• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDLOADER - Found Impressions

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Xenosaga is a DVD-9 game....the game is actually 8 gigs or whatever. Obviously it didn't copy the whole game, but that's weird that the game still ran
Same thing with CoN. The game installs to 3GB (probably just the content of the first layer) but it works perfectly. I'm assuming it will crash at the point in the game where it's doing a layer switch.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Haha check out ebay. People are even selling HDLoaders + HDD + games installed, and in some cases NA also included.

tenchir

The Faceless Master said:
counterfeit as in not working? ... because there aren't many facilities out there that can press a disk that will boot on a PS2 ...

No, they work. But they are just counterfeit. You can identify them by missing bar code, manual errors, etc... Speaking of HDLoaders, HD_Dumper program is out that will let you install games into PS2 via ftp, I think. Some DVD9 games work such as Champions of Norrath. I have tried it yet.

tenchir said:
No, they work. But they are just counterfeit. You can identify them by missing bar code, manual errors, etc... Speaking of HDLoaders, HD_Dumper program is out that will let you install games into PS2 via ftp, I think. Some DVD9 games work such as Champions of Norrath. I have tried it yet.
from what i understand, the makers of HDLoader didn't ship any manuals or cases.. just the bare disks... and all the resellers all had to come up with the packaging on their own...

tenchir

The Faceless Master said:
from what i understand, the makers of HDLoader didn't ship any manuals or cases.. just the bare disks... and all the resellers all had to come up with the packaging on their own...

Nah, they provided the cases and manuals.

Fake Cover
http://www.ps2ownz.com/cover_fake.jpg
Real Cover
http://www.ps2ownz.com/cover_real.jpg

Fake Label
http://www.ps2ownz.com/cdtop_fake.jpg
Real Label
http://www.ps2ownz.com/cdtop_real.jpg

Fake CD Bottom
http://www.ps2ownz.com/cdbottom_fake.jpg
Real CD Bottom
http://www.ps2ownz.com/cdbottom_real.jpg

Fake Manual
http://www.ps2ownz.com/manual_fake.jpg
Real Manual
http://www.ps2ownz.com/manual_real.jpg

Rolio

bought success-fully last week from an unnamed hong kong website, and here i thought i was getting a great deal ($20 disk and $20 shipped for 4 day arrival)

after seeing the no bar code and cd tell-tale signs on my disk, i don't know what to think
i've had my hdloader for a week, and its been working great, so i guess i'm mostly afraid it'll crap out somewhere down the road

damn! bah!

Rolio said:
bought success-fully last week from an unnamed hong kong website, and here i thought i was getting a great deal ($20 disk and $20 shipped for 4 day arrival)

after seeing the no bar code and cd tell-tale signs on my disk, i don't know what to think
i've had my hdloader for a week, and its been working great, so i guess i'm mostly afraid it'll crap out somewhere down the road

damn! bah!
leave it up to them to bootleg it...

Gek54

Late to the party, is there any way to get the CD to stop spinning I mean what the fuck is the point of trying to preserve the mechanics of the PS2 that and the CD spinning is noisy.

jiggle

Gek54 said:
Late to the party, is there any way to get the CD to stop spinning I mean what the fuck is the point of trying to preserve the mechanics of the PS2 that and the CD spinning is noisy.

Once the program launched, you can take out the cd.
But if you mean the initial loading from the disc, it can't be skipped, unless you load it from the memory card with the proper modchip.

Actually there's another way besides taking the disc out. Before you choose a game to play, move your cursor over to "install", and then choose cancel. This will stop the drive spinning. Then just choose your game and play. They should have caught this before shipping but oh well.

tenchir

Gek54 said:
Looked all over, not finding info of this memory card exploit. Help!

Google + <PS2 memory card exploit HDLoader>

Or look for the tutorial on www.maxconsole.com

The exploit requires an original PS1 game. I also forget to mention that once HDLoader is installed into the memory card, you can basically boot the card from any PS2(doesn't require modchip) as long as you are using the original PS1 game.

yeah, playing via a DMS3 is awesome...
no disk in tray, just a memcard :D

e383a279.jpg

4d16e79f.jpg

Gek54

Ok, the memcard trick helps with the CD spinning. Wish I had a DMS so I wouldnt have to mess with a CD at all. You suck Faceless!

akihara said:
has anyone been able to get Gradius V to work with the HDLoader/Advance?
Nope. Gives me an error on installation, and when I try to run it I get a garbled, frozen NOW LOADING screen. Suuucks.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Gradius V can be ripped to a ISO and then installed properly, but when run, it gives the garbled "NOW LOADING" message and won't run beyond that point.

Just FYI, CD spinning by itself won't damage anything, because laser will not be active or moving while you play the game off the HDD. Also, I think the spinning should stop by itself after a while if you forget to spin it down by the described procedure.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
With that memory card exploit, is the file(s) on the PS2 memory card like hidden in the browser menu once installed?

Docpan

To stop the HDLoader disc from spinning, just select install, then cancel out when it says to put in the disc of the game to install...

The disc will stop spinning, and there is no need to open your tray! Now the only noise you will hear is the ps2 fan.

Defensor said:
With that memory card exploit, is the file(s) on the PS2 memory card like hidden in the browser menu once installed?
i dunno about the ps1 game exploit, but with the dms3, the files show up as corrupt blocks unless you go thru some work to make them show up as icons...

To stop the HDLoader disc from spinning, just select install, then cancel out when it says to put in the disc of the game to install...
10 or so posts above yours:

Actually there's another way besides taking the disc out. Before you choose a game to play, move your cursor over to "install", and then choose cancel. This will stop the drive spinning. Then just choose your game and play. They should have caught this before shipping but oh well.

Faplink is a utility that allows a user to send standard ISO images of playstation 2 games to the playstatioon 2 HDD to be used with HdLoader and Hdloader Advance. This is much like Winhiip but instead of having to move your HDD you can just use the specially designed "Fast Arm Protocol" and send from pc through ethernet cables, much like an ftp.
Source: http://fire.prohosting.com/outty/

and the wheels just keep turning...

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
About that fap ftp thingy... does that mean all games can potentially work now? Does some file have to be placed onto the PS2 HD first to be ftp-able??

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
HDL_DUMP v0.6 released! Posted By: Administrator On Today 02:42 AM

Today HDL_DUMP 0.6 was released with Network Adaptor support, so similar to FAPLink users will no longer have to remove their PS2 HDD from the console to transfer game images. Those interested can the latest version from HERE, and post all feedback in THIS Forum thread. Updates include:
a new command: cdvd_info that would display startup file and a volume label for any of the supported inputs
can install games via TCP/IP network; the average transfer speed is about 600KB per second when installing games and about 800KB per second when extracting games

and the wheels just keep turning...AGAIN

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Wario64 said:
So, are any sites selling HDDloader or is it gone for good?

HDLoader is dead but you can still find some, HDAdvance (which is a HDLoader hack I think it was proved) is supposed to be more compatible and use the same partition system (and thus the same tool) than HDLoader.

So if you can't get HDLoader get HDAdvance it's in practice the same stuff

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Wario64 said:
So, are any sites selling HDDloader or is it gone for good?
Diveno still sells thm IIRC. Or you could try out the memory card exploit. I have the HDloader and that memory card exploit did work too...

akihara

So do Faplink or HDL_Dump work entirely on the PC end, or do you need to run something on the PS2 as well? Anybody tried this yet?

Can someone point me directly to a clear explanation of the memory card exploit thingy and how to do it? I couldn't find it on that site someone else mentioned.

tenchir

Read the readme file, you would need to burn the files onto a CD in PS2 format. There's a single program in there that will let you connect to the PS2 once it boot up the CDs.

MC Exploit

tenchir said:
Read the readme file, you would need to burn the files onto a CD in PS2 format. There's a single program in there that will let you connect to the PS2 once it boot up the CDs.

MC Exploit

If this works it will be fantastic... HDLoader for free! If I have a memory card with the installed files I can use it on an unmodded PS2, right?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
adelgary said:
If this works it will be fantastic... HDLoader for free! If I have a memory card with the installed files I can use it on an unmodded PS2, right?
Yes, so long as you have a Hdd for the Hdloader.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Oh shit, I need to read this...how big is the HDDLoader program on the memory card?

er nm, 2 mb

you need a way to boot the cd-r you just created. i use the Swap Magic 2.0 CD, it works just fine for me.

eh, I don't have this :wariocry

Top Bottom