• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever given up on a game completely...at the final boss?

badboyyy

Yep yep and yeeeep, it was in Arc the Lad 2, this game is great compare with the first, but FINAL boss, godam it. I challenged him with my 99lvl crew, but he just slapped my team, 2-3 another tries, and my anger won, I just put on YT, and watched ending.

keidashxd

Pikmin 3, I enjoyed the game a lot but I hate final bosses that force you to play in a way you've never played the entire game...

joms5

Pikmin 3, I enjoyed the game a lot but I hate final bosses that force you to play in a way you've never played the entire game...

Although I beat this boss, it brought down the entire game for me. That boss fight sucked.

Fallout: New Vegas for me.

Worst part was I didn't have a manual save from any recent point so I would have lost a couple hours of progress if I went back. Sucked.

Tried everything I could against him and just couldn't do it. Should have leveled more but who knew?

natjjohn

Wasn't even the final boss, but there was a part I had hit on Super Ghouls and Ghosts where I had to give the game the ol 'ef it and call it quits.

Believe it was teh second to last boss or third to last. Damn tried so many times but had to give it up

I've never permaquit a game on the boss, but I've totally sat a game down for a few hours when I find myself getting enraged at a game.

I got stuck in a dungeon in Lost Odyssey, I didn't want to use a guide, and I was like "I'll never be able to get out of this. Why is this like a maze? This isn't even a puzzle game or some Tomb Raider game" and I set the game down for like 2 months.

If I played enough to get to the last boss, I'm probably invested and want to see how it plays out. Or I quit long before the last boss.

SystemUser

Metroid Prime. I just didn't like the Metroid Prime fight. The rest of the game was so fun and then that thing was such let down. I didn't want to fight a dumb stationary boss and there was some other game I was itching to play which I don't even remember now. I guess it stuck with tradition where often the last boss in Metroid is the worst (I am talking about you Motherbrain).

ReBirFh

Jet Force Gemini. Not because I didn't like the game, I loved it and was able to collect all the Tribals (I think thats was their name) and looked everywhere for the white gear I saw on some official art.

But for some reason I was unable to get gud enough to beat the final boss, I probably missed some dumb thing while fighting him, I don't know.

Many times. I find no reason to waste time fighting a final boss that has game mechanics that are different from the game I was actually enjoying playing.

Mantorok

The first Metroid Prime. Once I realised it was going to take more than half an hour each time getting my arse kicked I put it away for about a year before eventually committing to it. It really pissed me off at the time. Boss fights that require that much investment shouldn't be allowed.

Link1110

Lunar Legend. Final boss kept killing me. I tried a strategy where two characters attacked every turn, one used the full heal spell every turn and one restored his mp. Still got killed, and not cause I ran out of mp restoring items either. As soon as that happened I was done.

Paulxo87

Ninja Gaiden for the nes. Could never kill off the final boss as a child. And having to restart from the very beginning of the level? Fuck that

Maddrical

Killzone 2. The game is repetitive as fuck, was playing on hard, and the final boss was irrtating: rage quited after dying a lot.

Radec was an infuriating fight. Very rewarding to complete though.

My dad wasn't a gamer by any means, the only game I can remember him playing to the end was Return to Castle Wolfenstein and he could not kill the final boss, just couldn't do it. So he made me do it while he watched haha.

rolandss

Not final boss but gave up on the Witcher III blood and wine dlc on like the second boss. It's been a case of save game being right in the mix of the fight, having put it down for a whole out of frustration, and trying to come back to it and being goofy with the controls.

I gave up Baten Kaitos at the final boss of disc 1 because I was underleveled and the only way to grind was to fight this one soldier over and over and I just didn't feel like it

Don't think I liked the game enough tbqh

SonicSleuth

The final boss in Killzone 2 was the absolute worst - single shot kill, disappeared, even teleported, I think. Just ridiculously unfair and flat out dumb.

I did stick it out and beat him, but I think it was like four hours of replays. :(

When I first played Dark Souls 3, I got to the final boss and stopped because I was afraid of "locking" myself out of the DLC like what had happened with Bloodborne. I wasn't sure if I would need access to a specific area to play the DLC. When I found out that wasn't the case months later, I wen't back to beat it but I was so out of sync with the game, I just stopped.

Radec was an infuriating fight. Very rewarding to complete though.

My dad wasn't a gamer by any means, the only game I can remember him playing to the end was Return to Castle Wolfenstein and he could not kill the final boss, just couldn't do it. So he made me do it while he watched haha.

The final boss in Killzone 2 was the absolute worst - single shot kill, disappeared, even teleported, I think. Just ridiculously unfair and flat out dumb.

I did stick it out and beat him, but I think it was like four hours of replays. :(

Killzone 2. The game is repetitive as fuck, was playing on hard, and the final boss was irrtating: rage quited after dying a lot.

Actually Radec was easy. :) And I finished the game on Elite difficulty. https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/45-killzone-2/Mujjahideen

If you just used the flamethrower you would immobilize him for a few seconds and could give him a lot of damage with your secondary weapon, then just repeat.

EricB

The original Blaster Master on the NES. I got to the final boss several times, but could never beat it. That was 30 years ago. *Sigh....

Yeah, this one stings for me too. Usually you’d get good enough at a game (especially a game as great as this) with repeated playthroughs and it was just a matter of time before finally, often through pure chance, you’d beat the boss. With Blaster Master, I couldn’t even reliably reach the last level, and I only got to the boss a handful of times.

bbylean

Neo Member
I wouldnt say given up completely but I co-op'd the shit out of Orphan of Kos in Bloodborne. I don't need that kind of frustration

JimboJones

Final Fantasy III on the DS, dying on the last boss and having to traverse the whole last dungeon and fight pretty difficult mini bosses was too much of a chore. I think there was at least 2 forms of the last boss to beat aswell.

Bioshock Infinite.

BioShock Infinite is my GOAT but that last fight needed to be designed and tuned completely differently. Another month or two of dev time was required to polish sections like that IMO.

If you have an incorrectly spec'd Booker, the fight can be quite challenging on the harder difficulty levels. Plus it's just not that fun. The final area isn't well designed for high mobility and fast combat either which can be frustrating. It also makes the mistake of introducing brand new game mechanics (Songbird) into the boss fight. I usually only play up to that point in the game whenever I replay it, even though I find it to be a bit of a cake walk now.

Mentaur

Neo Member
Two games spring to mind:

as previously mentioned, Xenogears. I took a week off between two jobs to sit in a dark room and finish this game. I got into what had to be the end game and after 80-90 hours I still felt underpowered for a particular fight and just couldn't get past it. As I recall it was something to do with being a bigger gear and I was never really on top of the strategy for that. I decided I couldn't do it and that actually I was done with the game.

Resident Evil : Code Veronica on the Dreamcast - there was a fight on a plane as I remember, and I just didn't have enough ammo to take out the boss. It's not the sort of game where you can go back and search for ammo so I just didn't know what to do. I had to give up or load a save from earlier if there was one and play carefully. I was done. Since then I hoard ammo in survival horror games!

bloomorte

Not completely, but I couldn't beat the Shredder from TMNT3 (NES). Sometimes I try, but I'm usually low on lives when I get there.

Vitten

Jet Force Gemini will forever be that one game I didn't finish.

After all the trouble of collecting those stupid teddy bears hidden in every level which you needed to access the final area, the last boss Mizar just kept kicking my ass over and over with that stupid lazer sweeping move. His laser attack always had a different speed as it swept from side to side and it was very hard to get the timing right to jump over it without being hit. Even being grazed shortly by the lazer ate away your energy like nothing.

Couple that with a very short window where he could actually be hurt when he turned his back to you and flew away and you have all the ingredients for an incredibly frustrating experience.

raduque

Yes. I gave up at the final boss of Resident Evil Revelations. The mechanics are super simple, but I just can't get the timing down.

Zimmy68

Bioshock Infinite.

You are joking, right?

Is there even a final boss in this?

Are you talking about the ship fight with the bird?

The game wasn't easy but by that time, I was so OP, it was a breeze, especially with the zipline attack god mode kicking in.

Calibos

You are joking, right?

Is there even a final boss in this?

Are you talking about the ship fight with the bird?

The game wasn't easy but by that time, I was so OP, it was a breeze, especially with the zipline attack god mode kicking in.

I remember getting stuck here on a higher difficulty...bad save, no ammo etc...Gave up for a couple months and then went back and finished.

For me though, the final area in Bloodborne is something I gave up on...and I am ashamed. I really should try it again.It's been a ritual for the past year to go back and fail miserably over and over about every 2 months.

th4tguy

I got all the way to the last boss in xenogears. I was under leveled and hadn’t developed my deathblows.
I had one save file and could go back and grind so I started the game over from the beginning. I was actually really excited to because I loved the game.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Gears of war 1, I think.

And call of duty waw on hard mode, I think i left it quite late in the game, then came back to it and it was extra hard because of the break.

HOSKINGJ

Neo Member
FFVIII.

Classic JRPG scenario of having spent time grinding, very carefully choosing moves against the boss but not quite being strong enough to finish it off and dying over and over. I got so much out out the 80 hours I already played it I didn't mind watching the end on YouTube.

Resident Evil 2. It was the first Survival Horror game I'd ever played when I first tried it in 1998 and I was unfamiliar with concepts like ammo management. When I got to one of Birkin's final forms as Leon, all I had left were about 10 handgun bullets and the knife.

Almost 20 years later, I've still never beaten it.

I quit on the last boss of odin sphere for ps2. He pooped out so many sprites the framerate dropped well below 1 for the final boss at times. I don't know how you are supposed to dodge a million sprites at such an obscenely low framerate it was not fun.

Jet Force Gemini. Not because I didn't like the game, I loved it and was able to collect all the Tribals (I think thats was their name) and looked everywhere for the white gear I saw on some official art.

But for some reason I was unable to get gud enough to beat the final boss, I probably missed some dumb thing while fighting him, I don't know.

I literally ran through all of my ammo on all of my guns and only had the super weak pistol left by the end of that fight.

Shifty

Metroid 2 stonewalled me at the final boss as a kid. I remember not being able to tell if I was doing damage, not knowing the morph ball trick and possibly not having enough missiles.

I'm now satisfied having beaten Return of Samus.

Top Bottom