• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 gets new look at GDC 2023

DavidGzz

Yeah, we are finally going to get some games that look next gen. Even the devs of Lords of The Fallen are showing off some mind-blowing graphics.

BoxFresh123

How are they hyping? We have like 3 shows/videos in 4 years. This is just another game in development. I almost forgot about it since we’ve seen so little about it.
How many games did they put alongside the first Series X reveal?

Even if they're not constantly hyping it they have put it on a pedestal somewhat.

Dolodolo

This looks really cool and like a nextgen
True, I'm not sure that they will be able to maintain the same quality of faces in the game itself, but we'll see.

StueyDuck

We've had people trot out Cyberpunk talk for Starfield and now Hellblade 2. Forza Motorsport next?
Just because you've seen idiots compare Cyberpunk to starfield doesn't mean I have.

Maybe don't generalize and impose your own inadequacies on others.

I don't compare to Cyberpunk lightly, that was a game I warned many about before release, the fact that all we've seen is 3 tech demos of an over acted highly pre rendered face pulling silly poses directly at a camera instead of any actual game since 2019 when announced (meaning the game has been in development for longer) is disconcerting for me.

To my original point we should have seen at least some form of game by now and the fact that it's just more tech demos is worrying like Cyberpunk was worrying.

I guess people would rather see silly faces then video games these days

Last edited:

amigastar

It seems to me that for now the difference of Unreal Engine 4 and 5 is very minor of what the engine is capable of.

Aaron Olive

facebook-robot.gif
Get your ass to Mars!
NearConsiderateAntelope-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
They're gearing up for that E3 showcase I see. Can't show too much till then, just a tease.

Also, this is the best looking 3D render of Senua, till date. Obviously, that reveal where she sings that tribal song, was a target render, and the next one was downgraded. This one screams nextgen and looks real-time, with insane LoD. There's something very uneasy about her in this new rendition, and I think that's what they're aiming for.

Ozriel

M$FT
Just because you've seen idiots compare Cyberpunk to starfield doesn't mean I have.

Maybe don't generalize and impose your own inadequacies of others.

I don't compare to Cyberpunk lightly, that was a game I warned many about before release, the fact that all we've seen is 3 tech demos of an over acted highly pre rendered face pulling silly poses directly at a camera instead of any actual game since 2019 when announced (meaning the game has been in development for longer) is disconcerting for me.

To my original point we should have seen at least some form of game by now and the fact that it's just more tech demos is worrying like Cyberpunk was worrying.

None of that is ‘worrying’ or ‘concerning’ to me. Games take time to make, and Ninja Theory has a solid track record.
The game was revealed early in development. There are well documented COVID related delays to location photogrammetry among other things. Microsoft is clearly saving gameplay blowouts for its major conferences. Third parties are not expected to use an Unreal Engine conference at GDC as a major marketing event.

There are multiple games Microsoft is keeping under wraps until close to release. Playground’s Fable. InXile’s new AAA RPG. Hellblade 2. Obsidian’s Avowed. Are all these to be compared to Cyberpunk now?

I guess people would rather see silly faces then video games these days

I didn’t expect to see gameplay of first party exclusives at an UE5 Metahumans demo. Literally drowning in games to play at the moment, so I’m perfectly happy waiting until to showcase to see more of these games.

Ozriel

M$FT
How many games did they put alongside the first Series X reveal?

Even if they're not constantly hyping it they have put it on a pedestal somewhat.

Godfall was shown off at the PS5 reveal. Was it on a pedestal too?

Well, you actually can show gameplay at GDC, there's nothing stopping developers from that (time-stamped):

Key difference is, Hellblade 2 is a first party game. Vastly different stakes.

StueyDuck

None of that is ‘worrying’ or ‘concerning’ to me. Games take time to make, and Ninja Theory has a solid track record.
The game was revealed early in development. There are well documented COVID related delays to location photogrammetry among other things. Microsoft is clearly saving gameplay blowouts for its major conferences. Third parties are not expected to use an Unreal Engine conference at GDC as a major marketing event.

There are multiple games Microsoft is keeping under wraps until close to release. Playground’s Fable. InXile’s new AAA RPG. Hellblade 2. Obsidian’s Avowed. Are all these to be compared to Cyberpunk now?

I didn’t expect to see gameplay of first party exclusives at an UE5 Metahumans demo. Literally drowning in games to play at the moment, so I’m perfectly happy waiting until to showcase to see more of these games.
The warrior is strong with this one

Well I'm happy pulling silly faces makes you excited for a videogame 👍

Good for you

Last edited:
Well, you actually can show gameplay at GDC, there's nothing stopping developers from that (time-stamped):

To be fair, Kojima(when he was with Konami) would randomly bring a 1-2 hour presentation to demonstrate every single graphics and gameplay aspect of his game either in TGS or GDC(or both). I remember videos of him doing this for MGS V, 4, 3, and Peace Walker. I think there might be footage of him doing it with MGS2 as well. I'd gladly call him the king of gameplay demonstrations and consider him a gigantic exception to everyone else's rules.

Twinblade

Wasn't a fan of hellblade, but the graphics from this video looks good. I just don't trust the actual game looking like that on release day.

Last edited:

NahaNago

It looks good and shows what the developers are capable of making. Now will the game actually look like that is the question. Plus they don't have much going on in the background.

Spaceman292

Banned
its kinda ridiculous that we havent seen anything of combat or puzzles yet. the game was announced a long ass time ago. we should have seen alot more by now. actually, the same goes for alot of microsoft 1st party games.
Probably because it's basically the same as the first game. Light, heavy, block, cool counter, super slow mo mode

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
bro its a gdc not e3
What? GDC literally stands for GAME Developers Conference 😆
Hell, Fortnite had like a several minutes long demo. Gameplay gets shown off at GDC all the time.
I don't think that expectation is unreasonable considering the venue.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
It doesn't matter, all i can see is people bitching over some nice tech showed during an event made to show new tech.

Because it's the only thing what this studio is showing now for years. Some empty background and only one character? I mean we have seen many of these kinds of tech demo's for years already, but none of them really materialise the quality in-game.

It looks really good, but this is more due to UE5 and Metahumen then Hellblade itself.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It was boring so I believe you.
Absolutely. The original Hellblade makes RDR2 seem like a summer blockbuster action flick in terms of stuff going. It's one of the most boring games I've ever played. Tried it for two hours and just gave up.

Portugeezer

Looks incredible, even though the exaggerated expressions look weird (common for games to exaggerate movements and expressions for effect).

There is no way that's what it'll look like running on a Series X|S.... or even PC.
Lol. They said it's on the latest AMD hardware, but realtime cutscenes have always been able to push the boundaries more than anything, every generation.

GymWolf

Because it's the only thing what this studio is showing now for years. Some empty background and only one character? I mean we have seen many of these kinds of tech demo's for years already, but none of them really materialise the quality in-game.

It looks really good, but this is more due to UE5 and Metahumen then Hellblade itself.
I mean, they showed a teaser trailer and a long gameplay video already...

How much do we saw about tsushima 2?
Spidey 2?
New bend game?
Factions 2?
New nd single player game?
Hell, sony didn't even bothered showing some gameplay for a dlc that is out in weeks...

I get that people want to see some more gameplay but where iscthe same rush for stuff that is coming out this year or next year?

Kikorin

This looks impressive, but I'm pretty sure just showing "realtime cutscenes" like this or the first reveal trailer for such a long time will going to backfire pretty heavily when they'll show the in-game model. We have seen the "gameplay" video, but to me looked more like an interactive cutscene. Still curious about the final game tho.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I mean, they showed a teaser trailer and a long gameplay video already...

How much do we saw about tsushima 2?
Spidey 2?
New bend game?
Factions 2?
New nd single player game?
Hell, sony didn't even bothered showing some gameplay for a dlc that is out in weeks...

I get that people want to see some more gameplay but where iscthe same rush for stuff that is coming out this year or next year?

Pretty weak comparison and you know it.

GymWolf

Pretty weak comparison and you know it.
How is it weak? We don't even know if h2 is a 2023 game but you are ok with zero gameplay for spidey that is confirmed for this year?

Just that one alone would be a good counter, you put factions 2 and some of the others and there is really no weakness in my argument unless you are invested in the console war...

And ninia theory is not a korean team, they are a microsoft first party team, hb2 is not a vaporware, the game exist, some people act like they are hiding some big secret...

I want to see gameplay aswell but an event based on tech is not the right place.

Doesn't microsoft has a big even to show starfield and other stuff in a couple of months?

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
How is it weak? We don't even know if h2 is a 2023 game but you are ok with zero gameplay for spidey that is confirmed for this year?

Just that one alone would be a good counter, you put factions 2 and some of the others and there is really no weakness in my argument unless you are invested in the console war...

And ninia theory is not a korean team, they are a microsoft first party team, hb2 is not a vaporware, the game exist, some people act like they are hiding some big secret...

I want to see gameplay aswell but an even based on tech is not the right place.

Doesn't microsoft has a big even to show starfield and other stuff in a couple of months?

Pretty much your whole comparison falls apart with 2 games which aren't even announced. And we're talking about Xbox not Sony. Xbox has announced pretty much a lot of games early and haven't seen of heard shit about it for years.

It's not what Sony is doing here.

Last edited:

BoxFresh123

Godfall was shown off at the PS5 reveal. Was it on a pedestal too?

PS5 reveal was an hour+ so they showed the launch line-up and more Series X had minutes during the game awards and they chose Hellblade II.

Hardly comparable.

Last edited:
I was not a fan of the first game, but this looks phenominal. The facial capture tech is awesome and should make that part of "filming" games take way less time since the actor just has to wear a hat now. I do find the actress overdoes the facial movement though, like she's channeling Jim Carrey, but the first game was the same way so no turning back now.

Ozriel

M$FT
The warrior is strong with this one

No clearer indication that you’ve run out of grown up arguments.

Well I'm happy pulling silly faces makes you excited for a videogame 👍

Good for you

I really don’t care.
My friend is learning UE5 for her multimedia studio. She’s been heavily enthused about metahumans for a while. We had a nice chat about the Metahumans showcase yesterday. That’s literally it.

The only person driven to strong emotion over this video seems to be you. Alas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom