• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain and a new ps3 game shown behind closed doors at E3

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Bearillusion said:
Why should I be looking forward to heavy rain?
Because yeah, first half, in fact, first two thirds of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy were some of the best adventure gaming ever created, and the guys who made it promised this game will be based around everything that made that portion of IP so good.

Also, because of this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VmB8-xtrKcI
That's what character in the game looked like when they last showed anything.

Marconelly said:
Because yeah, first half, in fact, first two thirds of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy were some of the best adventure gaming ever created, and the guys who made it promised this game will be based around everything that made that portion of IP so good.

Also, because of this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VmB8-xtrKcI
That's what character in the game looked like when they last showed anything.

Just to clarify: it's the raw motion capture displayed real-time on the PS3 (not to be confused with in-game graphics).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
BruceWayneIII said:
Just to clarify: it's the raw motion capture displayed real-time on the PS3 (not to be confused with in-game graphics).
Got any more info from wherever that tidbit came from?
Isn't that same performance capture more or less what they will use in the game anyways? I always assumed it was performance captured, it's just impressive that it's running in real time. Better looking than faces in Heavenly Sword even.

ymmv

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Yeah, but there was no focus on it. And by that I mean games that they singled out to show. And the only games they did that for were Resistance 2, LBP, MAG, DC Comics MMO, R&C: Quest for Booty, and GoW3.

With the exception of LBP all of those games were developed in the US. I hope that means we're going to see more from Sony's European division at Leipzig: MotorStorm, Killzone, Wipeout (PLEASE!!), Heavy Rain and that undisclosed game. And then there's the Tokyo Game Show for SCEJ to finally get off its butt. That's the division with the worst track record so far.

Busty

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if SCEE used Leipzig to show of a couple of their larger upcoming projects and used this closed door presentation to show off some stuff to journos and outlets who wouldn't be attending.

Considering the sheer size of the SCE-WWS operation and that fact that many unannounced developers are well into development of totally unknown PS3 projects for not only 2010 but 2009 as well, this second 'secret PS3 project' could literally be anything.

But if you want to start throwing random guesses I'd say from SCEE it could be either Sony Liverpool's action/adventure game or whatever PS3 exclusive GameFactory are doing for Sony. Or from SCEA's point of view it could Factor 5's second PS3 title.

Or realistically, it could be none of these things.

But, if Sony were smart, they won't leave it too long before they 'open the kimono'. and show the world some of the titles they are working on for next year.

Replicant

Busty said:
But, if Sony were smart, they won't leave it too long before they 'open the kimono'. and show the world some of the titles they are working on for next year.

I hope that's a euphemism for Japanese-produced games or better, JRPGs.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Busty said:
Or from SCEA's point of view it could Factor 5's second PS3 title.

I think Factor5 has been cut loose..

It's funny, some people think they show too much too soon..but really, the vast majority of what they showed at their conference was 2008 stuff. If they really wanted to tease you on 09, they didn't do too great of a job..no WKS, no Team Ico, no GT5, no next Insomniac (obviously), no Quantic Dream etc. They were pretty selective when it came to 09..and they can afford to be. No one else was stacking their schedule. Sony may be tempted to given the size of their operations, but some people misconstrue it if they do (and some people did even with the limited '09 stuff at the conference).

Kittonwy

Banned
Busty said:
I wouldn't be surprised if SCEE used Leipzig to show of a couple of their larger upcoming projects and used this closed door presentation to show off some stuff to journos and outlets who wouldn't be attending.

Considering the sheer size of the SCE-WWS operation and that fact that many unannounced developers are well into development of totally unknown PS3 projects for not only 2010 but 2009 as well, this second 'secret PS3 project' could literally be anything.

But if you want to start throwing random guesses I'd say from SCEE it could be either Sony Liverpool's action/adventure game or whatever PS3 exclusive GameFactory are doing for Sony. Or from SCEA's point of view it could Factor 5's second PS3 title.

From SCEA's point of view there is no second Factor 5 title, because Factor 5 doesn't exist it doesn't exist!
Indifferent2.gif

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I really hope Sony shows Heavy Rain footage at Leipzig. Ever since the casting video, I've been very interested. And that video is friggin old. I wonder what they made out of it.

Concept17

Busty said:

Indeed. Sony tends to spread things out moreso than MS in terms of what they have to show. I wouldnt be surprised if we see a couple new things between Leipzig and TGS. (hopefully RPGs) But anything works.

Busty

Banned
gofreak said:
It's funny, some people think they show too much too soon..but really, the vast majority of what they showed at their conference was 2008 stuff. If they really wanted to tease you on 09, they didn't do too great of a job..no WKS, no Team Ico, no GT5, no next Insomniac (obviously), no Quantic Dream etc. They were pretty selective when it came to 09..and they can afford to be. No one else was stacking their schedule. Sony may be tempted to given the size of their operations, but some people misconstrue it if they do (and some people did even with the limited '09 stuff at the conference).

There's a fine line to cross between showing off the same (admittedly exciting) 2008 and early 2009 projects at every show to generate interest and having them become slightly stale before they've even been released.

Sony have done a very good job at rationing out the information they've given about their upcoming titles. It really does feel like they might be moving closer to the Japanses model of not releasing anything about the titles until a couple of months before they are ready. Which is both sound and steady thinking but also a risk. Sony need to keep generating excitement for the platform. They need to keep the consumer base energized.

But it surely must raise some eyebrows when Sony will show a bland Power Point style feature list (even if the potential for the features is exciting) for a game accompanied with a CG trailer for Zipper's MAG yet won't show anything for the many other titles that are complete enough to show actual game footage rather than CG.

Does this point to E3 being more SCEA centric this year? Or does this suggest that Sony are planning a more steady stream of information for their upcoming titles in the coming events and trade shows?

I'm not sure, but Sony's plan for unveiling their upcoming 2009 and 2010 titles could speak voumes about how they plan to tackle the 'console wars' for the next few years.

Kittonwy said:
From SCEA's point of view there is no second Factor 5 title, because Factor 5 doesn't exist it doesn't exist!

gofreak said:
I think Factor5 has been cut loose..

I'm sure that somebody, somewhere told me or I either read it somewhere....or I perhaps dreamt it in some potent cheese powered dream (after eating some cheddar before going to bed) that they were indeed working on another PS3 project.

Though it's not quite the same scale as Lair.

Busty said:
I'm sure that somebody, somewhere told me or I either read it somewhere....or I perhaps dreamt it in some potent cheese powered dream (after cheddar before going to bed) that they were indeed working on another PS3 project.

I remember reading that they've got a Wii game and a multiplatform game in development. Lair seemed to be all Sony needed to know that they don't want anymore of that.

Busty

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I remember reading that they've got a Wii game and a multiplatform game in development. Lair seemed to be all Sony needed to know that they don't want anymore of that.

Yeah they have a multiformat licensed game in development at Brash and it's been endlessly rumoured that they are developing Kid Icarus for Wii.

Things could have very well have changed especially as Yoshida is cleaning house at SCE-WWS, but I do vaguely remember something about Factor 5 developing a project for PSN.

But, as I said, things change and maybe it's now care of the Robot Devil along with Eight Days, The Getaway and Rat Race.

Marconelly said:
Got any more info from wherever that tidbit came from?
Isn't that same performance capture more or less what they will use in the game anyways? I always assumed it was performance captured, it's just impressive that it's running in real time. Better looking than faces in Heavenly Sword even.

Quantic Dream used the clip as a way to recruit people for the project. The performance will be used in the game, but we have no idea how the end result will look like. This is a high-poly model with insane shaders. What the actual engine (with AI, physics, game logic, sound, rendering etc.) will be capable of, is a wild guess at the moment. Maybe Leipzig will give us a glimpse.

Busty said:
Sony have done a very good job at rationing out the information they've given about their upcoming titles. It really does feel like they might be moving closer to the Japanses model of not releasing anything about the titles until a couple of months before they are ready. Which is both sound and steady thinking but also a risk. Sony need to keep generating excitement for the platform. They need to keep the consumer base energized.

i like this approach also because it keeps people focus on whats about to come out. sony needs to move away from the image of promising people the moon and then giving them a telescope years later.

To me it looks like Sony is moving into a three show strategy. E3 for SCEA, Liepzieg for SCEE, and TGS for SCEJ. that is good so that they wont keep on showing the same stuff over and over but i would like a little overlap between the shows. at least one or two projects from each division at each of the shows.

i starting to doubt there will be a PS Premiere show in Japan this year (unless someone knows something) since liepzieg in next month, and TGS is in Sept (is that correct).

Sony seems to have all of there genre bases covered except for RPGs which i hope will be addressed at least by TGS. Sony will need to:

- make up with SE and keep vsXIII exclusive and get a port of SO4
- get a Tales of title from Namco
- get an internal team to make WildArms or Legend of Dragoon
- get Level 5 to start on Dark Cloud 3, another WK game, Rogue Galaxy 2, or revive True Fantasy Online

BruceWayneIII said:
Quantic Dream used the clip as a way to recruit people for the project. The performance will be used in the game, but we have no idea how the end result will look like. This is a high-poly model with insane shaders. What the actual engine (with AI, physics, game logic, sound, rendering etc.) will be capable of, is a wild guess at the moment. Maybe Leipzig will give us a glimpse.

when the vid was first posted on a forum from a QD developer, he said it was using very few power of cell and rsx because the engine they were creating was able to render a full scene with a lot of characters inside and that was only a glimpse of what the game will be about.

i tried to find the link, but i don't remember the forum's name.

Kittonwy

Banned
Busty said:
Yeah they have a multiformat licensed game in development at Brash and it's been endlessly rumoured that they are developing Kid Icarus for Wii.

Things could have very well have changed especially as Yoshida is cleaning house at SCE-WWS, but I do vaguely remember something about Factor 5 developing a project for PSN.

But, as I said, things change and maybe it's now care of the Robot Devil along with Eight Days, The Getaway and Rat Race.

Yoshida is here to strike fear into teh heart of those who prey on teh fearful, there is no Factor 5 project.
batman.gif

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
it boggles my mind that they kept this from their conference where all cards must be dealt, even if they were really early builds (didn't hurt inFAMOUS) plus MAG reveal was pretty much the concept... so why keep this behind closed doors :/

Ethereal

I supremely hope that Heavy Rain gets shown at Leipzig, I still think that they should have shown it at E3 so that they could *$#!slapped Microsoft in the face and say"Look what my system can do."

Ever since the BBC person gave that quote I've always just assumed it was Heavy Rain that he was talking about, if this turns out to be something that actually looks better than that then look out for Megatons dropping at Leipzig. I'm a big fan of Quantic Dream and I can't wait to see how Heavy Rain turns out

Ethereal said:
...if this turns out to be something that actually looks better than that then look out for Megatons dropping at Leipzig.
Now don't get your hopes too high again, because we've seen enough dissapointment already.

GQman2121

Banned
Does this change anyone's opinion on Sony's showing at this year's conference? It does nothing for me personally, as I already thought they showed enough to hold me over till the end of the year; but it is refreshing to see things long term look a bit stronger.

KZObsessed

Can't wait to see Heavy Rain and the "Secret Game".

Sony should use Leipzig as a big E3 event. Build up some more excitement, they need it at the moment.

Kagari said:
Secret game maybe... TRICO??

Maybe it's that Protector game that EGM talked about. The description of a Crysis style character flying around doesn't really sound like something Team ICO would make. But you never know.

Replicant

Riskbreaker23 said:
Sony seems to have all of there genre bases covered except for RPGs which i hope will be addressed at least by TGS. Sony will need to:

- get Level 5 to start on Dark Cloud 3, another WK game, Rogue Galaxy 2, or revive True Fantasy Online

YES, YES, YES, and YES. Especially the part about Legend of Dragoon 2 :D

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
FFObsessed said:
Sony should use Leipzig as a big E3 event. Build up some more excitement, they need it at the moment.
Leipzig, to me, is what the old E3 was. So I totally support this statement. Bring on the booth babes!

Oneself

SolidSnakex said:
Maybe it's that Protector game that EGM talked about. The description of a Crysis style character flying around doesn't really sound like something Team ICO would make. But you never know.

Exactly what I thought; The Protector. Team ICO's game will most likely be unveiled at the Tokyo Game Show.

And Heavy Rain making its debut in Europe makes sense.

Riskbreaker23 said:

Seriously, Sony needs to secure more RPGs for the PS3, exclusive or not. The PlayStation brand has always been home to a plethora of role-playing franchises, and it's disappointing to see that, so far, the PS3 is focusing towards other genres (such as the FPS, which I've had about enough of).

GamerGeorge said:
Seriously, Sony needs to secure more RPGs for the PS3, exclusive or not. The PlayStation brand has always been home to a plethora of role-playing franchises, and it's disappointing to see that, so far, the PS3 is focusing towards other genres (such as the FPS, which I've had about enough of).

Hopefully recent events have scared sony into strengthen their RPG portfolio.

SCEJ has been the most docile of the three divisions when it comes to the PS3. both SCEA and SCEE pushed their first and second party devs and have come up with some good games in a timely manner.

WKC was one the firt PS3 titles announced and we havent seen too much from it (please be at TGS at least) and they have had some PSN titles but that doesnt cut it. the other two branches have action, fps, racing, and sports covered, SCEJ needs to bring the RPGs and ARPGs to the table.

as i mentioned, they seem to have a very close relationship with Level 5 so should be requesting another game from them. Wild Arms is a fairly successful series and legend of dragoon is a series that has a lot of potential if developed right.

lupinko

Sony needs to get Sega to provide more awesomeness (although Sega is already providing the most awesomeness for the PS3 nowadays).

Shining Force IV, Phantasy Star V, Sakura Taisen 6 believe!

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
If this is from the Indigo Prophecy team then I'm interested. If it's just a hollow tech demo, then bring on TRICO!

Sony's London, Cambridge and Liverpool studios have been very quiet about major retail games for a very long time. Cambridge hasn't released anything for PS3, Liverpool made F1 06 that came out almost 2 years ago and the huge London studio only put out smaller stuff like Singstar and Buzz. Any of those three could be ready to show a new game right now. There's also been a lot of rumors, I can remember these right away:

- SCEE has an unbelievably good looking street fighting game in the works.
- Action game called the Protector is in the works.
- London is working on FPS instead of Getaway.
- BBC reporter saw amazing secret game.

The guy in that article mentioned guy in a black suit and Crysis that happens to be an FPS. It could be the rumored London FPS.

Riskbreaker23 said:
To me it looks like Sony is moving into a three show strategy. E3 for SCEA, Liepzieg for SCEE, and TGS for SCEJ. that is good so that they wont keep on showing the same stuff over and over but i would like a little overlap between the shows. at least one or two projects from each division at each of the shows.

Are you talking about the presentation they did or, the show as a whole? KZ2 and motorstorm were both there giving you a little over lap.

Tideas

Banned
It's time like this when I wish I was special and know what some of these games are.

I can already at the top of my head think of about 5 games that already in the works that hasn't been announced yet

next month heavy rain and fumito ueda's game will be shown at GC.

i heard this from a game journalist who attended e3 (probably team ico game was shown behind closed along with heavy rain).

Issun23

°°ToMmY°° said:
next month heavy rain and fumito ueda's game will be shown at GC.

i heard this from a game journalist who attended e3 (probably team ico game was shown behind closed along with heavy rain).

;_; I was going to Leipzig this year but couldn't find rooms available near the convention.

Top Bottom