• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you watched and liked non-Pixar animated CGI films?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the most part non-Pixar films are better paced and more enjoyable. Over the Hedge, Ice Age, Open Season to name a few.

Dreamworks/PDI has a stronger appeal towards older children and young teens coupled with jokes that adults get. But their art can varry. Shrek series can be butt ugly while Madagascar + Kung Fu Panda looks fluid and amazing

Pixar is more family oriented for young children in terms of visual, characters and most adults in terms overall message. In the terms of art, they are #1

Disney CG is random candy for kids with incoherent stories and annoying ass characters.

Blu Sky is in between of Pixar and Dreamworks IMO. But personally I would love it if they would do something else beside Ice Age sequals. The first one was awesome, but now they need something new

Imagi's TMNT was pretty swell, I loved that movie and I can't wait for Astro Boy

Splatt

I enjoyed Ice Age, Kung Fu Panda, Antz, Spirits Within (even though it had nothing to do with any of the FF games), TMNT 2007, Shrek.

Xater

Rez said:
To put as simply as possible: Pixar are the only company in their field at the moment that make actual movies

Totally. They ar enot just great CGI movies but they are also great in every other aspect you would expect in the craft of movie making. Just having nice graphics doesn't cut it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
nubbe said:
When I saw blot the first time I was like "This seems to be a sweet kids action movie!"

But after 10minutes was more like "Fuck, it is the The Truman Show for kids!"

So you came to the conclusion that it was a criminally underrated movie that deserves more respect than it gets?

Zutroy

Tisan said:
Horton Hears a Who? is fantastic. It is awesome, Dr Seuss is awesome.
Agreed. Unexpectedly enjoyed it. Same with Bolt, very underrated.

Also, Finding Nemo is not bleh in the slightest. In my top 3 Pixar films.

I still quite enjoy
(and by quite enjoy, I mean love)
Antz, considerably more so than A Bug's Life. It is terribly underrated. Shrek and Ice Age were also quite enjoyable. Other than those three, I haven't found much outside of the work of Pixar to be very enjoyable. Haven't seen Kung Fu Panda, however.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ah yes, forgot Over the Hedge too.

You know, the irony of people complaining CGI is that back then there were too much cheap animation as well. I don't give a damn about the medium it used. There have been TONS of crappy non-CGI cartoons.

Cafeman

Yes, I enjoyed Kung Fu Panda quite a bit and have seen it several times now. I laugh out loud at some of it. Po and Master Shifu kind of remind me of people I know though, and that might add a wee bit of fun to the whole thing, for me.

I like the first Ice Age movie. I dislike Ice Age 2 which is dumb, and boring.

I liked Shrek 1 and Shrek 2. I dislike Shrek 3 which is rehash, and dull.

I did not like Antz, Robots, Meet the Robinsons, Over the hedge, or Open Season.

Other than the brilliant Penguins stuff, and maybe a few odd moments in each film, I don't like either Madagascar either.

I was surprised to find I did like Chicken Little though. I liked Bolt but it still didn't really grab me like most ever Pixar flick did.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What bothers me is that people are fine with viewers turning off their brains for Transformers 2 but they can't somehow appreciate non-Disney CGI with similar method. Hell, Surf's Up was instantly touted as a generic CGI film despite actually trying different.

junker

hwlr94.jpg

To be honest, I haven't watched a non-Pixar animated movie since Antz which I enjoyed more than A Bug's Life but as someone said, it didn't exactly feel like a kid's movie. In retrospect, it's ugly as hell.

ragingadamo

Neo Member
Haven't seen monsters vs aliens yet but I usually try to see most big CG films. I thought KFP was good but I find the Ice age series to be completely unbearable. Visually it looks great but I completely dislike every single one of the main characters.

On a 2d note, is anyone looking forward to The Princess and the Frog? Trumpet playing alligator aside, I think it looks fantastic.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Antz, Kung Fu Panda, Happy Feet, and to a lesser extent the 1st Shrek were all good films.

Horton Hears A Who wasn't as terrible as I expected, I enjoyed it.

Bee Movie is shit, total shit, complete and absolute garbage.

EktorPR

The three non-Pixar films I've enjoyed and found totally worthy of my time:

1) Shrek (the original)
2) Over The Hedge
3) Kung-Fu Panda (which I own and love)

Everything else is mediocre at best. And regarding that shit "turn off your brain and enjoy" line of thinking...I don't know how some of you guys do it, but I can't just "turn off my brain" while trying to enjoy something that is, in essence, NOT enjoyable.

Pachinko

I've seen a bunch of dreamworks stuff and it runs the gamut from terrible to pretty good imo.

So you've got Shrek, Shrek 2 and shrek 3- 1 and 2 were decent and funny but the 3rd one was kind of phoned in.

Then I also saw sharks tale which was just terrible, it's the best example I can give of why I prefer pixar to the rest. Paint by the numbers saturday morning cartoon level storyline with next to nothing for anyone but kids to enjoy. It looks even worse when you compare it to pixars fish story- finding nemo which was a dark and interesting story that made adults and children laugh too.

I've seen 3 other dreamworks cartoons - over the hedge , which was actually pretty funny, kung fu panda- this was easily dreamworks best movie and most recently I caught monsters VS aliens in 3d at the theatre. That one was also funny, if nothing else dreamworks quality has steadily improved. I've no interest in season madagascar though, it looks just as bad as sharks tale to me- take a bunch of celebrities and draw animals that look sort of like them and bam you have a script.

Now, going into everything else the only CG movie I've seen is monster house and that was actually pretty great. There's just so many of them out there now though- happy feet and surfs up competing for the penguin loving audience, ice age 1-3 , open season and robots from fox.

So I really can't comment on any of those. The fact remains for me that out of nearly a dozen films pixar hasn't had what I would call a miss, Cars gets alot of flack because it's got the thinnest plot and it's the most markatable pixar film but I'd still rank it higher then the best dreamworks effort to date.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Pseudo_Sam said:
Happy Feet is shit, total shit, complete and absolute garbage.

Fixed. How anybody could watch that penguin/human dance scene and not cringe is beyond me. One of the dumbest scenes ever.

jett

D-Member
I've watched a lot of non Pixar CG movies, and personally they're mostly very medicore compared to Pixar's work. In pretty much all aspects. There's some good stuff in there though, like Bolt, Kung Fu Panda and Surf's Up. But none of them compare to Pixar's best work.

The Shrek, Ice Age and Madagascar movies are just trash.

Bolt, Flushed Away, Beowulf, Kung Fu Panda and that's it.

And I still feet dirty watching Kung Fu Panda with the icky Dreamworks feel all over it. Flushed away was a co-production with Aardman so that makes it OK.

FoxSpirit

junker said:
*some image*

To be honest, I haven't watched a non-Pixar animated movie since Antz which I enjoyed more than A Bug's Life but as someone said, it didn't exactly feel like a kid's movie. In retrospect, it's ugly as hell.

Watch KungFu Panda. Seriously.

Yeah, but I don't leave the theatre with my heart wrenched nor does it have a very big impact. Pixar movies make me think.

List of solid ones (best-to-ok):
Kung Fu Panda
Horton Hears A Who
Antz
Shrek/Shrek 2
TMNT

Seen the rest of them, but holy christ are they bad. Madagascar made me want to cut my wrists.

Disney's two CG movies (Bolt & Meet the Robinson's) are pretty great. May lack the complexity or big punch of Pixar's movies, but they're focused, cohesive, and full of good animation.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Not enough love for Monster House in this topic. That movie's pretty darn good.

Also enjoyed Meet the Robinsons and Shrek 1.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Bolt
The Tale of Desperaux
Shrek 1
Surf's Up

Everything else I've seen sucked.

Of course, from Pixar I only like Monsters Inc and WALL-E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom