• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hayao Miyazaki retires from film-making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

I'll believe it when I see it. At one point he even said Princess Mononoke would be his last movie. His age is advancing though. Him retiring at this point is nothing to be ashamed of, his filmography crushes most director's past and present.

sky

I'd love to see some short films from him, lots of room to experiment without the weight of feature-length.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The man deserves to retire, he's gone above and beyond the call of duty.

Salute him, but don't cry.

Cwarrior

After Takahata retires that's it for anime movies, those guys along with satoshi kon rip where the only good anime movie directors worth a damn.

Now it's all a bunch of hacks from here on out pretending and wishing they had half the talent as these guys.

Salute, You've more then earned that retirement Hayao Miyazaki.

I actually don't miss him that much. He used to make amazing films, but from this century most of his works have just disappointed me or been just "okay" at best. Spirited Away and Howl were very huge hits, but were two of his worst works.

I think he retires, mostly because he's no longer able to amaze us anymore.

You're nuts. Those are some of his best films. Spirited Away is definitely my favorite film of his, because it's full of so much imagination and heart. It's such an uplifting and inspiring film.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
ghibli_finish_work_by_hyung86.jpg

*salutes*

abadguy

Banned
After Takahata retires that's it for anime movies, those guys along with satoshi kon rip where the only good anime movie directors worth a damn.

Now it's all a bunch of hacks from here on out pretending and wishing they had half the talent as these guys.

I dunno man. I think Mamoru Hasoda( Summer Wars, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Wolf Children) is pretty good so far. Not to mention we still have Anno, Otomo( assuming he ever directs another animated film), and Oshii.

Blader

I'll believe it when I see it. At one point he even said Princess Mononoke would be his last movie. His age is advancing though. Him retiring at this point is nothing to be ashamed of, his filmography crushes most director's past and present.

He only came out of his first retirement because Yoshifumi Kondo (director of Whisper of the Heart) died.

We still have Hosoda and Yonebayashi (assuming he is still at Ghibli).

I dunno man. I think Mamoru Hasoda( Summer Wars, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Wolf Children) is pretty good so far. Not to mention we still have Anno, Otomo( assuming he ever directs another animated film), and Oshii.

I should give Hasoda's work a watch as I have not watched any of his films yet. Too bad Satoshi Kon passed away so young; he was probably my second favourite after Miyazaki.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Not surprising. And a well earned retirement too. The guy was a workaholic.
I think the talk about Miyazaki having lost it since the turn of the century is silly. Sure, Howl and Ponyo weren't the greatest things he ever put out, but I think Spirited Away is up there with Totoro at the top of his filmography.

abadguy

Banned
I should give Hasoda's work a watch as I have not watched any of his films yet. Too bad Satoshi Kon passed away so young; he was probably my second favourite after Miyazaki.

Feels bad man. I was really looking forward to his next movie "Dreaming Machine", now it looks like it will never be finished due to Madhouse not having enough funds to complete it. My favorite Kon movie is Tokyo Godfathers, one of my favorite films ever.

zeroshiki

Kondo not dying and Hosoda not getting kicked out/quitting might have given us a completely different Ghibli.

Anyways, The Wind Rises is an excellent way to exit your career upon and I'm glad he was able to make his dream project before hanging it up.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Thanks for all the great movies Miyazaki-san! You've given us an incredible legacy of animated movies to enjoy. :)

neoism

Man I watched Spirited Away for the first time since like 2004, a few days ago.. damn that movie is sooooooooo much better than I remember... his films mean alot to me.... :( I hope he has a long retirement......:(

Kondo not dying and Hosoda not getting kicked out/quitting might have given us a completely different Ghibli.

Anyways, The Wind Rises is an excellent way to exit your career upon and I'm glad he was able to make his dream project before hanging it up.

Howl's probably wouldn't have sucked so much if Miyazaki wasn't such a dumbdumb. :(

BlueMagic

What about the guy who directed Arrietty? That was a good movie.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I loved Arrietty, and it seems like it doesn't get enough love around here. I don't know what's the situation of that director but I'd love to see him do more.

Akahige

Damn sad, Ghibli is going to have to find some directors outside the company if they are going to keep on at the rate they do now.

so1337

Damn. :(

Spirited Away (edit: Actually, Princess Mononoke. Why do I keep mixing these two up?) (on VHS) was the movie that got me into anime back in the day. As someone who grew up on Disney it completely blew my mind and opened up a new perspective on what cartoons could be. The animation scene will be less without him but he's certainly earned his retirement.

At least there's still Hosoda...

zeroshiki

According to the news, it was Ghibli president Hoshino who made the announcement during the Venice Film Festival. An actual press conference from Miyazaki himself will be held on the 6th.

epmode

Let's get every other Ghibli catalog movie on bluray RIGHT NOW to capitalize on this news!

..please. I don't want to wait ~4 years for Spirited Away..

Akahige

If Takahata retires as well after Kaguyahime is completed in 1-2 months, then now is the time for Ghibli is act. They should actively seek out directors interested in making different types of films at Ghibli and support them as much as possible to see if they can find success with different formulas.
Seriously, they need to do something

Jex

This time I actually believe that he's done as his final movie certainly feels like the kind of work you'd make to finish of your career - by which I mean a movie about a subject that's very important to you personally. I can't say that I'm particularly cut up about his retirement as his works haven't particularly great for the last decade - it's really time that he called it a day before he dies working away in his studio.

While his impact on anime, Japan, and cinema in general has been profound and almost monolithic in nature the way he managed his studio and his staff left a lot to be desired. Unfortunately this means Ghibli really lacks the talebted 30-40 year old directors that they should have cultivated by this point. I wonder how they can move forward now without taking a number of risks.

Clov

A true pity; I would have loved to see at least one more film from this genius. Nonetheless, he left an amazing legacy.

I'm looking forward to watching The Wind Rises later; though I'll perhaps be a bit more solemn doing so.

faridmon

I actually don't miss him that much. He used to make amazing films, but from this century most of his works have just disappointed me or been just "okay" at best. Spirited Away and Howl were very huge hits, but were two of his worst works.

I think he retires, mostly because he's no longer able to amaze us anymore.

Huh?

Anyways, end of an era. I do think Studio Ghibli is finished without him seeing the other directors haven't made anything remotely close to Miyazaki in terms of quality.

Cwarrior

He only came out of his first retirement because Yoshifumi Kondo (director of Whisper of the Heart) died.

We still have Hosoda and Yonebayashi (assuming he is still at Ghibli).

Hosoda is a hack who makes terrible melodrama movies please don't mention him in the same thread where names like Hayao miyazaki and Isao takahata have been mentioned it's an insult to directors with talent and Oshii's really bad heavy handed dialogue is physically painful & difficult stomach which hold back his movies.

I haven't seen Yonebayashi "Secret World of Arrietty" yet been meaning to check out for a long time now.

zeroshiki

This time I actually believe that he's done as his final movie certainly feels like the kind of work you'd make to finish of your career - by which I mean a movie about a subject that's very important to you personally. I can't say that I'm particularly cut up about his retirement as his works haven't particularly great for the last decade - it's really time that he called it a day before he dies working away in his studio.

While his impact on anime, Japan, and cinema in general has been profound and almost monolithic in nature the way he managed his studio and his staff left a lot to be desired. Unfortunately this means Ghibli really lacks the talebted 30-40 year old directors that they should have cultivated by this point. I wonder how they can move forward now without taking a number of risks.

The lack of anyone 'big' coming out of Ghibli gets brought up alot and is seen as a failing of Miyazaki (semi arguably since Anno is plenty big) but I personally don't see it as being a big deal. Maybe the reason Miyazaki can make movies like Wind Rises and Spirited Away is because of his crazy attention to detail. I'd rather have those movies than some watered down movie made for the sake of building up staff.

When Takahata finally announces his retirement, it will be the effective end of the Ghibli we know and I choose to look at their work to date rather than fretting about a nebulous lack of a future.

Blader

Seriously? I thought it was great and saw pretty much nothing but praise for it...

I thought it was pretty dull and a little weird myself. I never saw the dub but I wonder how Disney handled the
potential incest
angle :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom