It was dispatched on the 10th, so it took only 5 days to get here from Hong Kong to Holland. It usually takes about 10 days for me to receive something from them. I used the regular 21-day shipping option. I hope you guys get it fast!

Actually
For the videos i hope it will grow on you.. some vids , like "remocon" or black rock shooter have great direction IMO and things that i haven't seen even on extend..it's also clear they used the power they had to make more complex vids ( world end dancehall is a clear example )

For the audio i suggest to adjust the parametters in the options , i was annoyed at first and now i just play with no effect on notes and a small , simple effect on scratch notes with a toned effect volume , it works very well as it allowed me to just focus on the songs

for the scratch note , maybe it'll work for you if you set -it up on the rear pad .. the window of opportunity is quite huge ..i think it's better that way

-GJ-

On Normal I always get 'Wrong' on the arrows, while my timing isn't off or anything. I'm new to the series, so I guess I'm missing something...

On Normal I always get 'Wrong' on the arrows, while my timing isn't off or anything. I'm new to the series, so I guess I'm missing something...

Green arrow = UP + triangle
Pink arrow = LEFT + square
Red arrow = RIGHT + circle
Blue arrow = DOWN + cross

You have 2 way to play with that mecanic.

Method 1
Using Both boutons with the right timing
It is as i said above , this work well in some cases, but will Confuse you in some songs if you're unprepared ..overall i dislike this method unless extreme difficulty

Method 2

Since diva2 , the game use a buffer for button press, what you can do then is to press the arrow boutton way before the note should be pressed ( don't let go ), and then press the other buttons with the right timing. As long as you don't let go the arrow key , the game will consider the second press as the timing to use.
This method is particulary intresting to use on normal and hard difficulties.
Since you're pressing an arrow key before another arrives , you should always clear your current note before

Pressing an arrow key ALONE count as a normal boutton press ( down = cross , up = triangle , etc ) that's why you get "wrong" .

If you mean the coloured arrows, you need to press the indicated direction and the corresponding face button simultaneously. So blue down is X and down, red right is O and right, green up is triangle and up and pink left is [] and left.

Anyway, finally got hold of my copy - quite frankly I hate the swipe notes and feel they ruin the game.

For starters the detection is woeful, there is little point trying to time your swipes because half of the time it'll result in a bunch of Worst ratings. I also find swiping on the Vita screen quickly to be tough because most of my fingers don't run across it smoothly, there is too much friction to make the required quick flicks. The only way around that is to use my right index finger, but that means having to very quickly change the way I'm holding the Vita when a star note appears, resulting in a couple of missed notes. Finally the back touch is hopeless, when I'm just holding the Vita normally and have a fingertip resting on the pad it randomly registers as swipes, yet when I swipe the pad it only detects about a quarter of the time.

I spent many hours aiming for perfect ratings on the previous PD games, but because of those swipe notes there is no point in even trying in this game - there will always be 5 or 6 Worst ratings from the swiping sections in each song.

-GJ-

Thanks for the explanations! I will try it out in a minute.

@Azure Phoenix: I have no hard time with the swipe notes whatsoever. I always have them on Cool or Fine, except for when there are 4 or 5 close ones right after eachother. I just move my right thumb to the bottom right corner of the screen and I swipe there. You don't have to swipe over the stars.

you're not supposed to time your swipe like normal notes..the moment your motion ends is the right timing , so you should start swiping before the star reach, small motions are ok , at worst , you'll get a "fine" ..i bet you get a worst because you start swiping when the star is on top of the target , and that is the wrong way to do this ..

Another tip is to not make exagerated motions and to do the tutorial if you're unsure of the right timing ..i know we're all experienced players ..but this stuff was written in there.

The fact that you can do motions with either hand also help when you must chain between stars and regular notes in a row .
@Azure Phoenix
Perfect is totally doable
HJl4yl.jpg

and with added difficulty i must say
um7DXl.jpg

Those were done on COOL challenges :

Cool challenges rules are as follows:
Any note other than COOL make you lose your HP, Fine notes still continue the combo meter.If you manages to finish the song , you receive 4 times the diva points.
It's actually the best way to perfect the game as this mode forces you to Cool if you do not want to MISSxTAKE

@-GJ-
doing them on the bottom left corner with your left hand also help , you should have your screen visible at all times

Kazzy

What do the usable items do? By scanning the descriptions, I can guess that they relate to certain notes, but how exactly?

What do the usable items do? By scanning the descriptions, I can guess that they relate to certain notes, but how exactly?

Challenges item multiply your DIVA points at the end of a song
Examples :

シャイターゲット
The shy target
See how the notes cmes across the whole screen before hitting their target ? in this challenge , they do not appear until they have done half the distance ( you see them very late ) . the speed of the notes is unchanged.
You get DOUBLE diva POINTS if you clear a song

サバイバル
SUrvivor
The cool and fine not do not regen your HP .all other notes still make you lose HP.
You get DOUBLE diva POINTS if you clear a song

サバイバルS
Survivor Special
Same as survivor , but you start a song at 25% hp ( QUARTER ) instead of 50%
You get TRIPLE DIVA POINTS if you clear a song

COOLマスター
Cool master challenge.
i explained about it above
Any other note than cool will make you lose HP. the rest of the rules is unchanged .combo is kept if you do "fine" notes.
You get FOUR TIMES DIVA POINTS if you clear a song

Now the help items

プレイアシスト
Play Assist

All SADs and WORSTs are converted into SAFEs, so you will never lose Song Energy. Your final rank will be forced to Cheap and you fail the song.

コンボガード
Combo Guard
30 SAFEs and SADs will be converted into FINEs to keep your combo going. When you get a WORST or one of the two ratings after the 30 convertions ran out, the item will have no effect. You can still get a WORST , because you diid a WORST note , and still be protected by the rest of the 30 "guards" provided by the help item . No effect on the final rank.This one is very usefull but bear in mind that the game will remember you using an item to clear you'll get a green heart next to the song in the song selection list

リカバリー
Recovery
If your Song Energy reaches zero, the Life Gauge will be fully refilled. Only works once. No effect on the final rank.
Same as before , you'll get a green heart in your song selection list regardless if the item was activated or not.

リユムキャッチ
Rhythm Catch
All Button Targets are changed into Circle Targets. This item has no effect on Scratch Targets. Your final rank will be forced to Cheap and you fail the song.

ダブルキラー
Double Killer
All Double Targets can be hit by just pressing one of either the D-Pad or the Button instead of both. Your final rank will be forced to Standard or lower.
Again Green heart in song selection but the song is considered cleared ( by the game and for trophies )

スターキラー
Star Killer
All Scratch Targets, including the big Star Note at the end of Chance Time, can be hit with any button instead of scratching. Your final rank will be forced to Standard or lower.
Green heart is song list ... blablabla.. you get my drift
This are the most commonly used do you want more info ?

you're not supposed to time your swipe like normal notes..the moment your motion ends is the right timing , so you should start swiping before the star reach, small motion are ok , at worst , you'll get a "fine" ..i bet you get a worst because you start swiping when the star is on top of the target , and that is the wrong way to do this ..

Another tip is to not make exagerated motions and to do the tutorial if you're unsure of the right timing ..i know we're all experienced players ..but this stuff was written in there.
It isn't a timing issue, otherwise I'd be able to notice that the bell sound effect wasn't in time with the swipe prompt. What I mean is that it often doesn't detect my swipe at all, regardless of if I make a small or large motion there is no bell sound effect to confirm that a swipe motion was detected - particularly if the rear touch pad is used.

I've spent a fair amount of time practicing the swipe motions on ACUTE (where it starts with a swipe section), so I know how the timing works - what I'm saying is that it isn't accurate enough. As for the tutorial, considering I can't read Japanese it isn't of any use.

Yeah, not urge how many of you caught my stream but I had absolutely no trouble with the scratches. If anything, they're way too easy; you can literally scratch the screen like a rabid beaver and every single star would register as Fine. They really need to be graded the same as regular notes.

Something the tutorial makes clear about the scratches by the way; they are like turntable scratches in IIDX where you don't scratch in the same direction repeatedly, but you are intended to alternate directions without removing your finger from the glass.

Project DIVA Wiki has a list here: http://projectdiva.wikispaces.com/List+of+Rhythm+Game+Items+(ƒ)

Nisa65

Picked up Dreamy Theatre Extend the other day. Am I right in saying that I need to unlock everything i.e. songs and extra difficulty levels on the PSP version first before I can play them on PS3?

Nisa65

Damn.

Currently playing through everything on Hard right now to get Extreme difficulty. I never really bothered with the PSP version until I unlocked everything in Project Diva f. I pretty much had to start from scratch on Extend yesterday.

Kazzy

Challenges item multiply your DIVA points at the end of a song

Thanks! Some of those challenge items seem really counter-productive, though.

Finished hard earlier today, and now I've gone back and picked up excellent rankings in the first half of the catalog. The difficulty curve for the songs seem pretty well balanced, except a few exceptions. And to think, I failed the first song on normal only last week!

Does anyone have a translated trophy list? I've got about 33% now, so I'd like to see what the rest of the trophies are geared towards.

Rasec

Does anyone have a translated trophy list? I've got about 33% now, so I'd like to see what the rest of the trophies are geared towards.

Gold
- Clear all normal
- Clear all hard
- Get all Chance Time
- Get all modules
- Get all DIVA Room events

Silver
- Watch all PVs
- Max friendship with Miku
- Max friendship with Rin
- Max friendship with Len
- Max friendship with Luka
- Max friendship with Kaito
- Max friendship with Meiko
- Upload one edit data
- Get all room themes
- Get all furniture
- Get all gift items
- Play the staff roll mini-game

Bronze
- Clear the tutorial
- Play all characters in Free Play
- Collect all artwork
- Visit at least once all the DIVA rooms
- Hey! Look over there (Rock Paper Scissor game) Straight win
- Use kitchen timer for more than 3 minutes
- Player has stopped the alarm
- Watch all Live AR
- Created one Edit Data
- Played your favorite Edit
- Inputted your Profile

One short from perfect Secret Police on hard. T.T

Good luck. I always screw up on one or two notes. I almost have a few done on hard(Secret Police, World's End Dancehall, and Nostalogic), but it's always one or two...

EDIT: i attempted world's end dancehall with a challenge item on and got about 350 notes good until i hit a safe

then i panicked and failed

Kazzy

Cool is really the way to go !!
4 times the points and it will train you to COOL and thus perfect your songs ..a total recommandation

I've used it once or twice already. I generally don't have much trouble getting cools, except the star swipes (which are easy to hit, but seem inconsistent in terms of cools), and then there are the notes that overlap, which are amazingly evil. I need a way just to practice those very specific moments.

Like I said, I've polished off hard at this point, so maybe perfects are the way to go. I might try expert, but that's typically where I hit a wall in rhythm games.

The fact that I'm actively trying to better myself at this game, speaks to just how much I like it. I originally got Project Diva f, because I was just desperate for a rhythm game for my Vita, but now I'm tempted to go back and grab one of the PSP games too.

Sirenja

Banned
Don´t know if this is the right place but I have a copy of Diva f for Sale with preorder Bonus (Vita skin) - PM if interested - only for Europe. € 60 :)

I could not wait for my copy to arrive and already bought the PSN version.

Glad to see people are still enjoying this :)

It's so addicting -- even when I feel like playing something else, I always end up playing Miku. I've perfect cleared a few of the Extreme songs now, so I guess that's what I'll keep working on.

I also got ~96.5% on extreme Sadistic Music Factory.

Shinta

Banned
You guys were right, it's already growing on me quite a bit. I guess I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday.

Negative-Positive continues is just amazing. The song, and the video are fantastic. If you guys didn't know, sasakure.UK has also done some work for Square Enix, doing some remix albums.

Song of the Ancients (NieR Tribute Album -echo-)
Romancing Saga 2 -Last Battle- (Cafe SQ)
NieR Gestalt and NieR Replicant Kaine / Salvation (More SQ)

He's also done a remix for Genki Rockets' new album.
Hikari no tabi (sasakure.UK Broken Wonder Mix) (No Border Between Us - repackage - )

Kazzy

Glad to see people are still enjoying this :)

It's so addicting -- even when I feel like playing something else, I always end up playing Miku. I've perfect cleared a few of the Extreme songs now, so I guess that's what I'll keep working on.

I also got ~96.5% on extreme Sadistic Music Factory.

Whoa, I think I'd be happy to just clear all the songs on extreme.

Shinta

Banned
Are your hands ok ? can you still move them ?how much time do you need to recover ?

The frustrating thing about extreme mode is that I just often times can't physically hit the buttons that fast when they do the rapid fire stuff. I want them to be as tricky as possible, mix up the buttons, mix up the rhythms, but the rapid fire stuff just makes me sad.

I wonder how long that will last before it rubs off.

I wouldn't be too surprised if there was a layer of plastic over the top of the design. (Elaboration for the next sentence: all regular Vitas have a design consisting of a grid of the four buttom logos i.e. Xs, circles, squares and triangles on the back panel) On my Vita, there's plenty of smudge marks and no sign of any damage to the design on the back panel. (Discalimer: no I haven't imported the Miku Vita, I'm not going to spend £silly on a second Vita. Hell, I haven't even imported Project Diva f, largely because I'm reserving my import cash for Persona 4 Gold and/or 999 from America, where prices are a bit more reasonable).

-GJ-

How do you get to the credits mini-game? Do you have to clear all songs on Normal? I completed every song Great or Excellent on Easy, but I didn't get to see the credits.

@StarCreator Sooooo smooooooth @_@... Is that video 60 fps?

Kazzy

How do you get to the credits mini-game? Do you have to clear all songs on Normal? I completed every song Great or Excellent on Easy, but I didn't get to see the credits.

I can confirm that I definitely got the mini-game after clearing normal, so that must be the minimum requirement.

Is there a trophy guide out for this, yet? I would like to see the best techniques people have for grinding credits, which for me boils down to using the cool challenge on hard.

I can confirm that I definitely got the mini-game after clearing normal, so that must be the minimum requirement.

Is there a trophy guide out for this, yet? I would like to see the best techniques people have for grinding credits, which for me boils down to using the cool challenge on hard.

I don't see how you can get credits faster than this .
i'll also reconfirm that you need to finishan entire set of songs ( normal ) to get the credits ..If you haven't unlocked RANDOM in the list of songs then you're missing one ...

Downloaded this directly to my Vita, your capture looks lovely on it. What's your gear?

So I just tried the video on my Vita and found it A) dropped frames like crazy, B) didn't maintain A/V sync despite dropping frames like crazy. Did you have different results? Seems to me the video app wasn't built to play 720p@60fps...

Yep, it's 60fps (technically 60000/1001 fps, but who's counting?)

Actually just updated both videos, I derped a bit on the audio and apparently everything but my iPad didn't care.

The Miku LE is indeed impossible to rub off.

Also, yeah -- when I play the extreme stuff for extended periods of time going for perfects, I do need to rest my hands here and there :x

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: Accidental post, but since I'm here anyway I finally got Project Diva 2nd. The graphics are fine on the vita, but its still hard to get used to the jaggies. It makes me appreciate Project Diva F's graphics so much more.

Roubjon

I remember someone saying that a lot of the songs are off sync with the notes in the game. Can anyone else attest to that? This basically makes it or breaks it for me, because I fucking love rhythm games, but I'm not so in love with Hatsune Miku to ignore something like sync issues. That's my biggest pet peeve in rhythm games. I really enjoyed the other two and I don't recall there being any major sync issues in them.

Also, another question: Are there any types of leader boards in this? That would really make me want to buy this.

EDIT: And holy crap. Is the cheapest the game can be found $80 on play-asia? Damn, that's expensive. I don't import games too often, but whenever I've bought DJMAX Portable and other games it was like $60.

I remember someone saying that a lot of the songs are off sync with the notes in the game. Can anyone else attest to that? This basically makes it or breaks it for me, because I fucking love rhythm games, but I'm not so in love with Hatsune Miku to ignore something like sync issues. That's my biggest pet peeve in rhythm games. I really enjoyed the other two and I don't recall there being any major sync issues in them.

Also, another question: Are there any types of leader boards in this? That would really make me want to buy this.

EDIT: And holy crap. Is the cheapest the game can be found $80 on play-asia? Damn, that's expensive. I don't import games too often, but whenever I've bought DJMAX Portable and other games it was like $60.

i play with no sound effects and only a tiny one for scratches ..
If you don't understand , i play this game on the music only and i pushes the boutons on the right music notes .

For me there is no problem.

Also there are no leaderboards.

Roubjon

Hey, I have another question.

The second Project Diva had a greater number of challenging note charts than the first one did. Is Project Diva F a step up in difficulty from 2, or is it more of the same?

May16

I heard there was an editor in the PSP games that let you do something like make Miku videos or levels with MP3s right off your memory stick. Is that in the Vita game too? So I could like, make a music video with Miku dancing around to Lagwagon and Muse and stuff?

This might be the game of the eternity if that's true....

I heard there was an editor in the PSP games that let you do something like make Miku videos or levels with MP3s right off your memory stick. Is that in the Vita game too? So I could like, make a music video with Miku dancing around to Lagwagon and Muse and stuff?

You can do, the problem is that unless you can read Japanese it is completely impenetrable until someone translates the menu options.

That leads me onto a question I have for anyone that has tried the Edit Mode, is there any way to delete, undo, or modify anything you place onto the timeline at all? I spent at least an hour yesterday trying every button and option but I couldn't find any way to change or remove things without having to save after every good change and quit after every bad one - which is a nightmare when trying to work on note patterns.

Hey, I have another question.

The second Project Diva had a greater number of challenging note charts than the first one did. Is Project Diva F a step up in difficulty from 2, or is it more of the same?

i personaly think that extend had a more challenging song chart than diva 2
For me diva2Fis between diva 2 and diva extend in term of overall difficulty. a sort of middle ground

Edit mode: was always there and is there too .
You can use the songs in the game or some songs included ( that are not in the regular song list )

May16

You can do, the problem is that unless you can read Japanese it is completely impenetrable until someone translates the menu options.
So this thing lets you just make a new video or can I actually make a stage to play in too, and get a score for it?

Oh man, online sharing of this stuff would be bad ass.

So this thing lets you just make a new video or can I actually make a stage to play in too, and get a score for it?

Oh man, online sharing of this stuff would be bad ass.

You can make the PV (dancing, staging, etc) as well as gameplay to accompany it.

Sharing of edits is built in for Project DIVA f; previous games had you sharing the files and placing them into your memory stick manually.

May16

You can make the PV (dancing, staging, etc) as well as gameplay to accompany it.

Sharing of edits is built in for Project DIVA f; previous games had you sharing the files and placing them into your memory stick manually.

Holy shiz, thanks for the answer.

GAF, get on top of making some sweet levels. I wanna get into this and see what you've got :D

Top Bottom