• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you realized that we haven't seen a single beautiful/sexy female character in both Sony's and MS's shows??

Nickolaidas

I'm seriously surprised by some of the juvenile replies and insults in this thread.

Is it really that bad to want to have aesthetically beautiful characters in games? Why does sex appeal has to be a bad thing?
I recently download Double Dragon Neon and was amazed that those character designs used to be the norm in video games a couple of decades ago. The objectification of women in that game actually makes me feel worse about myself while I play this game.

She is literally punched in a way to show off her entire cleavage (the game actually pauses in that scene to give your male gaze a treat), while the female villain fodder are dressed like actual dominatrixes. What the fuck?

u11zNxQ.jpg

On the other hand, I have no idea how Vanillaware makes Dragon Crown and it's totally ok to my eyes.

No, seriously, I have NO idea why I'm totally OK and 100% on board with this.

vjQNQpf.jpg

Rickyiez

Well there used to be a time when Western dev was appreciating beauties and made them into badass character too .

903889c941136702ef76d05f9ed91345--best-games-heroines.jpg

Cate Archer is literally my video game crush back then

maxresdefault.jpg

Nova is hot

Rayne_smirk.png

Not to forget Rayne

Now we just get a bunch of angry mobs :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Hey I resemble that remark! Though my 2 week is up in like another day. Going forward I don't know... they clearly don't want me there. At least this place seems like you don't have to dance on eggshells as much but the traffic isn't there. I like the general format these sites use as it makes it pretty useful as a news aggregator. Though then again when a site bans discussion of vast swaths of the industry it hurts its usefulness.

But yeah, I can't argue, despite feeling like this place could use more traffic I don't think RE diaspora in general are what any site needs.
You are welcome as long as you are not crazzay.

Genx3

I'm about to boycott every game that takes a real woman and then renders them using the Uglification engine.

I want the opposite to be true. Either render women thru the enhancification engine or just render them almost perfectly like they do with the men.

This stupid political take by devs and pubs is annoying.
Taking actresses and making them uglier because they're in a video game is ridiculous.

I wish game devs just left their political agenda out of video games.
Video games were never a political media but a couple of devs are trying to ruin gaming with bad politics.

Philfrag

Banned
This articles claims the opposite

Also here:

Well ive read some very credible sources that claim its a bit of both. A balance between genetics and social structures. Personally im inclined to believe that as I see many humans who are attracted to all sorts. Also you have to bring in to account what they're classifying as attractive. There were scientists who had very popular opinions back in 20s/30s about intelligence and genetics that didnt make it past the 40s for obvious reasons. You can come to some pretty gnarly conclusions when viewing science through your own biases or social norms. Again an example of the times. This isn't a snide remark at you or anything, i obviously have my own biases too. But in that study they have their own definition and standards of what attractive is and all of us in this thread may agree with that but history paints a very different and dare i say it DIVERSE picture. A lot of our common opinions on what is deemed attractive have been reinforced by globalisation and the democratisation of information. Doesn't mean that will be the case in 100 to 1000 years. Mutations, genetics, social engineering, it all lends to our evolutionary journey going forward. A pattern we have very little power over in the grand scheme of things

Anyway i appreciate the response. You cited actual studies, more effort than i put in. There was some guy here who said 'I HAS BONER, I KNOW ATTRACTIVE!!' and that was meant to destroy my argument apparently. At least you posted links.

scalman

Sarah from days gone . Dina from tlou2 not bad too. U4 Elena.
But for next gen nothing yet shown just Aloy from Horizon 2

Last edited:

idrago01

Banned
I recently download Double Dragon Neon and was amazed that those character designs used to be the norm in video games a couple of decades ago. The objectification of women in that game actually makes me feel worse about myself while I play this game.

She is literally punched in a way to show off her entire cleavage (the game actually pauses in that scene to give your male gaze a treat), while the female villain fodder are dressed like actual dominatrixes. What the fuck?

u11zNxQ.jpg

On the other hand, I have no idea how Vanillaware makes Dragon Crown and it's totally ok to my eyes.

No, seriously, I have NO idea why I'm totally OK and 100% on board with this.

vjQNQpf.jpg
It’s called hentai and it’s art

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You posted 2 Japanese games.
That’s because the reality is that if you want beautiful character design both male and female you mostly going to get that from Japanese games. As graphics gets more advance, western devs become much more interested with “realism” and “grounded” so you mostly going dull character designs from western games.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
That’s because the reality is that if you want beautiful character design both male and female you mostly going to get that from Japanese games. As graphics gets more advance, western devs become much more interested with “realism” and “grounded” so you mostly going dull character designs from western games.
Realism they always make uncanny or fuck up. I mean tbf so does capcom.
ResidentEvil3Jill.jpeg

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly hate the direction Capcom going with when it comes to visuals in their games lately. They are really losing that iconic look in character design, by making the look more realistic.

FFVIIR showed you can still have impressive visuals without scan faces.
maxresdefault.jpg

It lacks dissidia's soul

chriskun

This is one of those things that is like “yes, you are correct” but at the same time “ you are a whiney pussy”

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So a mouth and an anime girl?
Not that i'm discarding sexy mouths, they are usefull...
I used both game with "realistic" visuals and more "anime" visuals, no matter what Japanese devs know how to make good looking character designs.

I'm not even asking western devs to make them "sexy" you can still have strong female character without making them look like guys, as if looking like woman means you are "weak".

D3TNfRoWAAAvG-e.jpg:large

18e44ff96bde5d27f19b823177d0a888.jpg

Last edited:

idrago01

Banned
Preach.

Athletic women are sexy. They project phenomenal health and well-being and deep down that is what we are really attracted to. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Sammo hung with the punch at the end is classic, given the choice you wouldn’t want the more classically feminine and attractive girl and would go with the Asian chick on steroids instead?

Also if my family was stuck in a burning building and needed to be extracted I would take my chances with the regular male firefighter, no way I’m trusting that 100 lb girl to bust down doors with an axe and carry people out of a burning building.

TheGrat1

Sammo hung with the punch at the end is classic, 1. given the choice you wouldn’t want the more classically feminine and attractive girl and would go with the Asian chick on steroids instead?

2. Also if my family was stuck in a burning building and needed to be extracted I would take my chances with the regular male firefighter, no way I’m trusting that 100 lb girl to bust down doors with an axe and carry people out of a burning building.
Steroids? She was all natural. That physique is nothing like you would see from western bodybuilding women or crossfitters. Those women are on the juice and thus not feminine. I do not find that attractive.
1. I would take either one but I think Michiko has the prettier face. It is also hard to compare bodies because Sibelle Hu is wearing baggy clothes. I doubt her legs look as nice.
2. Has nothing to do with what I said, but she would be better than nothing.

Senhua

When you make China (mother of all censorship and prudent) angry with you because you make their historical figure (who renowned as the most beautiful girl at that that time) ugly and man like, you know it's time to stop and seek help.

Ll1K2Us.jpg

Top Bottom