• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever given up on a game completely...at the final boss?

Phreak47

Not a final boss, closest to this I can remember was giving up on an early boss in Devil May Cry 3. One of those ones that had multiple fuckers swarming you.

Qwyjibo

Rocky Rodent for SNES
- This is when I was young and obviously there were no save files or anything. I found the game to be fairly difficult and finally made it to the final boss after many attempts. I died and it was basically a "Fuck that, not worth trying again" moment.

This almost happened to me more recently with Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker for 3DS. Almost. The final battle was infuriating. I had to put the game down for about a week before going back to it and trying again a couple times before finally finishing it off.

phant0m

I almost threw in the towel (and controller) at the last fight in Quantum Break. It was just so long and some of the insta-kill attacks weren’t telegraphed as to what you were supposed to do.

I stuck it out though and beat it, promptly uninstalled it from my console.

wvnative

Guys I have a question that might help me out with mech assault.

Is it true that PS2/gamecube/xbox have increased input lag when playing on a modern tv? Could my TV be fucking up the QTEs in mech assault 2?

All the time. If there's nothing more to see, I couldn't care less about beating it. I got Metroid:Samus Returns from Gamefly. I just yesterday got to
Ridley
. I tried beating it four times, my hands ache. I popped that sucker out of the 3ds and into the envelope to return it. I already had enough of the repetitive boss battles, but knowing that there's nothing more means I have no reason to continue hurting my hands fighting a ten minute battle repeatedly.

And no, I will not play Cuphead. Boss battles are the worst form of gameplay.

Vargas

One of the Mario and Luigi games. The battles just drag on and on and on, just couldnt take it anymore and I gave up.

The Force Unleashed. The Emperor wasn't really hard, but that fight was the culmination of everything I hated about that game and I couldn't bring myself to waste any more time on it.

Exuro

Odallus. Cannot beat the final boss and I'm kind of annoyed by that. Might look up some videos to see how to go about it.

I almost gave up on FFXII. The final boss isnt hard, but I ran a double Berserk setup to burn things down. When he went physical immune I literally had no way to damage him and he killed my whole team.

Aggie CMD

Mischief Makers on the Nintendo 64. It was just too hard!

NINTENDO64--Mischief%20Makers_Sep7%200_07_06.png

leroidys

Guys I have a question that might help me out with mech assault.

Is it true that PS2/gamecube/xbox have increased input lag when playing on a modern tv? Could my TV be fucking up the QTEs in mech assault 2?

Absolutely. The main culprit is usually the upscalers processing the SD image so that it will fill up the HD screen, but LCDs just have additional lag inherently compared to CRTs.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I've done this a few times. Usually it's not because it is too hard but because I realize I can beat it and then I lose interest. I like the challenge. It's really weird and hypocritical though cause I like to play on normal or easy... Zero sense made!

Yeah, I got to the final boss of the Romancing SaGa remake for the PS2 and I had clearly done something wrong. I don't know if I missed opportunities in my playthrough or what, but my party was barely able to scratch the final boss and because of the way it works there was no non-tedious way that I could find to get stronger to do it.

FightTest

I got bored of Breath of the Wild and quit just as I was entering the final castle area. Ran into the Lynel guard and just didn't feel like it. Did all the dungeons and a bunch of side stuff beforehand and just felt burned out. Tried to pick it back up a few months later and couldn't find any interest.

Not quite the final boss, but i gave up on Final Fantasy VI right before the end, when the party splits up and you invade the tower.
Found out my party was way underleveled (wasn't bothering to level up characters I didn't use), which made that last part virtually impossible. Didn't want to go back and grind for hours and hours.

Stainless

I quit Adventures of Van Helsing 2. Played quite a bit of it but at a point where I have to activate these 3 levers to allow this big cog to be damageable. The stupid levers are finicky as hell to activate, you have to position your character on JUST the right part of the screen for the "L2" prompt to appear. Add to that there are mobs of monsters like in Diablo just chasing and ganking you the whole way around while you're trying to activate the levers, and it quickly becomes a mess.

Finally activate those three levers to allow the boss/contraption thing to be vulnerable. It starts at like 200k health and I can get it all the way down to like 2k after cycling through and doing the levers 3 or 4 times because obviously the stupid thing is only vulnerable for a short period of time before you have to go back and activate the levers again, but basically I am still constantly get murdered...then the health starts increasing on the device and it gets harder and harder. I beat the first game without too much difficulty. I'm playing this 2nd game on CASUAL, am leveling up my avatar and avatar companions' skills, weapons, gear etc. and I was SO close to getting it and REALLY wanted to finish the game, but it got me so frustrated I just gave up and uninstalled it

Shifty

I got bored of Breath of the Wild and quit just as I was entering the final castle area. Ran into the Lynel guard and just didn't feel like it. Did all the dungeons and a bunch of side stuff beforehand and just felt burned out. Tried to pick it back up a few months later and couldn't find any interest.

I find myself in this exact situation with every open-world game. So much side content that the main stuff falls by the wayside and never gets done because I burn out before getting to it.

In fact BotW is the sole exception to that rule so far because I've finally become cognizant of it, but it wound up with me finishing the game and coming off it super bummed because I was so fucking tired of the whole thing. Far from the grand victory that it should have been...

LazyGuysStudio

Neo Member
Given up? No. Stop playing the game and will get back to it? Yes. It happens to me quite a lot. When I can't pass a mission I tend to close the game and get back to it later on.

theHFIC

i quit God of War: Ascension during that elevator level towards the end. Never played something so frustrating. Capped off a game that rubbed me the wrong way the whole time playing up until then.

Both Wolfie New Order & the first Infamous. They were somehow stupidly difficult, and I couldn't care to complete them.

Also do Destiny fail raid attempts count?
Also Vermintide cata runs when I was low level.

PooBone

Last boss of Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

Just a big stupid not-fun monster. I said fuck this and uninstalled it after dying a few times.

PaulBizkit

Batman Forever for the SNES

hqdefault.jpg

No passwords, no continues. Tried to rack up as many lives as I could but the final boss was just too hard.

Meanwhile, The Adventures Of Batman & Robin was such a great game that I had no problem dying and starting over.

ChuyMasta

Smash bros Wii U. Classic mode on hardest difficulty.

After each defeat the dificulty level goes down. If you still suck, the game denies you access to the last 3 bosses/challenges and the credits roll.

Thats a no for me dog.

nowhat

Late to the party but as the thread seems still to be going - Skyward Sword. First of all, I didn't care for the game that much (it's okay - I may be in the minority, but I liked Twilight Princess much more), and the fighting motion controls felt somewhat forced and not that fun all the way. But the final fight, I just gave up. It wasn't that hard, mind you, but I just found the controls required for it to be so annoyingly imprecise I gave up in frustration after a little while.

Could I have got better results had I been standing up and trying to play out the scene larping as Link? Perhaps, but it is not what I want from a game.

epicnemesis

One of the Mario and Luigi games, I don’t remember which one and I don’t remember what made the boss hell. But fuck that boss.

Dunki

Star Ocean 4. I actually enjoyed the game up until the final boss. And yeah maybe I was a bit underleved and yeah maybe i sucked at this game BUT. This shit was the worst.

I had to fight for like an hour boss enemy using allmost all my items and even characters. And then when you think it is over. You get into a nother zone just to fight the final boss with NO save screen in between. I think i tried this 5 times wasting so much hours and would have been prob better to actually grind but FUCK THIS....

I gave up after 35 hours of enjoying this strange game....

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I almost did with Drakengard 3 true final boss but I was too stubborn to stop and I had to see for myself how the story ends.

Velius

Banned
Not quite the final boss, but i gave up on Final Fantasy VI right before the end, when the party splits up and you invade the tower.
Found out my party was way underleveled (wasn't bothering to level up characters I didn't use), which made that last part virtually impossible. Didn't want to go back and grind for hours and hours.

Get the Experience Egg from the tomb and go here.
ss3.jpg

Watch your party swell

Cygnus X-1

Yes, I did with Totally Rad (NES) and Battletoads (NES) - somehow I felt a sense of accomplishment anyway and I gave up, but it happened rarely and mostly on the NES, where saving was a thing of the future ha!

MDSLKTR

Strider 2014, my game glitched at the boss final form so I either had to redo the whole checkpoint or give up and YouTube the ending.

Smasher89

Was gonna write ffXII revenant wings, apparently grinding the different characters make a boss stronger, remember having full super meter, max units on screen against just the bossunit and still getting wiped, but seemingly from what ive heard its not the final boss.

So I've got another, the nes zapper game Gumshoe, ive lost a number of times against the final boss, looked it up last year and it was definitly the final part of that game, thought just hitting him with the gun multiple times were the way to go, but more then 50 hits didnt do it.

Good god, no. Reading about it is actually driving me nuts. You came so far...but I guess it just depends on the personality of the gamer.

Witcher 3, I didn't go in prepared at all and I literally can't damage the boss, it's not so much I've totally gave up, I want to replay them all as I've only ever played 3 but just never got round to it

For me, I bailed on Final Fantasty VII right at the end boss as I was way too under levelled to tackle it and I didn't have a save that I could go back to and grind to a sufficient level. I ended up watching the final cinematic on YouTube.

And I almost bailed on Blood and Wine for The Witcher 3. I had spec'd Geralt with feline light armour, which was fine for the entirety of the main game but was completely useless during the final boss. It was just fortunate that I had some heavy armour on me which made the final boss a bit of a cake walk (albeit after an hour of frustration of trying with my standard light armour spec). The incredibly long loading times on the PS4 between failed attempts didn't exactly alleviate my frustration at the time :D.

Top Bottom