• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever given up on a game completely...at the final boss?

Meier

Viewtiful Joe.. I couldn't beat Fire Leo. It took so long to get to him on the particular level and then I failed a number of times and just never got back to it. I think that was the final boss?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Ninja Gaiden and Metroid II,
and I consider myself persistent,
but those were very difficult and frustrating.

I enjoyed my way up to the bosses,
and then I was just satisfied with that.

Kadayi

Banned
Messiah. Probably not that hard to beat I suspect if I put my mind to it now, but for reasons lost in the mists of time, I couldn't work out how to beat the final boss. For those unfamiliar with the game I'm talking about, you basically played Bob an angel (though more like a cherub) who gets sent down from Heaven by God to a world that's gone to shit in a dystopian fashion under the influence of the devil. Your only power is the ability to possess the living and utilize their particular skill sets to help you progress, often times with hilarious consequences.

Actually a pretty neat game (I really dug the visual style of it), more puzzle solving than anything else, but the final boss fight turns into a bit of a melee with you having to move from host to host fighting the Devils own fallen Angels as well, and I don't think I had the tactical smarts for it at the time.

Mobius01

Robocop vs. The Terminator (Megadrive).

I saved up for months to get in on release day and enjoyed the hell out of it. The final endoskull boss annoyed me enough that I never returned to it until I was an adult.

As a previous poster mentioned, I also got stuck on the aeroplane boss in RE:CV on Dreamcast and didn't return to until the PS2 update.

CEJames

Suikoden IV. Completely rushed the game without properly recruiting decent characters and could barely get the final boss to half health. I was so frustrated and ashamed. Always thought to go back for redemption but then I played Suikoden V and killed it. Time heals all wounds.

FF10 as well. Same reason. Rushed and never properly leveled.

Grandia 3. I was so glad to get through that hell of a long last dungeon, only to be steamrolled for being under-leveled.

Those games taught me a lesson. Patience is a virtue.

HAdoubleRY

Neo Member
Viewtiful Joe.. I couldn't beat Fire Leo. It took so long to get to him on the particular level and then I failed a number of times and just never got back to it. I think that was the final boss?

It's not, it's just the hardest one.

Zimmy68

One of the Metal Gear Solid games on the PS2.

Curious, what do you remember from it?
I can think of...

MGS2 :

Raidens' fight with the Metal Gears
That was tough but you could get lucky with item drops.

Boss fight with Solidus in NY.
He was cheap but it was doable.

MGS3:

"THE" Boss fight?

That was epic, hope you didn't skip that.
You were supposed to get your ass kicked. A great fight that made you change your strategy until you figured out the best way to beat her and even then it was tough.

goldenpp72

Shinobi on PS2 is all I can recall, and honestly I don't think I couldn't beat it, I just found the game mediocre to the point that level of effort was not worth it.

GMAK2442

Maybe when I was young. Because lately, with my new mind, I have destroy them all. From The Arkham Knight to the big boss of Doom 2016.

wvnative

I musta been OP as hell in xenogears, nothing in the game, even the final boss, was much of a threat to me.

I been shocked at some of the responses in this topic lol.

NYCrooner

I recently did this with Wolfenstein: New Order final boss. I think I was just fatigued at that point with the game or maybe he was really hard. Either way, have no interest in fighting him anymore.

AlphaMale

First I wanna say that I have this DNA that almost completely prevents me from giving up on a game due to difficulty... but I may have met my match. I am seriously thinking of giving up on this one.

Has anyone else encountered a ridiculous FINAL boss, and just said fuck this bullshit? Challenge is one thing, tedious is quite another.

I'm a bit embarrassed to say, but I did completely give up on the final boss in Uncharted 2. Granted, I did have it on Hard difficulty setting, but still...
(not a proud moment)

...which is surprising, because I *didn't* give up on the final fight in Radec Academy in Killzone 2. Now that was an impossible fight, but I managed to pass it.

Kugar77

gaf might hate me for it but I got stuck on col volgin when I was younger (ok I know he isn't the final boss) and for whatever reason I just stopped playing the game... I don't really remember my rationale.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I soldiered my way through Killzone 2 on hard until just before the Radec fight. That damned palace gauntlet is simply impossible and by that point I was too proud and/or annoyed to drop the difficulty right at the end so I just hung it up altogether.

Both final bosses in Retro's DKC games. I enjoyed both games quite a lot (and would say Tropical Freeze is probably the best 2D platformer I've ever played) but I just kind of stopped at the final bosses. Both games are naturally hard, which I enjoyed, but the final bosses are really something else entirely. Long fights with multiple phases that demand much more precision than any of the previous boss fights made me nope out of both after a while.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
The original Half Life. Horrible final boss. Never beat him.

Arkham Knight. Never completed the final Riddler riddles for the final end cut scene.

Rise of the Tomb Raider. That last big fight just killed me off. Literally.

Curious, what do you remember from it?
I can think of...

MGS2 :

Raidens' fight with the Metal Gears
That was tough but you could get lucky with item drops.

Boss fight with Solidus in NY.
He was cheap but it was doable.

MGS3:

"THE" Boss fight?

That was epic, hope you didn't skip that.
You were supposed to get your ass kicked. A great fight that made you change your strategy until you figured out the best way to beat her and even then it was tough.

I think it was 2. I don't know where my PS2 games have gone.

Mooreberg

Not a "give up" scenario, but my Tomb Raider 2013 saves were corrupted at the last campfire before the boss fight. Never finished, and I never touched the sequel.

Top Bottom