• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseZao

Battlecries and hero abilities never benefit from spell power, and neither do the sub-spells in "choose one". All other damage-dealing spells do, even ones that aren't obvious like Blade Flurry and Shadowflame.

I just didn't know explicitly about battlecries. (I've never run spell power in warrior, so I had never come upon the play before)

ZZMitch

Apparently, the thing that unstealths a minion is the "minion deals damage" trigger and not the "minion attacks" trigger. Knife Juggler unstealths itself when it throws a knife because the game tracks that damage back to the Knife Juggler. Imp Master unstealths itself when it deals damage to itself at the end of your turn, because the game doesn't actually care what the minion deals damage to.

The difference between the "deals damage" trigger and the "attacks" trigger is also the reason why Foe Reaper doesn't deal damage to itself twice if you use Betrayal on it. Note the difference in card text between it and Snowchugger, which will freeze the minions it hits if you use Betrayal on it, since its effect is tied to the "deals damage" trigger and not the "attacks" trigger:

Foe-Reaper-4000.png

463-8888888-standard-1416852972.png

Ah cool. Super interesting stuff! I'll look out for these strange scenarios in future arena runs heh.

Tacitus_

Another fun fact with Betrayal: if the minion has "kill the minion it damages" effect, it will kill anything it betrays. Divine shields are the exception since it does 0 damage to them.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I feel like cruel taskmaster should benefit from spell power :/. (I got a thalnos from a shredder and wanted to try it.)

Any other minions with battlecries that say deal x damage, but don't get buffed by spell power? Is it just that battlecries are immune?

Minions are never effected by spellpower. Only spell cards are. It's not just a battlecry thing, for example, the effect on wild pyromancer is not affected by spellpower either. Or knife juggler, etc. It has to be a spell that you play from the hand. So while Cruel Taskmaster isn't affected by Spellpower, Inner Rage most certainly IS.

Rapstah

Mistress of Pain ("Whenever this minion deals damage, restore that much Health to your hero") kills you if you have an Auchenai Soulpriest and deal damage with it, because its inverted healing counts as "deals damage" like Knife Juggler throwing knives or Imp Master hurting itself at the end of your turn, so its card text triggers itself.

It's pretty crazy at how many points in the minion summoning process, or the minion attack process, there are hooks for stuff to trigger. Hearthstone would make an insane real card game.

OK, I guess I'll twitch some Hearthstone and then maybe you guys can give me a better idea of what I'm doing wrong? check out my twitch channel

So I watched three of your games. I wrote some of my criticisms in chat, but I'm not sure you saw them. One thing I noticed is that you don't seem to be thinking your plays all the way through. In one game your sequence of plays was:
>ping 4/1 blademaster
>Flamestrike
> Attack with 4/5 into 3/1 Auchenai

When the clearly better play was:
>Flamestrike
>Ping 3/1 Auchenai

In another game, the mage had 3 secrets. Mage has a few secrets that you need to test for before they screw things up for you. They can be tested for as follows:
>Ice Barrier or Vaporize > Hit Face
>Mirror Entity > play a weak minion
>Counterspell > play a weak spell or a spell that isn't essential
>Spellbender > play a spell on a MINION (the distinction is important)
>Duplicate > kill your opponent's weakest minion (or just ignore his minions; not always possible)
>Ice Block > Attempt to kill your opponent

You also seem to value the coin a bit too much. I usually use the coin to accelerate a 4 drop on turn 3 to smooth the curve. But multiple times you chose to play a two drop on turn 3 rather then coin out a perfectly serviceable four drop like yeti.

In the last game against priest that I watched you play, the priest cleared your board on turn 5, leaving you an empty board. So you chose to play river croc....and fireball him in the face? There was absolutely no reason for this play. The strongest play was to play one of your darkscale healers, but it was never a correct play to throw the fireball in his face. You should only start using burn on your opponent's face when it's going to kill him or if you're desperate.

These are just some of the things I saw watching you. Hope the advice helps.

Xanathus

Alright, I'm giving away my 10 dollar winnings from Fixed1979's Hearthstone tourney to ONE person who has posted at least once in the last Hearthstone thread. All you have to do is make an original picture of a fake Hearthstone card that could be believably coming out in the upcoming Hearthstone expansion Blackrock Mountain. Feel free to use any tool you want to make the picture, Paint even works as I consider how believable the card is to be worth 50% of the value.

Remember, only people who have posted in the previous thread are eligible for this contest. You can see if you have posted before here. I'll have Fixed1979 transfer the money to the winner's Paypal account directly because transferring it through mine will incur Paypal fees.

Entries will be acccepted until:
t1426924800z4.png

hutna

Got enough dust to craft a legendary. Trying to choose between:

Dr. Boom
Ragnaros
Sylvanos

Alternatively I could craft a few epics I dont have (the Giants, ice block, force of nature, etc.)

Any opinions?

JesseZao

Minions are never effected by spellpower. Only spell cards are. It's not just a battlecry thing, for example, the effect on wild pyromancer is not affected by spellpower either. Or knife juggler, etc. It has to be a spell that you play from the hand. So while Cruel Taskmaster isn't affected by Spellpower, Inner Rage most certainly IS.

