• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO to make A Song of Ice and Fire series!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
so, I am assuming we won't see a thing until 2010 even if they pick the series up for a season?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yeah, 2009 is completely out of the realm of possibility.

Salazar

Agreed: awfully good news about Dinklage.

Simon more than deserves the benefit of the doubt, regarding Treme. I'd pre-pay for the box-set right now.

Azar

I love The Station Agent. It's about as different in terms of scale as you could possibly get, but the two of them have done great work together in the past. This gives me high hopes.

with the obvious (and awesome) casting of peter dinklage now confirmed, here's an interesting question for you guys:

who do you think will be the most important character to cast?

this isn't necessarily a "who is the most important character in the series", but some characters could require a more diverse range of performance than others.

so, who will be the most important and why? you can only pick one.

Dan

Salazar said:
Simon more than deserves the benefit of the doubt, regarding Treme. I'd pre-pay for the box-set right now.
Word. Plus, it's got an amazing cast. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Also, it seems that as of mid-April when the pilot was wrapping HBO was expecting to give an answer on its pickup by mid-June. It's happening now, so I'd hazard a guess and say they quite like what they've seen and the additional scripts that were written.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Mike Works said:
with the obvious (and awesome) casting of peter dinklage now confirmed, here's an interesting question for you guys:

this isn't necessarily a "who is the most important character in the series", but some characters could require a more diverse range of performance than others.

Arya

Its going to take a special little girl to pull that character off.

Brian Fellows said:
Arya

Its going to take a special little girl to pull that character off.

The same can be said of most of the child actors though. I'd say it's Ned. He's going to have to carry the show through its first season.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Awesome. I only read half of the first book (waiting for a few more books to release). From what I read so far, Peter Dinklage seems like an amazing pick.

DeathNote said:
Awesome. I only read half of the first book (waiting for a few more books to release). From what I read so far, Peter Dinklage seems like an amazing pick.

If I were you I'd leave this thread and not come back until finishing the 4 books...

you don't want stuff ruined for you lol

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Tiamatsword22 said:
:lol :lol :lol
Dude... i have three months of no school or work. If I read all the books released so far... I'll die waiting.

I recently watched lost from episode 1 to current in the past few months.

But, come to think of it, I need to at least finish what the tv show would cover.

Dan

Uncle said:
Awesome news about Dinklage. But WTF at them doing a remake of Death at a Funeral. Why..?
It's pretty much Death at a Funeral but substituting black people for British. I had no idea Dinklage was in the remake too though... That's pretty wacky.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
PhoenixDark said:
The same can be said of most of the child actors though. I'd say it's Ned. He's going to have to carry the show through its first season.

None of the other child actors are gonna be as young and hard to play as Arya. She's a 20 year old in a 9 year olds body. The other young kids are pretty typical.

They'll all be cast older than the books, he's even said before the show came up that he would've made them a bit older (there was supposed to be a timeshift of a couple years that didn't happen)

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
mamacint said:
They'll all be cast older than the books, he's even said before the show came up that he would've made them a bit older (there was supposed to be a timeshift of a couple years that didn't happen)

Yes I realize all that and my vote for Arya stands whether she is 9 or 13.

Agree with Arya being difficult to cast. She's also one of the most well-liked characters in the series, so fans are going to be very critical.

funk0ar

I also agree on Arya being the hardest to cast, she's a little pocket rocket and to find a young actor with that much fire will be hard.

Great news on Dinklage, you you think they will ugly him up a bit or what?

StoOgE

Mike Works said:

I'm going to cheat and pick 2:

1) Little Finger - must be sufficiently hated and somehow slightly likable but extremely devious all at once.

2) Tyrion - knocked it out of the park though so no worries.

StoOgE

funk0ar said:
I also agree on Arya being the hardest to cast, she's a little pocket rocket and to find a young actor with that much fire will be hard.

I have my doubts they are going to make some of the charachters as ugly as they seem to be in the book. Reading about some of the characters
the dog, Dondarion post multiple deaths, Cat post death, Tyrion post nose loss
is one thing, seeing it is another. I'm sure a lot of that will be toned down.

KingGondo

Banned
funk0ar said:

I'm sure they will a bit (different-colored eyes), but they'll probably save the big shock for when he
gets his nose chopped of in A Clash of Kings

Edit: Now that I think about it, Jaime could be difficult to cast as well. They need to find a pretty boy who can pull off arrogant asshole and dignified victim in turn. I also agree with everyone re: Arya.

I'm happy for Dinklage, if everything else falls into place, this is a career-defining role for him. The Tyrion role has serious Emmy potential, for sure.

StoOgE said:
I have my doubts they are going to make some of the charachters as ugly as they seem to be in the book. Reading about some of the characters
the dog, Dondarion post multiple deaths, Cat post death, Tyrion post nose loss
is one thing, seeing it is another. I'm sure a lot of that will be toned down.

This is HBO we're talking about here. They don't tend to pull punches when it comes to this kind of thing.

Shirokun

DeathNote said:
Dude... i have three months of no school or work. If I read all the books released so far... I'll die waiting.

You're likely to die waiting anyway at this rate. Better to just read them now, IMO. Besides, if you like them as much as the rest of us here, you'll end up reading them several times between releases.

Great news about Dinklage, BTW.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
There's some awesome characters and to say who would be most important to cast, you really have to know how far the series will go. If it goes the length then Jamie Lannnister becomes more important. If it's short you steer towards Ned/Cat.

You know who'd be sweet to play Barristan the Bold? That guy with the eye patch from BSG. That'd rule. "YOU FRAKKIN LANNISTERS!!!"

Dream casting for Jamie: Jason Isaacs.
Tywin Lannister: Stellan Skaarsgard

Mike Works said:

Robb - I think that his performance will be the key and it will take a young but charismatic actor to pull him off. He will be important as Henry on The Tudors. It's a shame too because Jonathan Rhys Davies would be ace in this series.

StoOgE

sooperkool said:
Robb - I think that his performance will be the key and it will take a young but charismatic actor to pull him off. He will be important as Henry on The Tudors. It's a shame too because Jonathan Rhys Davies would be ace in this series.

It depends how they wind up filming the series. Robb isn't actually *in* the books that much. You hear *of* Robb doing stuff, but you very rarely actually see Robb compared to other major charachters.

I agree Jon Snow is going to be critical as well.

There are a lot of very hard to cast parts in this. Bran and Hodor will be difficult to cast right as well I think.

Manics

Banned
Mike Works said:

Tough to say, I'm gonna skip the child actors and go with Jaime. He started
out seeming to be a prick early on in the series but turns into a likeable character
as the books move forward. For that reason I think they need to choose a solid actor.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm only a little past halfway in A Game of Thrones so far, but it seems Cersei might need some acting talent and diversity to pull off. She was really shining in a different light in the past chapter, where she has her outdoor chat with Ned. She's actually one of my most liked characters at this point.

aceface

Ladies and Gentlemen, your Tyrion Lannister:

0004gbgk

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Manics said:
Tough to say, I'm gonna skip the child actors and go with Jaime. He started
out seeming to be a prick early on in the series but turns into a likeable character
as the books move forward. For that reason I think they need to choose a solid actor.

Jaime would have been my second choice for the reasons you mention but we were limited to one. :D

Scribble

TheExodu5 said:
I'm only a little past halfway in A Game of Thrones so far, but it seems Cersei might need some acting talent and diversity to pull off. She was really shining in a different light in the past chapter, where she has her outdoor chat with Ned. She's actually one of my most liked characters at this point.

;)

Manics

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

Ah the joys of reading the first book for the first time. :D

TheExodu5

Banned
Man, it was such a good chapter...the best so far. I just read one chapter after that, when Viserys gets a molten belt of gold poured over his head. :lol I'm looking forward to continuing tonight.

Manics

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Man, it was such a good chapter...the best so far. I just read one chapter after that, when Viserys gets a molten belt of gold poured over his head. :lol I'm looking forward to continuing tonight.

Enjoy! Try to resist the urge to read any of the spoiler stuff for the upcoming novels so you don't ruin shit for yourself. I didn't do any research on the series while I was reading the books, I just let all the ups and downs come naturally and I said "WHAT THE FUCK???!!!!" so many times and dropped the books a few times I can't even begin to tell you. :lol

bengraven

My GOD at the spoilers in this thread. Some are my own fault for highlighting, some just don't care. :lol

I'm still halfway through book 1 and was hoping to get some ideas of who to cast these characters as in my head.

Dinklage I already had, funny enough, and I'm glad to see him there. I agree that Rachel would be great as Sasa as well.

I'm also picturing Brian Cox as the King, Tom Hollander (Becket from Pirates 2 and 3) as Littlefinger, and I keep picturing Angus Macfadyen (Braveheart, Saw 3, 4, 5) as Ned.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
HAHA Brian Cox? He's old enough to be Roberts Grand Pappy.

Not that I have room to talk. I always pictured Littlefinger as Palpatine from the Star Wars movies. Thats just the face that always popped in my head when reading him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom