• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Headset VR for Series X? Maybe.

John117

Hey Guys,
HP announced the new headset HP Reverb (partner with Steam-Microsoft) Maybe we are front at the new headset for Series X. I think that there will be TWO version for this headset:

1) For PC- High Quality- Wireless adaptor like HTC Cosmos
2) For Series X

What do you think?
Y9FAcZY.jpg

Tamy

Banned
I think Microsoft really wants to focus now on Games and having the most powerful machine. Like having the best possible gaming console, low latency controller, best graphics etc.

Thats why they don't want to focus now on gimmicks and VR is a gimmick so far, but maybe in a few years, they will support third party VR headsets, because why not?

John117

I think Microsoft really wants to focus now on Games and having the most powerful machine. Like having the best possible gaming console, low latency controller, best graphics etc.

Thats why they don't want to focus now on gimmicks and VR is a gimmick so far, but maybe in a few years, they will support third party VR headsets, because why not?
My erotic dream: Halo VR with Cortana Hologram

Alx

I don't know about Series X and VR, but it wouldn't be a good idea to have one version of the headset for each platform. Having a single device working "everywhere" would make it a much easier sell.

VR is the most amazing experience I've had this gen. I agree that MS needs to worry about games more. But if some 3rd party can do all the hard work and bring the Hardware to the Series X and all MS really needs to do, is provide the drivers. I would like to see it happen and get Half-Life VR on the series X.

I wouldn't want MS to invest in their own VR for the Series X mind

Shmunter

It’s all about the install base and if it’s large enough to support a consoles within a console. VR is it’s own platform after all, it just utilises the compute power of the host.

HP's headset will be quickly forgotten just like the previous one. Maybe some enterprises will care.

MS will probably take a few more years before they'll come up with an Xbox compatible headset, but it would probably make sense that the same headset could be used for PC as well. Maybe they'll work with some other company, but they might as well make their own too.

I think MS is mostly biding its time waiting for tech and costs to go down, as well as building their base for next gen. It never made any sense for MS to try to cobble together something like PSVR. Sony had the user base and repurposable controllers, but gen 1 PSVR is little more than a practice project for the future.

Romulus

VR is not a gimmick at all. I play hardcore flight and racing simulators that are leagues above anything else. It's the real deal. Not to mention AAA games like Half Life.

Gimmicks are shit like kinect, Wii etc

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
There is already a thread for this
When the software is ready eventually Microsoft will release its own VR headset to support Windows Mixed Reality. Windows Mixed Reality also supports Steam VR. Its supposed to be a VR platform not specifically tied to Xbox, although Xbox will also be tied to it in future.

Last edited:
VR is not a gimmick at all. I play hardcore flight and racing simulators that are leagues above anything else. It's the real deal. Not to mention AAA games like Half Life.

MS focuses on whatever gets them paid. I've seen them go from hardcore to Kinectimals in a heartbeat.

Bernkastel

Imagine if Microsoft got half life alyx as a console exclusive for series X.
Windows Mixed Reality is not tied to Xbox but as a VR platform it supports Steam VR. Eventually you would be able to use Mixed Reality headsets with Xbox and Microsoft will make its own Mixed Reality headset. Also, the VR headset shown in OP can play Half Life Alyx, its also a Windows Mixed Reality device.

Bernkastel

MS focuses on whatever gets them paid. I've seen them go from hardcore to Kinectimals in a heartbeat.
Maybe thats why Sony shuts down online services and studios which dont make them any money ? Microsoft has a VR platform, just not tied to Xbox.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Xbox better have its proprietary headset, WMR's two cameras won't cut it with its poor tracking that is already outclassed by something like Oculus Rift S.

Bernkastel

Depends on PS5 VR2 success.
Fact
Yup.

MS is in wait and see mode for VR on Xbox.

If Sony happens to meet success with PSVR2, MS will follow suit. Otherwise they wont bother.
Windows Mixed Reality was first revealed on 2016 before PSVR was a success. Just because they have not revealed their own hardware does not mean they are not working on it. Contrary to what GAF thinks these things take years of R&D. If next year Microsoft reveals their headset, GAF would think they hastily put together something in months.
Follows Sony? More than half of what Microsoft hardware team has not been done before. From Hololens(and now Magic Leap is copying that, both US and Japanses military signed deals with MS for this device) to weird Surface devices(like the Studio and Book, the Pro inspired Windows tablets from OEMs and even Apple copied some of its stuffs when they made iPad Pro) to now Neo/Duo(Courier concept was first shown in 2010). Even the Kinect has been spun off into a separate thing and helps in other things like medical science and has its clients. They hardly ever followed anyone in their hardware.
Or what, are you gonna pull a TheLastWord on me and say that Xbox Series X hardware features are based on PS5 ? VR is not a Sony invention. Just because something came after Sony does not it was copied from them. There VR efforts are different from Sony and anyone else for that. They literally created a platform for VR and let any OEM make a VR device with their platform. And that has lead to the hp headset in OP. How is that even remotely similar to Sony ? Ofcourse it would take way more time than just creating your own closed VR platform. I am actually excited for the future Windows Mixed Reality as it is actually something different.

John117

Windows Mixed Reality was first revealed on 2016 before PSVR was a success. Just because they have not revealed their own hardware does not mean they are not working on it. Contrary to what GAF thinks these things take years of R&D. If next year Microsoft reveals their headset, GAF would think they hastily put together something in months.
Follows Sony? More than half of what Microsoft hardware team has not been done before. From Hololens(and now Magic Leap is copying that, both US and Japanses military signed deals with MS for this device) to weird Surface devices(like the Studio and Book, the Pro inspired Windows tablets from OEMs and even Apple copied some of its stuffs when they made iPad Pro) to now Neo/Duo(Courier concept was first shown in 2010). Even the Kinect has been spun off into a separate thing and helps in other things like medical science and has its clients. They hardly ever followed anyone in their hardware.
Or what, are you gonna pull a TheLastWord on me and say that Xbox Series X hardware features are based on PS5 ? VR is not a Sony invention. Just because something came after Sony does not it was copied from them. There VR efforts are different from Sony and anyone else for that. They literally created a platform for VR and let any OEM make a VR device with their platform. And that has lead to the hp headset in OP. How is that even remotely similar to Sony ? Ofcourse it would take way more time than just creating your own closed VR platform. I am actually excited for the future Windows Mixed Reality as it is actually something different.
I love your reply <3

njean777

I wouldn't call it a gimmick, but it isn't worth the effort at this time to put any man power into it. I mean the good headsets are near 1000$ or 500$. Thats the cost of a whole console (well should be). No reason to support a niche right now unless somebody can put out a good headset that isn't expensive and is a good buy, I say 150-250$ is the magic spot along with not having to have a huge room to play the games. VR just isn't worth it unless you are dedicated to it, or actively trying to make it viable (valve, Occulus). So I wouldn't be surprised if MS doesn't do anything with VR for the xbox this gen as it isn't ready for mass adoption yet.

We all know they are doing the mixed reality stuff, so they may be working on something, but I don't think it will be for the masses. IDK I could be totally wrong, but I just don't see it right now.

Last edited:

Romulus

I wouldn't call it a gimmick, but it isn't worth the effort at this time to put any man power into it. I mean the good headsets are near 1000$ or 500$. Thats the cost of a whole console (well should be). No reason to support a niche right now unless somebody can put out a good headset that isn't expensive and is a good buy, I say 150-250$ is the magic spot along with not having to have a huge room to play the games. VR just isn't worth it unless you are dedicated to it, or actively trying to make it viable (valve, Occulus). So I wouldn't be surprised if MS doesn't do anything with VR for the xbox this gen as it isn't ready for mass adoption yet.

We all know they are doing the mixed reality stuff, so they may be working on something, but I don't think it will be for the masses. IDK I could be totally wrong, but I just don't see it right now.

Maybe the reason it isn't ready for mass adoption is partly misinformation.

For one, your prices are outdated. You don't need a $500-1000 headset anymore. Thats a myth.

Rift S is top tier headset for $400.

The Samsung Odyssey+ is $250 and very good. Both have been sold out for months though.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
there’s no reason why the Series X cant use this exact headset (and all other MR at least), other than MS not wanting VR on the platform.

And the thing is, MS has said they aren’t doing VR on the platform. So... if you want VR its either PC or PS.

Bernkastel

there’s no reason why the Series X cant use this exact headset (and all other MR at least), other than MS not wanting VR on the platform.

And the thing is, MS has said they aren’t doing VR on the platform. So... if you want VR its either PC or PS.
They didnt say they wont. They said it will come later. They dont want to create a separate Xbox VR like PSVR for Xbox. They want Mixed Reality to be the one VR platform for both PC and Xbox(and any OEM can create a headset in that platform) and it would also be compatible with Steam VR. XSX seems to be using Windows Core OS like Mixed Reality, so I guess we will see it in a few years.

INC

They already have VR. The just have not made their own hardware and tied it to Xbox(yet), for example the headset shown in OP. WMR also supports Steam VR.

Contrary to what people think they are invested in VR(and its big).

WMR......lol, I guess that's a start

Just allow a rift and they're good, wmr is awful and shouldnt be an option

Last edited:
Maybe thats why Sony shuts down online services and studios which dont make them any money ? Microsoft has a VR platform, just not tied to Xbox.
Th
[/QUOTEI never even mentioned Sony. The thread is about VR and Series X. Can't tell me VR is a gimmick that MS is above when I've seen MS go for lower.
I never even mentioned Sony. The thread is about VR and Series X. 😑 Can't tell me VR is a gimmick that MS is above when I've seen MS go for lower.

Flintty

I really wanted them to just allow the Rift S to be plugged in and leave it to devs to decide whether or not to support VR. Can’t see that happening now, looking at the ports on the back. Unless it’s possible to use an adapter to go from Display Port to USB?

lukilladog

At some point the investors will wake up and realize VR isn´t the next big thing in entertainment, not even close.

njean777

For one, your prices are outdated. You don't need a $500-1000 headset anymore. Thats a myth.

The Samsung Odyssey+ is $250 and very good. Both have been sold out for months though.

400$ is still too much, 250 is nice, but it doesn't work with the Xbox. VR will be viable when it is cheap and worth the asking price. It isn't viable enough to warrant it at this time. It still is a specialty device and will be for the foreseeable future.

Just think about this. I am asking you for 500$ for a new console (XSX, PS5) and then asking for another 250+ for a headset that isn't gonna work on every game and isn't mandatory.... not gonna happen. That is the issue. it isn't mandatory and probably will never be for a long time.

Last edited:

Dane

I think they gonna let any model in, Microsoft has been on enterprise side rather than gaming on VR.

400 is still on the highest price for an add-on. That's the price of a premium console with games.

Also Half Life Alyx was a success, but compared to the previous entries, it still got a looong way, I don't get why people say that Valve steps up their game to justify a VR only experience, when they always did in a very affordable manner.

Romulus

400$ is still too much, 250 is nice, but it doesn't work with the Xbox. VR will be viable when it is cheap and worth the asking price. It isn't viable enough to warrant it at this time. It still is a specialty device and will be for the foreseeable future.

Just think about this. I am asking you for 500$ for a new console (XSX, PS5) and then asking for another 250+ for a headset that isn't gonna work on every game and isn't mandatory.... not gonna happen. That is the issue. it isn't mandatory and probably will never be for a long time.

I'm just correcting what you said. Great VR can be had for well under $500. Everything else is an opinion because VR is sold out almost everywhere, well before Cov19.

Romulus

At some point the investors will wake up and realize VR isn´t the next big thing in entertainment, not even close.

Nope, it'll continue to grow and sit beside regular gaming from now on. Too many power players involved. You'll have to sit on the sidelines and watch big franchises go VR, all the while it'll get cheaper, smaller, and more powerful. :) Alyx extended its life at least another 2 years on top the already 6-8 it had left. Enjoy.

DaGwaphics

I really wanted them to just allow the Rift S to be plugged in and leave it to devs to decide whether or not to support VR. Can’t see that happening now, looking at the ports on the back. Unless it’s possible to use an adapter to go from Display Port to USB?

You would need an HDMI to DP adapter, the console will have USB. I would assume that they would go with WMR, those headsets still use HDMI I think. Plus, I think they would opt for their own ecosystem over an outside platform.

njean777

Sold out
I'm just correcting what you said. Great VR can be had for well under $500. Everything else is an opinion because VR is sold out almost everywhere, well before Cov19.

Sold out sure, but how many units were produced? It just is a wishy washy technology. It seems it is interesting, but would it be enough to pull the trigger and invest, right now we can see it is not. Who knows in the future....

Romulus

Sold out

Sold out sure, but how many units were produced? It just is a wishy washy technology. It seems it is interesting, but would it be enough to pull the trigger and invest, right now we can see it is not. Who knows in the future....

That just tells you its exceeding demand though. Literally 3 of the top headsets have been sold out over 4 months. I could understand one headset for a couple of weeks but no. Not to mention more AAA games in a 10 month window than its entire history, combined.

This is how it starts. how is the tech wish washy? I don't know what that means.

Last edited:

Resenge

That just tells you its exceeding demand though. Literally 3 of the top headsets have been sold out over 4 months. I could understand one headset for a couple of weeks but no. Not to mention more AAA games in a 10 month window than its entire history, combined.

This is how it starts. how is the tech wish washy? I don't know what that means.
I have been watching Oculus bring new stock and it selling out within an hour for the past couple of months too. Lots of people on reddit complaining they cant get a Rift S or Quest because they sell out too fast + scalpers. The demand is definatly there and I see it getting much stronger over the past 6 months.

turtlepowa

Banned
I think Microsofts just waits what happens with VR. I mean not even 5% of the PS4 owners bought one and that was the best selling VR on the market. Even Kinect had a higher spread rate and it lies dead behind the barn.

Wonko_C

I think Microsofts just waits what happens with VR. I mean not even 5% of the PS4 owners bought one and that was the best selling VR on the market. Even Kinect had a higher spread rate and it lies dead behind the barn.
New products that blow up in a short time tend to fizzle out just as fast, while VR started slow and keeps its steady growth YoY.

turtlepowa

Banned
New products that blow up in a short time tend to fizzle out just as fast, while VR started slow and keeps its steady growth YoY.
I hope you are right, because i like it, But i think i in a few years it will only be a big thing for business purposes and not for gaming. Time will tell.

Top Bottom