• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hayao Miyazaki retires from film-making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

I thought it was pretty dull and a little weird myself. I never saw the dub but I wonder how Disney handled the
potential incest
angle :lol

Disney didn't actually release it over here, some other company did.

I still haven't had time to watch the film myself, I should get on that...

Never was a huge fan of his movies, but hey, the guy has a damn big legacy. Still, this won't change the anime landscape or anything. There are plenty of directors, both established and up and coming that are also pretty respected. Might screw over Ghibli, though.

Clov

Never was a huge fan of his movies, but hey, the guy has a damn big legacy. Still, this won't change the anime landscape or anything. There are plenty of directors, both established and up and coming that are also pretty respected. Might screw over Ghibli, though.

I can't say whether this will "change" the landscape or anything, but it certainly will leave a void.

Though I do agree, there's plenty of other great directors out there. The industry will keep going. Not sure about what will happen to Ghibli though. I'm curious as to what Takahata will do after Kaguyahime (which looks fantastic so far).

LordCanti

Well, that sucks, but it had to happen sooner or later. We lost Kon and Oshii went off the rails years ago. I guess Hosoda is still left, right? Right?

Kajigger

But.... :(

tumblr_mkfvw8K8r31qbtzbno2_250.gif

javac

It was expected. He always did want to retire after each film because the amount of work needed for each one. He almost had it after Mononoke but continued after. And thank goodness because he's continued to work on some phenomenal pieces of art. Whether it was the spellbinding Spirited Away or the enchanting Howl's Moving Castle or the heart-warming Ponyo.

He's continued to create these movies in order to make people happy. To make us smile. Miyazaki always said he has a lot of negativity and pessimism and hopelessness in his heart but never wanted to express that in films children would see.

It was always clear he had a concern for the audience. His love for the planet and all living things is clear to anyone. He talked about how we need to re-examine everything we take for granted and what we show our children. He cared about us. His audience. He never made movies the easy way. He believed in re-examining the norms and common sense and created something we didn't necessarily want but what we needed.

He was concerned and respected the audience no matter the age. His love for film is forever clear. He touched many people's heart's with his work and that much is clear too.

On behalf of everyone who's seen and experienced your work I want to say thank you. I hope that the world doesn't take your genius for granted because the world needed your work and it's better because of it.

Mudkips

Banned
I actually don't miss him that much. He used to make amazing films, but from this century most of his works have just disappointed me or been just "okay" at best. Spirited Away and Howl were very huge hits, but were two of his worst works.

You're going to get so much hate for this post, but you and I both know it's the truth.

Foffy

Banned
The Japanese work very, very hard on films, no? I do recall Miyazaki becoming more reserved after one of his staff members died from overworking. I would understand that he wants to take a break either from present health issues, or if what he does create a strain on his life. One can only go so far tugging on themselves before they rip.

Platy

According to NHK he tried his best not to ruin his health and finish Kaze Tachinu and he's retiring from feature films. What that actually means we're not sure. Ghibli is fucked though.

This is the saddest part for me.

I can somehow take the fact that he is retiring from feature lenghs after a long time being sad... but if he has some kind of health problem bifg enoght to ... I will just .... =(

Jex

The lack of anyone 'big' coming out of Ghibli gets brought up alot and is seen as a failing of Miyazaki (semi arguably since Anno is plenty big) but I personally don't see it as being a big deal. Maybe the reason Miyazaki can make movies like Wind Rises and Spirited Away is because of his crazy attention to detail. I'd rather have those movies than some watered down movie made for the sake of building up staff.

When Takahata finally announces his retirement, it will be the effective end of the Ghibli we know and I choose to look at their work to date rather than fretting about a nebulous lack of a future.
I don't know how Studio Ghibli is run but I have consumed bits and pieces of information with regards to their organization from what others have said and experienced there. Considering that Miyazaki has what amounts to basically supreme authority with regards to the working of the Studio I think it's only fair that he, and others, should share some of the responsibility for failing to nurture creative talent at the studio.

I don't know if it's a question of either having Miyazaki's great movies or helping to nurture new talent - surely the studio could have tried harder to give younger people some projects that they could work on with some independence? I understand this would be difficult considering how important Ghibli brand name is and how it needs to be associated only with quality works but I certainly believe they'd had the time to work around this issue.

Moreover some of the more high profile problems relating to Miyazaki's management practices are well known - the (presumed) firing of Mamoru Hosoda while he working on Howl's Moving Castle which led to a rather poor Miyazaki film and the exponential rise of one of the newest talents in the industry. Then there's the nepotism which led Miyazkai to assign his own incompetent (in terms of directorial ability) son to direct a movie when surely there were more talented people available, and then to have him direct a second one later on. None of these seem like wise moves for the health of the studio and I think it's fair to highlight these issues when considering his legacy overall.

With regards to your second comment, I don't want to solely harp on about the perceived lack of a future for the studio that Miyazaki, Takahata and others helped to create, rather it's just one of many different topics that I considered worth bringing up with regards to the announcement of Miyazaki's retirement.

Ninjimbo

Nothing about this strikes me as sad. He's retiring an old man whose work spans decades and saw a large amount critical and commercial success. Miyazaki left his mark on an entire medium. How many artists can say that? It's the perfect time for him. Now he can concentrate on fostering the development of his studio for the future.

abadguy

Banned
I actually don't miss him that much. He used to make amazing films, but from this century most of his works have just disappointed me or been just "okay" at best. Spirited Away and Howl were very huge hits, but were two of his worst works.

I think he retires, mostly because he's no longer able to amaze us anymore.

I agree with you on Howl, but Spirited Away? Fuck no that movie was excellent.

yami4ct

Nothing about this strikes me as sad. He's retiring an old man whose work spans decades and saw a large amount critical and commercial success. Miyazaki left his mark on an entire medium. How many artists can say that? It's the perfect time for him. Now he can concentrate on fostering the development of his studio for the future.

It's a late to be developing the future. While it's obvious that no one would have reached the heights of Miyazaki's best work, Ghibli should have prepared at least 3-4 young guys to be ready for this moment. They've got Yonebayashi ,who did Arriety, a guy that I think definitely has a lot of promise and talent, but their current working slate doesn't have much aside from that. Goro is getting better, but still he's not up to the level he needs to be and probably never will be. He should be their D/E-list director that they throw small projects at occasionally, not someone they need to rely on.

For Ghibli's future, I back what Duckroll said. They need to take some drastic measures and get their young guys working. I'm sure there's quite a few talented individuals who just haven't been giving the chance to lead. They need to get those guys working on full projects pronto. They need to start taking risks and developing their young guys. They have an amazing house style and are a clearly talented studio. Even if they can never reach the levels of Miyazaki and Takahata, there is still something valuable in the studio to save. If they can keep putting out stuff with the quality of Arriety and expand their slate into different kinds of projects, that would be a pretty decent future.

As for Miyazaki, this is a sad day. Not an unexpected one, but dude is certainly one of the most amazing, prolific directors working today. Even his worst movies still leave me happy and smiling. The Wind Rises does seem like the perfect project to go out on and I really hope he gets to enjoy his retirement for a long time going into the future. He really does deserve it.

javac

I feel like Miyazaki and Ghibli as a whole are the kind of people that just do this because they love to. It's not a business to them and I don't feel like they want to force anything. If Ghibli's time is up they'd happily get up and move on. They've had more success then they could ever dream of and they got there doing what they loved to do. I guess I'm really naive but for better or worse I think they live in the now and not necessarily the future.

BadWolf

There is a long translated Making Of of Princess Mononoke floating on youtube that you guys should really watch. Its pretty nuts how much work Miyazaki does first hand on his animated movies (designing, animating, story boards, drawing backgrounds, personally re-animating badly animated scenes etc.). I'm surprised he could keep it up this long.

Truly a legend.

So much hate for Howl's here but its probably my fave movie of his.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Good. No sense sticking around when your best work is already behind you.

Weird timing, but I just finished a ten-part 25,000 word tribute to what I consider his greatest work if anyone is interested.

Have a well-earned retirement.

HORRORSHØW

Truly a legend. His films will be missed. Even though Studio Ghibli may make movies in a similar vein, they will lack the charm and soul that makes it a uniquely Studio Ghibli film.

/salutes.

javac

The Film4 Ghibli season concludes tomorrow with Tales from Earthsea. The timing couldn't have been any more fitting even if it's ending with the 'worst' one.

Necrovex

Boo. :(

Unless this means he's retiring from film to do a Nausicaa mini-series...

A high quality television manga adaption of Nausicaa would be amazing.

Miyazaki has earned his retirement. I'm happy one of the legends was actually able to retire instead of dying an early, untimely death.

My favorite of his will always be Spirited Away but I also really liked Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki and Castle in the Sky. His films were some of the most lovely looking animated films I've ever seen.

J-Rock

Banned
He's been talking about doing this for years and has been overworking himself for a long time now. I'd say that he's earned some time to relax. I'm actually happy for him.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
It's not like he made Valvrave or something so I don't really see what all the hubbub is about.

Amir0x

Banned
His films defined what it meant to me to love Japanese animated films, and I don't know who else I can turn to in this realm to replace the hole :(

One of the best filmmakers of all time.

It'll be sad if this takes, but he's "retired" so many times already. I guess we'll see.

Fjordson

As a fan this is pretty sad news, but if anyone deserves some time off it's surely him. What a superb career he's had. Seems like as good a time as any to hang it up.

Now I just need to get all of the Ghibli blu-rays that are available. Only have Howl's Moving Castle (and hopefully Princess Mononoke makes it onto blu in the near future).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom