• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
They could also just make a common/class card only brawl (no rares, epics or legendaries), though even that I suppose would have people complaining about it being not fun.

Next week's will probably end up being a 30 card deck filled with 0-mana cost Rags, RNG or bust.

Edit I guess they have to be at least 1 mana or the player who goes first will always win turn 1.

Played the matches of the new break. Got my pack. Fun mode, but not fun enough for me to play it past getting my pack. Looking back, somehow, week #1 was the best overall.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
wow 63,000 viewers watching ATLC, i think that's the highest amount of viewers that i have seen on a Hearthstone stream like ever.

daemissary

Tavern Brawl is fine, they just need to find a way to incentivize winning more than one game.

Like maybe give out a pack for 1st win, 20th win, 50th win. Or just have a separate ranking system in Brawl.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I find the real flaw with this incarnation of Tavern Brawl is that many of the decks actually work against themselves.

Like, you really don't want to play Arcane Explosion as a Mage against a field full of Webspinners but it's in the deck for some reason. These aren't just RNG decks, but RNG decks that are actively built to lose. And Holy Wrath just makes no sense when it's on average 5 mana for deal 1 draw 1.

Dahbomb

I would've enjoyed it more if Blizzard just put 20 Web Spinners in my deck automatically and I could pick my other 10 cards.

No fun playing with shit like Eye for an Eye, Redemption and Holy Wrath in this mode.

Haly

It's like they actually filled the decks with 20 webspinners and then clicked "auto complete".

I find the real flaw with this incarnation of Tavern Brawl is that many of the decks actually work against themselves.

Like, you really don't want to play Arcane Explosion as a Mage against a field full of Webspinners but it's in the deck for some reason. These aren't just RNG decks, but RNG decks that are actively built to lose. And Holy Wrath just makes no sense when it's on average 5 mana for deal 1 draw 1.

AE got me an easy win as mage. I cleared 3 webspinners and played a 2 mana minion with 4 mana. That was strong. You're almost guaranteed to get value off AE in this mode. You win this mode with board control.

Also, people are saying the spells you get in a deck are random.

Dahbomb

It's like they actually filled the decks with 20 webspinners and then clicked "auto complete".
That's what's happening every time you play the game mode except they are excluding other minions.

So it's 20 Web Spinners + No other minions + only spells from that class = Auto complete.

Majine

Banned
I have no problem with RNG fights, but webspinner only spawns beasts. That's boring RNG. After you've played Gahz'rilla and pinged it as a mage, you've basically seen the mountain top.

Magnus

So I dunno, I just had this feeling that it was time to buy a bunch of packs again. It's been many months. Bought 15x GvG packs because I thought, hey, I'm still missing a bunch of epics and legendaries in there, and who knows?

Not only did I land a second Piloted Sky Golem that I needed, one of each of the druid epics (Tree of Life and Dark Whispers - didn't have the latter yet), a golden Snowchugger, and a golden Recombobulator (yay 400 dust!), these three popped out. My second ever golden legendary, and my first pack with two of the fuckers in it!

I'm happy as hell. But damn, it's like Blizzard knew I was coming. I'm so tempted to buy another 15...

LEGENDARY CANADA DAY BOYS

AxyCRPo.jpg

eb1ynze.jpg

Dahbomb

Hemet would be pretty good in this Brawl....

Nah he would still be shit. Would die to 3 Web Spinners on this board!

Brawl was kind of boring. I was playing as a Mage and got board control on turn 5 with a Stampeding Kodo and then trading my Webspinners for the other guy's and then just held it from there. But it took so damn long to close the game out because most of my minions were Webspinners so I didn't have much damage output. I wound up filling my hand up with an Echo of Medivh while I had Kodo + 3 Webspinners on board, and finally pulled 2X The Beast to force him to concede.

Schryver

I am tempted to waste money on more packs just because I don't want to spend dust crafting 1x Molten Giant, 2x Sea Giants, and Tyrion for the deck I wanna try. The odds of me getting any of those cards is so low though. Life decisions

Dahbomb

damn that's a lot of viewers i wonder if they will get more this year. Also i went from rank 16 to 11 today, feels good.
It's going to be a lot higher than that this year, would not be surprised to see somewhere between 150K-200K. Hearthstone has blown up a lot since a year ago.

Haly

AE got me an easy win as mage. I cleared 3 webspinners and played a 2 mana minion with 4 mana. That was strong. You're almost guaranteed to get value off AE in this mode. You win this mode with board control.

Also, people are saying the spells you get in a deck are random.

Killing Webspinners gives the other guy card advantage.

It's pretty much the last thing you ever want to do.

Like, if you have a field of Webspinners and they have a field of Webspinners, playing Arcane Explosion actually works against you because suddenly they have all kinds of options and you have no outlets for your Webspinners and you're down 2 mana. The point is to have them die. They're like Loot Hoarders but much less useful and much more volatile.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Like, if you have a field of Webspinners and they have a field of Webspinners, playing Arcane Explosion actually works against you because suddenly they have all kinds of options and you have no outlets for your Webspinners and you're down 2 mana. The point is to have them die. They're like Loot Hoarders but much less useful and much more volatile.

Yes but how exactly are you going to kill your own webspinners if your opponent doesn't drop their own options? Are you going to run webspinners into webspinners? Meanwhile, if you don't play that arcane explosion, and play something like another beast, they can use their webspinners to kill your beasts or whatever and get a lot more value out of their webspinners.

All of those webspinners are going to die eventually. The key is to ensure that they get as little value our of their 1/1 bodies as possible.

Haly

Yes but how exactly are you going to kill your own webspinners if your opponent doesn't drop their own options? Are you going to run webspinners into webspinners? Meanwhile, if you don't play that arcane explosion, and play something like another beast, they can use their webspinners to kill your beasts or whatever and get a lot more value out of their webspinners.

Let's say the field is 3 webspinners vs 3 webspinners. It's turn 3. You went first.

If you play Arcane Explosion now, you will only have two mana left to spent on beasts but on their turn, they will have 3 mana to spend on 3 potential beasts on top of whatever Webspinners they have in their hand.

It's like, why would I ever want to give my opponents more options? It is tantamount to playing Arcane Explosion against a Warrior that has two Acolytes of Pain up. An even Webspinner trade at least gives both of you the same amount of beasts.

There's a card in MTG called Howling Mine.
Image.ashx

In a vacuum, it's a bad card, because you spend 2 mana on YOUR turn to give them an extra card on THEIR turn. This is what Arcane Exposion/Consecrate is in this mode, at least in the early game.

Anyway all this is moot because the class cards are apparently random but this is how I see it.

Should I start saving gold for the next card set?

Probably, been doing that for a few weeks now. Who knows what they will do but I don't really have anything else to get other then a few epics and decent-ish not in the meta legendaries like Ysera, Troggzor, Geddon and Sneeds so I'm just sitting on my gold

Killing Webspinners gives the other guy card advantage.

It's pretty much the last thing you ever want to do.

Hmmm, it really isn't giving them card advantage the way you think is important. Because every webspinner you keep on board is a card as well. And they can't play all their cards fast enough for that to matter. I lost hard when a rogue used FoK on turn 3. It mattered little that I had card advantage when he was winning on board.

Dahbomb

Thing is that if you clear their 3-4 Web Spinners while having 3-4 of your own with Arcane Explosion, when they play a minion your 3-4 Web Spinners can trade into it and then you get to play your big minion to maintain board control.

You basically want to be in a position where you trade Web Spinners and then play the cards as you get them for maximum value.

And you can't afford to leave Web Spinners on the board when stuff like Timberwolfs/Direwolfs are such common drops. Also stuff like King of Beasts and Scavenger can wreck your day if you leave Spinners alive.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Hmmm, it really isn't giving them card advantage the way you think is important. Because every webspinner you keep on board is a card as well. And they can't play all their cards fast enough for that to matter. I lost hard when a rogue used FoK on turn 3. It mattered little that I had card advantage when he was winning on board.

Yeah, and Rogue might actually be the best class for this challenge because their hero power can kill two webspinners.

Dreavus

I won a couple just by playing hunter and NEVER trading. I felt kinda bad after tbh. Saw the King Krush animation for the first time though!

I think Blizzard could be alternating the goal of the tavern brawl each week. It seems the first and the third week brawls were/are "for fun" modes, where you don't have to worry about building a deck and just play for the ridiculousness. The second week's brawl let you build a deck to take in and opened up some new strategies (it still leaned pretty heavily on RNG too). I'm guessing next week is another "thinker's" brawl with deckbuilding, if they're following any kind of pattern.

Just make it where every spell you use also casts Unstable Portal.

P.S. Just got my Golden Priest. That's three along with my Rogue and Shaman. Hopefully we get new content soon so I can make something else dumb to play.

JesseZao

Just played against a priest in an EU arena run 4 wins in. The guy played at minimum 5 Velen's Chosen. It was insane! I just couldn't keep up in the end.

manhack

So fun to win an unfavorable match up when the other player keeps spamming emotes.

Was playing as Priest to finish some dailies. This Handlock keeps spamming "sorry' and "thank you" as the game went on. I ended up having to burn both my lightbombs and he played Jarraxxus. It was looking pretty ugly at that point.

Somehow with the right combo of ysera, sylvannas, and sneed shredder, Harrison and mind control I managed to steal 2 of his Infernals and win the game...whew.

Tamanon

Banned
Of course I would open my first Legendary in the pack from winning a brawl match, and of course for this brawl, it would be The Beast.

Yeah the brawl isn't very fun but kind of amusing when casting a mass dispel results in a huge blowout. At least my brawl packs got me a Lorewalker Cho and Ysera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom