• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever genuinely wanted a game to fail?

Feorax

Agree with everyone that has said Call of Duty.

I've also gone from being extremely hyped about Watch_Dogs to wanting it to flop horribly in the space of 12 months, mosty because of how Ubisoft has tried to force it down our throats at every opportunity just because they sensed the gaming community was excited about the concept. You can already see that it's going to be the next Assassins Creed, marketed to death with annual installments that slowly decline in quality until the next new hotness comes along...

KemoSabe

Every f2p game or call of duty since modern warfare 2 and casual games for nongamers like singstar and all dance games.
Get the fuck away from my hobby, you're destroying it...

linkent

Skyrim

Nominated and Won GOTY even tho it is not released yet.

Beating Dark Souls (The obvious GOTY >.<)

Also i tried really hard to like this game but it combats bored me to death..

Skyrim retroactively for the PS3 desaster. Customers and reviewers were much too soft on Bethesda for this.

Remember the Mass Effect 3 outcry? Yup, that should have happened for Skyrim PS3. I wish people would have raised hell for Bethasda, showering them with complaints, refund requests and probably even lawsuits. Practially force Bethesda to apologize and offer a refund for all PS3 customers. But people were too soft on them, Bethesda was able to sit it out. It's a shame, really.

And THIS!!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
DmC Devil May Cry.

DmC like a mother fucker.

this is a DmC thread

Aaaaaaaaaaand DmC.

What a shitty, shitty way of completely ruining one of the best franchises of all time. Ruined by this fool:

Cwn1DkN.png

sonny21004

Neo Member
Yep...

-Killzone
-Every CoD after Black Ops...
...especially Ghosts
-Gran Turismo 6
-Any game for Kinect/Playstation Eye/Move

Red Dead. Anyone who likes that game likes story over gameplay. And if you like story over gameplay, then why are you playing games? Watch TV or a movie.

Of all the games to pick on for putting story before gameplay, you pick RDR. Fucking crazy. I have friends that never even played the story, the game is a giant Western sandbox and the online nails that feeling 100%.

With something like Bioshock Infinite or Last of Us I can understand that feeling, you're bottlenecked into situations and kept on a firm leash.

RDR however just lets you go crazy, skies the limit. The story is always there if you want it, but it's not anvil holding you back.

Seriously, what a crazy choice and reason to want a game to fail. lol.

Horp

I don't want CoD:Ghosts to fail big time, but I really don't want it to sell extremely well. I don't want any more developers getting the idea that annual franchises that spend 40% (exaggeration) of the games budget on marketing, and shamelessly rehashing gameplay and presentation, is the way to go.

No, why would I give a shit what someone wants to buy or enjoy? I'll stick to worrying about my own life.
The logic is so basic that I'm baffled you don't get it, really.

Say you like oranges. You LOVE oranges. The stores sell apples and oranges. But suddenly, apples sell so much better than oranges that some stores are starting to be a bit smart about it: "let's focus on apples from now on".
In the stores you start seeing that the apples come in tons of different sorts and tastes; all very fresh and lovely. But damnit, the oranges are just available in a single type, and it's that sour type that you don't like as much. A year later there are no oranges at all. Too bad for you.
Get it?

iMerc

no.
anyone who wants games to 'fail' are idiots.
the ramifications of a game failing on the dev team (and thus the employees) behind it, the market it is contributing to, and the overall health of an industry and company can be staggering.

fuse flopped; goodbye free radical.
udraw on ps360 flopped; goodbye thq
darksiders; vigil

etc etc.

every bit of success a title experiences contributes to the health of this industry.
if you don't like a game or the genre it is servicing, then ignore it.

wanting it to 'fail' is a giant sign of your immaturity & inability to comprehend people have different tastes.

Horp

no.
the ramifications of a game failing on the dev team (and thus the employees) behind it, the market it is contributing to, and the overall health of an industry and company can be staggering.

darksiders; vigil

etc etc.

every bit of success a title experiences contributes to the health of this industry.

wanting it to 'fail' is a giant sign of your immaturity & inability to comprehend people have different tastes.

The success of COD changed the landscape of FPS games forever. It used to be Quake and UT you know. I loved Quake and UT. They don' make em' like they used to, ya kno?

junglist

The only games I would like to see fail are the half assed rushed games full of bugs. If the developers are so fast to push out a shitty game then they do not deserve my money.

Seanspeed

Banned
no.

darksiders; vigil

etc etc.

Getting out the judgement stick fairly quickly here man. Why not try and address some of the more reasonable posts here?

A lot of people are simply upset with the direction a franchise has head in and simply want them to get back on course. Sometimes that might involve a failure. Something that doesn't cripple them, but does set them straight on what people actually want. Resident Evil would be one for me. I would have loved it if RE6 turned out to be a bust. It wouldn't sink the company, but it might show them that people *don't* prefer the sort of game they've been pushing out lately.

Or take Nintendo for instance. The Wii U doing so bad could well change their approach in the future in regards to hardware, online connectivity and catering to 3rd parties.

Johnson81

Neo Member
Why would anyone want a game to bomb?

Exactly. I think this is pretty poor to want a game to fail, especially for games that are meant to be proper games. The only games I hate and want to fail are games designed to get as much money out of you as possible. This is mainly iOS & Android titles but this is slowly creeping into full games such as Dead Space. I can only see this getting worse next gen.

Moff

Why would anyone want a game to bomb?

oh thats not hard to understand.
there are certain trends in gaming right now which are considered bad by some players. of course these players dont want these games to succeed because that would mean more games like this will be produced and even other franchises as well as new franchies might follow these trends.

thats why we want bad games to fail

Marvel

could never
No that's just mean... it's a lot of peoples livelihood and dreams being destroyed when studios and and their games fail. I wouldn't wish that on others.

FYC

Banned
SimCity sells over 1.1 million copies in two weeks, biggest SimCity launch ever

I don't necessarily think people want the game to fail, so much as they wanted a clear message being sent that consumers won't stand for these kinds of practices. The most effective way for the message of consumer disenfranchisement to be delivered would be via poor sales. However, I don't necessarily think the end goal would be to see EA rot and Maxis close (at least not everyone feels this way).

I think ideal circumstance would have been launch sales underperforming with the prevailing reason being cited as "disdain of DRM." Release an update that removes the DRM and fixes some of the fundamental problems people are finding with the title, and I think most would probably be happy to give it a second chance, here.

Of course, I realize a lot of this is kind of pie-in-the-sky, but I just want to make it clear that I don't think that people are clamoring for a studio shut down just because they don't care for the DRM.

danmaku

god what a depressing thread of hate. I'll be sure to preorder Ninja Theorys next game asap. DmC kicked ass

I'm SO glad the stupid music genre has died in the ass, that whole thing for 2 years took up way too much time on my podcasts. I couldn't care less about them.

god what a depressing post of hate. I'll be sure to preorder next Guitar Hero game asap. GH kicked ass.

Razma1

DmC.

Skyrim just because everything swore Oblivion was the best thing since sliced bread.

Wouldn't mind seeing CoD drop some sales so they have to really innovate besides adding a dog.

Anything Bioware does anymore after DA2 and pick a color ending 3.

Guitar Hero so it wouldn't over saturate the market but it happened and died anyways.

War Z.

Companies who port to PC with the prompts in the form of 360 buttons.

8bit

Knows the Score
Where's My Water 2.

The original game is my favourite iOS game; I've got countless hours of enjoyment out of it, and I bought all the DLC packs.

The second game finally arrives, and it uses a really shitty F2P model that limits how much you can play each day unless you pay (and you have to keep paying; it's not like a one-off payment removes the restriction permanenty). And even if you decide to play only within the limitations, I'm told that there's a point where you require 3 keys to pass, and to get each key, you have to either share some shit on Facebook, or pay money.

I'm not spending a penny on this game, and I hope it bombs. Ironically, if it weren't F2P, I would happily hand over a stupid amount of money for it; say £10-£15.

Really? I loved it on Android, completed all DLC and weekly puzzles but if it's that bad I guess I'll be avoiding it.

Anteater

Not really, but I do wish people would be more informed before making a purchase decision, I hate seeing a large amount of people complain about how shitty a sequel is but yet the same game sold better than its predecessors, or selling millions, just because everyone is buying it on the name alone.

If everyone is enjoying it, I think it's fair.

DmC
Anything from Capcom that isn't AA, MH, or MM.
Everything EA
Zinga
Almost everything f2p, even if Valve nails it.

yeah, that's pretty much it, I don't "like" some games, but that doesn't mean I don't want them to fail.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Only once: Resident Evil 6

First RE I haven't bought since 1996! Hate everything is stands for and I'm glad that it pretty much failed.

JDSN

Banned
Most people want a game to fail because they dont like the direction a team is heading and fear the posibility of finding success there. With that in mind I used to want Watch_dogs to fail but ive seen that Ubisoft is practically the only third party publisher that has learned that not every games needs to be a $60 trillion seller and is branching out with games like Rayman and Call to Juarez.

I hope Donkey Kong flops so Retro can move on to anything different. Nintendo's coming orgy of platformers is just a reflection of team managers asking their crews "Which product can we produce faster?, they will most likely be good, but put them next to each other and you can see thats its derivative and redundant stuff. Which is a damn shame because they are failing to create a successful environment to their more interesting stuff like TW101 and X.

Flanimal Lover

Neo Member
Wow i can see this thread has turned into a wet dream for the kind of people who wear long sleeve shirts under short sleeve shirts under long sleeve shirts.

Anyway the only game i genuinely wish failed is The War Z. I mean the production and release of that game was wrong on so many levels.

Saints Row! I love GTA and I just look at it as a cheap rip off.

Even tried to play them and just can't get into them, it feels so cheap compared to GTA. In my eyes it did FAIL!

TnK

Every single MGS game after MGS4. MGS4 was a huge disappointment, and the series should have ended with kojima making other projects, but sadly, all we got was more MGS, and they were not good.

That being said, I think that MGS having a fresh spin like MGRR is a welcome change, till now MGRR was my favorite game I played this year.

Shiggy

I don't want them to fail but I would feel kinda relieved if Nintendo's current offerings failed because they just scream "laziness" all over the place.

Mman235

Seems it's the most popular choice so I'll just add to the DmC mentions. For a start, DMC4 was the best selling game in the series (and probably still is) so a reboot was completely unnecessary and was a transparent attempt to chase after the biggest audiences. Then the developers showed utter contempt for the fanbase who made the series a success in the first place. While not Capcom's fault (though it was so pervasive it makes you wonder...) journalists "You only care because he doesn't have white hair!" shit didn't help at all. I don't really see the series recovering and if DmC was a success it would likely just lead to more unnecessary reboots, so I consider it failing a nice sign that that you can only shit on your fanbase so much before they turn on you.

There's been plenty of other games I've been ambivalent about, but that's the only time I've genuinely thought a game failing is for the better (at least among games that had any chance of success in the first place, which cuts out crap like War Z and rape games).

Edit: I guess Dead Space 3 is close, but I only got a good idea of how it was recently, so that's more a case of being retroactively fine with that game failing.

Edit 2: Sim City as well, which is another game that showed contempt for it's fanbase in the design choices it made.

Oh god, so many!

• Any MMO blatant spin-off for a traditionally offline RPG, that insists it's a "proper/real" mainline entry in the series. (FFXI, FFXIV, DQX, etc.)
  • Anything that ships broken or unplayable. (Skyrim on PS3. Never buying anything Besethda again.)
  • Any mainline entry for a core game that's f2p/mobile/browser-based
  • CoD/Killzone/Battlefield/endless stream of shooters.
  • Any game that locks a retarded portion of itself as DLC
  • XIII-2 and XIII-3. SE is dragging a dead horse with these games and they should not be rewarded with money. If this leads to those teams being disseminated then so be it. Clearly those employees could be put to better use on projects that are actually worthwhile, under competent management.

There are lots of games released today that absolutely do not deserve to have been green-lit, or to break even once on shelves. I hope the market starts backfiring on these types of rifraf titles.

EGM1966

I'd love to say no but I have to say I wasn't upset to see Dead Space 3 struggle because I feel it sent a positive message around trying to bend genres that simply can't support 5 million unit sales until they aren't true to their goals anymore.

I also didn't shed a tear at SE response to Tomb Raider becuase the industry will be unsustainable if developers can't balance cost/return right and deliver titles like that and again I saw it as a positive lesson - if you can't be profitable selling that many units you messed up.

So I'd never want something to fail per se but I do think there are times it a positive failure for the industry overall.

Yes, Megaman 9. At that time Sega was releasing Sonic Unleashed with a huge budget and Capcom made this low effort, nostalgia BS instead of giving Megaman full HD treatment (3D megaman, Great graphics, TPS).

People call me all sorts of stuff, I got a couple of Warnings at Gamefaqs, couple with a massive Karma loss because of how blunt I was. But I just though that if the game succeeded Capcom will never put Megaman in the front lines along with Street Fighter and Resident Evil again.

MYE

DmC Devil May Cry.

Mainly because it tried to turn the series into something that it wasn't. It was a decent game in the end, but Ninja Theory's Dante is a horrible character.

I KNEW this was gonna be the first reply lol
Christ...

You're right, that is shitty.

You'd probably be happier if you stopped being mad at shit for things you can't control.

Oh yeah, and for other people's financial and artistic success.

Exactly. He is such an obnoxious poster. Everything sucks so i don't have any idea why he likes gaming as a hobby.

I don't want any games to fail, if I don't like games I don't buy them, but I don't derive pleasure from others failing or losing their jobs.

Top Bottom