• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heath Ledger talks Joker

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
"I wouldn't have thought of me, either. But it's obviously not going to be what Jack Nicholson did. It's going to be more nuanced and dark and more along the lines of a Clockwork Orange kind of feel.

FUCKING YES.

p.s. **** you bjerk.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
wait, I thought WB announced that she wouldn't appear in anymore films? Remember? Cuz when she was supposed to do a publicity stint for it she was always talking about Tommy and War of the Worlds instead?

I swear I remember the studio saying they axed her. Did Nolan get her back somehow?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
whytemyke said:
wait, I thought WB announced that she wouldn't appear in anymore films? Remember? Cuz when she was supposed to do a publicity stint for it she was always talking about Tommy and War of the Worlds instead?

I swear I remember the studio saying they axed her. Did Nolan get her back somehow?

Yeah didnt the exec go as far as to say that they were gonna get "a much stronger actress" for the next movie?

I figure she'll be around just long enough to get killed by A Clockwork Joker.

Christopher

I never saw the first one but did Katie **** up the movie that bad? Man I can't picture her doing anything but waiting to come thorugh Dawsons window, and spit up awful dialog that no teenager wuld ever talk.

Christopher said:
I never saw the first one buy Katie ****ed up the movie that bad? Man I can't picture her doing anything but waiting for to come thorugh Dawsons window, and spit up awful dialog that no teenager wuld ever talk.

she didnt **** up the movie as much as Nolan did with the action.

In The Dark Knight Returns, Frank Miller did seem to imply that the Joker was gay (for Bats, at least.) And the Joker's humor isn't even dark, it's pitch black with red polka dots, so I just thought Nicholson's Joker was a reprisal of his One Flew Over the Coocoo's Nest and The Shining roles. I just hope a certain Doctor Harleen Quinzel makes a cameo in this to only show up in a later roll. I thought there was such beef between Warner Bros and Katie Holmes that they were glad she left and that she wasn't going to be in the sequel. All hope is lost. Well, there is the hope that she'll be one of Mista J's victims. It's the only kind of smile I'd want to see her wear ALSO... I really, really hope they make Bale's Batman voice more somber and less staged. They also need to employ Pixar or Square-Enix to do a CG movie of The Dark Knight Returns. I know Karasu's going to disagree with everything in this post, but pay him no mind. He is an opinionated criminal who falls into the cowardly and superstitious lot. >;P

jett

D-Member
Christopher said:
I never saw the first one but did Katie **** up the movie that bad? Man I can't picture her doing anything but waiting to come thorugh Dawsons window, and spit up awful dialog that no teenager wuld ever talk.

Not at all, she was perfectly serviceable.

p.s. watch this movie NOW. :p

LakeEarth

She was okay in the movie, WB was just piss that every interview was about Tom Cruise, so in effect she was advertising War of the Worlds, BB's biggest competitor that month.

Mrs. Manky said:
It would explain Holmes' extra training. And hey, if anyone knows about living in a twisted submissive relationship with an insane man who has a crazy grin...:lol

Excellent.

Cheebs said:
Katie Holmes is back with apparently a bigger role you know, right? She is doing physical training for the movie including kick boxing. Implying she will fight in it.
Sweet, maybe after the third Batman and Spider-Man movies are released, they can release an Alien vs Predator like crossover featuring Batwoman Katie Holmes vs Carnage Aunt May

Sanjuro

IMO Katie Holmes was far from being anything bad about Batman Begins. She doesn't have much range, but neither does Morgan Freeman anymore the way he is cast....didnt hear anyone complain about that. But I understand the reason for the hatred.

Sounds good so far however....but people are forgetting this is most likely going to be much more than a Batman movie featuring Joker. Hearing more news in the coming months will be bliss.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I said it in the last thread, but I thought she was fine. I'm not a big batman buff, though, so maybe there's something for others to see in her performance of the character that's not to like, but she was OK to me.

J2 Cool

Christopher said:

Not that bad to be honest, only apparently weak when she's doing scenes between Bale, Oldman, Liam Neeson, and Morgan Freeman. In that sense it stands out if you actually start looking at how nuanced every actor's performance is.

Anyway, I think Ledger will be great. Especially thanks to the director he has working for him though. Nolan's a smart guy, and they've definitely got an idea of how to show him going into this thing. Hopefully they find the same track early in shooting and push the role into something special.

karasu

SanjuroTsubaki said:
IMO Katie Holmes was far from being anything bad about Batman Begins. She doesn't have much range, but neither does Morgan Freeman anymore the way he is cast....didnt hear anyone complain about that. But I understand the reason for the hatred.

