• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have any of you stuck with your boycotts or have you caved?

Shrap

Gamers are notorious for failing to back up their boycotts. A good example of that is this classic:
modernwarfare2-boycott.png

After seeing that thread about the OP feeling shame for installing the Epic Game Store it made me remember how poor gamers are at sticking to their word.

So have any of you actually stayed true to your boycott? If not, why did you cave? I've boycotted two things - Epic Games Store and paid online (PS+/XBL/whatever Nintendo has). I have not and will not cave on these.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
I boycotted Sony for ten years following their rootkit debacle. I bought a kids’ CD player made by them, somewhat unthinkingly; but absolutely nothing else.

Eventually I decided it’d been long enough.

Not sure if I’m principled or just really good at holding a grudge.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Got food poisoning from Wendy's in 2008, haven't been back. Dave Thomas doesn't cut corners my ass.

Also threadless, I paid for expedited shipping, but they took over two weeks to even process my order before they shipped it and then told me to f*** off when I contacted customer service. Nice tees, but never again.

I haven't ever felt slighted by a video game studio or publisher, so no reason personally to boycott.

I was a little bitter at team17 for a while for demanding my team work overtime on the fourth of July to get their sh!t game out on time, but it's water under the bridge now.

Last edited:
I've stuck to my guns on the Epic store, Activision/Blizzard, and Riot. I did cave on EA though. My friend bought me Battlefront 2 last update cause he wanted to play with someone and I wasn't gonna be a dick and refuse to play.

sn0man

MS still won’t allow offline Xbox consoles. I still won’t buy an Xbox. It hurts because of Gears of War and Forza Motorsport but oh well. PS4 and Switch have been an okay Xbox substitute.

Nico_D

Boycott = when you are not supporting something you would want to support because of your personal or shared ideology. Not gonna last, 95 % of people will cave in because what people want, they will get.

"Boycott" = when you are not supporting something you wouldn't even want to support but publicly pretend you would've wanted to support for woke or other cred points.

Me, I don't consider myself boycotting anything. I either get it or don't for ideological reasons or not. I don't go with movements, hate bubbles and hive minds.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Fun thing with this MW2 boycott image is that only roughly 1/3rd caved in, based on the first image. The other 2/3rd are playing something else. Now we dont know what the other pages are looking like, but if 1000 of 1558 kept their boycott then it is still somewhat ok.

I havnt bought a game on Steam directly for like 3 years, as valve refused to give me a refund on a PES I bought.
My anger over fake screenshots on steam of the console versions.

Last edited:

Bridges

I don't really boycott games, I'll just skip them if they do something that irritates me (Spidey exclusivity in Avengers, for instance), but if they end up really cheap several years down the line and I still have interest I'll give it a go.

MS still won’t allow offline Xbox consoles. I still won’t buy an Xbox. It hurts because of Gears of War and Forza Motorsport but oh well. PS4 and Switch have been an okay Xbox substitute.
I don't understand this, it's definitely possible to use your Xbox offline so long as you aren't gamesharing.

Astral Dog

I swear to never touch a Ubisoft game again after playing Assasin Creed 3 and for the most part i stuck to that

Except with Mario and Rabbids wich is awesome 👌

Umbral

I haven’t purchased any EA games since ME2.

I almost forgot, I also don’t support Tomb Raider anymore after their Xbox exclusivity. I’m spiteful.

Last edited:

reksveks

Avengers cause of the stupid spiderman crap and then the reviews made it even easier for me to forget about it so it doesn't really feel like a boycott.

I don’t know, I’ve never really boycotted anything. I don’t play multiplayer games that hand out bans to players using exploits. I was ready to uninstall Siege when people were talking about handing out bans to the players that used the drone glitch during the M.U.T.E. Protocol event. Punishing players for the developers mistakes is just not okay. I guess that’s as close as I’ll get to boycotting things, but I don’t really consider it a boycott.

sn0man

I don't understand this, it's definitely possible to use your Xbox offline so long as you aren't gamesharing.
An Xbox is the first console of the big three MS Sony Nintendo (and only until we know more about PS5) that requires you to set it up online before you can play.

the xb1 needs all accounts to be set up as online accounts. The PS4 and switch will let you create accounts and never go online and just enjoy playing and saving your games.

MS had a grander vision of always online and to some extend backtracked; but the initial setup and every profile you create must be an online profile. If Microsoft shuts off the servers or stopped supporting an Xbox One then it would be a brick.

I’d be happy for them to reverse course but the digital edition and game pass tell me they won’t.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
For people who say boycotting doesn't work, you're missing the point. Some of us just don't want to support certain companies. We do this knowing full well it's unlikely to have an effect.

And yes I've done it three times and have stuck with it.

I used to slurp up all R6 Siege stuff. I bought every season pass, I bought credit packs, skins...it was all cosmetic and utterly pointless, but you know what? I wanted to support them. I must have spent $500 or more. If I had continued on my path, I could have seen myself spending thousands over its lifetime, no exaggeration. After the censorship fiasco I refused to pay for any more content and I haven't since. Not a dime. After they removed that #freehongkong WatchDogs 3 poster at Beijing's request, I refused to buy any Ubi games going forward, which I have also stuck to.

After the Blizzard blitzchung fiasco I deleted my Blizzard account and all the games in it, and have never looked back. I also bought Black Ops 4 used to make sure they didn't receive my money. After they censored the trailer for Cold War because it contained Tienanmen Square footage, I have decided not to buy Cold War at all, even used. It's hard because I'm a huge Treyarch fan, but it's really easy now that I block all threads about it, and all Youtube videos with Cold War content. I haven't seen a mention of it for months now so it's not even on my radar anymore. The temptation is totally gone.

Finally there's Epic - I've ignored all their free games and bought the ones I've wanted. I don't need China's money. No thank you.

Last edited:

KiteGr

Some of them release complete editions. WB has me trained to never get hype on an MK game until at least a year after release.
I do buy those, but the recent "aftermath" one from MK11 still had dlc after that edition.
...so I'm still waiting for a Komplete edition of MK11.

I've skipped Soul Calibur 6, Samurai Shodown 7, Street fighter 5 (i really hate that one), The recent Ark System games and Skull Girls.

I dont have a switch, but if i did, i would had been skipping Smash as well.

borborygmus

I never buy Ubisoft games. They make me feel dirty and everything about them is cynical. It's like a parody company and I don't understand how they continue to be successful when even their highest quality games have an inescapable shovelware feel. Years ago when I used to play their titles I'd always be left with an empty feeling after completing them, and I came to realize that this is why.

I make a mental note to avoid problematic things but I rarely outright boycott anything. Because I'm an adult and life is complicated I guess.

Bkdk

I never get into boycott, just so happen that I haven’t bought cod games in 11 years, haven’t bought Ubisoft games for longer than that and I did bought 1 collection from EA last year which is command and conquer collection.

Griffon

I found out I was boycotting Ubisoft games for this whole generation, but it wasn't on purpose, they just had nothing good for me.

notseqi

Nestle/Ubisoft/EA, going strong.
EA will come under review should they pull off a good Battlefield.

sn0man

I do buy those, but the recent "aftermath" one from MK11 still had dlc after that edition.
...so I'm still waiting for a Komplete edition of MK11.

I've skipped Soul Calibur 6, Samurai Shodown 7, Street fighter 5 (i really hate that one), The recent Ark System games and Skull Girls.

I dont have a switch, but if i did, i would had been skipping Smash as well.
Honestly you’re so right. MK11 aftermath pissed me off. Hopefully a PS5 complete version will arrive.

SF5 champion edition. What a joke of a release. So crap.

I will boycott companies for shitty practices and have no problem sticking to it. Pretty much every major corporation does something terrible, but there are some especially shitty businesses out there I'd rather not give my money to.

On the flipside I will go out of my way to support good businesses and companies I think are being in the lower percentile of shitty.

I’ve never boycotted anything in my life now that I think about it. I did avoid self checkouts at the store and always opted for normal checkouts where there is an employee doing the work. Mainly to put my foot down on automation over basic tasks that should go to a human. But my local Walmart recently got rid of most of the checkout isles and the two that are available don’t even have people there half the time. Forcing me to start accepting self checkouts.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I haven't bought an EA game since Titanfall 2 on release.

I have also never bought a single title on epic game store since the exclusive debacle, which is to say I own Fortnight before it went free 2 play

I also have never bought an Ubisoft game since Wildland's due to there full priced, multiple collectors editions, season passed full fledged store single player game with tacked on coop.

I unistalled the Blizzard launcher and cancelled my preorder of WC3 after that and intend to never go back.

Activision is also on my black list as are Bungie for Destiny 2

I find it surprisingly easy to stick to my guns, the great thing is all the games worth playing honestly are not effected by this at all, I just recently got back into the Yakuza series thanks to the sale on PSN... and am having too much fun again, Judgement would be my advice if you want to dive into the series without playing any prior titles, just don't do the dub they changed the tone of scenes to fit the localisers personal politics, while the Japanese sub retains the origenal intent (has two sub tracks, one for English following the tone shifts and one for the near literal Japanese translation).

All you have to do is make a decision and then not spend money based on that decision... it takes more effort to break it than not, I don't know why people have such an issue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom