• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDTVTEST: Sorry, but Horizon Forbidden West's Gorgeous Visuals are TAINTED by Distracting Picture Quality Bugs

Arioco

So Vincent has analysed the game on his reference monitor with real time waveform analysis and he found out that the dynamic range becomes more compressed when you move the camera, which is restored once the scene becomes static again, causing brightness fluctuations that create an almost flickery effect, which is very distracting. And basically this is what so many people have been complaining about. Comparing to other tittles (specifically Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart) whe an see the dynamic range is the same when we move the camera.

Vincent states that the hot-fix launched by Guerrilla doesn't seem to have worked for him (same as many people have said) , so I hope they are already working in a patch that can solve the issue once and for all.

Guerrilla, you have some work to do here!

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
There might be a workaround. Disable motion blur and turn down the camera sensitivity to minimum. It worked for me and made 30 fps playable.

Highly recommend giving this a try over 60 fps which is frankly the worst way to experience this game. The 30 fps option without motion blur and camera sensitivity to Mount minimum feels surprisingly close to 60 fps.

This, 30fps feels really great with camera movement at 30%, en both sensitivity axis at 100%, and i have motionblur at low. Also filmmaker mode (Warm 1) is more responsive then game mode hdr.

There might be a workaround. Disable motion blur and turn down the camera sensitivity to minimum. It worked for me and made 30 fps playable.

Highly recommend giving this a try over 60 fps which is frankly the worst way to experience this game. The 30 fps option without motion blur and camera sensitivity to Mount minimum feels surprisingly close to 60 fps.
30 FPS is not even remotely close to 60, and it is quite noticeable when you switch them. I'm putting the game away entirely until they patch it.

Tschumi

I was playing Warhammer 3 earlier today, and i noticed two polar bears on the world map had a weird effect going on, fuzzy and kind of pulsating...

And i thought:
"You know what? Someone on gaf would probably shout "eureka!" and rush to feel smart pointing this out"

Then i thought:
"Better keep moving the tzarina towards the next city, what's for lunch..."

I feel so pure.

30 fps is fine in Forbidden West due to excellent input latency that makes the game still feel responsive but 60 fps is obviously better in terms of actual motion smoothness, especially on OLED TVs.

Personally, I played the game for 9 hours on the default 30 fps Resolution mode and had no issues with it despite my preference for 60 fps these days on my 55" LG B9 OLED TV. However, I did switch to the 60 fps Performance mode and have stuck with it despite the more noticeable pop in and sometimes distracting foliage shimmering due to the low resolution 3200x1800 checkerboard (effectively 1600x1800) resolution used. It just feels smoother to play but if the game had only shipped with a 30 fps mode then I honestly would have been fine with it.

My main reason for switching to 60 fps though wasn't for the higher framerate, it was actually to see if it reduced or fixed the annoyingly distracting camera cut stutter/pauses during cutscenes. And, no, sadly it doesn't, if anything it is worse than the 30 fps mode...

This game needs a 120 Hz 40 fps 4K checkerboard mode with a less aggressive sharpening filter to bridge the gap between the image quality of the 30 fps and 60 fps modes. Despite it working so well in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart it seems none of Sony's other first-parties are using this which is a real shame and a genuine missed opportunity.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Love how some posters here said it was due to the TV and not something wrong with the game. As if Sony games couldn't have bugs
That just says a lot about how rare they are
smug GIF

Love how some posters here said it was due to the TV and not something wrong with the game. As if Sony games couldn't have bugs
To be honest its all very weird. I haven't nocticed all these issues on my Ps5 and TV which is confusing. Maybe I am simply not able to see those issues, (lucky me I guess) or these bugs are not encountered by all PS5s and TV combinations.

BTW i have set up my Ps5 und TV (Sony KD-55XH9005) according to vincents Videos.
The only thing I disabled in the game is motion blur because I hate it generally.
I'm playing the game in resolution mode so far.

Last edited:

GHG

Lmao the tantric sex comment.

That said, it's clearly something guerrilla need to fix. What's strange though is the fact that not everyone seems to be getting/noticing this issue. I'll be interested to see what his HDR settings are for the game, it could be something that allows the issue to manifest.

I have my in game brightness slider set to -1 so will play around with it later and see if it's something that becomes noticeable at different brightness/highlights levels. I wish he would just release his settings immediately though.

It's also worth noting that I've been using my Philips OLED 805 for the game in a pitch black room with the ambilight on, so it could well be the ambilight offsetting the brightness fluctuations making them less noticeable to the eye. Will try turning that off later as well.

Last edited:

TonyK

This game needs a 120 Hz 40 fps 4K checkerboard mode with a less aggressive sharpening filter to bridge the gap between the image quality of the 30 fps and 60 fps modes. Despite it working so well in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart it seems none of Sony's other first-parties are using this which is a real shame and a genuine missed opportunity.
Exactly.

cormack12

Gold Member
Lmao the tantric sex comment.

I know :messenger_tears_of_joy: where the fuck did that come from, lmao.

Hopefully there will be a patch in the next week. I find the resolution mode unplayable on my X90H. It feels like I'm trying to drag a picture across my screen and it's resisting, I'll take whatever compromises for the 60fps at this moment until that is a proper smooth 30

Chukhopops

This, 30fps feels really great with camera movement at 30%, en both sensitivity axis at 100%, and i have motionblur at low. Also filmmaker mode (Warm 1) is more responsive then game mode hdr.
I can’t imagine the absolute nightmare of playing at 30 fps without game mode and with sensitivity turned down.

What’s the input lag on filmmaker mode cause I doubt it’s less than the 13ms you get in game mode?

60 fps is completely fine in HFW by the way.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I appreciate the attention and constructive criticism but if you didn't point this out to me I wouldn't probably have made a YouTube video about it but that is the internet these days. Now is it something that they could come in and polish up if they want to, of course. Otherwise no sense in making a mountain out of a molehill. Enjoy the game.

Outlier

I don't notice any issues with the HDR, but differences in image quality and performance between the modes are jarring.

60 FPS is buttery smooth most of the time and still looks fantastic, but the resolution absolutely tanks when there are too many character models on screen (mostly in cutscenes).

30 FPS is the real eyesore, for me. It feels lower than 30 and even though it is sharper and has better effects, but the eye shredding from anything moving faster than 2 mph is repulsive. That, or my eyes have just become too adjusted to 60 FPS gaming.

GG should definitely iron these issues out.

PaintTinJr

For anyone that has encoded video and tried using the method that maximises signal to noise ratio you typically get the same shimmering issue IIRC, so thinking about the adaptive rate feature of Kraken texture compression I suspect the problem is that the texture compression is too aggressive for the textures when mapped to geometry in motion - while still offering excellent signal to noise when the camera is static but cause this issue for some pixels as the geometry sweeps through in camera motion and the shader texture sampling the compressed texture filters the sample pixel to two widely different values in a small number of frames, causing these big discontinuities. An easy check would be for them to use raw uncompressed textures on a devkit in a troublesome scene and see if the problem goes away.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Is that so? Maybe some people prefer the resolution mode for better graphics over better framerate?

Yes, that is so. On console that would be the case.
Can't remember when was the last time I play a AAA game at 30 fps.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I am playing on 30fps with default motion blur and dont have that bug. Brightness in hdr is kept the same when I am spinning around.
It does seem like a bug for those who have it or some TVs are worse at handling this "feature"

Top Bottom