• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain Presented at E3 Confirmed

FirewalkR

Marconelly said:
I think when developed specifically for it, PS3 has more than proven to be a powerful platform. And if what I hear about this game is true, graphics power is the last thing anyone has to worry about. Sure if it was on PC, it could always be made to an even higher spec, but again, there are people literally flipping over this game (those who have seen it yesterday) in both of how it looks and just how interesting it is.

Something that impressed me recently were some of MGS4's cutscenes, especially those in small areas. One of the most impressive was during the ending, when
Raiden/Jack is in bed in some sort of hospital and finds out he's a dad and has a family etc etc
. It had great models, both the characters and the props, excelent lighting, great body animation... really great visual quality overall. I expect Heavy Rain to be better than that at least in terms of framerate, resolution, skin shaders (if clothes are as in MGS4 I'm happy), hair movement and obviously, facial animation. And I expect much superior motion blending when you're controling the characters. They can do better than Uncharted, especially when changing direction, stopping, moving again etc., given that probably there's not much need for responsiveness.

I'm not asking for much.

Btw, what are you hearing about the game? :)

Dante

Libby on 1up yours mentioned it, she said she couldn't say much, but summarized as "WOW"

and one of her game of the show!

I'm dying to know more...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
"With the release of Fahrenheit, we gave the adventure genre a new grammar. We brought new ways into the genre, new words if you want to see it like that, a new vocabulaire. With Heavy Rain, where going to expand on that same grammar."

Wow this guys head is so far up his own ass he'll never see daylight again. Christ.

Dante said:
Libby on 1up yours mentioned it, she said she couldn't say much, but summarized as "WOW"

and one of her game of the show!

I'm dying to know more...

'wow' is the exact word i've heard used for it 3 times now :lol

Dante

BlazingDarkness said:
'wow' is the exact word i've heard used for it 3 times now :lol

Sounds like the ninjas will strike down anybody who leaks more then the title, or "wow" :lol

Marconelly said:
I'm just thankful that something like this is being made at this point. Ambitious, big budget adventure games are far and few nowadays.

isn't Alan Wake being touted as a next-gen 'adventure' game? seems like its being positioned to square off against Heavy Rain

theBishop

Banned
juicyfruitas said:
isn't Alan Wake being touted as a next-gen 'adventure' game? seems like its being positioned to square off against Heavy Rain

Given Remedy's pedigree, i'd be surprised if the gameplay is at all similar. But I fully expect both to be awesome.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
juicyfruitas said:
I don't know. I always thought that was supposed to be an action game with a horror motif. I wish they would show more of that game, in any case.

lostxii

juicyfruitas said:
I was wondering about that it too.
It seems that those two games will be competing at a certain level in 09.

juicyfruitas said:
they're two completely different takes on the idea. one is a huge open world game with a focus on exploration, the other is a more intimate game with a focus on human interactions.

i don't see one drawing sales from the other to be honest.

Naruto

In an interview IGN had with Quantic Dream in 2006, they said that it's coming this year, and that it's not exclusive for PS3 -

IGN: Realistically, when can we expect the game to come out?

Fondaumi¿re: Heavy Rain will be released in Fall 2008.

IGN: There has been a lot of speculation since E3 that Heavy Rain will go "PS3 only" because of where it was showed. Any truth to that or can we expect to see it on multiple systems?

Fondaumi¿re: We hear and read a lot of things lately on Heavy Rain. All I can say is: not everything is true and nothing is written in stone as we speak. For now, Quantic Dream is working on the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC platforms.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/711/711613p1.html

Loudninja

Naruto said:
In an interview IGN had with Quantic Dream in 2006, they said that it's coming this year, and that it's not exclusive for PS3 -

IGN: There has been a lot of speculation since E3 that Heavy Rain will go "PS3 only" because of where it was showed. Any truth to that or can we expect to see it on multiple systems?

Fondaumi¿re: We hear and read a lot of things lately on Heavy Rain. All I can say is: not everything is true and nothing is written in stone as we speak. For now, Quantic Dream is working on the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC platforms.

:lol so you went back to 2006?

Naruto said:

As you said, that was 2006. They also didn't have a publisher then. Sony was the one that picked the game up. PSM actually reported long before they picked it up that they were out to get Heavy Rain.

Naruto said:

OH LOOK! FFXIII IS PS3 EXCLUSIVE!!!

Seriously....

gantz85

Banned
Naruto said:

In 2006,
Final Fantasy XIII was PS3-exclusive.
Bioshock was coming to PS3 day and date.

Etc.

THINGS HAPPENED.

Naruto said:

And not to mention that it was displayed as a 1st Party offering at Sony's e3 Media & Business Summit a few days ago

Naruto said:

fail.

Naruto

Whoa, relax =/. It was the only interview I could find, I didn't say it wasn't exclusive.
So, when is it coming out?

Haunted

Naruto said:
Whoa, relax =/. It was the only interview I could find, I didn't say it wasn't exclusive.
This year on 360 and PC, PS3 version was canned.

I've read it in an interview from 2003.

:p We don't know. We haven't even seen the damn game yet!

filopilo

plagiarize said:
he wasn't. that was his point. statements from 2006 saying it's not exclusive don't mean a thing.

in 2006 ,QD had to choose between MS ,SONY ,EA and some lesser ones.Golden plate,the ball fully in QD's hands.The choice is long done.

-viper-

Banned
Some of you are really fucking stupid.

THE GAME IS BEING PUBLISHED BY SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT EUROPE.

How on earth can it be released for any platform other than the PS3 then?

CloudNL

Naruto said:

EPIC FAIL!

It's going to be released by Sony!

AAK

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37168.html

N'gai talks about how he was impressed with what Sony showed behind closed doors saying that was what should have been previewed at the ending of the press conference instead of MAG.

A positive first look, so I guess we'll have to wait till next E3 to finally see some actual gameplay.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Reminds me of rumors that Gran Turismo was going to go 360 when the PS3 was just being released.

Dante

AAK said:

N'gai talks about how he was impressed with what Sony showed behind closed doors saying that was what should have been previewed at the ending of the press conference instead of MAG.

A positive first look, so I guess we'll have to wait till next E3 to finally see some actual gameplay.

Mag was a really bad choice to close the show. Shoulda had this there judging by the early reactions.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
AAK said:

MAG was really impressive but I don't think it's something that N'gai would particularly be interested in. I think for people who like the kind of thing MAG is that was a HUGE announcement. It's the first game of it's kind. Very unique.

I'm sure what was behind those doors was truly awesome, but to be fair N'gai is probably underrating MAG going by his game preferences I've picked up over the years.

I've had an Xbox copy of Indigo Prophecy sitting on my shelf for a few months now that I picked up for 9.99 somewhere.

Thanks to this thread I'm gonna put in in the 360 tonight. Assuming it actually works in the 360 that is.. if not, :(

BobsRevenge said:
MAG was really impressive but I don't think it's something that N'gai would particularly be interested in. I think for people who like the kind of thing MAG is that was a HUGE announcement. It's the first game of it's kind. Very unique.

I'm sure what was behind those doors was truly awesome, but to be fair N'gai is probably underrating MAG going by his game preferences I've picked up over the years.

i think the decision to make it CG teaser over showing anything substantial was a very bad choice
same with GOWIII

Woakes

Well I certainly hope it comes to PC. Staying PC and opting out of the consoles this gen has worked very well for me so far but damn I am so starved for good adventure games. Farenheit was flawed but I still really liked it.

Last gen I avoided the xbox quite nicely because anything it had that was worth playing eventually came to the PC, but I had to get a ps2 because most of it's best games were exclusive to consoles. This gen is quite different, and almost everything I've cared about has come to the PC as well (Mass Effect etc).

well, the CG trailer of GOW3 was awesome! IMO, for GOW3 it has been a good choice, they showed a teaser and speak about it for very few seconds, this way they told people: "yes, gow3 is coming!". it would have been a bad choice if the showed the teaser and talked about the game for ten minutes.

-viper- said:
Some of you are really fucking stupid.

THE GAME IS BEING PUBLISHED BY SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT EUROPE.

How on earth can it be released for any platform other than the PS3 then?
I don't know why but this reply made me laugh :lol.

Well put, sir.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Woakes said:
This gen is quite different
It's not really different at all as far as SCE goes. Games that are exclusive to PS3, that are published by them, pretty much will stay only on it, because SCE never publishes anything on PC.

Woakes

Marconelly said:
It's not really different at all as far as SCE goes. Games that are exclusive to PS3, that are published by them, pretty much will stay only on it, because SCE never publishes anything on PC.

You're probably correct, I should have said "so far". But so far the only exclusive game I've had to miss out on was MGS4 (and I'm not saying that's easy, I love MGS). But one game isn't enough. It'll probably change when the new Ico appears and a few other sony first party titles, I'll probably be forced to get a ps3 then. I still don't see me ever having to get a 360 though this gen, same as xbox last gen. They're too damn keen to port em over to PC.

Raist

Banned
Naruto said:

There was an interview back in july 07 with QD's boss, about them going exclusive and making a partnership with SCE. Was on a french VG website, mind you. I remember I translated it here a while ago.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Loudninja said:
Yess there game is now first party, it was listed in there press kit as first party.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11986227&postcount=4300
There is technically a difference though. For example, Gears of War is a 1st party game for MS, but they don't own the IP (it's owned by Epic). Gears is still exclusive by a contract however, and MS has the right of first refusal on any of the sequels.

SCE is pretty notorious for demanding ownage of IPs for games they publish though. You'll hardly find anything they publish that they don't own the IP for, from big games like Resistance to small ones like Stardust, to even demos like Linger in Shadows. If they prance around with this being a 1st party game that they publish, you can almost bet they either own IP or some kind of heavy contractual control over it.

Loudninja

Marconelly said:
There is technically a difference though. For example, Gears of War is a 1st party game for MS, but they don't own the IP (it's owned by Epic). Gears is still exclusive by a contract however, and MS has the right of first refusal on any of the sequels.

SCE is pretty notorious for demanding ownage of IPs for games they publish though.

Sorry you are right,but they do have the rights to game though, not sure about the IP.

Private Hoffman said:
So does Sony own the IP to Heavy Rain?

i don't know if Sony owns the ip, but for sure they are funding and going to publish and market it. maybe the ip is in QD's hands, but data code and everything else is in sony's ones.

EDIT: and what about Linger in Shadows? i thought it was coming to the psn? or was it only a tech demo?

Kabouter said:
Really, the only other one is A Vampyre Story isn't it? The rest is often ambitious, but big budget, hardly.

Kabouter said:
Well, most adventures released nowadays still aren't 3D. More like 2.5D. 3D characters walking around in a 2D background. And I have to say, I've enjoyed a lot of games made like that in recent years, especially The Moment of Silence, which I can recommend to anyone.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll have to check em out.

Top Bottom