I guess it's just something I've never thought about or considered. Not sure why taskmaster made me wonder and not other cards.

I knew this would be some folks' answer. Only reason I thought twice and didn't just craft him right away is I'm not sure what deck I'd put him in. I mostly play zoolock, freeze mage and fatigue Druid.

Well if that's the case...really none of those legendaries you mentioned are really played in those decks iirc.

So, I'd still go for boom. Wider range of play.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I knew this would be some folks' answer. Only reason I thought twice and didn't just craft him right away is I'm not sure what deck I'd put him in. I mostly play zoolock, freeze mage and fatigue Druid.

Boom as a finisher in Zoo is perfectly serviceable. I play him in face hunter lol.
Not as sure about freeze mage and almost certainly won't work in fatigue druid.

Still the bonus with Boom is that you get him now and when the inevitable nerf to a 7/5 (or 5/7 trololololol) or whatever else comes, you can get the another ones you want free.

hutna

Well if that's the case...really none of those legendaries you mentioned are really played in those decks iirc.

So, I'd still go for boom. Wider range of play.

yeah Boom would make my mech mage deck probably viable for ladder. With syllvanas I could probably retool my freeze mage deck into a fatigue Mage deck; she is also ok in a fatigue Druid deck I think. Ragnaros seems to be in as many decks as boom is (I could totally be wrong about that, it's just my feeling).

At the same time not having some of those epics I mentioned prevents me from making certain decks so I'm just not sure what the best value for dust would be.

Danj

So I watched three of your games. I wrote some of my criticisms in chat, but I'm not sure you saw them. One thing I noticed is that you don't seem to be thinking your plays all the way through. In one game your sequence of plays was:
>ping 4/1 blademaster
>Flamestrike
> Attack with 4/5 into 3/1 Auchenai

When the clearly better play was:
>Flamestrike
>Ping 3/1 Auchenai

In another game, the mage had 3 secrets. Mage has a few secrets that you need to test for before they screw things up for you. They can be tested for as follows:
>Ice Barrier or Vaporize > Hit Face
>Mirror Entity > play a weak minion
>Counterspell > play a weak spell or a spell that isn't essential
>Spellbender > play a spell on a MINION (the distinction is important)
>Duplicate > kill your opponent's weakest minion (or just ignore his minions; not always possible)
>Ice Block > Attempt to kill your opponent

You also seem to value the coin a bit too much. I usually use the coin to accelerate a 4 drop on turn 3 to smooth the curve. But multiple times you chose to play a two drop on turn 3 rather then coin out a perfectly serviceable four drop like yeti.

In the last game against priest that I watched you play, the priest cleared your board on turn 5, leaving you an empty board. So you chose to play river croc....and fireball him in the face? There was absolutely no reason for this play. The strongest play was to play one of your darkscale healers, but it was never a correct play to throw the fireball in his face. You should only start using burn on your opponent's face when it's going to kill him or if you're desperate.

These are just some of the things I saw watching you. Hope the advice helps.

That's helpful, thanks.

I'm using OBS, if it has a way to display Twitch chat I don't know how to set that up, so I wouldn't have seen anything written in chat.

There seems to be some sort of overpowered cheat card - I just had it used on me in my most recent game, Jaraxxas or something? He replaces the opponent and has overpowered attacks and hero powers, I was lucky to last as long as I did.

Why does this game allow people with powerful cards like that to compete at lower ranks? There should be some sort of subdivision depending on the cost of your deck or something.

Still Twitching here if anyone else wants to see me get owned some more.

ZealousD

For Xanthus's contest: I decided to make two!

tjdqPrz.png

c7ohPYK.png

I made a Blackwing Drake to be kind of an alternate Azure Drake, for classes that can't utilize spellpower very well. It.... might be OP? I'm unsure how often the enrage effect would come into play. It would stick the card into BGH range, which is an interesting side effect.

Vaelastrasz was meant to fit the theme of his WoW encounter. He basically has Ysera's Nightmare as a battlecry. I wasn't sure how powerful Nightmare would actually be if it was a card by itself, 2 or 3 mana I guess, so I'm not particularly confident with the stats. I think he's strong, if maybe a tad bit clunky.

That's helpful, thanks.

I'm using OBS, if it has a way to display Twitch chat I don't know how to set that up, so I wouldn't have seen anything written in chat.

There seems to be some sort of overpowered cheat card - I just had it used on me in my most recent game, Jaraxxas or something? He replaces the opponent and has overpowered attacks and hero powers, I was lucky to last as long as I did.

Why does this game allow people with powerful cards like that to compete at lower ranks? There should be some sort of subdivision depending on the cost of your deck or something.

Still Twitching here if anyone else wants to see me get owned some more.

Jaraxxus is a Warlock legendary, and yes, it's extremely powerful. However, it drops the warlock's health to 15. Since Jaraxxus costs 9 mana, the most warlock can usually do that turn is attack with the weapon. If you have a decent board, you can usually run Jaraxxus over, but if not, his hero power and weapon will out value you. Mage actually has the easiest way to kill Jaraxxus, since fireball fireball frostbolt kills deals 15 exactly.

For Xanthus's contest: I decided to make two!

I made a Blackwing Drake to be kind of an alternate Azure Drake, for classes that can't utilize spellpower very well. It.... might be OP? I'm unsure how often the enrage effect would come into play. It would stick the card into BGH range, which is an interesting side effect.

Vaelastrasz was meant to fit the theme of his WoW encounter. He basically has Ysera's Nightmare as a battlecry. I wasn't sure how powerful Nightmare would actually be if it was a card by itself, 2 or 3 mana I guess, so I'm not particularly confident with the stats. I think he's strong, if maybe a tad bit clunky.

Vaelastrasz is awesome. Me likey.

KePoW

Banned
Boom as a finisher in Zoo is perfectly serviceable. I play him in face hunter lol

lol I'm a big Face Hunter fan and also like Dr. Boom as a general card, but I don't see how they would be used together?

Not sure it's useful for Face Hunter, what do yall think?

Danj

Jaraxxus is a Warlock legendary, and yes, it's extremely powerful. However, it drops the warlock's health to 15. Since Jaraxxus costs 9 mana, the most warlock can usually do that turn is attack with the weapon. If you have a decent board, you can usually run Jaraxxus over, but if not, his hero power and weapon will out value you. Mage actually has the easiest way to kill Jaraxxus, since fireball fireball frostbolt kills deals 15 exactly.

But if you've already used either of your fireballs this isn't going to help. Anyway hopefully I'll never see the damn thing ever again. Still stuck at rank 20, still getting owned.

Rapstah

But if you've already used either of your fireballs this isn't going to help. Anyway hopefully I'll never see the damn thing ever again. Still stuck at rank 20, still getting owned.

if you kill your opponents before turn 9, you won't have to see it again.

ZealousD

I could see this as a good Warlock card used with 1 or two Power over whelming's.

Experience has shown that Nightmare seems to work best with taunt minions. You can use it on a weak or damaged taunt minion, kill something, and then your opponent is in an awkward spot where they don't want to throw their minions into an enemy minion that's on its deathbed anyway, so it works kind of like frost nova. So it could find its way into a deck that runs a lot of taunts. Like some kind of handlock deck that runs voidwalkers or something.

Sblargh

Banned
If I have a Velen's Prophet and something that gives spell power; how does that works?

Say, with holy smite; is it 4 damage (doubled from Prophet) + 1 from spell power. Or is it +1 from spell power and then doubled to 6?

KePoW

Banned
If I have a Velen's Prophet and something that gives spell power; how does that works?

Say, with holy smite; is it 4 damage (doubled from Prophet) + 1 from spell power. Or is it +1 from spell power and then doubled to 6?

heck ya broski!!

Rapstah

The addition is supposedly done first.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
The 6 void caller malganis arena deck started 0-2 and is now 11-2

That happens so often i find, ill lose the first two games to 3 flamestrike 4 conc 2 truesilver nonsense and then power through the next couple of games.

Maybe its just learning what to mulligan

Rapstah

208c575c.png

Here's my fake card for the contest, designed somewhat more realistically than the joke Hunter cards I filled the last thread with.

Ashodin

208c575c.png

Here's my fake card for the contest, designed somewhat more realistically than the joke Hunter cards I filled the last thread with.

wuh? so you need some way to destroy a minion? If you make him taunt, that is. For a fake card, it's very oddly designed.

Rapstah

Sorry for picking the same piece of dragon art as ZealousD, didn't even see it until just now. There's not a whole lot of great black dragon art in the TCG.

JesseZao

It zoomed the artwork in, so you lose the dragon in the background, but it works. Edit: Fixed somewhaat.

Leash would be a buff:

Reduce attack by half (rounded down). Dissipate at end of caster's next turn.

(Not sure sure the best way to resolve it/word it.)

ZealousD

Sorry for picking the same piece of dragon art as ZealousD, didn't even see it until just now. There's not a whole lot of great black dragon art in the TCG.

Yeah I had to do a bit of searching to find something. It's not like I can claim the art, I didn't draw it.

Aylinato

I've been wrecking with my handlock. I'm just missing some key cards, I made two cards to finish off the non-rare/legendary cards

Aylinato

They should start adding dragon flights that go together, that way you can have different dragons together, I'd love it

It would be quite difficult to always know when its an odd or even turn since there is no turn counter.

True. I was thinking that Mana could just be used, but then what happens past turn ten? However, they do have that new glowing effect for cards now, Kill Commander/Tinkertown Tech, so they could use that to let you know it'd work when you put it down on the board. It'd work even if you went first or second since the game should know what turn it'll be after you play it.

That being said, something like this would probably never work since it's still a bit too confusing with wording. I don't think you can get the point across without a long explanation. You'd have to make a 'mechanic' like;

Ethereal: Can only be attacked by minions every other turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom