• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever genuinely wanted a game to fail?

Kater

Banned
Elder Scrolls Online. Because I don't want Zenimax thinking that's an acceptable direction for the franchise.
That is a good reason to hate on it, though I think that both games, the SP TES games and the MMO will find their own audience in the end and will coexist.

No, and it sort of disturbs me when gamers outright want this to happen. Most often it takes passion and love to make a game no matter what kind of game it is. The fact that gamers would go so far to demean and beat down a developer to point of actually wanting them to fail depresses me.

What's so edgy about it? I don't expect the games I play to have a pallate moving simulator built into it and only one pathway to Colorado lol. It's a crap ripoff.

Elder Scrolls Online. Because I don't want Zenimax thinking that's an acceptable direction for the franchise.

^ This one. They have already fucked up the lore with contradictions (AKA The quest where an Argonian tells you that he is poisoned and needs you to get some antidote for it)

HeelPower

I was one of those really bitter that XIII was going to the freeedombox.
But I didn't want it to fail though.

Only game that I really wanted to flop though was Blops 2 because of my experiences with Blops 1. But we all know Cowadoody ain't gonna flop....yet

what was your experience like with blops 1 ? hateful online experience I bet.

Zabuza

Banned
Kinda feeling this way about Ryse to be honest. The cinematic QTE shit and the Pay to Win multi is a bad combo.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Personally, I can't think of any game I wanted to fail.

PlayStation All-Stars had some definite haters from the moment it was announced, though.

This was me! I don't know why, maybe my repressed Nintendo fan rose up, maybe I was disappointed they weren't using any real classic PS characters I actually grew up with besides Sir Daniel and Spike, or maybe I just felt it was sort of cheap...

However, in my defense, I actually purchased the game Day 1. I've never really played it much, though, it was kind of just alright...not the worse game ever, but not exactly a thrilling nostalgia trip.

watershed

Banned
I have wanted games to fail or be poorly received so that the developer would change their approach for future games or realize that this game isn't what the fanbase wants. I felt that way about Resi 5, Other M after playing it, and FF XIII after playing it.

DmC: Devil May Cry needed to fail to show Capcom that rebooting a series and spitting in the fans' faces doesn't work out. It may not have been a failure, but at least it failed to meet expectations. The game itself wasn't horrible, but the rationale behind it was unnecessary.

I know it's not realistic in the slightest, but if GTAV would have failed to break 90 on metacritic, I think I would have had to jump around and dance for a minute.
I used to love the series though.
Also, DmC, and Sony Smash Bros. [I've sorta regretted wishing them harm though]
But geeze, GTA needs a little rain to fall on them. For their own good.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
DmC admittedly but I'm not particularly proud of it

Just not what I wanted out of the franchise. So I'd hoped its failure would send that message to Capcom.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I still wish every day that World of Warcraft will actually die. Every time I hear about the subscription count dropping I pray that it keeps dropping.

I have lost 7 years to that fucking game and far too many friends to it as well.

Halo Reach, because I hated every minute of the campaign that I played. I got that shit a whole week early, too.

I don't think I got what I wanted. lol

spirity

Gotta agree here.

And in the MMO vein, I'm thinking Everquest Next. Its everyones darling right now, but I'm getting 'that' feeling about it even this early in development. Some things aren't right and alarm bells are ringing (not alluding to insider info btw). Watch this space.

HardRojo

Yep, Soul Calibur and the Ninja Gaiden franchise, I'm fine with trying to sell your game by using sex as a selling point (I actually know a friend who bought those beach volleyball games and the Vita one because of the touching minigame or w/e that was) but when you rely only on it and put features to highlight it... that's just trying too hard.

The Last of Us. Because it's derivitive, linear dogshit.
Fucking LOL! Whatever helps you sleep at night man.

While not actually failing, I do have wished that several games would get low scores on metacritic/gamerankings, and been happy when it happened.

Not because I have anything against the developers, but because people are still using those sites as arguments for how good a game is.

The shitty thing is the more I tend to hate a game the more successful it seems to get.

You're right, that is shitty.

You'd probably be happier if you stopped being mad at shit for things you can't control.

Oh yeah, and for other people's financial and artistic success.

apana

I have to admit, I do want to see some of these online only games fail. Well not fail, just not successful enough to cause any major changes.

TheOGB

Banned
I generally care for developers too much to seriously hope for that, but Zynga can burn in Hell
after the employees get decent jobs elsewhere

No, I think that wanting a game to fail just because I don't like it or agree with the specific direction it took is childish and absurd.

Slygmous

The Sim City reboot, just because I thought it was a significant step in the wrong direction. I have similar feelings about any forced-online single player games.

Makes me feel kinda petty though.

neohwa

Yes, let's have bad games be successful, then developers know they can get away with making bad games.

Smfh

"good" or "bad" is subjective. what you think is a bad game might be a good game for others. also I don't think any developer purposely make a bad game. if they see a game succeed they will only improve on it for the sequels. so even bad games can become good games, if they are successful.

neohwa

Yep, Soul Calibur and the Ninja Gaiden franchise, I'm fine with trying to sell your game by using sex as a selling point (I actually know a friend who bought those beach volleyball games and the Vita one because of the touching minigame or w/e that was) but when you rely only on it and put features to highlight it... that's just trying too hard.

Since when Soul Calibur and Ninja Gaiden rely on sex appeal? You mean Dead or Alive?

HardRojo

Since when Soul Calibur and Ninja Gaiden rely on sex appeal? You mean Dead or Alive?

Yeah Dead or Alive, I tend to mix them up quite often.
Boob commercials, boob jiggling Dualshock features, creepy minigames, beach volleyball...

Just to add to the thead: Had you asked me this question right after playing Assassin's Creed 3 I would have said that yeah, I wanted this franchise to die but AC4 seems to be trying to fix things and do them the right way so I'll wait and see.

Top Bottom