• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever genuinely wanted a game to fail?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's not an adult thing to wish it, I guess, but I *dearly* hope all of the mobile/F2P games of well-known franchises like Ace Combat Infinity, various Final Fantasy whachamacalit, or Breath of Fire fuckinggoddamnitdon'tcallit-6 to fail enormously.

Since when Soul Calibur and Ninja Gaiden rely on sex appeal? You mean Dead or Alive?

Soul Calibur does not "sexify" its female characters? Huh. News to me :p

Esura

Banned
No way.

Why would anyone actively want people's games to fail?

I used to feel exactly this way...until Capcom announced DmC. The only way that fans who wasn't down with the reboot could tell Capcom, "Yo! We don't like this shit!" in a meaningful way that would actually make Capcom second guess their direction is by boycotting it and hoping it fails. I know a lot of different people work on games and it must sucks to read stuff like this but it is what it is.

Anura

The only gaming related thing I have ever wished to fail was the Xbox One before the 180. Nothing good could have come from that BS

mrmickfran

Yes, Metal Gear Rising.

pXQ9NA2.gif

;)

finley83

Banned
Mafia 2. I loved the original, but after seeing how 2k completely disassembled that game for profit I really wanted to see it fail so a message would be sent. Still sad that there isn't a 'proper' version of the game as the developers intended.

DmC because Ninja Theorys Dante isnt cool at all hes just an asshole
every CoD known to man because it promotes kids acting like douchebags which the internet had enough of before CoD existed
hand holding games in general because why bother buying a videogame if the game plays itself

neohwa

Soul Calibur does not "sexify" its female characters? Huh. News to me :p

it really doesn't. in sc4 we get Hilde who is dressed in full armor, showing no skin at all! then the new female characters in sc5 are in full clothing too, just like any normal female person would.

No, I don't need to flog my ego with the negative experiences of others. If I don't like a game, I don't buy it or am open to discussion about it. Wishing failure on dozens of people who assuredly were trying to make a game people would enjoy comes off as vindictive and silly to me.

Minyobi

I can't say I have ever wanted a game to fail outside of a few knockoff mobile games.
That said, I want Knack to fail because Cerny-GAF is beyond creepy.

Okay, not really.

BajiBoxer

Banned
it really doesn't. in sc4 we get Hilde who is dressed in full armor, showing no skin at all! then the new female characters in sc5 are in full clothing too, just like any normal female person would.
Until their clothes start flying off during battle. Not to mention the breasts seem to get bigger every sequel. I think the added breast physics now too.

Dahbomb

DmC the thread.

I was not one of them because a DmC failing insanely bad would put a lid on the series. But plenty of fans wanted it to bomb hard.

Vire

Probably Dead Space 3.

Only game to ever actually get me legitimately angry in the direction they took the series.

giapel

Assassin's Creed 4. So that Ubi can either let go of the franchise, or bring it back to the original vision. Not gonna happen though

nacimento

Some phone games of cool series, in order to stop the idea that everything has to go mobile.

The new Syndicate (and XCOM until they announced Enemy Unknown), because it succeeding would send a harmful message to publishers that destroying strategy series is good. And because of 2K's CEO interview of "turn-based is dead".

I think it's reasonable to want to see games that could direct the industry in a "wrong" path fail.

pa22word

DmC is pretty much the only thing that comes to mind. Most times I can sorta see why and can understand why such streamlining and changes occur (franchise is selling poorly and needs to do better, reboot/remake/long past due sequel, etc), but DMC4 was the best selling title in the series by a wide margin. The series was showing signs of growth, not decay. So when capcom decides it wants to reboot the series it felt completely unnecessary, and then ninja theory and their mouthpiece comes out and takes a shit on everyone who was a fan of the older titles with such hubris, it became impossible for me not to want to see the game burn a fiery death. Seeing it end up selling what, ~40% of what DMC4 did was great. Seeing reviews praise it while being admittedly ignorant of the series gameplay and try and strawman everything under the way dante looked was pretty pathetic, though.

neohwa

Until their clothes start flying off during battle. Not to mention the breasts seem to get bigger every sequel. I think the added breast physics now too.

when you fight armors are supposed to be destroyed. this is what improvement to games are about. it adds realism and only can be achieved by more powerful systems. same to breast/head/arms/legs physics. these all have nothing to do with sex appeal.

as for breasts getting bigger, who do you mean? people in soul calibur get older, so naturally that part can get bigger too.

I want a slew of reviews to come out for the next Bethesda game that say no more than,

"LEARN HOW TO ANIMATE."

That'd make me wee.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Every 3DS -> WiiU rehash. Yes. Super mario bros Wii U and Super Mario 3D World, I'm looking at you.

Timmy00

DmC kinda. I hated seeing how they just threw the old universe away and gave DMC to a sub-par developer. The game turned out average but the new Dante is still one of the worst characters I've seen in a game. I also don't like how Ninja Theory treated DMC and its fanbase.

Liamario

Banned
Every 3D sonic. They're just not at the standard that they should be or could be. So, I want them to sell horribly until they wake up and make a game to 3D Mario standard. The new one seems to be heading in the right direction.

Toxi

Banned
Metroid: Other M, but only after I bought and played it and realized what a mess it was. :(

That sort of situation was a catch 22. If Other M succeeded, Nintendo would understand that as a demand for shitty shallow "cinematic" Metroid games. If it failed, Nintendo would assume that gamers just don't like Metroid. Since Other M sold poorly, Nintendo probably won't make more abominations like it, but they also probably won't continue my favorite Nintendo series.

Why is she wearing Jotaros hat?
Look at Akainu's avatar.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
when you fight armors are supposed to be destroyed. this is what improvement to games are about. it adds realism and only can be achieved by more powerful systems. same to breast/head/arms/legs physics. these all have nothing to do with sex appeal.

as for breasts getting bigger, who do you mean? people in soul calibur get older, so naturally that part can get bigger too.

Are you really arguing this for a series that contains Ivy and Taki...?

Not as egregious as Dead or Alive, of course, but arguing that Soul Calibur series do not use sex appeal is... I don't know, naive?

Anyways, this is off-topic.

Xilium

Games extremely popular among the dudebro demographic tend to get the most animosity in this regard (CoD, AC, ect.). Also, DmC earlier this year got ALOT of that.

For me personally, it's not so much that I want them to fail but I'm really tired of the extremely exaggerated praise that a some of indie and/or mobile games have been getting these past 2 years (Gone Home, Brothers, and Papers Please being the most recent in the past couple of months). The next generation can't start soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

daniels

Probably your favorite game YES YOURS! oh and DmC besides the toned down gameplay and the shit hateable characters like asshole dante, hacker (lol) vergil and spunky useless sidekick its also the definition of "Guys! Hey guys! GUYS!! AM I COOL YET???" sooo bad.

I still wish every day that World of Warcraft will actually die. Every time I hear about the subscription count dropping I pray that it keeps dropping.

I have lost 7 years to that fucking game and far too many friends to it as well.

Can't exactly blame a video game for that.

The more I learned about Sim City 4's DLC and sloppy implementation, the more I wanted it to fail.

Also related, I didn't want Castlevania: Mirror of Fate to fail (I tried the demo and didn't like it enough to buy it) but I do resent its existence. It confirms with depressing finality that handheld Metroidvania is gone and never coming back.

Of course, this all goes back to not letting Lords of Shadow be a new IP.

Every 3DS -> WiiU rehash. Yes. Super mario bros Wii U and Super Mario 3D World, I'm looking at you.
I'm torn in wanting them to be *good* so there's still high quality Mario games out there and wanting them to underperform or at least get mixed reception to dissuade Nintendo from being so safe with the franchise.

I guess the only time when I actively want something to fail is when it's blatantly ripped off from another developer, like War Z.

Top Bottom