• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HD-DVD Launch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, just the one model for now as far as I can tell, and yes, about 10k units shipped. More to come in May/June, and the first BluRay player is now scheduled for June as well.

.hacked

As I sit here and slowly close my eyes
I take another deep breath and feel the wind pass through my body
I'm the one in your soul, reflecting inner light
Protect the ones who hold you, cradeling your inner child

I need Serenity in a place where I can hide
I need Serenity, nothing changes days go by

Where do we go when we just don't know
And how do we re-light the flame when it's cold
Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing
And when will we learn to control

Tragic visions slowly stole my life
Tore away everything, cheating me out of my time
I'm the one who loves you no matter wrong or right
And everyday I hold you
I hold you with my inner child

I need Serenity in a place where I can hide
I need Serenity, nothing changes days go by

I need Serenity (Where do we go when we just don't know)
I need Serenity (And how do we re-light the flame when it's cold)
I need Serenity (Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing)
I need Serenity (And when will we learn to control)

and I got it :)

.hacked

Going to wath it right now :D

hddvds4kz.jpg

GhaleonEB

Marconelly said:
Proably won't reach the market penetration that DVD has, and will eventually be replaced by digital downloads in a 6-8 years, maybe even sooner. But everything gets replaced by something else eventually, and if you want to own the movies, and have a HDTV, I see no reason to not buy HDDVD or BR movies - I think most releases will be coming out on them as well as on DVD during their life span, however long it ends up being.

Let me ask you this: If I don't own an HDTV (plain old 27" SD here) is there any benefit to either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray? I won't buy an HDTV until they are affordable for me, which looks about 2 years or so down the road.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
GhaleonEB said:
Let me ask you this: If I don't own an HDTV (plain old 27" SD here) is there any benefit to either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray? I won't buy an HDTV until they are affordable for me, which looks about 2 years or so down the road.

I know they say 'There's no such thing as a stupid question' but damn...

GhaleonEB said:

Yeah, if you buy a HDDVD player for use on your regular SDTV, you just spent $500+ on a regular old DVD player.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
GhaleonEB said:
Normally, no, unless you want to invest in player+movies you would benfit from later on...

On the other hand, if you have interest in PS3 (for it's games), and want to buy it when it comes out, you might as well buy BR movies instead of DVDs. Why not, they are just slightly more expensive, and they'll be there for you to watch in HD once you get the new TV, and in the meantime you can watch them on regular TV too.

Ponn

Banned
VisionaryQuest0 said:
Yeah, if you buy a HDDVD player for use on your regular SDTV, you just spent $500+ on a regular old DVD player.

Not only that, if he has that kind of money to blow on a HDDVD player then why can't he buy a HDTV?

Like the people that would come in and buy RF adapters to hook their DVD players up to their TV's with no composite input. Why? What were you thinking?

.hacked

Wow, I am simply amazed.

HD DVD has ruined me, it has done to DVDs what Xbox 360 did to gaming. I don't think I can go back (thank god this player does some kick ass up scaling).

Watching Serenity on HD DVD was like seeing it in the movies again. The picture was crystal clear and rock solid. No jittering, no artifacting, just rich deep colors the way it was meant to be. It was perfection.

I always figured the occasionally blocky artifacting I got on my TV was because it was a RP LCD, well turns out it was the DVDs. There is nothing I can say to do this thing justice, you need to see it in person. If you are a movie fan than this is one toy to look into.

As for Blu Ray players I just checked online, 8-15-06 wtf? I got a 40k check burring a hole in my pocket I thought they were due out next month =/

Wait for Sony to play catch up if you want, I'll be watching the Matrix Trilogy in HD DVD...

hellfire

Midas said:
Can someone please tell me when tv sets that supports 1080p will become available for a reasonable amount of money? :D

Another question for the techies... Is HDMI 1.2 (or was it 1.3) finished? Will it be in the most sets that are produced as we're speaking?

1.3 is not finished. afaik there's no final silicon to support it yet, so it's unlikely tvs manufactured as i type will support it.

anyways, 1.3 is not interesting for tvs. what's more interesting is that hdmi 1.3 supports DD+, DTS-HD, and TruHD, so what you really should care about is the next generation of a/v receivers.

Ponn

Banned
.hacked said:
Wow, I am simply amazed.

HD DVD has ruined me, it has done to DVDs what Xbox 360 did to gaming. I don't think I can go back (thank god this player does some kick ass up scaling).

Watching Serenity on HD DVD was like seeing it in the movies again. The picture was crystal clear and rock solid. No jittering, no artifacting, just rich deep colors the way it was meant to be. It was perfection.

I always figured the occasionally blocky artifacting I got on my TV was because it was a RP LCD, well turns out it was the DVDs. There is nothing I can say to do this thing justice, you need to see it in person. If you are a movie fan than this is one toy to look into.

As for Blu Ray players I just checked online, 8-15-06 wtf? I got a 40k check burring a hole in my pocket I thought they were due out next month =/

Wait for Sony to play catch up if you want, I'll be watching the Matrix Trilogy in HD DVD...

Just looking to kill two birds with one stone and get the PS3.

Alcibiades

woops, forgot one...

5/09
Assault on Precinct 13

B000FDDY28.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V55349596_.jpg

hmm, have no idea what it is about, but looking at the cover doesn't seem like something that would interest me anyway...

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Alcibiades said:
woops, forgot one...

5/09
Assault on Precinct 13

hmm, have no idea what it is about, but looking at the cover doesn't seem like something that would interest me anyway...

IIRC its about some crooked cops trying to break into a holding area to kill some criminals that were going to finger them. The crooks and cops(good ones) team up to hold them at bay till morning comes.

SuperPac

I am interested in seeing what an HD-DVD would look like on my 42" A10, but I am not willing to pay multiple hundreds of dollars at the moment to watch a rezzed-up Serenity (or any of the other movies). Not when the last DVD player I bought was under $100, does HDMI, upscans just fine to 720p and plays PAL-format discs and DivX files. When a movie I love comes out on BR or HD-DVD, then I'll spring. But by then the players will be less expensive.

racerx77

Banned
I see what you're saying, if there are no movies that interest you at the moment, I understand holding off.. HOWEVER.. Upscaling cannot compare at all with a true HD-DVD.. the image quality is AMAZING...:D

JPRaup

Banned
Alcibiades said:
woops, forgot one...

5/09
Assault on Precinct 13

its a good movie, probably makes it better on HDDVD :)

C4Lukins

I am really trying to resist this until E3. I am hoping the 360 player will be under 200 bucks, and out in a few months. At least until Batman Begins comes out, I have no real compelling reason to make the jump.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
hellfire said:
1.3 is not finished. afaik there's no final silicon to support it yet, so it's unlikely tvs manufactured as i type will support it.

anyways, 1.3 is not interesting for tvs. what's more interesting is that hdmi 1.3 supports DD+, DTS-HD, and TruHD, so what you really should care about is the next generation of a/v receivers.

HDMI 1.1, 1.2 and 1.2a also support DD+, dts-HD and DolbyTruHD in that the player can decode the sound data internally and pass it to whatever reciever or processor as linear PCM, so there is some backwards compatibility there....

What HDMI 1.3 allows is for the audio data to be passed from the Player to the reciever/processsor as a raw digital stream....that way, not only can it be decoded in the reciever/processor but it can also be done in the digital domain...as such DSP post processing can be applied to the DD+/dts-HD/Dolby TruHD sound stream (Bass Mgt., EQ and Room Correction algorithms, to name just three)....

The older HDMI 1.1-1.2a stuff can pass the decoded DD+/dts-HD/Dolby TruHD sound stream but without the fancy DSP stuff :)

BTW, just got to see HD-DVD on a Sony Ruby earlier today (Phantom of the Opera and Serenity).....it looks fantastic :D

Smokey

Morph, what TV are you using? Is it the Sony A10 or A20, or the older Grand Wega III? And how the hell do you have a 40k check burning a hole in your pocket:lol.

Smokey Bones said:
Morph, what TV are you using? Is it the Sony A10 or A20, or the older Grand Wega III? And how the hell do you have a 40k check burning a hole in your pocket:lol.

The Magic Word: Lawsuit???

I'm jealous, I could use 40k (but who couldn't?).

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Alcibiades said:
woops, forgot one...

5/09
Assault on Precinct 13

It's a wicked movie! But if you want the full effect, you should watch the original Assault on Precint 13 first. Some of the characters are switched around, like the black and white guys roles are reversed (pardon the racial descriptions, just don't remember the names). Also a few things are different in the storylines, but both are great movies. You should definitely check it out.

I think I'm gonna wait for one of the dual format players that play both formats to come out before buying one. I don't trust either format fully to back either one exclusively, and I don't trust the PS3 to be as good as a standalone player either.

hellfire

Kleegamefan said:
HDMI 1.1, 1.2 and 1.2a also support DD+, dts-HD and DolbyTruHD in that the player can decode the sound data internally and pass it to whatever reciever or processor as linear PCM, so there is some backwards compatibility there....

What HDMI 1.3 allows is for the audio data to be passed from the Player to the reciever/processsor as a raw digital stream....that way, not only can it be decoded in the reciever/processor but it can also be done in the digital domain...as such DSP post processing can be applied to the DD+/dts-HD/Dolby TruHD sound stream (Bass Mgt., EQ and Room Correction algorithms, to name just three)....

hey we finally get lossless audio and you wanna screw around with dsp effects?!? :p technically, it'd still be digital...the receiver would also decode to lpcm before applying the dsp effects...

you're right of course, that hdmi < 1.3 support lpcm. how many hdmi receivers support 8ch pcm btw? i've avoided looking to avoid buying.

on the whole though, i'd rather the AVR support the codecs than the devices, since it just adds cost into all my devices if they have to decode to LPCM (licensing fees (which scale by # channels decoded), decoding silicon, etc)

.hacked

Smokey Bones said:

It is a Sony GRAND WEGA KDF-55WF655 55" LCD Projection HDTV.

The 40k I needed to cover attorneys fees and taxes for next year, so I flip a few investments and made an extra 40k, turns out I won't need it as I planed so I am going to open a savings account today with it (use it for my trip to Japan next year I guess). I just happened to get the check in the mail yesterday right before I watched Serenity.

DJ_Tet said:
Dude, are you taking in borders Morphix? I give good foot massages and can cook...:(

Not right now, the house is full as it is ;)

racerx77

Banned
Does anyone know if Million dollar baby is still due out this week? That was my most anticipated title.. what an amazing movie. :)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
C4Lukins said:
I am really trying to resist this until E3. I am hoping the 360 player will be under 200 bucks, and out in a few months. At least until Batman Begins comes out, I have no real compelling reason to make the jump.

What was the last word on the supposed 360 HD-DVD addon? I wasn't sure if it was ever officially annouced or not. I hope it doesn't take too long to come out, I really don't want to buy this $500 behemoth, as I don't have room on my rack...

FnordChan

.hacked said:

Well, this is almost enough to make me run out and buy a HD-DVD player...if I only had the HD TV to go along with it. Ah well. Thanks for the impressions and pics! I'm just going to sit here and slobber all over myself.

FnordChan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom