• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 gets new look at GDC 2023

StueyDuck

No clearer indication that you’ve run out of grown up arguments.

I really don’t care.
My friend is learning UE5 for her multimedia studio. She’s been heavily enthused about metahumans for a while. We had a nice chat about the Metahumans showcase yesterday. That’s literally it.

The only person driven to strong emotion over this video seems to be you. Alas.
Good for you sweetpea

It's worthless convening with a console warrior I'd rather not waste my time

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Ok? Cool tech demo with just a face being rendered. We already know ue5 can render insane tech demos. Show us the gameplay idiots.
According to some *cough console warriors on this forum that is an insane thing to think. You should love tech demos. And don't you dare ask about the actual game 🤣

GymWolf

Pretty much your whole comparison falls apart with 2 games which aren't even announced. And we're talking about Xbox not Sony. Xbox has announced pretty much a lot of games early and haven't seen of heard shit about it for years.

It's not what Sony is doing here.
So you pick the bad example but ignore the 2 good ones (spidey 2 and factions 2), got it.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
According to some *cough console warriors on this forum that is an insane thing to think. You should love tech demos. And don't you dare ask about the actual game 🤣

I know, right? GDC is entirely the wrong forum to show tech demos and engine advances.
All game developers need to see is gameplay trailers.

It looks ok.
The skin shader is better but overall it doesn't look as good as for example Shadow of the Tomb Raider on last gen consoles.
I hope they also animate her neck and not just her face, this was really well done in Tomb Raider.

skit_data

It is the same actress as the first game, isn’t it?
She looks very different from the first game (possibly due to the blue paint covering her eyebrows in the first game). I guess it could also be that they aged her up a bit, in the first game I couldn’t really tell if she was supposed to be in her early teens or twenties for some reason.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I know, right? GDC is entirely the wrong forum to show tech demos and engine advances.

Think the problem here is that they are showing unreal 5 capabilities. You can check the rest, and meta human.

It’s 2023, when was the matrix demo? That was also very impressive but it’s about time we see the tech in game.

They showed that EV jeep driving and that was gameplay.

eNT1TY

Iunno, that short clip looks like your typical AAA game cutscene close up shot of any main character. The real test would be how environments and characters look during traversal and combat.

Senua

Gold Member
I'm not trying to do anything, except take a moment to point out how ridiculous it is for people to think you're salty if you're not impressed with a CGI trailer.

I dont know what Ninja Theory is capable of outside of Unreal Engine CGI and Hellblade 1. Need to see some real gameplay.
Do you know what CGI is? This is realtime.

Kvally

Banned
Dust GIF by Xbox

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Jesus that looked pretty fucking incredible to me but this being Gaf, peeps are always gonna tear it downor find fault whereas all I seen was some incredible facial tech, hopefully this is the absolute banger that Xbox needs/deserves

hyperbertha

Look at the post above me. This shit is false advertising and we already have idiots thinking hellblade will look like this (despite having an actual gameplay demo that looks far far worse). This kind of tech demos aren't revolutionary. There is nothing new on display.

Ozriel

M$FT
Think the problem here is that they are showing unreal 5 capabilities. You can check the rest, and meta human.

It’s 2023, when was the matrix demo? That was also very impressive but it’s about time we see the tech in game.

They showed that EV jeep driving and that was gameplay.

This was an Unreal Engine show, for Epic, by Epic. They've brought in partners to show off engine features, in this case Ninja Theory to show off the Metahumans tech and facial animation of Metahumans.
This is not the context for revealing free flowing gameplay for a first party title, itself a marketing tool.

Look at the post above me. This shit is false advertising and we already have idiots thinking hellblade will look like this (despite having an actual gameplay demo that looks far far worse). This kind of tech demos aren't revolutionary. There is nothing new on display.

Facial animation isn't new. It's been in games for decades.

Unreal Engine Metahumans is relatively new, and animating MetaHumans with high resolution camera rigs is new tech for MetaHumans that's showing up in a few months. That is what Epic sought to demo.

The real issue is that some folks stubbornly refuse to understand the context. This is GDC - Game Developers Conference, and it's all about sharing tech with developers to go out there and make games with those tech.

The amount of salt and concern on display here from people who say they have no interest in this game is pretty revolutionary.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
So you pick the bad example but ignore the 2 good ones (spidey 2 and factions 2), got it.

Insomniac hasn't shown 4 years in a row some "look at the faces" kinda techdemos. Hell Spidey 2 will even be released before this game which was announced BEFORE Spiderman 2. Factions 2 or what the game will be called hasn't been announced that long ago.

So again, your whole argument was and is weak as hell.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Need a vote on if this will be the most graphically amazing looking game of the gen when it launches...I bet its gonna look batshit bonkers....

Can't wait to see PC ultra settings footage....make my 4090 weep

GymWolf

Insomniac hasn't shown 4 years in a row some "look at the faces" kinda techdemos. Hell Spidey 2 will even be released before this game which was announced BEFORE Spiderman 2. Factions 2 or what the game will be called hasn't been announced that long ago.

So again, your whole argument was and is weak as hell.
They already showed a gameplay demo even if it was pretty scripted, that is more than just face tech and sure as hell more than we saw about spiderman 2, we don't even have a date for hb2, for what we know, it could be released at the end of next year, maybe they don't have a good enough demo to show, this was a tech event where they showed some face tech related to metahuman, you people just seems bitter because people are praising the graphic of the game.

The model didn’t blink once they are still way behind the best Naughty Dog can produce in animation, lipsynch and emotion. The quality of the model is superb and that is it.

The actress didn't blink for 30 seconds, therefore they're way behind Naughty Dog in animation, lip synch and emotion. Makes total sense.

Matsuchezz

The actress didn't blink for 30 seconds, therefore they're way behind Naughty Dog in animation, lip synch and emotion. Makes total sense.

I don't know if this was performed live and that is why it does not blink. It instantly caught my eye. But then again they have been working on this game since forever. This is a tech demo, and as far as i know they polish this shit for these shows. So, there should be systems in place that are not there, I love Ninja Theory games, but they are not the tech wizards some think they are. This kind of fidelity comes from the UE5 itself.

Last edited:
I don't know if this was performed live and that is why it does not blink. It instantly caught my eye. But then again they have been working on this game since forever. This is a tech demo, and as far as i know they polish this shit for these shows.

I love Ninja Theory games, but they are not the tech wizards some think they are. This kind of fidelity comes from the UE5 itself.

"They should have polished it for these shows" because Melina Jeurgens didn't blink enough for you within 30 seconds?

Ninja Theory aren't tech savvy, it's just "UE5 doing all the work" huh?
You think those are just stock UE5 assets and presets you're looking at?
Lords of the Fallen and Fortnite are on UE5 as well..care to explain why they look so different from Hellblade 2?

You clearly have no idea what you're on about..but I must say, if my work was subject to such herculean attempts to nitpick, I'd be flattered beyond belief.

Last edited:
Top Bottom