Sounds good so far however....but people are forgetting this is most likely going to be much more than a Batman movie featuring Joker. Hearing more news in the coming months will be bliss.

Because he's Morgan Freeman, and she's Katie Holmes.

J2 Cool said:
Not that bad to be honest, only apparently weak when she's doing scenes between Bale, Oldman, Liam Neeson, and Morgan Freeman. In that sense it stands out if you actually start looking at how nuanced every actor's performance is.

Anyway, I think Ledger will be great. Especially thanks to the director he has working for him though. Nolan's a smart guy, and they've definitely got an idea of how to show him going into this thing. Hopefully they find the same track early in shooting and push the role into something special.

See, I thought Caine and Murphy were great (and I was dead against Caine when he was first announced but he really won me over), Holmes, Freeman and Oldman (for what little screen time he had) were serviceable, and Neeson was the weak link acting-wise. I felt his performance was a totally soulless phone-in of his Star Wars role.

And if Nolan has plans for the character then I'm glad he is sticking to his guns, and not letting the studio or the Holmes backlash (which has more to do with her relationship with Cruise than her performances) dictate things too much.

jett

D-Member
bjork said:
no, Bale did

stfulukejw8.jpg

Put a ****ing cock in it already.

J2 Cool

Die Squirrel Die said:
See, I thought Caine and Murphy were great (and I was dead against Caine when he was first announced but he really won me over), Holmes, Freeman and Oldman (for what little screen time he had) were serviceable, and Neeson was the weak link acting-wise. I felt his performance was a totally soulless phone-in of his Star Wars role.

And if Nolan has plans for the character then I'm glad he is sticking to his guns, and not letting the studio or the Holmes backlash (which has more to do with her relationship with Cruise than her performances) dictate things too much.

Oh yeah, Caine and Murphy were brilliant. I just really thought the cast all around was strong and chose not to mention everyone. Oldman, Murphy, and Caine were probably my favorite to be honest. I didn't find Neeson's role a phone-in though, but I'd agree it was similar to his Star Wars gig. I just like the actor overall though so maybe that has something to do with it.

Coop

My problem with her character was Harvey Dent should have been the assistant DA instead of her. She was assistant to the DA right?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Coop said:
My problem with her character was Harvey Dent should have been the assistant DA instead of her. She was assistant to the DA right?
She was an assistant to the DA, yes. If Gotham is anything like other major American cities, there are surely several.

J2 Cool said:
Oh yeah, Caine and Murphy were brilliant. I just really thought the cast all around was strong and chose not to mention everyone. Oldman, Murphy, and Caine were probably my favorite to be honest. I didn't find Neeson's role a phone-in though, but I'd agree it was similar to his Star Wars gig. I just like the actor overall though so maybe that has something to do with it.

Maybe it's a natural tendency to compare the villians, in which case Murphy just acted rings around Neeson. Murphy really convinced as this twisted, arrogant ****head, I think his performance really gave a sense of that, without ever getting too OTT and hammy (except when it needed to get OTT and everyone's going crazy and the shit's really hitting the fan).

Ras Al Ghul's meant to have this crazy convinction in what he is doing, he'd have to in order to destroy an entire city for the sake of his ideals, but I just don't think Neeson ever gave that same sense of life to that idea that Murphy gave to his character.

jett

D-Member
I think Michael Caine's performance is nearly solely responsible for the realistic, drama-like feel the movie has(other than Chris Nolan, of course :p). He infused so much...believable humanity into Alfred...he just steals the show acting-wise for me. Cillian and Oldman were both effing brilliant and pretty much perfect, but Caine really made me say wow. Neeson was good too, though. And Bale rocked it as the Batman.

**** it they all rock. Best film ever.

suaveric

I still see no evidence that she's going to fight in this movie. The article posted above mentions her kick boxing along with other things to get back in to shape after the baby.

Also, why would she start her fight training six months before the movie starts to shoot? The only people who I've ever heard of doing that was the Matrix cast. I highly doubt she has some sort of Matrix-style fighting that she has to get ready for.

And like it or not, it makes perfect sense in the Begins universe that her character would still be around. She was dedicated to fighting for justice in Gotham before Bruce was. I doubt Rachel would just up and leave now that things are starting to turn in the good guy's favor in Gotham. Not to mention that she's also the perfect bridge to introduce Harvey Dent.

suaveric said:
I still see no evidence that she's going to fight in this movie. The article posted above mentions her kick boxing along with other things to get back in to shape after the baby.

Also, why would she start her fight training six months before the movie starts to shoot? The only people who I've ever heard of doing that was the Matrix cast. I highly doubt she has some sort of Matrix-style fighting that she has to get ready for.

And like it or not, it makes perfect sense in the Begins universe that her character would still be around. She was dedicated to fighting for justice in Gotham before Bruce was. I doubt Rachel would just up and leave now that things are starting to turn in the good guy's favor in Gotham. Not to mention that she's also the perfect bridge to introduce Harvey Dent.

Perhaps, but near the end of Batman Begins the interaction betwee them could be be seen as "you go your way I'll go mine kinda thing", aka, "suck my thetans". They could bring her back if they want to, but I think a clear break was made with her character.

suaveric

mamacint said:
Perhaps, but near the end of Batman Begins the interaction betwee them could be be seen as "you go your way I'll go mine kinda thing", aka, "suck my thetans". They could bring her back if they want to, but I think a clear break was made with her character.

I agree that there was some sort of spilt at the end of the movie. But I felt it was more romantic than her physically leaving. She was talking about hoping to see the real Bruce back one day. And I think it would be silly to have Batman running around with a new DA and not have her pop up at all, even if it was a small roll.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
mamacint said:
I thought it was more like Rachel saying that her emotional involvement with Bruce would have to end. I don't think that means she was skipping town or any less dedicated to helping Gotham. Just that any romantic relationship between the two was not in the foreseeable future. Maybe that means seeing less of each other and parting ways somewhat, but from my perspective, I think it'd be weird coming off the last movie and not having her still in the picture in some way.

Edit: Or what suaveric said above.

DMczaf

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/ledger.php

"I actually hate comic book movies, like f***ing hate them, they just bore me sh**less and they're just dumb. But I thought what Chris Nolan did with Batman was actually really good, really well directed, and Christian Bale was really great in it."

"He's going to be really sinister and it's going to be less about his laugh and his pranks and more about just him being a just a ****ing sinister guy."

[Asked if he decides to do a big movie like this, because of agent pressure.] "I'm sure they're super happy that I'm doing this [THE DARK KNIGHT], because this is the first time I've really kind of taken something like that, so they're over the moon. But I think it's just going to be a really fun experience, and I love to dress up and wear a mask."

[How will his Joker look?] "I've seen a few interesting designs on the look and I think that it's going to look pretty cool."

J2 Cool

Dan said:
I thought it was more like Rachel saying that her emotional involvement with Bruce would have to end. I don't think that means she was skipping town or any less dedicated to helping Gotham. Just that any romantic relationship between the two was not in the foreseeable future. Maybe that means seeing less of each other and parting ways somewhat, but from my perspective, I think it'd be weird coming off the last movie and not having her still in the picture in some way.

Edit: Or what suaveric said above.

Now see, I didn't see it that way. My collected thoughts on the whole thing was that after Bruce kissed her, it made her forget everything - including his identity as Batman and the fact that he impregnated her. Leaving The Dark Knight to feature his son and Katie getting kidnapped by the Joker in the ultimate scheme, and a climactic reveal of Bruce Wayne being Batman when his son plays the piano.

AniHawk

J2 Cool said:
Now see, I didn't see it that way. My collected thoughts on the whole thing was that after Bruce kissed her, it made her forget everything - including his identity as Batman and the fact that he impregnated her. Leaving The Dark Knight to feature his son and Katie getting kidnapped by the Joker in the ultimate scheme, and a climactic reveal of Bruce Wayne being Batman when his son plays the piano.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TW8UR81Us54

Shinobi

AniHawk said:
But that means she comes back in the third movie as Red Hood.

:lol :lol :lol

I don't see any implication that Katie Holmes will fight in the movie. Kickboxing is just one way to get in shape. Reading anything more then that is just silly.

And Holmes was fine in the movie...the way people talk you'd think she was Sofia ****ing Coppola in Godfather 3. If all you saw was the Dawson's Creek chick, then blame yourselves for watching that shitty ass show in the first place.

jett said:
stfulukejw8.jpg

Put a ****ing cock in it already.

He already does that on a daily basis...

Coop said:

Now this I agree with...I thought it was a wasted opportunity, not having Dent from the beginning.

J2 Cool said:

:lol You forgot the green crystal found deep within the Batcave!

She wasn't bad at all, but that was pre-Tom/Katie media cluster**** and his ****ing meltdown. It shouldn't matter but she'd be a complete distraction that the movie doesn't need at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom